WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Tracey, glad that Michaela is ok. Love the face paintings!

You can grow lettuce in containers. I would pick a leaf variety though as they can grow closer together. It"s not too late to simply plant from seed. Just make sure your container has drainage holes as lettuce needs consistent watering when in containers but roots don't like to sit in water. Give it a try. Fresh homegrown lettuce is so much better than what you buy in the stores.

Heather, enjoying your pics. Absolutely gorgeous scenery.

Joy
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Heather, I would have been up in the cable car in an instant! Did one in Switzerland when I was on a river cruise and loved it. Wasn't as high as this one appears to be.

Joy
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Oh, I really need to think of words to put into my Word art. I came up with Mother, daughter, wife, grandmother, dancer, and caregiver. That was as far as I got.......An interesting exercise in self thought.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Kylia ~ Hope you get over the digestive issues soon. And, husband being stung by two wasp was a bad ending to the week.

Carol in GA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,050 Member
    Options
    Barbara was it you who mentioned jogging with arms crossed? It worked for me! Thanks! I got past the two steps and closer to fifty. And my knee is okay so far! Progress is a marvelous thing.

Kylia and Lisa, you have such fortitude. I would be knocked flat by the digestive episodes you describe. I used to have a lot more issues but now I rarely have even the mildest upset. I wish I could tell you what healed me, but I don't know. Maybe more fiber and less red pepper. Such an individual thing. Anyway, hope you have better days.

Annie in Delaware
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,746 Member
    Options
    myvt9v4crh wrote: »
    Last night we had thunder & lightning that provided quite a show. This morning there are a few raindrops & the humming bird has visited the feeder. Air quality seems a bit better today than yesterday, although skies in the distance are gray & a bit smoky. I wonder whether the Canadian fires are still burning. I hope things are improving there & air quality improves for all of us.

Katla in Illinois

I was curious after your question. It looks like we still have many out of control fires.

1y55enlhegmm.png
    uias9gcqay3e.png
    ruszqjflqvam.png
    hciqc6scr768.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,961 Member
    Options
    Kylia- hope you continue to feel better.

I have been super lazy the past two weeks- not walking because Ezie is out of school so not over at the wetlands 4 days a week like I was. I really miss it. Lazy on tracking my food and skipped weighing myself for the past three Sunday's.
    Got on the scale this morning and up 3lbs. Need to get this under control. Too many little snacks. Got some really great rice crackers-black pepper or spicy. Open a bag(they are small bags thankfully) and before the day is over, I have eaten the whole bag full. They are just 10cal each but not supposed to eat the whole bag full.

Mom's birthday party was last Sunday- she had a great time but so much stress on all of us, mostly due to the room mate. Mom did stay late with a friend(the only person that stayed to help mom, sister and I clean up) and the friend knows how we feel about the room mate so gently talked to mom about how it is affecting all of us. She stayed so late(sister and I drove home at 9:15 to lock up the chickens, take the dogs out and put all the food from the party away in mom's fridges) we almost went looking for her. She lives 10miles from town. She got home at 11:15, said she had a great talk with Pat.
    Got to see an old friend that lived two houses from us-first time in 43 yrs. That was great. He told us that he had stopped by to see mom, she wasn't there but the room mate was. She wouldn't give him mom's contact info(cell number/home number) after he asked her 5 different times. We made sure he has it now and he will be going out to visit mom more. I have asked many friends to do this. The room mate is isolating mom by being so toxic(that is how our friend put it).
    I will be going up more often. It is crazy that I was there three nights and the room mate never said a word to me, made a snide comment of the food I was making for the party right as she walked by but that was it.

Fitbit acted up- wouldn't sinc. Dh had to uninstall then reinstall it. Now I can't figure out which email/password he used and need to sinc my watch because the time is off. Glad I looked at my computer. Would have been 20 min. late to church if I used my watch.
    Will have him look at it when I get back.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,397 Member
    Options
    Kylia - So very sorry about the gut issues, dear heart. They're painful in the extreme, and I'm glad the doctor is treating it seriously. I just finished 14 days of flagyl and cipro, and am having a couple days where my body is recovering - the antibiotics tend to kill off the good bacteria as well, and it takes them a bit to gear up to work correctly. Hope you start feeling so much better.

Annie - If the last couple years have taught me anything, it's that I haven't died from pain that I thought would kill me, or embarrassment that I thought would kill me, or humilitiation because I could not control my bodily functions. I am still absorbing this knowledge of myself, but had you told me five years ago, I would have said the same thing you did, that I wasn't strong enough to deal with these things.

I was wrong.

I think it's quite possible that we all (including you) are stronger than we know. Until we are tested (and hopefully, we will NOT be, I might add) we doubt ourselves, with or without reason. Still trying to figure all this out. But I genuinely think it's in all of us.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    Nice nap....
    Kylia- sheesh what a heck of a Thursday... hope both you and the DH are on the mend.
    I had a wonderful nap. Now
    Jean is telling me stories..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    July 2023 Jump Back Up
    Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate meditation.
    Meditation: daily. 8/30(82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks /2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 117/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100% should be 137 by August 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)46/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%,93%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 24/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Take a small step to help overcome a problem or worry. I am working on helping my son through this tough time by being in contact with his case worker and tracking his location.
    2. Adopt a growth mindset. Change “I can’t” into “I can’t…yet”. I try to never use those words. I follow Yoda’s ‘Do or not, there is no try”
    3. Be willing to ask for help when you need it.
    4. Find something to look forward to today.
    5. Get the basics right: eat well, exercise and go to bed on time.
    6. Pause, breathe, and feel your feet firmly on the ground.
    7. Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy.
    8. Avoid saying “must” or “should” to yourself today.
    9. Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture.
    10. Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them.
    11. Look for something positive in a difficult situation.
    12. Write you worries down and save them for a specific “worry time”.
    13. Challenge negative thoughts. Find an alternative interpretation.
    14. Get outside and move to help clear your head.
    15. Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step.
    16. Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts.
    17. Use one of your strengths to overcome a challenge today.
    18. Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter.
    19. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.
    20. When things go wrong, pause and be kind to yourself.
    21. Identify what helped you get through a tough time in your life.
    22. Find 3 things you feel hopeful about and write them down.
    23. Remember that all feelings and situations pass in time.
    24. Choose to see something good about what has gone wrong.
    25. Notice when you are being judge mental and be kind instead.
    26. Catch yourself over-reacting and take a deep breath.
    27. Write down 3 things you are grateful for (even if today was hard).
    28. Think about what you can learn about a recent problem.
    29. Be a realistic optimist. Focus on what could go right.,
    30. Reach out to a friend, family member, or colleague for support.
    31. Remember we all struggle at times. It’s part of being human.
    RVRita in NM
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 4hrs, vacuum, dust, laundry fold and put away, make hummingbird food, trim hedges, water plants, bathe Lucy and yogi, change bedsheets, etc= 1000c est.