WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Barbara ~ Congrats on your weight loss. And, the thought of smelling the fresh forest sounds so refreshing.

Debbie & Rebecca & Michelle ~ You are all to be admired for your thriftiness and cooking ability. We enjoy reading about the things you make.

Organizing is a total OUT in my home. My husband has managed to put his things in every room, closet, and open space in our house. Almost all of it is things that he has hoarded. And, if I attempt to move anything he has a hissy fit. I would love to have a living and dining room free of his stuff so I could feel good about being able to see it clean and neat.

Carol in GA

Thank you- I really do enjoy cooking and wish it was appreciated a bit more. Irritating when I cook a big meal and I am the only one that wants to eat when it is ready.
    My dh is the same way but it is stuff he buys online because he couldn't pass up a bargain. Each time I clear a spot out, he fills it with more stuff. He is even putting small things in front of my dressers so if I want to get anything out of the bottom drawers, I have to move his stuff.
    I moved everything so I could close the bedroom door(before we had the catio and the door has to stay open) to block the light and noise from him from his tv in his room, a few days later, more stuff was put there. The only room he doesn't really have anything in is the living room which I have too much kids/crafts stuff in here so no room for his stuff.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Sleep was not very good last night, even though I was very tired. Between dh waking me up when he came to bed, him on his cell phone with the lights in my eyes, it being very hot and the darn mosquitos that came in from the catio I guess - Had at least 5 big bites before I got up at 1AM and took a cold shower.
    Got up early and walked for almost an hour. Already a bit warm. Supposed to cool down starting tomorrow. Just found out Ezie's mom is off work this week-took a week vacation for her birthday week) but forgot to tell me. I will have her my regular days except she is taking Ezie to Monterey tomorrow.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ever heard of Whidbey Island?

I'm watching Beachfront Bargain Hunt: Renovation, featuring Whidbey Island.

Machka in Oz

Lol I sign my name with Whidbey Island😂😂
    I will look that up.👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    LizzyinWA wrote: »
    New here. Very new! Just jumping in...
    Matchka - I lived on Whidbey for 20 years. A lot of "firsts" on that Island, first graduation, first house, first apartment, first car, first (and only) marriage, and more. It is a beautiful place. Loved being able to get out on a boat and catch dinner. Loved the drive onto the island, either by ferry or the big beautiful bridge.

Re-starting the weight loss journey. Currently hanging out in PNW. Retired to the RV life.
    LizzyinWA (that signature is probably going to need adjusting as we are not always in WA anymore)

Hey Lizzy, nice to meet you. My husband and I moved to Whidbey in 2018, to share a large rental home with Navy son stationed here. So we live in Oak Harbor. Its been a transition as our place before was an apartment in Hammond Oregon, between Astoria and Seaside. Still miss the roar of the ocean. We just ate at a restaurant on the feeder road into Mt Vernon. It used to be called Farmhouse Restaurant, but a chain bought it and its now called O'Donnell's, an Irish pub restaurant. Great food! Finally they have stopped work or painting on The Deception Pass bridge so it looks grand without scaffolding on it. There was a bear sighted on the island awhile back! Of course Bruiser is still lumbering around. He's quite an old elk now.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    l9jgooliro18.jpg
    Athena on the WA side of Bonneville Dam.💖👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Oops....while I have managed to maintain current if not goal weight, DH has gained 16 pounds in 3 months! It would help if he didn't drink so much. Concern includes fatty liver as his liver blood work was almost double what it has been. I said changes in diet and adding exercise will help, but he needs to help me help him. I can't do it for him. Seriously! He says it's because he quit smoking last September....funny he lost weight over the winter...I am sure snacking on cheezits while I am cooking dinner doesnt help.
    So to help us both I reckon a menu is in order with easy prep/quick meals, crockpot, microwave. Something to work on while on vacation....I like variety and fresh. He likes burgers and fries.

Back to work
    Much ❤️
    Kylia in wet Ohio

Dh prefers take out food over home cooked. He would be very happy if it was meat and rice(He is Japanese so not a fan of potatoes). He will eat a little veggies if they are on his plate. He is a HUGE snacker too. Bags of chips are gone in an evening, he also loves sweets-
    NOT good choices for a diabetic with high blood pressure.
    Like you said, he has to help with this, you can't do all the changes for him.
    I can cook very healthy food but can't force him to eat it. He will eat left overs from Chinese takeout or pizza but won't eat hardly any of the left overs I cook. He says they are really good the first time he eats them but always some reason to not eat them a second time.
    It is SO irritating when I am in cooking, dh is snacking, then at dinner time, I eat alone because he isn't hungry. Then, when I am going to bed, he is in the kitchen snacking again, and not on what I cook.

deal with the blame stuff here too- so annoying.

Debbie
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Athena has such pretty eyes and a sweet smile.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Michele - so far the only place I've found free books is the library - and I get 99% of them on Kindle, lol. It's hot and muggy out here. I'll take your pool and Lisa's rain!

Tracey - good luck with your classes, I'm sure you'll do well. Glad the gas smell went away and no harm done.

Debbie - that jam looks great. I can smell it from here!

Barbara - we're happy dancing with you with your weight loss. Thanks for posting some of the secrets to your success. ;)

Kylia - you have a challenge dealing with your husband's eating/health and the blame game. For the longest time, I would change the subject when mine started in or just shut my ears. Then one day I finally had it and I'm sure the neighbors could hear me unload about how hurtful and unfair his behavior was. In the final few years, before he passed, I stood up for myself more and he backed off the critical remarks. As I look back, I wish I would have spoken up sooner.

Machka and other spellers - I always get tripped up over spelling occasion. I generally want to leave out a "c" or add an "s". I agree, Latin and phonics helped a lot.

I saw this on FB this morning - This is pretty much how I eat and have for years- the beans, the nuts, the fruits/veggies, whole grains comprise at least 70% of my food intake, with the rest being meat, eggs, and dairy. The reason I gained weight in the past year is pretty much the salty snacks and packaged sweets in the "Foods to Avoid". ;)

Blue Zones list:

https://www.bluezones.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Four-to-Always-Four-to-Avoid.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2QwuS-tsfyx7b0Dma4HHzSWFe5moZ5FiRnz8UplRED2BVrHqMrZdj2uxo

I ran to town this morning - I see two pages from you gals I need to read. :D Good job!

On a whim, I stopped in at the courthouse and spoke to one of my old bosses for a minute - asked him if the department needed someone to work maybe 3 hours a week, just filing, organizing, whatever. I actually worked for him 6 to 9 hours per week, kind of a make my own schedule - just get the job done situation- before I retired. In that way, I could get some social contact one day a week. I thought about telling him I'd volunteer then I thought - why not ask for $$? I'm in no rush and have a few others I'll tap. I decided I'm not ready to be assigned to a volunteer "schedule" - so the flexible days/hours would suit.

MY ACCOUNTABILITY for August 7, 2023:

Up .5# .....within 6# of goal range. Waist at goal, hips 1” from goal range. Able to fit into some of my pants again.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State (near Mt. Rainier & Mt. St. Helens). Washington is the Evergreen State but the west side of the Cascades always seems to go through summer drought, unlike the midwest and eastern part of the country that usually gets some rain throughout the summer. :p

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Whidislander
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Athena has such pretty eyes and a sweet smile.

She's such a sweetheart💖🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Rita-Thanks so much for sharing the information from VeryWell. It really hit home for an issue I am dealing with.
    Allie-good news it isn't Lupus-hope they figure out what it is.
    Margaret-Walt sounds like a person worth celebrating. I like the retirement gift.
    Machka-you let some of that sarcasm slip out again! Who would have heard of Whidby Island! Cool when they feature an area where someone you know lives.
    Husbands and blame-well there is my reminder that there may be some benefit to being a widow!
    Carol-just to clarify-I do know how to replace faucets, I have saved money by replacing faucets-but this time I am paying someone to do it!
    Lanette-I can't remember-did you retire from a government job? Only wondering because you said courthouse. Here many of those positions and part of the state employee retirement system and there are some rules about going back to work-may want to double check any impact on retirement.
    Vicki-good for you for putting your foot down with son and boss!

I did get 3 miles in after work today. It rained off and on most of the day today. Was productive today. I am sleeping better at night even if I don't get 8 hours and am more alert throughout the day. So far very glad I advocated for myself. Work from home tomorrow!

Time to wind down. I still wake up between 4-4:45 so I do get tired close to 8!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) We took a 30 minute drive this afternoon after running errands then came back and made cucumber, zucchini, onion soup. The weather is beautiful and warm here but there is no actual yard work to do except watering and picking cucumber and cherry tomatoes.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options