WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,241 Member
    Options
    Terri - thank you so much for the poem. It's a great reminder that there are some benefits that come with age! One is, knowing our own mind. 'To thine own self be true.' I am not nearly so afraid of 'failure' as I used to be and that has allowed me to be far more adventurous and creative. Plus, 'what other people think of me is none of my business'. :p Plus, I don't mind asking for help. I'm an old lady after all. :laugh:

I went running this morning, with only three sit downs.: It's ages since I last ran, because of the weather, but today was sunny, if a bit breezy. Because DH is away at cricket, I gave myself the day off writing and dyed my roots. Feels so much better. :) Had a lovely laksa style soup for lunch with prawns and shiritaki noodles.
    Had a nap. Then took my blood pressure again with better results, so texted those in to the doctor. Within normal range, but on the higher side. I think they are OK. I take 10 mg Amlodipine.
    I've got routine blood tests tomorrow afternoon. Plus they will check on my liver for hemachromatosis. It was borderline last time.

Must go. Zooming my girlfriends.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,469 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I acquired hobbies and activities because other people said they were good things to do until I my days were overrun with stuff to do. Today it is important to me to know what I have and where it is, to use my time with people and activities that are important to me and say no to the ones that aren't. I have things that are important to me and do things that are important.

"The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Barbie - Thank you for that. When I stopped working, I was able to move away from the deadlines and demands and the "good things," that others would have me do, whether for a paycheck or because they thought I should or would do what they chose, and sometimes from my own misplaced sense of obligation or responsibility. As I've begun to tentatively trust in my recovery, I've finally realized a few others. The biggest is that, if I'm doing anything now, it's because it's important to me. "No" is not a dirty word or an insult, and requires no explanation or excuse.

And Rebecca and everyone who's said so - minimalism is just exactly as individual as everything else, I agree. My minimalism may be someone else's clutter, and vice versa.

Carol - So very pleased your knees are doing well!

About to stream the finale of the first Good Omens series, and then we will start Series Two this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Happy August, everyone,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

And you can't make your mate be a minimalist if they don't wanna! I did convince him that a stuffed drawer of socks was one step from ludicrous, so we downsized to 4 each of ankle socks, and a heavy pair of socks. Plus he has a couple of the cute hospital socks. Our dresser is his mountain of organized chaos and my side has one container to hold earrings, jewelry. The yin yang couple.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Here is the full calendar typed out. Use it if you’d like. Thank Barbie for another new month!

ALTRUISTIC AUGUST 2023

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with.
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply.
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today.
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about.
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why.
    10. Chick in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Barbie, many many thanks as always for the new month’s link. :love: the meme.
    Belated welcome @Marcia_Cassiano from FL!
    Rita that WAS a funny skunk story. :love: the pic of tricky Wicket!
    Tina good to see you popping in. Safe travels!
    Wow Kim, What’s left for your other pot luck guests to bring ;}
    Sue thanks for taking part in that study. Hope it finds blood markers more effective than colonoscopies and mammograms… ;)
    Rebecca, Lisa, Tracey, what you all said about smokers not quitting until they want to is so very very very true. It was for me. (That and pneumonia, 8 days in hospital and 5 weeks out of work. Smoke Free since May 1999. Yay me!)
    Machka would you remind me if your sense of smell returned after the surgery?
    Lisa :love: the pic of your gs on the beach. “One more key tap…” made me snort my water. :laugh:
    Rebecca OH that Athena! What a comic!
    Ginny thanks for sharing your toe-to-toe. Wish Joe understood that we have to be responsible and advocate for our own health care, the providers simply don’t have the time. They make rX based on study statistics and not the individual situation. At my last, the PA simply cut and pasted conflicting recommendations for my various dX. Like “More dairy for the osteoporosis.” And “avoid cheese for the hyperlipidemia.” Sheesh.
    Tracey prayers said. ((hugs))
    KJ :love: your neighbor’s inventiveness. Would he let you post pics for us?
    Kayne, add me to the “not bored” contingent. I don’t walk around the house but march in place while watching Jeopardy episodes recorded on my DVR. That way I can fast forward through those dreary commercials. ;)
    Betsy good to see you popping in, Prayers continue for your sister.
    Debbie do you use an old fashioned pressure cooker, or an IP?
    Lanette I sit on something like this and roll along the flowerbed to weed it… but obviously neither recently nor often enough :laugh: https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Cart-Utility-Wagon-Gardening/dp/B016BOX62M
    Thanks for asking Terri for the dance workouts and Terri thanks for providing them! We mostly use our woodstove for drying out when we come in soaked from the rains. Find it most warming. When I get really really cold, I throw a beach towel in the dryer for a few minutes and wrap myself in that. You are made of stern stuff, we keep it much warmer. And during a recent, extended power outage, we hosted an older neighbor for tea, cookies and warming as she had no heat.
    Barbie the newer woodstoves are more efficient and less bad for the environment. That having been said, by gardening and composting you are likely sequestering more carbon than you are releasing back into the air.
    Beth “no thank you” indeed. Your DH and mine must be brothers from another mother with their pocket knife = surgical instrument philosophy. :noway: Sorry to hear about your painful gas, atypical nevis and DH’s heat related incident. Really wish he’d hire the rest of the job out.
    Yay pip! Great smiles. Fingers X’d Addison succeeds.
    Vicki Sorry you had to wait so long to get your swollen foot checked out. Hope its and easy and quick fix.
    Carol, as a child I stepped on our floor furnace’s grid… but only once ;)
    Debbie do you have some WD 40 you could spray on the hinges of the trap? Might help it to “spring.”

Finally caught up. Updates and monthly summary some time tomorrow. For now it’s time to snoozzzzzzz…

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. July: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.

Awe Barbara, thank you, thank you, thank you for quitting smoking.💖😁. We get you longer, because its all about us right?😂💖. Hugs!
    Yes my sister smoking and drinking, it would be nice to see her stop both, and her body would finally breathe a sigh of relief, but I don't see it ever happening.
    Athena is quite the jokester! Very entertaining!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    On Minimalism ...

My husband and I have both downsized dramatically twice in the early 2000s.
    I got rid of about half my stuff in 2004, put the rest into storage, and then spent the next 3 months living out of panniers while cycling around Australia. Then I returned to Canada, lived in 2 rooms in my parent's basement and got my Bachelor of Education.

In 2009, I got rid of about half my stuff. I got it all down to what would fit in a mid-sized bathroom and had that shipped to Australia.

Meanwhile, my husband got rid of more than half his stuff in 2005 and travelled to Victoria to follow the Harvest Trail by bicycle.

Then in 2009, he set up a very small house in preparation for my arrival ... and lost almost all of it in the 2009 Victorian bushfires.

When I arrived in Australia, we lived in a small shack at the back of the property where he worked for a year, with practically nothing. Electricity came from a generator and later solar panels. Heat came from a fireplace. We cooked food in the fireplace or on a Coleman stove. Water came from the rain. We were 2 kilometres from "the grid". It was a very interesting first year together!

After all that, we decided we wanted stuff. So we've filled a small 1140 sq ft house. :)

I don't have any desire at all to get rid of stuff.

However, I do want to organise the office ... eventually. That is a BIG job.

(I've been hoping for a miserable weekend this winter where we have to stay inside and do inside stuff, but that hasn't happened yet. :) When it's nice out, I want to work in the garden, not inside.)

A couple years ago, I managed to find time to organise the dressing room, bathroom and bedroom. I'm reasonably happy with them, although I could tweak a few things. It would probably take me a day or so.
    The lounge room isn't bad. Once the office is done, it will be better because some of the things out here actually belong in there, but there's no point putting them into the office now.
    And my husband surprised me yesterday by doing some fairly significant tidying in the kitchen, although it still needs ... something. I'm just not sure what it needs. I don't go in there much.

And then there's downstairs, which is basically a garage we use as a basement ... as a workout room. It's less than half the size of the main floor. One day I'll have a look at what all is down there.

As for Time Minimalism ...

Sometimes I wish I didn't have deadlines and things I need to do, attend, follow-up with, etc..

Sometimes I feel it's all too much.

Sometimes I wish I could come home in an evening and do nothing. I enjoyed taking a few days and retreating to a cabin in the middle of nowhere last month where I slept, read, and coloured. I needed a break like that.

But right now, Opportunity has dropped into my lap and since I've got at least 11 years of work left till my "official" retirement date ... and maybe longer, I want to make the most of Opportunity. Something has happened I began to believe would never happen ... and I'm enjoying it. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm planning to make the most of it while it's here. :)

Meanwhile, I am making choices of what can stay and what can go. The chiropractic thing I mentioned a few posts up, for example, can go.

Machka in Oz

Having that first year off the grid, well I am awed by that. I would have been a wailing woman in the corner. I appreciate nature, but I need to be separate from it. When we would go Renaissance historical camping I put MANY layers in the tent. We had an inner flap of the canvas bell tent, and first layer was plastic holding down the flap. Then came a blanket that I sewed together a BUNCH of Gerber cloth diapers together. I had dyed them different colors but a great moisture wicking layer. Then came many blankets of various sizes, the finally the top layers, heavy Korean mink blankets (not real mink, like a heavy fleece blanket. No bugs in my tent! The inside of the tent was large enough to fit 4 sleeping bags. Nightly my husband would light incense in the tent, so no bugs would wanna venture in.
    I will state that you have an admirable work ethic. In everything you do, you plan what needs to be done, and do it.👍. I know those facts can weigh on you, but you have tools set in place to help you thru. You inspire me to be more.💖🤗👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    My stats since January. A little confusing but my confusion! I didn’t do so well this last month. I will try to do better in August.

Meditation: daily.31/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Emotionally and physically feeling better otherwise.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 8/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week.(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 155/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)63/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 17/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 26/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 7/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, (100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

RVRita in the oven called NM
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Betsy so sorry to hear about the Covid! Hope it passes quickly!

Michele No I went to BWI in Baltimore. My sister chose it, I don't know why exactly.

Well I made it through the dentist appointment. All good until February. Yay! Maybe my teeth will last me.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    I've been feeling off since Saturday and yesterday tested positive for Covid. Feel like a piece of road kill with fever, cough, no sense of smell or taste and body aches. Yuck...

Betsy

Ah no! Chin up, and be good to yourself.💖🤗. Mentally sending you a mason jar of homemade chicken noodle soup!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Barrie: Thanks for the new thread, and the sage words about the things we do to please others.

Oddly enough, I wrote this poem earlier this morning.

1 August 2023

Living NOW
    I have earned the right to do just what I choose.
    Ought to, must, and should are words I can, and do, refuse.
    Mindfully, I consider what serendipity brings my way,
    with body, mind, and spirit coming into play.

Even mundane tasks can produce an awesome lead,
    if the spirit is willing, and the mind is freed.
    One never knows the minute when creativity will engage,
    and opportunity will stalk across the stage.

I live with eyes wide open, alert for every main chance,
    to stimulate my mind, and change my circumstance.
    Happy and content to greet each new beginning,
    in the certain knowledge that waking up is winning.

© 2023 - Terri Richardson

Beautiful, inspiring poem filled with promise!💖👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Tuesday!
    Rori You are inspiring, brave, graceful, and adventurous! I want to be like you when I grow up ;)I thought of you when I watched a Seth Currie interview on Sunday. He has beautiful eyes! Such a wonderful example of being in charge of his own destiny.
    Vickie I hope you got some answers on foot. Sometimes I get tendinitis in mine. At that point I know to buy new shoes. I do rotate heel heights lots when I have to wear shoes.
    Ginny I agree about having to advocate for self and loved ones especially in medical situations. Long gone are the days of a family doctor that treats the whole person and not the pharmaceutical companies.
    Lannette You also make me smile with your adventures. I love the chicken stories.
    Tracey I am excited for this next chapter in your life!
    Katla You sound much happier these days!

I stopped at store last night and bought two skorts and two body suits. They all looked nice. I struggle with finding shorts and prefer skirts so shorts are a perfect blend. I can't believe body suits are coming back but love the smooth look that is hard for me to get with shirts tucked in.

Minimalism I agree that it is as individual as we are. However, with the continued building of the storage unit business at least around here, we Americans really hold onto too much. Is it the same in other countries? I try to clear out things and intentionally make purchases regularly. There are very few things that I am sentimental about. I have a friend that is sentimental about lots and I struggle to understand. I believe my feelings on that stem from having things stolen when I was 18 from an apartment storage bin plus military moving. Weight limits rein in stuffs.My DH is the opposite-smh. Then again, maybe it my mom being a hoarder that makes me nervous about stuffs.

I was thinking about goals, challenges, life, etc last night. These are generally not high on my priority list, but you inspire me. I would work 4 days a week from 6-2. I would continue education (just not sure in what). I would travel more. I think when I retire I would like to volunteer like Rori at theaters for shows and dance productions. I want to be more organized yet fluid as I grow up. I would love to get in my car and visit all of you stateside and meet you! Then travel to see those overseas. My extended travel dreams include England, Ireland, Wales, Australia, Italy, and the Philippines. I will keep dreaming.

You are all inspirational to me!

Gotta get ready for work-ugh. My only upside for that are my customers. Yes, they ate my customers! I had 8 tell me yesterday that they appreciate all I do for them! That made me feel better. And in spite of what my husband thinks it isn't always free ;)

Make the best decisions you can for the moment.

Remember you are strong, resilient, and beautiful women!

Be proud of your accomplishments both big and small!

Realize you ate important to lots of people and have an impact on lots of lives every day!

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio

I tell my sisters that Navy life kind of made me into a minimalist. It was normal to go thru things every 4 years when we transferred. My 7 years in Japan I noticed they didn't have a lot of things around their homes. The few homes I was invited into. Granted most of them were apartments, so not a lot of storage except the fairly large tatami lined shelves with shoji rice paper doors that held their sleeping mats. The moms homes I did visit, had the kids toys all in containers on the shelving. The kids would proceed to spread toys from one side of the apartment, to the other. I was so amazed! Then part of the play was putting all the toys back into their appropriate containers. Maybe that is why my eldest son is so organized. During his core learning years, that is what was ingrained in him.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Barbie, many many thanks as always for the new month’s link. :love: the meme.

Debbie do you use an old fashioned pressure cooker, or an IP?

Debbie do you have some WD 40 you could spray on the hinges of the trap? Might help it to “spring.”

Finally caught up. Updates and monthly summary some time tomorrow. For now it’s time to snoozzzzzzz…

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. July: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.

I use my IP(different brand but that type). I do have an old fashioned one from the neighbor but have never used it. May use the pot when making jam or something. Nice size.

I need to find the WD 40- I looked last night but didn't see it and sure wasn't going to ask DH. I need to go find it today because, food in the trap is all gone but no possum in the trap. :(

Up early to walk- it was CHILLY at 53 and windy. Glad I wore my old wind breaker. Doesn't fit quite right/too tight but it is light weight but keeps me warm plus it is sentimental- from when former dh was in the Coast Guard. Has the ships name and number on it
    Got home just to get a text from Ezie's mom- her aunt is keeping her for the day so I am off.
    Would have been nice to know and sleep an extra hour(or at least rest an extra hour).
    Oh well, second load of laundry done. The huge jasmine hedge is all cut back. Got the sap all over my jacket so it went into laundry and I will have to wash it out of my hair tonight.
    Dishes are next then out to the garden for a bit I think.
    DH is stuck at his mom's waiting for the phone company to come fix her phone- sometime between 8AM and 6pm. He is NOT happy about that.
    He is going and picking up tacos tonight- $1 each for Taco Tuesday. We haven't tried them here so looking forward to trying them. Six meats to pick from so we will get some of each and get enough for everyone(dh, son, son's girlfriend, MIL and myself)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• Whidislander
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Barbie - thank you for your words of wisdom about intentional living. Really hit home with me - I have loads of stuff I bought for "someday" or that someone else liked and suggested I get. I've reined that in somewhat but need to do better. Have fun on your "day off". Hope Jake has an uneventful trip and Miss Red gets all fixed up. (I forget - did you name her?) :D

Terri - loved your poem, thoughtful and uplifting. Great way to begin August. <3

Annie - glad the trip to pick up your dad was uneventful. "One day at a time, no need to panic." I seem to need that reminder more often these days. :p Great report from the dentist visit.

Rebecca - I enjoy hearing about your "world of less" and I'm always impressed with your organizational skills. You should teach classes!

Lisa - congrats on reaching your goals. I'm doing the happy dance for you. :p

Ginny - glad the new meds are working.

RVRita - thanks for the Altruistic August calendar. Good reminders. I bet the mama raccoon and her little ones were cute! Cute pix of them and the turtle. Getting varmint proof trash cans is a great idea.

Michele - I'm not a big swimming fan but would love to spend some time in a warm private pool. When the teleporter gets going I might drop in for a little swim. And check out your freezer for some goodies! :p

Kylia - thank you for checking in with us. Lots going on at your end, we always love hearing from you. <3

Margaret - very much appreciated your thoughts on minimalism. :) And good advice on giving and receiving. Beautiful flowers- lilacs? - I can smell them from here and thanks for putting them in my favorite vase. :)

Machka - I enjoyed your rundown about minimizing. I've noticed a lot of new storage buildings going up. I know monthly fees can be high, I always wonder what people are storing.

Barbara - your little garden seat on wheels is nice. If I was shorter and had flat ground to roll on, I could probably use one like that. I like the storage feature a lot!

Debbie - good luck with the possum trap!

Do we have a lot of wise ladies here or what?

Betsy - so sorry to hear the C-bug got ahold of you. Wishing you a rapid recovery. Are you taking anything for it? Had it last September, hope I don't get a repeat.

Had to get firm with the auto repair that has my Subaru. They were supposed to be working on it yesterday for pickup this morning. I called yesterday afternoon, the service tech said the mechanic was doing more testing on that teensy head gasket leak, he thought it might be antifreeze! :s And if so, head gasket, $$$. I was perturbed.

Talked to my brother in Indiana, he said if that's the case, don't spend another dime on the car. Bring it home, baby it, drive it now and then to keep around for eventual trade in. Blue Book is around $3000. I talked to Roger, decided if they hadn't started on the timing belt, he could drive me in and I'd just bring it home.

I called this morning - the leak wasn't antifreeze, it was just a teensy bit of oil !!! and the mechanic would be starting on the timing belt today. So I could get the car tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Why do I have a hunch they let another car jump ahead of mine with the excuse "we have to check out that oil leak further?" I worked with cops too long - suspicious is my middle name, lol.

Anyhow, crossing fingers I'll have my little car back in the garage tomorrow night. All's well that ends well.

Have a wonderful day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Naaah, I am not a teacher.😂. I don't have the patience! I would most likely offend 90% of the class in one way or another!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa