WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Machka had to look up that insect you mentioned....yikes! I think I would freak if I saw that anywhere near me.

Watched the weather forecast last night and they had a huge red area on radar that was predicted to hit our area with potential large hail this morning. Didn't sleep that well last night as was thinking of the barley crop and my abundant garden. It's cooler and overcast this morning and no real signs of a thunderstorm so hoping their predictions are wrong.

May make some buns this morning but waiting a bit to make sure no stormy weather as we tend to have a power outage when that happens. Think I will wait until the afternoon to be sure. Making a large recipe (10 cups of flour) and will freeze them....getting ready for son & family visit. Have a couple of gifts for GD and looking forward to seeing her. We skype every Sunday but will be nice to give her a big hug. Might go for a visit after harvest for just a few days. Not sure yet. Checked online to see if their school calendar is out yet and it isn't. Could plan it when there is a PD day making for an extra long weekend.

Enjoy the day.

Joy
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,354 Member
    Options
    Testing - I tried sending a longer post this morning and it's been stuck in permanent draft mode. Hoping I've been able to clear the blockage, lol.

Lanette
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,354 Member
    Options
    Testing - I tried sending a longer post this morning and it's been stuck in permanent draft mode. Hoping I've been able to clear the blockage, lol.

Lanette

Another test. Attached the longer post, hit reply, it's not showing up.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,467 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :):) Jake's trip to Seattle was successful for him. He arrived early, they fixed the problem with the suspension as soon as he got there and he was finished and ready to come home an hour earlier than his scheduled appointment. He arrived at the ferry dock just in time to be the last car on the ferry and he was home before 10:30. I was delighted that he was home safely and early but disappointed that I didn't have my long day to putter with my projects while listening to my music.

:) A few years ago I scanned, labeled and organized all our photos. About ten years ago I was able to turn many of my slides and father's slides into jpeg files. Unfortunately we got a new computer with a newer operating system and the slide scanner didn't work on the new system. I recently did some research on scanning slides to save on my current computer and learned a lot. I decided not to buy anything right away but I'm looking forward to that new project. Part of intentional living for me is postponing big purchases for awhile so I can think about them and decide if I really need them.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Yes "the Minimalist" guys talk about the waiting. Even a 24 hr delay is good because most of the time that wait is enough to think, "this is quite an impulse item, I don't really need this". 👍💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Lisa--So happy to hear you are feeling better. I would let the boys do the windows. Make them feel like they doing something worthwhile to help.
    Rebecca--Beautiful family pictures. Thank you for sharing.
    Machka--Sounds like they lost the personal touch and just in for the money. I would stop going also. Mine is real good about asking what is going on before he does any treatment and he is good and remembering the next time I come in. I do hope that does not change.
    I know storage units around here have waiting lists as so many want them. Seems to be new ones going up most the time.
    They called this morning and my CT scan is next Tuesday afternoon after work. Just not going to worry about it. My blood sugar this morning and yesterday was up almost 50-60 points. I know it is the steroids so they should go down after the 5 days are up. Can't see they are helping my foot much but my back feels great.
    Birthday party went well. Sorry about the big picture I am still trying to figure it out.
    Rain woke up the dog at just before 330 this morning so was up early. We need the rain, but need to figure out how to help her. Wasn't expecting the rain so surprised us all.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’’s (8/1) gratitude: This thread and all the wise, compassionate, funny gals who share their lives here.

Debbie sticky sap from jasmine hedge?

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. August: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.

Yes, when you cut jasmine, it has a white sticky sap that comes out. Cutting the whole hedge of it and the sap drips all over. Hands, hair, jacket.
    I don't have to cut it back too often, maybe twice a year. Dh used to cut it right as it was about to bloom. Now I tell him I will do it but AFTER it is done blooming.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    On Minimalism ...

My husband and I have both downsized dramatically twice in the early 2000s.
    I got rid of about half my stuff in 2004, put the rest into storage, and then spent the next 3 months living out of panniers while cycling around Australia. Then I returned to Canada, lived in 2 rooms in my parent's basement and got my Bachelor of Education.

In 2009, I got rid of about half my stuff. I got it all down to what would fit in a mid-sized bathroom and had that shipped to Australia.

Meanwhile, my husband got rid of more than half his stuff in 2005 and travelled to Victoria to follow the Harvest Trail by bicycle.

Then in 2009, he set up a very small house in preparation for my arrival ... and lost almost all of it in the 2009 Victorian bushfires.

When I arrived in Australia, we lived in a small shack at the back of the property where he worked for a year, with practically nothing. Electricity came from a generator and later solar panels. Heat came from a fireplace. We cooked food in the fireplace or on a Coleman stove. Water came from the rain. We were 2 kilometres from "the grid". It was a very interesting first year together!

After all that, we decided we wanted stuff. So we've filled a small 1140 sq ft house. :)

I don't have any desire at all to get rid of stuff.

However, I do want to organise the office ... eventually. That is a BIG job.

(I've been hoping for a miserable weekend this winter where we have to stay inside and do inside stuff, but that hasn't happened yet. :) When it's nice out, I want to work in the garden, not inside.)

A couple years ago, I managed to find time to organise the dressing room, bathroom and bedroom. I'm reasonably happy with them, although I could tweak a few things. It would probably take me a day or so.
    The lounge room isn't bad. Once the office is done, it will be better because some of the things out here actually belong in there, but there's no point putting them into the office now.
    And my husband surprised me yesterday by doing some fairly significant tidying in the kitchen, although it still needs ... something. I'm just not sure what it needs. I don't go in there much.

And then there's downstairs, which is basically a garage we use as a basement ... as a workout room. It's less than half the size of the main floor. One day I'll have a look at what all is down there.

As for Time Minimalism ...

Sometimes I wish I didn't have deadlines and things I need to do, attend, follow-up with, etc..

Sometimes I feel it's all too much.

Sometimes I wish I could come home in an evening and do nothing. I enjoyed taking a few days and retreating to a cabin in the middle of nowhere last month where I slept, read, and coloured. I needed a break like that.

But right now, Opportunity has dropped into my lap and since I've got at least 11 years of work left till my "official" retirement date ... and maybe longer, I want to make the most of Opportunity. Something has happened I began to believe would never happen ... and I'm enjoying it. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm planning to make the most of it while it's here. :)

Meanwhile, I am making choices of what can stay and what can go. The chiropractic thing I mentioned a few posts up, for example, can go.

Machka in Oz

Having that first year off the grid, well I am awed by that. I would have been a wailing woman in the corner. I appreciate nature, but I need to be separate from it. When we would go Renaissance historical camping I put MANY layers in the tent. We had an inner flap of the canvas bell tent, and first layer was plastic holding down the flap. Then came a blanket that I sewed together a BUNCH of Gerber cloth diapers together. I had dyed them different colors but a great moisture wicking layer. Then came many blankets of various sizes, the finally the top layers, heavy Korean mink blankets (not real mink, like a heavy fleece blanket. No bugs in my tent! The inside of the tent was large enough to fit 4 sleeping bags. Nightly my husband would light incense in the tent, so no bugs would wanna venture in.
    I will state that you have an admirable work ethic. In everything you do, you plan what needs to be done, and do it.👍. I know those facts can weigh on you, but you have tools set in place to help you thru. You inspire me to be more.💖🤗👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Thank you. :)

I don't mind most insects. I'm a little less fond of arachnids, but it would be hard to have a house in Australia without insects and arachnids ... even in winter. :)

M in Oz

I was a weird child in that I would go out side to play, see a bug, scream and run. See another bug, scream and run. That went on for awhile, then I would just come back inside. Lol! I imaged it was hysterical, and a wee bit sad, for my parents to see. I also checked every corner of the ceiling, of my bedroom (because that's where spiders hang out). I didn't once, and I remembered! Turned the light on and you guessed it. There was a spider on my pillow! Gah!!! So I kind of still do that to this day. Its just a quick look with my eyes, a second of scanning.😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    [

Wa[/quote]

My father is scanning all his old family photos and my mother's old family photos and the photos they took from when they got together until photos became digital.

He's doing that for them ... they play on a monitor as the desktop wallpaper.

But it benefits me because digital copies drift my way from time to time.

Mine are still up to me whenever I get around to it.

But similar to what they do, I use the photos I've taken this month as this month's desktop wallpaper.

I also want to scan documents so I can get rid of as much paper as possible.

M in Oz [/quote]

I started scanning slides and old home movies- they are all from my grandmother. I have gone through all of the slides once. Found some amazing pictures that I have had printed or posted on FB. I need to try doing the movies again- it was harder than expected so gave up quickly. I am hoping there is the one of the fire falls at Yosemite. I remember watching them in real life and the movie she took of them when we were there. Most of the movies are still sealed up-never watched.
    Another thing to add to my list of things to get to.
    I bought the equipment and then lost interest.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Machka--I love my chiropractor. He has done so much for my back. At first I went several times a week and when I have a flair up. But most the time I go once every 4 weeks and it keeps things working and painfree.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

I had a chiropractor not too far from where I worked who I liked, and I'd go there about half a dozen times a year. Then they moved their office further away and I started going there about twice a year.

This new place opened up closer to home along my bus route so I thought it might be more convenient. And they had a really good price for the initial assessment. They also had lots of neat technology and attempted to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere by showing me around, encouraging me to relax when I came in, having tasty tea available, and engaging in conversation. I was also impressed with the way I was treated on time.

Being treated on time meant that when I had a morning appointment, I could still get to work on time, or when I had an after-work appointment, I could catch the next bus along and get home approximately the same time as usual (about 6 pm).

The price went up a short time later ... and I started to feel ... herded. The number of patients increased over the past couple months, and now I'm often waiting past the appointment time for my turn. To try to keep up, we're herded 2 at a time into the treatment room, which has two chiropractic "beds", we're treated very quickly and sent out with no time to talk to the chiropractor about anything that might be bothering us.

When I had my accident in June, I tried to tell him about it, and he just brushed me off. Didn't want to know. That was when I really started to lose interest.

More patients started coming to the practice, my appointments were later and later. And the feeling of being herded grew. Every time I went in, I felt like moo-ing.

When I had morning appointments ... I was late to work. When I had evening appointments, I wasn't getting home till about 7 pm. After 6 pm, the metro reduces the number of buses on the routes and I was often left standing in the cold and dark for half an hour or more. Another time, I walked almost all the way home in the cold and dark because the buses were down to about once an hour.

They also kept trying to sell me more and more. Orthotics, pillows, and all sorts.

Tomorrow is my last appointment.

mq17142gjjli.png

I think I'll go back to my former chiro once in a while. The place isn't really that far away and I can go at lunch.

But during the time with this one my headaches have eased and I got a hard foam curvy wedge thing to stretch out my neck which I like.

They also had balance cushions in the waiting room which I liked ... so I bought one from Kmart for $10. Really good for stretching out my right hip.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/balance-cushion-42837152/?
    eifix0wmxfmw.png

Machka in Oz

Your herding chiropractor place sounds awful! And dismissing you like that.😥. I went to one after I had broken my toe, and hobbling around, my back and neck got to hurting. He cracked my back or neck, I don't remember, but it made this noise and I just burst out crying! I was put in a back brace but wow it was an emotional experience! Hope you can go to your old chiropractor, and it works out for you.🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Sorry if it is Lupus, Allie. I have known a couple of people with it, and yes, it is something they live with. <3

Decided I'd had enough Norway traditional landscape painting and went back to my semi-abstract. :p
    This is Edie. I'm quite pleased with it. :)
    kbfhaaiiwzc9.jpg

Much love Heather. Now off to my bloods. :/
    Xxxxxx

Beautiful!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my cream of rice cereal.

Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Emotionally and physically feeling better otherwise.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 1/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks /2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 159/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)65/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 28/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, (100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY.
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with.
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply.
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today.
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about.
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why.
    10. Chick in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Michele, ordered my window cleaning device from amazon canada. It is called ITTAHO double sided window cleaner. It's a squeegee on one side and a scrubber on the other and is attached to a long 53 inch pole. I just used it on a couple of my windows. Just dipped it into my rain barrel with the scrubber and then used the squeegee. Funny thing is, no streaks! Not sure why. Maybe because of the rain water. Usually use Windex on my windows and end up with some streaking but I'm o.k. with that....at least they are clean. Will see how it works later in the fall with my Windex.

Sorry, can't post a link to the device but I'm sure you will be able to find it with a little googling.

Made my bun dough and have it rising. Still overcast here but no rain. Seems a bit smokey. DH decided to go out and work on the summerfallow so have a quiet day. Was going to fry a bit of the bun dough for his lunch so that chore is off the table as he had a sandwich instead. He likes the fried dough with some honey. I stay away from it (too much like a doughnut). Not sure how he manages to stay slim.

Will be picking some green beans this afternoon as I noticed a couple of days ago that a few of my bean plants are ready to pick. Not my favorite veggie but I like to add them to soup. The only way I like them as a veggie is steamed a bit then fried with chopped up bacon and onion which I know is not good for my calorie counting at the moment. May give in....will see how the day progresses.

Joy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,495 Member
    Options
    Today’s (8/2) gratitude: that my legs actually feel better after yesterday’s exertions. Yesterday morning I was tottery with stiff and achy legs even after PT, so I took an ibuprofen before walking with D. Expected to be sore after 12K (!) steps yesterday but nope, my legs feel great!
    Invested a cup of tea’s worth of time with Joe this morning and was rewarded with him talking to me then and later. Expected scale to be up the half pound I’d drunk, but nope, was down 1.3 lbs from yesterday. Go figure. That’s why using monthly average is better for me.
    Heather brava for doing your PT, though it’s a little hard for me to think of doing any kind of push-ups as a reward… :naughty: Your energy fair leaps from that portrait of Edie.
    Lisa I’m a little jealous you can burn brush in August. Our pile of papers with sensitive info will have to wait for the October/November deluge.
    Machka admire your stoic attitude about creepy crawlies. Not me. [shudder] Ycch.
    Kylia how long will your mountain cabin vacation be?
    Annie two looms? You weave? Would love to hear more.
    Margaret I remember sucking the sweet from honeysuckle, never new I could’ve from phlox ;)
    Allie fingers X’d for Monday’s rheumatologist appointment.
    Carol loved seeing you with your family and your GD’s expression ;) How long was your Dad in a wheelchair?
    Joy fingers Xd for the hail bypassing your barley. Had to google “PD day” ;)
    Vicki :love: :love: :love: the pic of Addison and you all. Her pleasure at her special day shines right out from her smile. Well done. Do injured feet/ankles run in your family? ;)
    Evelyn when we downsized from 3600 to 1400 square feet, we rented a storage unit as Joe refused to sacrifice garage space to stuff (understantable in Boise weather). He worked really hard (on me) and we were able to empty it completely within 3 months. Not easy for she-who-cannot-release-anything-back-to-the-universe :laugh:
    Debbie what is it with husbands who want to cut off shrubs just before they bloom? SMH.
    Rebecca “Gah” indeed. Only thing worse is to find ‘em in the shower. [shudder]
    Rita Joe used to resist me folding his Tshirts, he likes to wad up his clothes and stuff them in the drawers. Fortunately after learning how to fold and store the tshirts so he can see the various colors and select the one he wants, he no longer complains ;)
    Whoops! No time to start the intended manybean salad. Time to prep for line dancing class.
    Gratitude highlights from late last month.
    7/31 no wood chips found in Joe’s eye. McDonald’s closed when he drove by at 4:50 so instead of sausage McMuffin, deep fried hashbrown patty and coke, we had Morningstar veggie patty, sautéed hash browns, a tiny pancake, Sweet and spicy tea. About half the calories and even less fat. 7/30 ? 7/29 new hummingbird at the feeder. 7/28 Joe’s example of helping the travelers with a can of fix-a-flat. 7/27 the racheting, screw driver with different tips Joe gave me years ago. 7/26 able to get down onto the floor (and back up ;> ) to do PT. 7/25 Gorgeous day, views from Chetco Point with D and pelicans! 7/24:Joe offering to pick me up from the DDS. He’s exhibiting thoughtfulness that would have been unimaginable 20 years ago. 7/23 relief/Joe&neighbor’s dogs interactions. 7/22 Joe offering to make a pot of coffee for our challenging neighbor’s visit without me asking. 7/21 ?
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. August: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.