WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    lisa032722 wrote: »
    Sweet Dreams, all. I have just enough time to say hello before I turn into a pumpkin. My name is Lisa D and I am 49.5 years old. 50 is my year, but I didn’t want to wait. ❤️

Welcome here! As above, conversation moves quickly so just jump in whenever you like. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Thursday,
    Welcome to the new ladies!

My mountain vacation in TN is now 2 weeks long! Not until September but the countdown has started 🤪
    Kylia in Ohio

Nice!

• Machka9
    Options
    Thursday ... last day of work this week.

I accomplished what I set out to do at work this week plus a little bit more. :)

Had my annual Gynaecologic-Oncologist appointment today to check my female organs cancer situation. Everything looks normal! Yay! I've had 2 surgeries + treatment (2015 and 2017) for that, and thankfully I've been normal since 2017. He says if I'm normal next year, I won't need to continue with the annual checks.

I also found out what the "other things" in my knee are about. I've got chondromalacia in the patellofemoral compartment (kneecap area) and in the lateral compartment (outside of the knee). Chondromalacia happens when cartilage inside a joint softens and breaks down.

This does not surprise me. My knees have been well used and have experienced a lot of trauma from time to time. The MRI was only on my right knee, but I say "knees" because it would not surprise me if I had this in both knees. When doing things like cycling and running, I tend to use both legs.

Machka in Oz (for the newcomers ... that's Australia!)

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,494 Member
    Options
    Machka- we all know it..But to face it is a whole other ballgame
    Tracy got pregnant at 18,with Carmine.
    My friend Trudy had a baby at 15 my aunt let me know when I was in Tennessee that she had a baby at 15 and put it up for adoption.
    So... I know all to well what can happen.. I think Tracy is just sticking her head in the sand..but I told her don't you think you guys are a bit young to be grandparents?

The thought of our sweet Miles as an uncle at his age....... Its mind numbing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Tracey, wonderful news about Kaitlyn and the baby. Good luck with your orientation this afternoon.

We didn't get any hail but two thunderstorms rolled through last night and got about another inch of rain. We really don't need anymore rain.

Made a batch of buns yesterday and have another one set up and rising this morning. Working on laundry too today so busy morning. Feels very humid here so may turn on a/c this afternoon as I'm sure I will be heating up the house with the oven on for my buns.

Enjoy the day.

Joy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    DH's daughter's book is out today. It's called 'Dance Deception', by Becky Ward. It arrived today by pre-order. She doesn't want her dad to read it as it's got a lot of sex in it! :o:p He will, though.
    Tonight she is having a drink or two with friends in London to celebrate the launch. We aren't going, but I sent my best wishes. We are a bit too old for evening drinking in London. >:)
    I'm sure it's out on Kindle, so if you want a thrill, you can buy it.... I haven't looked at it yet.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Just finished the section on organizing paperwork in Organized Well Enough. My system is similar to many of her suggestions. It is just a case of spending a few minutes a day to maintain. She did talk about what to keep like tax returns and money spent on home improvements. Having a filing cabinet and system to file to find papers does help. Many things can be found online now so many articles and recipes do not need to be kept. How you decide to organize papers can be a template for how to organize your digital info. I do find I do like the search feature on my e-mails so I usually can find things quickly. I do need to unsubscribe from a number of sites to keep from having to do so many deletions.

I did like her suggestion of not having so many shoes by the front door. It made me clean out the bottom of the hall closet. It made me realize many things did not belong there and took up valuable space like a leaf to our dining room table. Some old vinyl records of DH.

The take away for me as I look at spaces in our home is how can I make the space more functional for how we live now. Like Barbie said remove the nonessential. I am really starting to enjoy the process. I went through a bathroom cabinet and realized I have not used those loofa sponges I bought 5 years ago. I bought them because they reminded me of my dad. He grew loofa. I use an Epson salt scrub. Out they went to the give away pile. Loofa was his thing not mine.

To me a red flag is if it takes more than 5-10 minutes to find something you need or you go out and buy a new one because you do not find said something you need then it is time to look at how you and if not living alone your loved ones use your space. What you use everyday needs to get the prime spaces. I do agree with her taking those extra minutes to put something back in its spot so it is ready for the next time is part of the process. If you share a space that is where labeling a space can be very helpful. Yes it takes time to set up the system but from what she observed in the long run the house is happier because things run more smoothly.

Beth I feel for you on your project. Glad you are getting more help to finish it. Sometimes you just need to hire someone. DH and I try to do what we can. We do know our limits and have hired a number of people over the years to do jobs and sometimes routine maintenance like gutter cleaning.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,494 Member
    Options
    Machka - I meant the technology of how to see them. I have two hard drives with pictures on them that I need someone to be able to get off. I have thumb drives some are outdated and I don’t know how to retrieve those either. I also have cd’s. I want to go through them all and actually print some. I also find that it’s harder to find a picture when we want one. For instance when Rodger’s dad passed we couldn’t find some pictures of him because we did know which SIM card/cd it was on. I find it more difficult.

Heather - it will be a busy weekend for you, but I bet it will be fun.

Ginny - there is probably some rule in their tickets that when it says cancel it’s bumped to priority.

Lisa - Thank you. I try. For the window washer, I filled a bucket with hot water and vinegar. I did my 8 windows in about 1/2 an hour, I’m sure your son would be up for it.

Allie - Wise words from Lisa’s Corey about teens.
    I put my parent through He🏒🏒. I know I did. I probably caused many a sleepless night. I truly believe though that if they had tried to control me more than they did we wouldn’t have had the long long relationship we had/have. My Dad was one of my best friends when he let me make decisions on my own. It must have taken a lot for him to allow me to quit school at 16, have a boyfriend stay over, me stay at a boyfriend’s house, he knew I had a drink here and there. (I wasn’t and still don’t drink much). I never tried pot until I was almost 30. He never punished me, he helped me be safe. He would come pick me and my friends up, no lectures or groundings afterwards, he bought my birth control pills and he held me when my first serious relationship ended.
    I learned from him that I had to be supportive of my girls, even when they made terrible decisions. My goal was to raise them to be beautiful, functional members of society and I wanted to have a lifelong relationship with them. There were times I cried myself to sleep worrying about school, was one of them being careful and using protection when she was with her boyfriend, was the other one partying too much. I was able to have open and honest conversations with them because my Dad had taught me how. Now I consider my girls among my best friends.
    I hope Tracy and Kyle ease up a bit and don’t end up alienating Carmine altogether. It would be a shame, because they sure do love her or they wouldn’t be fighting this hard to save her.

Kylia - I sure hope that you have a wonderful vacation. September will be here before we know it. I would love to go to Dollywood.

Annie - I hope your day gets better. Poor Teddy.

Barbara - they have had counselling off and on for years, both individually and as a couple. He is narcissistic, the last therapist she had told her he will never change and she had to decide what to live with. She knows she should leave, but at this point is concerned about her financial status. She did go see a lawyer a month or two ago to see what she could expect. She did not work much because they moved around for his career. She also is on medical disability so can’t work now.

My grandson will be 12 in September, he and I share a birthday. I thought it was cool the night he was born, it just brings to light how I’m aging now. 😂
    He has attended this camp since birth with his parents. A couple of years ago he had a near drowning incident and won’t go near the water now. That limits the activities available. His friends that he usually hang with aren’t there this week and there aren’t any that are his age that really click. There are older boys and younger boys. His parents just didn’t want to see him miserable so asked if we would go get him. I am going to see if a friend of his can get together on Saturday to hang out.

Kim - so glad that Levi’s ear wasn’t damaged and he is doing better.
    Hope you get a nice nap in.

Rebecca - I am on Wellbutrin and have a drink occasionally with no side effects. Maybe you would be ok after you’ve been on them for a while. Either way, I’m sure it was the mix.

It’s a cloudy day today, I have my first team meeting at 1 for my course. It’s orientation. I think after that I am going to go get my hair cut. It has been bugging me for a bit now.

Tracey in Edmonton

That's encouraging! There's not any I like that's NA, well none I have tried and liked. I don't drink stout beer, but light even sparkling IPA beers or Stellas.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 299 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Beth DH and I try to do what we can. We do know our limits and have hired a number of people over the years to do jobs and sometimes routine maintenance like gutter cleaning. [/quote]

I would absolutely love to hire someone to clean the gutters but living in a small rural area, it is just not possible.

Joy