Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to Big Lots to see if they have any pool noodles (they don’t) but got some Tazo tea for 34 cents. Then to WalMart then bought gas. Came home and made dog biscuits to take to Jess this weekend, a spaghette chicken
    pg 7Did a body pump DVD then took my walk, then Aldi, home to put away the groceries, then went to the sleep MD, made a donation at the Salvation Army and, of course, had to go in. Stopped at Dollar General. They had these pool noodles – $5. Unbelievable! Took batting to a lady. Then cut the grass. Too tired to take another walk. Jess called and we will probably go up there this weekend. I know she really wants us to.

Looks like we will have the music bingo here. The plan is that they are going to charge $3 per card and a $1 for add’l cards. We shall see how it goes. Personally, I’m not real crazy about charging, but at least it isn’t $5. The plan is to have people just bring desserts at 6 and then start playing at 6:30. I’m afraid that we’re going to have a lot of desserts left.

Worked then went to Big Lots to see if they had any pool noodles (they didn’t) but did get a couple of boxes of Tazo tea for 34 cents each. Then to WalMart then bought gas. Home to make dog biscuits for Jess when we see her this weekend, also made her a Spaghetti Chicken casserole, now making brownies for Vince and Jess’ friend who will be here before going on to the condo then on a cruise.

Just looked out the window and it’s still raining. Looks like any walk is history. Maybe I’ll do a walking DVD

Savi – welcome. From India...cool. You’ll have so much to add to this group, I certainly hope you keep coming back

Welcome Lisa D

Heather – you’re one wonderful hostesses I know how it is planning and all. I like to have everything planned out, what we’ll have for lunch, dinner, etc. It’s annoying sometimes that Jess and Vince wait until the absolute last minute.

Jerry didn’t come in to work today. Not sure if he wasn’t scheduled or if he was and just didn’t bother showing up. But whatever…..

kylia – your mountain vacation sounds heavenly. What kind of work do you have? Business work? If so...bummer

Barbara – we can just call “Lisa in AR” and “Lisa D”. That’s one way we can keep them straight. Nothing from the sleep doc. He just said “everything looks good, we’ll see you in a year” So that’s that.

Kim – good news about Levi. Now you rest up!

Allie – Miles will have a playmate….

Tracey – good news about Kaitlyn

Barbie – good news at the eye MD. Vince couldn’t get over the improvement after his cataract surgery. I really don’t like to have Vince doing the shopping...especially if he’s hungry

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    Just finished the section on organizing paperwork in Organized Well Enough. My system is similar to many of her suggestions. It is just a case of spending a few minutes a day to maintain. She did talk about what to keep like tax returns and money spent on home improvements. Having a filing cabinet and system to file to find papers does help. Many things can be found online now so many articles and recipes do not need to be kept. How you decide to organize papers can be a template for how to organize your digital info. I do find I do like the search feature on my e-mails so I usually can find things quickly. I do need to unsubscribe from a number of sites to keep from having to do so many deletions.

I did like her suggestion of not having so many shoes by the front door. It made me clean out the bottom of the hall closet. It made me realize many things did not belong there and took up valuable space like a leaf to our dining room table. Some old vinyl records of DH.

The take away for me as I look at spaces in our home is how can I make the space more functional for how we live now. Like Barbie said remove the nonessential. I am really starting to enjoy the process. I went through a bathroom cabinet and realized I have not used those loofa sponges I bought 5 years ago. I bought them because they reminded me of my dad. He grew loofa. I use an Epson salt scrub. Out they went to the give away pile. Loofa was his thing not mine.

To me a red flag is if it takes more than 5-10 minutes to find something you need or you go out and buy a new one because you do not find said something you need then it is time to look at how you and if not living alone your loved ones use your space. What you use everyday needs to get the prime spaces. I do agree with her taking those extra minutes to put something back in its spot so it is ready for the next time is part of the process. If you share a space that is where labeling a space can be very helpful. Yes it takes time to set up the system but from what she observed in the long run the house is happier because things run more smoothly.

Beth I feel for you on your project. Glad you are getting more help to finish it. Sometimes you just need to hire someone. DH and I try to do what we can. We do know our limits and have hired a number of people over the years to do jobs and sometimes routine maintenance like gutter cleaning.

A lot of sound advice when it comes to organizing. I too get a thrill when I need something, and its right there where it lives. I also have minimized my prep routine for both morning and night. I have a pile of wash cloths by our bathroom sink and use them. I have a bar of Kirk's coconut soap and use on my face and body bits nightly. Should I put on a nightly moisturizer, maybe. I do use coconut oil from my.nose to my toes. So I put it on, then lay on a fluffy towel on the bed, like the Queen of Sheba. I have to let it soak in!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would share this extract from an email I got from James Clear (Tiny Habits author)

"Goals are for people who care about winning once.

Systems are for people who care about winning repeatedly."

I believe my morning and evening routines are systems. 😝

☘️ Terri

:) I read this today and thought of you, Terri, and several others on this thread.

:) For anyone who hasn't read it yet, I highly recommend "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. It made a huge difference in my life.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Amazon Amazfit will link with MFP??

I have had my Fitbit but my second one has not died too.
    Thinking of going with another tracker but want one that will like with MFP and that is simple to use.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Machka - I meant the technology of how to see them. I have two hard drives with pictures on them that I need someone to be able to get off. I have thumb drives some are outdated and I don’t know how to retrieve those either. I also have cd’s. I want to go through them all and actually print some. I also find that it’s harder to find a picture when we want one. For instance when Rodger’s dad passed we couldn’t find some pictures of him because we did know which SIM card/cd it was on. I find it more difficult.

My grandson will be 12 in September, he and I share a birthday.

It’s a cloudy day today, I have my first team meeting at 1 for my course. It’s orientation. I think after that I am going to go get my hair cut. It has been bugging me for a bit now.

Tracey in Edmonton

Encourage your grandson to get into computer technology! It's a good profession and he might be the one who can retrieve the photos. :)

I keep copying mine over to larger, newer external harddrives every year or two. And mine are organised by date, mostly. Each month I start a new folder for photos within my overall photo folder. The older ones tend to be of general subject matter rather than date. One of my "one day" projects is to go through them and add descriptions to the properties ... and to organise those photos a bit better.

There is software that should be able to get those photos for you.

All the best on your course ... I'm excited for you!!

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Thursday ... last day of work this week.
    Had my annual Gynaecologic-Oncologist appointment today to check my female organs cancer situation. Everything looks normal! Yay! I've had 2 surgeries + treatment (2015 and 2017) for that, and thankfully I've been normal since 2017. He says if I'm normal next year, I won't need to continue with the annual checks.

I also found out what the "other things" in my knee are about. I've got chondromalacia in the patellofemoral compartment (kneecap area) and in the lateral compartment (outside of the knee). Chondromalacia happens when cartilage inside a joint softens and breaks down.

This does not surprise me. My knees have been well used and have experienced a lot of trauma from time to time. The MRI was only on my right knee, but I say "knees" because it would not surprise me if I had this in both knees. When doing things like cycling and running, I tend to use both legs.

Machka in Oz (for the newcomers ... that's Australia!)

So pleased the news was good from the gyno/onco! That's a lovely relief, I'm sure.

The chondromalacia sounds manageable at a quick glance, and seldom progresses to demanding surgery, according to Dr. Google, anyway. Honestly, I've had bits of cartilage removed more than once from my knees, and the minor surgeries did little or nothing to improve the issues. Ice, elevation when resting, and strapping them with flex-tape has done better than most things. I doubt any of this is a surprise to you at all...

And this has to be one of the more sarcastic things I've ever seen you post... :smiley: "When doing things like cycling and running, I tend to use both legs." So funny.

Cheers,
    Lisa in AR

At this point I think the chondromalacia is chronic. My knees always feel a little uncomfortable but not in a significant amount of pain.

They mention muscle imbalance as one of the many causes and cycling contributes to that muscle imbalance. Quadriceps are called that because they are made up of 4 muscles. Cycling works 3 of the 4 muscles. Doing things like slow leg extensions on a leg weight machine (but not fully extending the leg, not locking the knee) helps build up that 4th muscle. I probably need to do that more regularly than I've done in the past 5 or 6 years.

I have gotten in the habit of saying things like that in my head but not out loud. :smiley: Maybe I should let them out more often.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options

It's been a good day! First non-scale victory... Hit 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time this year. :smiley:

Second non-scale victory... I broke down and bought my first pair of jeans in four years. I was wearing a size 16 or 18, according to the brand, when I weighed between 190 and 210, in 2019. I weigh 147 today, and I was able to fit comfortably into size 12 jeans. In years past, I would have gone back and got a size 10, and I'm pretty sure they'd fit, but be tight. I have been in yoga pants, basically, for four years, and "tight" is no longer what I want my clothes to be in any way, shape or form! :# Pretty happy with a 12, but still not ready to wear them in public, or anywhere else. They'll wait for me. :smiley:

Also fought Verizon to a standstill and was able to get my phone upgraded free. My current oned is beginning to drain the battery more and more, but it's also more than four years old (I think). Long story, but I kept fighting all the way up to a third sales-creature, first at the store, then a chat conversation that dropped midway, then the third. Lo and behold, I only had to pay sales tax and an upgrade fee, about $85. 👀 I argued my way into a $550 discount for a $549 phone. That was three hours of my afternoon. :smiley: Figure that was worth a little effort.

OK, onward, upward, and off to la-la land for me...
    More comments in the morning,
    Lisa in AR

Well done on all counts!!

• Machka9
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Interesting ... I'm not sure if you'll be able to access this if you're in North America or the UK, but it is an interesting research presentation if you can. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keRrzey-avs&amp;ab_channel=AlumniExplore
    Carbs and fats: How does food impact our health?

5 Jul 2023
    Presented by Dr Rebecca Kelly, BMedSc Hons 2014, MBBS 2016, MPH 2019, Public Health Lecturer, Geriatric Medicine registrar.

Dr Kelly discusses the science behind existing dietary guidelines for dietary fats and carbohydrates.

She offers insights into the research she conducted at University of Oxford, which looks at how different sources of dietary fat and carbohydrates can affect cardiovascular health and how dietary research is represented in the media.

Machka in Oz