WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I am always amazed at sizing for women’s clothes. The tshirts I bought to make for the girls and I for our sleepover a few weeks ago were mostly XL and 2XL. My son in law overheard the conversation one of the girls and I were having and went a little crazy about the sizing. He made us feel very good about our sizes and angry at the manufacturer. He actually took one of his men’s t shirts. his size medium was our size 2XL. It makes no sense. Funnily enough one of the girls is a paramedic that has worked with him and in an emergency one time she was able to wear his uniform shirt. She was one that needed the 2XL in these shirts.
    I swear they do it to make us feel worse about ourselves so I have quit worrying about size and just go by feel.

These are two different clothing size comparison charts.

vw1yt2vb6hw5.png
    https://www.kimdoherty.com.au/womens-t-shirts-size-chart/

58xnqrkpqto3.png
    https://www.liveabout.com/clothing-size-conversion-charts-4123441#:~:text=Women's Clothing Sizes

When I moved to Australia, I was about a 14-ish in Canada, I immediately shot up to 16-18 in Australia! Recently, when I hit my highest weight, I was a 20 Australian ... but that's 16-18 in the US. Now I'm down to an 18 Australian ... mostly.

Just to add to the confusion, we get a lot of Asian clothing here with our high Asian population, and even though they will attempt to put an Australian size on the clothing, I find I'll often take a 22 in those clothing items, whereas I'll walk next door to an Australian store and I'm an 18.

I think my Grandson will go into the computer field in some manner. I don’t know what he’ll be. He has always even as a toddler created these games and characters that he could direct and manipulate. I’ve always said he is going to be a director or video game creator. It’s exciting to see how he has grown and some traits have just stayed the same and gotten more defined. He actually runs a D&D game now where he is the dragon master. This doesn’t mean a lot to me, but everyone is impressed that knows the game that he does it at such a young age.

Now that I’ve written a novel, I should go do something.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Yes, that is impressive! I was a dungeon master at about 16 ... but I think the game was quite different then.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,120 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Debbie-
    I need some help with Mangos.... I know you buy them, I like them but NEVER buy them, I am not sure how to know if they are ripe and am always disappointed. But Grocery Outlet had them for $1 so I got 2. they are green with a bit of red, large and almost rock hard.... now what???????

Kim in N. california

I LOVE mangoes. :)

I buy them when they're a little bit soft and usually wait till they are quite soft to eat/drink them. So good!

Green with a bit of red sounds kind of like our Calypso mangoes. They're my favourite. :)

dokofgf9ce6p.png

My daughter-in-law taught me how to scoop them out with a glass.

In Canada, mangoes were rock hard and slightly sour, and never seemed to soften. :(

This is about Australian mangoes and how to tell when they're ripe:
    https://mangoes.net.au/about-australian-mangoes/australian-mango-varieties/

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Awake early, of course.
    I came downstairs to talk to you, and heard Max go to the toilet. He came into the living room to ask me what the time was. I told him and he said, 'Oh good, I can read now!' I gave him a book last night about how our world developed from its beginning. Great maps, showing how the continents have moved.
    I hope I can catch some downtime today. I've got so used to my afternoon nap!
    I think it's Pizzaface collection tonight. Will be expensive, but, hey. The kids enjoy it. Edie will 'help' me make a salad dressing for a green salad.

So now, to make DH a cup of tea before the girls come down. They have strict instructions not to emerge before 7 am.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Debbie-sounds like a good deal on your FitBit. I used one for years. I switched to AppleWatch because of fall notification feature-I also like the way it syncs with phone. That said-I spend way more on tech than I need-but it's my splurge. I would feel lost without some device on my wrist!
    Vicki-hope you have recovered.
    Tracey-it just struck me that you using the desk built by your great-grandfather is like having the generations of family there supporting you as you move forward. How neat that it!
    Rita-I enjoy hearing tales from Roswell. I also admire the way you are coping with your family situations-it provides guidance for all,
    Heather-it is good L has her future plans! Good luck to family on this last stretch before resettling.
    Sue-it is strange the different medicines they give for colonoscopies-who comes up with this stuff?! Glad all went well.
    Margaret-I am also trying to reuse stuff already in house for storage. I used to spend time trying to find the right "thing" and ended up with more stuff. I find I can repurpose more things than I thought.
    Lisa-yes, the more I move the more I want to move!
    Pip-tpugh for kids when parents are split. Glad she was able to tell mom she prefers to walk alone (she is a teenager!). She is probably happy mom offered (even if she won't admit it). I think it is good for kids to have someone to relate to other than just parents-as long as it's positive.
    Clothing sizes-I have given up on figuring that out. I really prefer when I can buy jeans based on inches size (like Levis and other men's brands have). I have t shirts that I wear small in, others I wear large-the same day!

Need to get ready for day. Was hoping I would sleep later but up at 4. Caught up here. Tidying some stuff up so house in decent shape when I finally get home late this pm. I am still going for morning walk even though I will be running around all day. Packing a personal cooler so I have some iced tea (decaf) and my bodyarmour late-must stay hydrated. We will also have plain water available. Will be good to see the kids running around enjoying themselves. Will not doubt dance with some of the staff today-chicken dance and such. We have fun together.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We’re having a rainy morning today. It feels good.

Katla in Illinois
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Katla - we are getting a little rain here right now too. We won't get a lot, I hope it at least settles the dust.

Heather - we'll take that rain!

Ginny - sounds like you have a fun day ahead. Have a great time.

Margaret - I love reading about your organizing and this morning purchased "Organized Enough" from Amazon, a used copy.

Rosie goes to the groomer this Tuesday, and I'm rounding up items to drop into their "free" box. DH had a lot of down vests and fall jackets, some of them will go along with dressier work pants I'll never wear again. I'm also going through the pantry, thinning out canned goods and unexpired cake mixes I'll never use. The price of groceries keeps going up and there will be families who can use it.

Barbie - much appreciate your post this morning about jeans and intentional living. I never get tired of reading about this topic.

About jeans - I just went through my stack of jeans. My favorite and best fitting ones came from Christopher and Banks and Dress Barn - both companies are out of business I think or at least no longer have local stores where I can go in and try on clothing. Those stores catered to people like me - sold quality items at a good price, many larger and tall sizes.

I'm happy to report I can fit into some of those jeans again. At least I can get them over my hips and zipped & buttoned. Wear comfortably? Not quite, but there's been some good slow progress and I'm fine with that. A couple months ago I couldn't get them over my hips. Slow and steady wins the race.

Carnivore/low carb - My younger brother, who is 70, decided he needed to lose a few pounds and has gone from 224 to 216 on the carnivore diet. Eats only meat. He's been at it a couple weeks - he's around 6'2" and his goal was to reduce that belly fat.

I'm wondering if going super low carb for up to a week at a time would be a means of losing recently gained belly fat type weight. I'm not sure how long Bob is planning to do the carnivore thing, what his goal is, etc., but I messaged him and hope he has time for further discussion.

What's for supper? - since I only cook for me now, I am in a rut supper-wise. Those of you who are only cooking for yourselves - what does your supper look like? Lots of salads? Left overs? (I'm running low on those and haven't been inspired to make anything with the hot heat-the-kitchen-up type weather.)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I found I had a lot of traditions about supper that were not helpful. These days I eat eggs and yogurt in the morning, oatmeal with protein powder and blueberries for lunch at eleven, then a smoothie and a small portion of boiled chicken around two. Whether that counts as supper or not I don't know. But it's nothing like the social meat and potatoes supper at five that I had growing up. I find that eating the chicken especially, gets a little dreary, but there's such a small portion that it doesn't much matter. I'm not looking for entertainment or excitement in my food anymore, unless I go out.

So that routine works for me until we have guests or some interruption, then it takes a few days to get back to it. Hope you find something that works for you.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    :)Lanette, My situation is different from yours for a variety of reasons, but if I lived alone I would eat exactly the same thing every day, I have an Isagenix shake for breakfast, an Isagenix bar for a snack, one of ten lunch choices that fit Jake's low salt, low potassium plan , yogurt at bedtime. My supper is a turkey burger ( I make five burgers with a pound of meat and freeze them) and 8-10 ounces of frozen mixed veggies. For snacks I have quarter of an apple of a string cheese.

:) Book recommendation for getting your stuff organized "Outer Order Inner Calm" by Gretchen Rubin.

:) Today we were talking about what a great investment we made in buying a furnace and heat pump. It's almost never too hot in our house to cook or to sleep.

:) Rain may be coming but I'll be able to work in the yard this morning.

:)Annie, I agree with you that it's a good thing to not be thinking about food as entertainment

<3 Barbie in NW WA.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate having a friend over to watch movies with us.

Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 3/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 162/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)66/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 29/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today.
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about.
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why.
    10. Chick in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    Options
    ennicnzvktap.jpg
    💖👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Today’s (8/5) gratitude: The old van not running right and leaking oil, so Joe has something to work on ;)
    Yesterday’s (8/4) gratitude: waking up to blue skies.
    08/04: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dancing. Steps:8797
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=28 CI=1325 CO=825
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ordered checks, post office, library, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s. Wt: 132.1
    Just a quick accountability post, choosing to do PT. Will catch up 3+ pages later.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. August: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Katla - we are getting a little rain here right now too. We won't get a lot, I hope it at least settles the dust.

Heather - we'll take that rain!

Ginny - sounds like you have a fun day ahead. Have a great time.

Margaret - I love reading about your organizing and this morning purchased "Organized Enough" from Amazon, a used copy.

Rosie goes to the groomer this Tuesday, and I'm rounding up items to drop into their "free" box. DH had a lot of down vests and fall jackets, some of them will go along with dressier work pants I'll never wear again. I'm also going through the pantry, thinning out canned goods and unexpired cake mixes I'll never use. The price of groceries keeps going up and there will be families who can use it.

Barbie - much appreciate your post this morning about jeans and intentional living. I never get tired of reading about this topic.

About jeans - I just went through my stack of jeans. My favorite and best fitting ones came from Christopher and Banks and Dress Barn - both companies are out of business I think or at least no longer have local stores where I can go in and try on clothing. Those stores catered to people like me - sold quality items at a good price, many larger and tall sizes.

I'm happy to report I can fit into some of those jeans again. At least I can get them over my hips and zipped & buttoned. Wear comfortably? Not quite, but there's been some good slow progress and I'm fine with that. A couple months ago I couldn't get them over my hips. Slow and steady wins the race.

Carnivore/low carb - My younger brother, who is 70, decided he needed to lose a few pounds and has gone from 224 to 216 on the carnivore diet. Eats only meat. He's been at it a couple weeks - he's around 6'2" and his goal was to reduce that belly fat.

I'm wondering if going super low carb for up to a week at a time would be a means of losing recently gained belly fat type weight. I'm not sure how long Bob is planning to do the carnivore thing, what his goal is, etc., but I messaged him and hope he has time for further discussion.

What's for supper? - since I only cook for me now, I am in a rut supper-wise. Those of you who are only cooking for yourselves - what does your supper look like? Lots of salads? Left overs? (I'm running low on those and haven't been inspired to make anything with the hot heat-the-kitchen-up type weather.)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Lanette, There is a book I read called “Wheat Belly” by Dr.William Davis, MD. explains why eating things with wheat in it (carbs) makes us get large bellies. Having read that and done it, I can say it will help going super low carb for up to a week, but then not adding back everything you stopped would really help. If you can eat eggs, lots of eggs, cheese, yogurt, berries, macadamia nuts, or any tree nut (not peanuts) work. For example, I will have cheese and pepperoni for dinner (no crackers unless keto crackers), we eat our large meal early afternoon. Or I will have a couple ‘turkey sticks” look like small pepperoni but made with turkey and not so spicy. Olives are good too. A dish with different cold meats and cheeses, and pickled items is also really good.

RVRita in Roswell, NM