WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,498 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Debbie - I depend on my Fitbit Inspire 3, much more than I ever thought I would. I had the Charge 3 for a long time, until it's battery went dead. I think I've had the Inspire for six months or more. I like it because I can see the time at night, even without my glasses on. I use the timers to make my tea, and the exercise, sleep and step trackers are in daily use, of course. I track my weight there on the Fitbit site, which I like, but their food diaries don't hold a candle to MFP. I like them, they suit me well, and you can get some really kicky leather bands for most of the Fitbits on Amazon for not much. Not fond of their original bands, they never seem to fit or be comfortable for me.

Ginny - Fighting with the phone company seems to be the order of the day, now, but like your SIL, Verizon is the only reliable signal throughout a lot of this part of Arkansas. The rest have major dead spots.

Rita - We're glad you're here too, and I look for your lists often.

Tracey, glad you've got some time with Jonah, he looks quite happy with the new bike. Love the Dresden plate patterned quilt - truly beautiful.

Debbie - That quilt is lovely! He's got a real eye for color and geometric balance.

Vicki - I know the steroids are yanking a lot of things around for me, as well, but hard to tell. That sugar level is scary. Glad you were able to get an assist quickly. Take care of yourself this weekend...

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    Tracey- love the quilt!!! Amazing that you will get to work on the old desk- think of all the things that were written over the years on it.

Vicki- glad you are feeling better-sounds so scary
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Had a quick chat with L before the family arrived. She has been very depressed, but has lots of trips planned for the future, so I'm not too worried. The main problem at the moment is the dizziness.

Family arrived on time, but my son had to dash off to collect Max from sailing. He has passed his grade 4 sailing this week. :D Dinner was delayed and the kids were knackered after daily holiday camps, but, they are nearly completely out of the flat and the furniture has somehow got into the house. The cycling the kids were booked to go to tomorrow has been cancelled because of expected rain and wind, so we will mind them in the morning while the parents finish clearing out the last bits and clean up.
    It's a shame about the weather because it's the Pride parade tomorrow, which is normally a big highlight of the year.We normally go for the start, just down the road on the seafront. 25 mile an hour winds are forecast.

Dinner was a huge success when we finally ate it. Even Bea enjoyed the beef stew. Edie and Max had seconds.
    Very gratifying.

Kids went to bed OK. Quick bath. Then I read my own books to Bea. :p I have lent 'Little Women' to Edie, my childhood copy. I loved and lived that book as a child. Even made a play from it!

They are all in bed now. My son is not going to DDIL'S parents because he has to be at the house for some crucial fittings, like skylights arriving. So, he may stay with us on Sunday night and then camp at the house next week if they can get the electricity on. Got to get the circuit board sorted. There is one working toilet that was fixed today. Also need to get Internet on. He will go to his gym near him in the interim for WiFi so he can work. He can come here, but it is further and he won't have the car.
    He does need to be at the house, otherwise we would have him stay on.

Getting there!
    Shame about the weather as it means we will be a bit cramped in the house. DDIL was talking about taking them swimming tomorrow afternoon. We will do art in the morning and varnish our boxes that we painted last week.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Debbie - My Fitbit One just died this week. I have had it since 2012 and it worked great until now. I am looking at an Inspire 2. I like that it is water resistant because I do water exercise twice a week. With the One I had to use a conversion table and log the steps on the app but that worked. I would contact Fitbit about the tracker that only lasted a few months. They used to be really good at replacing for free trackers that didn't work well but don't know now that they were bought out that may have changed. Good luck with the new one, Sue in WA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Debbie - I depend on my Fitbit Inspire 3, much more than I ever thought I would. I had the Charge 3 for a long time, until it's battery went dead. I think I've had the Inspire for six months or more. I like it because I can see the time at night, even without my glasses on. I use the timers to make my tea, and the exercise, sleep and step trackers are in daily use, of course. I track my weight there on the Fitbit site, which I like, but their food diaries don't hold a candle to MFP. I like them, they suit me well, and you can get some really kicky leather bands for most of the Fitbits on Amazon for not much. Not fond of their original bands, they never seem to fit or be comfortable for me.

Debbie - That quilt is lovely! He's got a real eye for color and geometric balance.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

Thanks Lisa-
    I am hoping the new fitbit comes in before I leave this afternoon

Here is another of Joel's quilts-They really are amazing.
    He is going to help me with quilting and if I have any gardening questions, (now that dad is gone), I message him. I have known him a few years in class then found out a year ago that he lives just on the next block(I heard a baby goat crying, posted about it and that is when he told me that was his next door neighbor)
    q8e888719rwb.png

Debbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :) Two hour walk in the morning, line dance for the rest of the morning, lunch, and binge watching "The Lincoln Lawyer" on Netflix in the afternoon. Who could ask for anything more. :)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Debbie - My Fitbit One just died this week. I have had it since 2012 and it worked great until now. I am looking at an Inspire 2. I like that it is water resistant because I do water exercise twice a week. With the One I had to use a conversion table and log the steps on the app but that worked. I would contact Fitbit about the tracker that only lasted a few months. They used to be really good at replacing for free trackers that didn't work well but don't know now that they were bought out that may have changed. Good luck with the new one, Sue in WA

I am not sure which version we ordered- he ordered it after I was in bed and didn't have my glasses on. I just wanted to go to sleep(he should have been sleeping hours before-ended up not sleeping at all before going to work at 11:30PM)
    He didn't buy the other one through Fitbit- through a 3rd party. He is sending it back- still under the 30 day, or what ever warranty- barely- until the 9th of this month.
    The new one he bought on Amazon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Lisa: I treated myself to an Inspire 3 when my Alta HR died in April, and love all the extra features. The Alta had to be charged nearly every day, so the 8 day battery in the Inspire is a major improvement.

Heather: Enjoy the time with your family. It’s only a short while, so try to relax into it 😂

💕💖💕
    ☘️ Terri
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,498 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Ah, Sue, I'm sure you're glad your colonoscopy is in your rearview mirror (I'm sorry, I don't know what's gotten into me today... :smiley: ). The preps are never nice, but I'm sorry this one was worse than expected.

Heather - You're always such a trooper where family's concerned. This will be a great memory for the grands in years to come, and of course, they get your superb cooking, too. Hope it all goes as smoothly as it can.

Air conditioning triumphs:
    Our thermometer says 113 outside, and the A/C's on the west side of the house are starting to struggle... but I did check our electric bill for this last time last year, with the whole house A/C running.

We used 88 kilowatts last year in July, and only 30 this year, with higher temperatures this year, too.

That boils down to $356 last year, and our monthly payment will be only $145 this month. Totally paid for the purchase of one of the units in one single month! And kept us from laying out $10,000 on a new main unit for the house.

Sometimes you can make exactly the right decision and find out it was even more right than you expected... :smiley:

Water intake and weird outcomes :
    This got way too long, so the TL;DR, finally figured out that I can no longer drink plain water again. As long as I change it, with coffee, tea, variations on that theme, I do OK. Unfortunately, it took me more than week to figure out why I was in pain.

One of the unexpected outcomes from the resets post-colonoscopy for me was that my gut is back to an intolerance for unadulterated water. It's an outgrowth of the bariatric surgery. It's not that I can't drink water, but it causes ongoing low-level gut aches, and if I drink too much or too fast, it's like getting a solid punch to my center section (temperature doesn't seem to matter).

It won't kill me, and if I'm thirsty and there's only water, I will certainly drink it. It's just uncomfortable, and can get painful. I survived for 15 of the last 18 years drinking coffee/tea or decaf versions of the same, some zero cal drinks like Gatorade Zero, Propel and a few others. Citric acid is painful, too, like the little Mio squirt additives, or lemon or lime juice, unfortunately, and carbonation makes me feel like someone blew me up like a balloon.

However, while all the rest of this medical mess was ongoing, I found that something (maybe one of the medications? I don't know) had made it so that I could once again drink and even gulp or bolt water without pain. I had missed that and took full advantage!

Ah well, least said soonest mended. I knew the recent pain was familiar, but it had been a while. A full day of decaf iced tea and coffee took the pain down completely, and a quick test this afternoon of a big slug of water put the capper on it. Doubled me right over.

Life is so strange... and I would still do that dang surgery in a heartbeat if I knew this life was at the end of it. An inability to drink plain water is just not that big a deal compared to the incomparable gains I've made in life, love and the achievement of happiness...

Moved my Fitbit step goal up from 7,500 to 10,000 today, since I reached it for the second time this week. Every day that I DO move, the easier it gets TO move. Hope everyone's Friday was peachy, and that your weekend is wonderful...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR, where it's cooled off to 101 and Corey is making me a mushroom burger while his jalapeno poppers are crisping up...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Debbie-
    I need some help with Mangos.... I know you buy them, I like them but NEVER buy them, I am not sure how to know if they are ripe and am always disappointed. But Grocery Outlet had them for $1 so I got 2. they are green with a bit of red, large and almost rock hard.... now what???????

Kim in N. california
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Debbie-
    I need some help with Mangos.... I know you buy them, I like them but NEVER buy them, I am not sure how to know if they are ripe and am always disappointed. But Grocery Outlet had them for $1 so I got 2. they are green with a bit of red, large and almost rock hard.... now what???????

Kim in N. california

you need to let them ripen- when they turn more yellow/red and not green plus they need to be slightly soft.
    Our Cardenas Mexican place has them this weekend 4/$1 for the little ones.

Heading up to mom's for the weekend.
    Will check back in on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Worked then the soup kitchen, then stopped at Food Lion to get Gatorade for Vince.

Lisa – yea for jeans! Pretty soon you’ll be wearing them all the time. Verizon upgraded our phones for free, too. Love the quilts

Pip – you are da bomb

Vicki – oh my, how very scary. Hope it never happens again

Debbie – amazing quilts. I could never do something like that.

I think with the actor’s strike, I’ll be playing more mahjongg.

Debbie – safe travels.

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Lost post today.
    Lisa I am glad you find the tips I am learning helpful.

Ginny Yes it will be ongoing to organize. As I set up better systems and ways to use our space it will make things run more smoothly. Today I found a big storage bin in the garage that only had a couple of things in it. A better use was to put the burlap I use on our bushes in the bin rather than let it keep falling on my head when I move things around in the garage.

:heart:

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Lisa - enjoy following your day. Awesome about the A/C, interesting about plain H2O but so happy you have a way around it.

Vicki - oh my word - glad you were able to get your blood sugar checked and the doc was able to get you a pill to help with it. Hope you can rest up and relax this weekend. They don't pay you enough.

Pip - I hope your time with Addison gets her started on a road to health. Bet she loved spending some time with you.

Sue - glad for you the colonoscopy is "behind you" like Lisa says. :p

Heather - great job managing the crew and meals. The main thing - the end is in sight for this remodel and one of these days they can get settled in for good.

Love all the quilts and quilt tops, hand made and store bought. They add so much to a bedroom or as a throw or pillowtops.

Annie - loved hearing that you were a weaver! I had a nice little tabletop loom but eventually sold it, just didn't spend enough time and it needed to go to another home. I've had 3 different spinning wheels throughout my life, sold the last one - an Ashford - a few years ago. It was a dust catcher. And we didn't have sheep anymore so the fleece supply dried up. It still have handspun yarn stashed away for a project some day.

Tracey - I saw a story on Facebook some fella posted about how he was thin and wore medium T-Shirts, they also fit his wife just fine, but when she goes to buy shirts and clothing, same thing - XL! I went to buy jeans a month or so ago, normally take a W14 or a 16. Well, I couldn't even pull 18's up above my hips and that's the largest the store had. What in the world?? Glad I hung on to some of my old jeans, if I can shed these pounds I should be able to fit in them again.

RVRita
    - I agree 100%, this group is great. I find many gems each day from you ladies. Sending hugs and pats on back and "way to go" to you gals!

Have a great weekend <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it hit 90 this afternoon. Chance of rain coming this Tuesday, hope the weatherman hits it for once.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    I will do my stats tomorrow