WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    M I struggled with spelling too! I was such a fast reader. Still am. I learned the whole word method, so I often was able to spell the beginning of words. What helped me is I took a course using the Ortin Giilingham method to help those with dyslexia to learn to read. It is heavily phonetic. My spelling improved dramatically after that course. Today it is much easier to correct spelling. Either the computer will do it for you or it is easier to find the correct spelling online. Because I often have the first part of the word correct I usually have no problems. For those odd ones having phonetic knowledge helps me. One of my biggest problems that you probably see in my post is I leave out the little word like the and a. I am also not the best typist so I do have typos. I try to catch them but I figure a few here and there doesn't hurt anything and I let it go. If it is a professional text then I go over it with a fine tooth comb.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Wow I was out like a light last night.. I needed it.. going to get dressed and get to the drs at 10 and then over for bloodwork im guessing..
    I was up and down stairs at the cottage and am severely out of shape and am worried about getting around a huge cruise ship..i am bringing my cane ,but I don't know if I should rent a scooter or not.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Tracey, You are embarking on a new adventure not unlike taking a cruise or joining a new club. You can do this. Take it one day at a time and enjoy every moment.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    M I struggled with spelling too! I was such a fast reader. Still am. I learned the whole word method, so I often was able to spell the beginning of words. What helped me is I took a course using the Ortin Giilingham method to help those with dyslexia to learn to read. It is heavily phonetic. My spelling improved dramatically after that course. Today it is much easier to correct spelling. Either the computer will do it for you or it is easier to find the correct spelling online. Because I often have the first part of the word correct I usually have no problems. For those odd ones having phonetic knowledge helps me. One of my biggest problems that you probably see in my post is I leave out the little word like the and a. I am also not the best typist so I do have typos. I try to catch them but I figure a few here and there doesn't hurt anything and I let it go. If it is a professional text then I go over it with a fine tooth comb.

When I'm talking and if I get stuck for a word, I'll often say, "it starts with ...". I often think of words as the first letter or two and then some other random stuff.

My spelling improved after taking Latin. When I understood where a lot of words came from, it helped me spell them better.

The word "benefit" is one example. For years I spelled it benifit because that's how it seemed like it should be spelled. When I learned that a Latin word for good is bene, then I finally understood why benefit is spelled the way it is.

But I still struggle with words like necessary. Prior to computers, I began spelling it neccsseccssary and telling instructors to just delete out the extra letters.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Did a portrait of Bea after lunch. I'm quite pleased with it
    h5oyo6wnligi.jpg
    I also did a touch up of the features on Edie's portrait. I think it's an improvement.
    p6cn9e7l6lqh.jpg
    Now to play a bit more.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Barbara ~ Congrats on your weight loss. And, the thought of smelling the fresh forest sounds so refreshing.

Ginny ~ Installing a faucet would be beyond me. Good that you can do that and save money.

Lisa ~ The photos of the family enjoying their hike are great and they do look so happy. Good luck on your rearranging and letting go of things you don’t need.

Kylia ~ Let us know how you like your Sharkie. I could really benefit by one of those. Sorry about your DH and the blame game. That also happens around my house.

Terri ~ It is wonderful that you and your husband enjoy visiting the places around your part of the world. Good that he enjoys doing these things with you.

Margaret ~ So nice of you to invite your friend to visit the fashion show with you. Was she a former teacher?

Tracey ~ Good luck as you begin your degree! I am sure that you will be a great student and a gift to those you will encounter after the course.

Lanette ~ Thanks for the chickie updates!

Debbie & Rebecca & Michelle ~ You are all to be admired for your thriftiness and cooking ability. We enjoy reading about the things you make.

Organizing is a total OUT in my home. My husband has managed to put his things in every room, closet, and open space in our house. Almost all of it is things that he has hoarded. And, if I attempt to move anything he has a hissy fit. I would love to have a living and dining room free of his stuff so I could feel good about being able to see it clean and neat.

I am another who can’t spell worth a darn. I play POGO scrabble online with others and find that the word I want to spell is wrong a lot of the time. I learned to read phonetically and mispronounce words all the time because of that.

Welcome to all who have visited and keep coming back! Post as often as you wish as we all enjoy meeting you.

Carol in GA

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I am struggling with starting again on my diet and exercise stuff. I'm good with the bike, but the yoga and dumbbells are hard to get going again, and my scale is showing it. Plus I have been overeating. Time to clean it up!

Teddy is still wearing his cone from having his lumps removed. So I have been carrying him up and down the stairs, and hand feeding him. Hopefully that will end on Friday when his stitches come out.

My aunt is slightly better, but still in danger. She is comfortable, and sometimes that's as good as it gets.

My ex was all about blame. One time I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from a medical appointment. He yelled and screamed about how I made him worry. I refused to accept any blame and that upset him even more. I'm so glad I left him.

Have a great day ladies, and make good choices!

Annie in Delaware

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Terri - Loved hearing about your family get together. :D<3 Your projected walk sounds wonderful. Isn't it great to see some sun! It got me out running this morning. It should be hot here by Wed/Thurs.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Machka - I believe that Rebecca lives on Whidbey Island.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Carol friend is from church. She retired as a school nurse and also has a husband with cancer, so I wanted something that would be a great treat for both of us.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    Oops....while I have managed to maintain current if not goal weight, DH has gained 16 pounds in 3 months! It would help if he didn't drink so much. Concern includes fatty liver as his liver blood work was almost double what it has been. I said changes in diet and adding exercise will help, but he needs to help me help him. I can't do it for him. Seriously! He says it's because he quit smoking last September....funny he lost weight over the winter...I am sure snacking on cheezits while I am cooking dinner doesnt help.
    So to help us both I reckon a menu is in order with easy prep/quick meals, crockpot, microwave. Something to work on while on vacation....I like variety and fresh. He likes burgers and fries.

Back to work
    Much ❤️
    Kylia in wet Ohio
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    Biggest challenge right now is not "permitting or accepting" my DH'S blame for things that aren't mine. Did that make sense? Example.....at car show yesterday, I dozed off in the heat under our umbrella. He was chatting on his phone. A breeze lifted our umbrella and it blew away and hit the car next to ours. No damage done, but scary! For some reason he thinks I should have been paying attention. SMH. I was asleep. Oh well. It happens daily, so I just need to not accept his thoughts on these things.

❤️
    Kylia in Ohio thankful for rain but hating migraine

I'd just say, "That's not my fault! You were awake. You should have been paying attention."

My DH does the same things! He’d be driving and miss a turn or decide to pass someone right before a turnoff then miss it and blame me! I just say, I’m not driving. LOL I think many men are like this, nothing is there fault. They blame everything on everyone else but themselves. We who get blamed must not let it get to us. I used to, now I just calmly say “I did not use that”, or “I’m not driving” or I didn’t cook today, or any other appropriate statement. Just don’t say “it’s not my fault” or get defensive that just seems to feed them.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    Options
    I am new. How often do you post?
    I am looking for accountability other than my husband (who is great at caring about my endeavours)
    This year has been the first year that a hummingbird has come to our feeder on a regular basis; it is so awesome to watch. Our backyard garden has become our oasis in Canada.

Welcome SweetHeart299! Post whenever you feel like you want to reply or let us know something. Some of us post once a day, others several times. It’s all about what you want to do. This is a great place for support, but understand we are very chatty and may use up 4 pages in a day!

Don’t forget to bookmark this page and come back frequently.

RVRita, in Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Barbara ~ Congrats on your weight loss. And, the thought of smelling the fresh forest sounds so refreshing.

Organizing is a total OUT in my home. My husband has managed to put his things in every room, closet, and open space in our house. Almost all of it is things that he has hoarded. And, if I attempt to move anything he has a hissy fit. I would love to have a living and dining room free of his stuff so I could feel good about being able to see it clean and neat.

I am another who can’t spell worth a darn. I play POGO scrabble online with others and find that the word I want to spell is wrong a lot of the time. I learned to read phonetically and mispronounce words all the time because of that.

Welcome to all who have visited and keep coming back! Post as often as you wish as we all enjoy meeting you.

Carol in GA

Carol, I’m glad I’m not alone! I would love to organize but have to endure a ‘hissy fit’ if I touch something that is not exclusively mine!
    RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    LizzyinWA wrote: »
    New here. Very new! Just jumping in...
    Matchka - I lived on Whidbey for 20 years. A lot of "firsts" on that Island, first graduation, first house, first apartment, first car, first (and only) marriage, and more. It is a beautiful place. Loved being able to get out on a boat and catch dinner. Loved the drive onto the island, either by ferry or the big beautiful bridge.

Re-starting the weight loss journey. Currently hanging out in PNW. Retired to the RV life.
    LizzyinWA (that signature is probably going to need adjusting as we are not always in WA anymore)

Welcome Lizzyin! I am currently living the RV life and have been for the last 7 years. I volunteer as host at a state park and love it. My only wish is that my camper had a slide out for more room in the main area, but otherwise, I don’t regret going this route at all!

RVRita welcoming RVLizzyin!