WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Hi Kayne ( @kaynelvb ) ... have you found your way over to the August thread yet?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I know quite a few people with a lot of those difficulties. Several have ADHD or are on the spectrum. My DSIL seems to have a form of executive dysfunction, a sort of dyspraxia of the brain.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Does she have difficulty riding the bicycle?

Some of that, below, could be me!! :) Although I think I've become more coordinated as I age.

Dyspraxia is a neurodevelopmental disorder of movement and coordination in which messages sent from the brain to the muscles are interrupted. It is often identified in early childhood, but can also come on later in life after an illness or acquired brain injury.

It causes problems with tasks such as handwriting or tying shoelaces, or with motor skills like catching or riding a bike.

In adults, dyspraxia can come on after a brain injury or stroke, or as a symptom of dementia.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/dyspraxia

Clumsy movement and tendency to trip over.
    Poor hand-eye coordination.
    Difficulty distinguishing sounds from background noise.
    Notable lack of rhythm when dancing or exercising.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/151951#diagnosis_adults

Having all that at once, and to a severe level, must be very hard to live with.

It's why I'm on antidepressants. :) Keeps my mood nice and stable.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Rori Good to see you post...One of the key take away I remember from Eating on the Wild Side is how our veggies are being modified to become sweeter to accommodate our sweet tooth. Ironically the more bitter a veggie is often means it has more nutrients. I like tangy and bitter foods. Also the more intense the color like purple as in blueberries and blackberries are good for us too. I am glad her suggestions for preserving fruits and veggies is helpful. I have to admit I have to look up how to set my storage bins for how much moisture is good for my fruits and veggies if when cleaning the bins I accidentally move the slide. I still cannot convince DH tomatoes are best left on the counter and stem up.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - It's a form of mental dyspraxia that I think she has. I did find it online once, when I went looking for it. She was driving DH crazy with her inability to plot out an essay, or summarise a book and pick out salient information. She was doing a counselling course at the time and he was trying to help her. She is a very slow reader and finds even simple Internet research, for example, on Amazon, very difficult. It takes her ages to read a menu and make a decision. She often rings us up for help on simple decisions, like what wine to buy.
    Fortunately for her, she rarely gives up and sticks with it to the end!
    It is only when you watch someone struggling painfully with something you find second nature and very easy, that you realise how fortunate you are.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Oops ... I mixed people up and thought you were talking about your daughter-in-law, the cyclist. :blush:

Sorry about your SIL. Does she also have dyslexia?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    A little tired on Friday morning, the last day of the conference ...
    7cqs9g8vz2dv.png

From the top of the Ferris Wheel in Brisbane ...
    3uwzfmyl90ki.png

k132x530t4in.png

vogdw959cso1.png

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Today is a new day...and ive messaged the new Mrs Wagner and had a nice chat...d6u529kx4n5x.jpg
    These are her grandpups all dressed up for the festivities
    Adorable aren't they?
    They had a little rain so had to move inside ,but all went well...
    Going to do some laundry today ..and some picking up..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,957 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 3/20
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate good people.

Meditation: daily. 9/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 169/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)68/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 29/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Lisa - the dahl makhani is very mild. He just doesn't really appreciate a big bowlful of lentils! He is fine with them in small doses. He is not a fan of 'stodgy' food. Nor very spicy, though he can tolerate a bit. I adore any kind of pulses. :D And hot, hot HOT!!!
    Plus I get to play my 'sacred' music at top volume while I am cooking. Today I played Allegre's Miserere, from Kings College Chapel. It has to be the Roy Goodman version. The 12 year old boy with muddy knees under his cassock from
    playing rugby . It was on Soul Music.
    Then I played Tallis - Spem in Alium, from the same album. Wonderful. It's sung in a circle around the audience.
    Then Jan Gabarek, Officium. Parce Mihi Domine. This has a rather different meaning to me as it was the album a lover played to me .
    All that just about took me through cooking the lamb tagine and being nice to DH by washing up for a change. All that spirituality must have gone to my head. :p

Machka
    - She writes a perfectly spelled email or text, so I don't know. She got through all her courses until the pre-MA level, when they suggested she call it a day at that level. She is very happy and still practising counselling at 70.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I had to chuckle at Lupper. My friends and I use that term as well.

Okie in the TX Hill Country.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Rita - im glad they took good care of you and most definitely a nap..
    Yes today is a much better day..and feeling much better
    Got laundry done and will take it down to the dryer and getbmy mail from yesterday.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Lanette- I am really enjoying your "chicken diaries". I also love to see your insight on life after loss because your situation with your late husband is so similar to what I am currently going through with my DH. The lack of appetite is distressing for me. He eats about one meal a day (of smaller portions) and then sips on different flavored waters or juices. And I don't mean constantly sips; just taking in perhaps 20-30 oz of liquid each day. His bad RA days far outnumber the good ones. I nag (just a bit) and tell him that if he'd eat more protein (or even more. period.) he might have more good days... Oh well. He is en compos mentis , so I will let him judge his intake and care. But definitely a hard path to travel; which is why I treasure your thoughts. Thank you!

On marriage- I think everyone has their "lines" that are drawn, and they all seem to be different for everyone. For instance, my daughter (raised by me with the way my brain thinks) has set far different "lines" in her marriage. Things that she thinks she would "work through" are absolute deal busters for me and my DH. Machka's memes really sunk home about changing in a marriage. It took me until I was about 48 to realize that I can't change anything about my DH and it is wrong of me to think that THAT is my problem. I took a long hard look at our marriage and myself and realized that I am the one who changed in our marriage. Plus, my desires in life hadn't changed since I was a teenage and I was harboring a lot of anger towards my DH/kids who I thought were holding me back from what I wanted. With perimenopause and the wonderful hormonal changes, I also became much more vocal about things and developed a backbone for the first time in my life and started to put my own opinions, thoughts, and desires out there and verbally back them up. SO...seeing/realizing these changes in me, made me very grateful for having a man who stood by all of my changing. I have also since learned/realized that the kindness and understanding that I want from him, is a two way street. He is a person who needs to be told that he is needed and valued. He needs this on almost a daily basis. I have found that my words and deeds of affirmation to him will produce a much better version of him. I also learned to be content where I am and to find adventures closer to home. I find if I look at the world through the eyes of the children that I care for, there is so much to be amazed by and so many beauty and joy to be experienced quite literally in my own back yard.
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Kelly - I want to hit "Insightful", "Inspiring", "Like" and "Hug". All of them. <3 I wish I had read your post ten or twenty years ago, but who knows if it would have sunk in then. It took me a long time to reach similar conclusions, but glad I did.

Our DH's needs for daily reminders they are needed and valued are SO TRUE. Even if we don't feel like it and are looking through the cupboard for cast iron skillets, telling them something every day to build them up goes a long way. Even if they don't reciprocate - I think they do in other ways. ;)

It took me a long time to grow up enough to not resent being "ignored" when it came to compliments from him and I'd churn on his occasional criticism far too long. I had so much to be thankful for! I should have bonked myself with that skillet to knock some sense into myself, lol. :p ( I can hear DH saying "told you so!" :p )

My DH never drank water except a gulp to take his pills. Everything else was either a Pepsi and beer or two. I was shocked when I started paying attention to his liquid and protein intake.

How exciting to see the butterflies emerging - helping your daughter house-hunt sounds like fun! <3

Lanette B)

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did Kettleworx DVD Resistance then went to WalMart for a few things. Came home and had breakfast then walked to Food Lion, they have peaches on sale and they are the cling free ones. I might stop there tomorrow on my way home from work since I also need to stop at Dollar General to get distilled water.

It is OK to go to Denise’s on Sun, Mon and Tues. Unfortunately, we won’t get to see much of her. But on the bright side she said that Pete would be home so we’ll get to see him. I’ll probably make shake & Bake chicken. That’s something that PJ can help with.

Tracey – good luck with that computer. When our kids were small (from the time they were infants) we took a two day trip (so that involved an over-night bag for each of the kids, not to mention us) to see the in-laws every year. Let me tell you, it was FUN the years of potty training….lol Denise has yet to come down here. Pete has only been to our house three times in 15 years. So your daughter not finding time is no surprise at all.

Lanette – no, there isn’t anything special going on in the town. We looked at the prices for the hotels as far out as the end of Oct. No change. We even looked at the prices for hotels within a 25 mile area. No change. The reason? Now people are doing more “leisure travel” on the weekends. Supply and demand. So that explains why prices are so much higher on Fri and Sat. than on Sun. Used to be that hotels were more expensive Mon to Thurs because of the business travels. Not any more. That’s according to the manager at the hotel.

Rori – safe travels

Off

Michele NC