WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    Options
    03e3puwdhwba.png

Welcome to the newcomers!

This thread moves fast ... lots of posts. Feel free to jump into whatever conversation you like.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    v37vs7ey6jvl.png

You've seen me post the wellness wheel before. :)

Most of things on there relate to mental health: spiritual, social, intellectual, emotional, environmental, and even financial and occupational.

One item relates to physical health.

Physical health includes:
    • Physical Activity and Body Movement - body composition, flexibility, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and cardiorespiratory endurance. Stand, walk around, stretch, park at the other end of the parking lot or use public transportation so you've got to walk, take the stairs, be less efficient so that you take multiple trips to put away the laundry, move the groceries, and do housework.

This is my favourite one ... I love being active. :)

• Eat a Healthy Balanced Diet - Mediterranean, Blue Zone ... whatever's best for your heart, kidneys, diabetic tendencies, etc.

I like a diet full of fruit and veg.

• Stay Hydrated - good for the brain, joints, digestion, kidney health, temperature regulation, etc.

I know I feel better when I have 2-3 tall glasses of water during my workday. :)

• Get Adequate Sleep

I struggle with this one for a couple reasons ... I like my alone time and there's a lot to do.

• Good Hygiene - washing hands, brushing teeth, cleaning and disinfecting objects we use often such as mobile phones, keys, wallets and work passes, and generally reducing the spread of illness

Speaking of which, I do need to clean my workpass and lanyard!!

• Limit Alcohol and Avoid Smoking

I've never smoked and rarely drink.

• Regular Health Check-ups - routine preventative care, catching problems early.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Some of my (Machka's) selfcare ideas. :)

z8k62erzwup8.png

And more selfcare ideas ...

fzydyuvkgcnr.png

xcvzhuzduxeu.png

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    Options
    Machka: I’m well ahead on self care today 😝
    After I got up and made my bed:
    • I wrote in my journal, composed a poem and reviewed a poem I wrote in 2008
    • had a short walk, and did a dance workout video
    • made/ate a good healthy breakfast, had a shower and dressed, did my hair
    • folded laundry from yesterday and put it away
    • went through my craft tool box to make sure I have what I need for the card making group I just joined. It’s this afternoon.
    • I’m sitting now with a cup of coffee catching up with our lovely ladies.
    • DH went out to a committee meeting after breakfast, and I told him how smart he looked.
    • Now I’m just about to do a few games on my iPad
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Exercised, listening to Dr Rangan Chatterjee while I did my mat work. About how our brain is wired to our ancient needs for food and exercise. Conserving energy was our main need. So it's not your fault if you lie on the couch all day, eating candy, and scrolling on your phone. :p:p:p

Then did about 400 words of writing, about how I got into painting. We are going to have a session this afternoon. I'm nervous about it, as I'm completing a picture of our dining room. I'm not optimistic.

Then chatted to G about her sister's trip. She is exhausted and relieved it is over, but could see some positive elements.

Just had lunch. Now to get the art stuff out.

Welcome new people!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
    Tracergirl wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to the thread. 8 weeks ago I started my journey to health and will be down 80lbs when I reach my goal. I have list 25lbs so far, and get a little bummed when the scale sticks for a week.

Welcome, u r doing an awesome job, stay on course girlfriend!!!!
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. Thank you for the kind words regarding my cat. She was very much loved and we miss her.

Dealing with my apples now as garden is winding down. Just have carrots and potatoes out there for a few more weeks. Made my first apple pie yesterday and it was so good. Have 5 more shells waiting to be filled and frozen. Will tackle that this afternoon.

Nice and sunny today. Enjoy!

Joy
  • Machka9
    Options
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Good morning, ladies. Thank you for the kind words regarding my cat. She was very much loved and we miss her.

Dealing with my apples now as garden is winding down. Just have carrots and potatoes out there for a few more weeks. Made my first apple pie yesterday and it was so good. Have 5 more shells waiting to be filled and frozen. Will tackle that this afternoon.

Nice and sunny today. Enjoy!

Joy

Very sorry about your cat. :( They have a place in our hearts.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate my ability to teach.
    Meditation: daily. 7/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 5/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 184/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 7/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 34/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Heather - I really like it. I think it's got a lot of thought in it, and it's a lovely scene, all in all. Well done!

Just got off the phone with the hematology nurse, and they're pleased with my tests. They want me to add vitamin C when I take my iron to improve the absorption and get the borderline low readings back up into the normal. They will test again in four months. So things are going well regarding getting a handle on the anemia. That's one down!

Next week is the echocardiogram to see if there's been any damage from three years of AFib, and to make sure there are no clots. Will talk to the cardiologist in early October to decide whether they can do what's necessary to get my heart back to a normal rhythm.

Apparently, Crohn's is very associated with AFib. I did the research, of course, but can't find any research on the connection to surgery success rates with Crohn's as a complicating factor. Too specialized, I guess. One more question to ask the cardio when I see him in October.

Only if you're a research junkie:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6580358/#:~:text=The primary findings of our,corticosteroids, and/or biological agents : The positive relationship between the severity of IBD [including Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis] and the incidence of AF [atrial fibrillation] accounts for the association between the two diseases.

In a Danish nationwide study, IBD was classified as flare-up, persistent disease, and remission based on disease activity, and the association between disease activity of IBD and the development of AF were evaluated[18]. Incidence of AF increased during IBD flare-ups and periods of persistent disease, but not during periods of remission[18] ... patients with moderate-to-severe IBD have a higher risk of AF than those with mild IBD.

My two issues were found separately, which is apparently quite common. For mine, the AFib was found by my primary care doc, and the gastroenterologists found what they thought was ulcerative colitis and have now decided is Crohn's. According to that study, the Crohn's may well have caused the AFib.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
    My brain is swimming. I'm going to go lie down and nap if I can.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    Options
    Heather: Love it. Good perspective and tonal variation.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ I really like your latest painting.

Carol in Ga