WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,438 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies-

This morning I put together 2 more pints of Vitamin "G" - fermented honey & garlic. The fermented part will take place over the next few weeks. ;)

zd7uu424nox9.jpg

The pint on the left is a year old, the pint on the right is today's. Supposed to be a potent immunity booster, cough syrup, throat soother, you name it. The aged garlic is very mild. :p

Here's a link if anyone feels like putting some together:

He talks about putting onions and garlic and honey together, I'm going to see what I can find on this.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Well i booked 2 resort day passes for Aruba and Curasuo(sp) that i can handle..will see what i can find in Bonaire
    .no day passes there
    Carmine was supposed to walk to the bus stop this morning, which she didn't, she skipped school and went to Seth's.
    Tracy just got off the phone with Karen Seth's mom and Carmine will be staying up there for a little while
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Got my morning walk in and then spent a lot of time down a rabbit hole watching an interview with James Nestor, author of "Breath", which some of us have read.

We've been discussing "The Blue Zones" and longevity. Nestor maintains one of the biggest keys to longevity is lung capacity, and just focusing on diet alone doesn't do it.

Which makes me wonder - Blue Zone's researcher Dan Buettner stresses diet, for sure, but also activity, like the sustained activity doing things outside, like walking long distances or doing physical labor like gardening, for example, which folks in the Blue Zones are doing. Activity our ancestors did for centuries. Is the secret to more activity and the positive effect on longevity actually due the increased lung functon it creates which benefits not only our circulatory systems, but other health and brain benefits we didn't realize were also positively impacted by proper nasal breathing?

If I'm sitting hunched over a laptop or in front of the TV for hours on end, then walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes or do a 20 minute walking video, does that spurt of exercise make up for my restricted breathing caused by sitting with bad posture for most of the rest of the day?

Or is it really better to be active more, all day long, (at least 10 minutes of standing movement for every hour of sitting or whatever the recommendation is) and use our lungs more?

The interview also goes into nasal breathing (our noses amp up nitric oxide which is a virus and bacteria killer, humming multiplies the effect) and stopping mouth breathing at night which contributes to sleep apnea, reduced sleep quality according to the research Nestor presents.

Anyhow, he covers LOTS more. :) Here's a link to the video:

And a link to Nestor's website - I focused on the bibliography page which cites research findings and more videos.

https://www.mrjamesnestor.com/bibliography

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

10 years ago, I started with my organisation and an ergonomic assessor set me up at my desk. She went through a bunch of questions including one about how much I exercised daily. About 1 hour a day, I told her, and more on weekends.

Then she asked how much time I spent sitting.

Pretty much the rest of the time when I wasn't sleeping.

Then she told me about how that isn't healthy ... and I did more research on it too.

What's healthier is to keep active.

So I walk as part of my commute. I take the stairs in the morning and at lunch and other times throughout the day. I walk at lunch. I walk as part of my commute going home. I walk Rhody after work. And I get up during the evening and walk around the house.

I would put exercise at the top of the list for healthy aging. Exercise keeps you mobile and able to do things. It is great for stress relief and mental health. It aids the digestive system. So many benefits to exercise.

I also love my sit-stand desk and will stand for an hour or two each day.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,745 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just keeping busy working and stuff, nothing real exciting. Took Loki to the vet Wed. for blood work. Bought a new grill. The one we have right now works, but it needed a new regulator. Vince found one online and installed it and now it makes a humming noise for about the first 10 minutes you put it on. It’s a Kenmore about 13 years old. Parts will be harder and harder to find. Drove to a city about 45 minutes away to save $300 so it was worth the trip.

Barbie – I’m so sorry Jake hurt his ankle AND his knee. You’ll get thru this, I know. Glad to hear Bodhi is settling in

Rosemary – sorry you have Covid

Carol – sorry to hear this but glad everything got cleared up

I understand Jerry didn’t come in to work Wednesday and today he said to me “they don’t want me to work”. Probably because he had been drinking.

Rebecca – lovely letter “from Santa”

pip – congrats on being debt free

Walked to Food Lion the other day because the gal who wrote a rain check put the full price, not the sale price on it. When I explained this to the gal, she kept insisting that it was right since the sale was still on. Huh? Finally a manager came over and after I explained it to him he said to her “she’s (meaning me) right”. You should have seen the gal take off in a huff. As if to say “the customer can’t be right, I have to be”. The manager said he’d talk to her. Honestly!

When the kids were small, every year the bathroom downstairs (where I hid the presents while I was wrapping them) mysteriously had to be locked for one reason or another – the toilet was leaking, the sink leaked, etc. Then every year miraculously Christmas day the bathroom got “fixed”. Do you know the kids never figured it out until we moved out of that house?

I miss the Y only because of their pool. They are the only ones I know around here who have an olympic size pool. Oh, I forgot, the college has one, but it doesn’t have deep water aerobics classes.

Heather – lovely home they’re building

Rebecca – big congrats on the birth

pip – why is the ride still virtual? I remember they went that way when Covid hit, but it’s not a big thing any more so why are they continuing to have it virtually? Congrats on the new bike rack. Looks real nice

Joy – so sorry about your cat. Our fur babies are such a big part of our lives. Our cat is 15 and has a seizure disorder, an anxiety disorder, and cancer. He’s getting oral chemo, but he seems happy and that’s the important thing

Finished pulling all the weeds around the pool. Next I want to put down this “ground clear” stuff. It kills EVERYTHING and I sure don’t want those weeds growing back until we put down the stones around the pool

Not sure why the pool is still getting algae in it. We cleaned the filters (were they ever dirty!). I’m wondering if we need to change the filters. Vince thinks we need to shock it. Maybe we should do both? Not a bad idea to me.

Walked to Food Lion since they; have cabbage on sale (49 cents/pound). I’ll make coleslaw in case Jess comes here this weekend. Otherwise, we will eat it. On the way home it started to rain. I swear, if we need rain, just have me walk to Food Lion. So many times it starts to rain on my way home.

Soup kitchen tomorrow. You know, I'm very surprised they haven't gotten a lot of donations of zucchini. They just got a big donation of potatoes recently. I can't get over some of the good food those people get. We get WalMart brand bread. They get Wonder bread. Only once in the (about) 13 years that I've been volunteering did I ever see something and say to myself "there's no way I'd put that in my stomach". We get Aldi brand frozen pizza, they get DiGiorno.

Michele NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    othing real exciting. Took Loki to the vet Wed. for blood work. Bought a new grill. The one we have right now works, but it needed a new regulator. Vince found one online and installed it and now it makes a humming noise for about the first 10 minutes you put it on. It’s a Kenmore about 13 years old. Parts will be harder and harder to find. Drove to a city about 45 minutes away to save $300 so it was worth the trip.

Barbie – I’m so sorry Jake hurt his ankle AND his knee. You’ll get thru this, I know. Glad to hear Bodhi is settling in

I understand Jerry didn’t come in to work Wednesday and today he said to me “they don’t want me to work”. Probably because he had been drinking.

Walked to Food Lion the other day because the gal who wrote a rain check put the full price, not the sale price on it. When I explained this to the gal, she kept insisting that it was right since the sale was still on. Huh? Finally a manager came over and after I explained it to him he said to her “she’s (meaning me) right”. You should have seen the gal take off in a huff. As if to say “the customer can’t be right, I have to be”. The manager said he’d talk to her. Honestly!

When the kids were small, every year the bathroom downstairs (where I hid the presents while I was wrapping them) mysteriously had to be locked for one reason or another – the toilet was leaking, the sink leaked, etc. Then every year miraculously Christmas day the bathroom got “fixed”. Do you know the kids never figured it out until we moved out of that house?

I miss the Y only because of their pool. They are the only ones I know around here who have an olympic size pool. Oh, I forgot, the college has one, but it doesn’t have deep water aerobics classes.

pip – why is the ride still virtual? I remember they went that way when Covid hit, but it’s not a big thing any more so why are they continuing to have it virtually? Congrats on the new bike rack. Looks real nice

Joy – so sorry about your cat. Our fur babies are such a big part of our lives. Our cat is 15 and has a seizure disorder, an anxiety disorder, and cancer. He’s getting oral chemo, but he seems happy and that’s the important thing

Finished pulling all the weeds around the pool. Next I want to put down this “ground clear” stuff. It kills EVERYTHING and I sure don’t want those weeds growing back until we put down the stones around the pool

Not sure why the pool is still getting algae in it. We cleaned the filters (were they ever dirty!). I’m wondering if we need to change the filters. Vince thinks we need to shock it. Maybe we should do both? Not a bad idea to me.

Walked to Food Lion since they; have cabbage on sale (49 cents/pound). I’ll make coleslaw in case Jess comes here this weekend. Otherwise, we will eat it. On the way home it started to rain. I swear, if we need rain, just have me walk to Food Lion. So many times it starts to rain on my way home.

Soup kitchen tomorrow. You know, I'm very surprised they haven't gotten a lot of donations of zucchini. They just got a big donation of potatoes recently. I can't get over some of the good food those people get. We get WalMart brand bread. They get Wonder bread. Only once in the (about) 13 years that I've been volunteering did I ever see something and say to myself "there's no way I'd put that in my stomach". We get Aldi brand frozen pizza, they get DiGiorno.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,552 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.💖
    Had a nice chat with my mother in law who is 90 yrs young. Family keeps telling us she is getting forgetful, but when we chat with her conversations are easy, and engaging. She is Mom to me, and helped me when I lost my own mother in 1999.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • lolitahuggins
    lolitahuggins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to the group. Excited to see Ladies in NW Washington
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,898 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Just keeping busy working and stuff, nothing real exciting. Took Loki to the vet Wed. for blood work. Bought a new grill. The one we have right now works, but it needed a new regulator. Vince found one online and installed it and now it makes a humming noise for about the first 10 minutes you put it on. It’s a Kenmore about 13 years old. Parts will be harder and harder to find. Drove to a city about 45 minutes away to save $300 so it was worth the trip.

Michele NC

The food program at my old church(where mom still goes) gets some amazing donations every week. There is a high end local bakery that donates a lot- dh loves it when I get Costeaux's sour dough. There are some weeks they get so much along with other breads from the food bank and Safeway that they have extra and let us take as much as we want. They sell it for $8 a loaf. We also are now getting a lot from Guy Fieri from his "Grocery Games" show. A local high end creamery donates often, along with other local places.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

Still not a fan of gardening. I threw a couple plants away tonight rather than deadheading and watering them .😂
    Hopefully next week I can do more.
    I’m sure they were screaming at me from inside the bin, I just closed the lid and walked away.

Debbie - I really think your DH should just stop going to his mother’s for a while. It’s not good for anyone.

Tracey in Edmonton

I wish he would too but he keeps going back for more abuse, even when there is no reason to. After this morning, he should have just said that is it, and not go back this evening but instead, he ended up going back just a few hours later(after spending time doing her errands) and stayed there for a few more hours. I do not understand it.
    I was happy to go out walking with my friend.
    Feet are hurting tonight but after walking the wetlands a bit over an hour and then with her, I hit 20,000 steps after I got home. Hope to sleep good tonight.

Debbie

• mitchandsamsmom
    mitchandsamsmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi new here
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Michele NC

Wonder bread is "good food"???

That's one brand I avoid because of its poor quality. Doesn't it have high fructose corn syrup in it?

Bread is one thing I spend a little more on to get quality.

And I don't get bread with sugar in it.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    Options
    Joy: Sorry about your fur baby. (((Hugs)))

We had an enjoyable day with DED at the sculpture exhibition. It was much larger than expected. We had lunch, and I was quite surprised at how much restaurant food has gone up. We then took her to see the King’s Coronation Garden before leaving her back to the train station.

I will be having an active rest day today.

🤗 🤗 🤗 and 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻

☘️ Terri