WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Margaret I love that! I screen shot it.
    Machka So true! Even my conversations go that way. My DH says my squirrels get the best of me.
    :)
    Kylia
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Thinking about Jake, so glad he went to get the knee seen to! Thinking of you, as well. Glad, too, that the kept an eye on him for the night. Hope there is no joint damage from the infection.

Ginny - Hope you enjoy the dinner with your YS and DIL!

Tina - First, welcome back! The pictures were just wonderful. Second, I'm with Machka - 78 degrees would drive me right round the bend for in-home temperatures. I get horribly cranky when I'm too hot for too long.

Heather - Glad the results were negative, and hope you feel better soon! I'm going to have to look into my next booster as well, now that the FDA has approved them here. Jessamy is such a lovely woman - and all three of your grands have such great combinations of her features and Jack's. Handsome family.

I've gained four and a half pounds in the last four days, and I've been tracking my food. I'm not eating nearly enough to account for the gain, and I've been moving, not being sedentary. I'm well aware that a large chunk of it is water weight, but I don't care how far we get past our "dieting" days, it's disconcerting.

It has me seriously contemplating a two- to three-day bone fast at the beginning of next week. Corey was totally fascinated by the complete reset my system went through from the clear liquid fast prior to the colonoscopy. While he usually doesn't weigh in on my food choices, he has urged me to try a two- to three-day liquid fast (without, of course the complete laxative purge after!) to see if it would help me reset my system once more. I still haven't decided whether I'm doing it, but am going to go ahead and get a chicken in today to roast and then re-cook for bone broth, with the thought of attempting a bone broth fast. Has anyone tried this kind of fasting (or any voluntary 24- to 48-hour fasting), and if so, any advice or suggestions?

Hope it is or has been a lovely day for all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) Sodium is something I pay attention to. My meals are generally low sodium but when I veer from that path (packaged foods or restaurant foods) I see the difference on the scale immediately and it takes days to reset when I go back to my regular foods. I don't take the scale too seriously one day at a time and look for trends.

:) Jake is lonely in the hospital and sent his first text to see if I was awake at 3:15. When I got up at 4:20 I had so much to do getting dressed, taking dogs out, feeding them, taking them out again that it was 5:30 before I could talk or text to him. They are coming in this morning to see Jake for physical therapy and other treatment so I was able to postpone bringing things to him until later. I host a Zoom meeting at 8:45 AM so my visit would have had to be very early or wait to leave the house until after 10. It is about a 30 minute drive to the hospital. Instead, I was able to have quality time in the yard with the dogs and still take my 90 minute 10,000 step walk.

:)Kelly, what a great plan to have your grandsons included in your day care group.

:) I wear shoes and socks almost all the time so I'm ready to go out with the dogs. I wear socks to bed. I am barefoot only in the shower.

:) We keep the thermostat at 69 in the winter and 74 in the summer with programming to go down to 60 at night in the winter and 70 in the summer. We wear lots of layers when it is cold and have small blankets available, as needed.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate the decisions our lawmakers make.
    Meditation: daily. 7/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 10/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 188/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 34/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Jake ~ Thinking about you and hope Jake will make a quick recovery.

Kelly ~ How exciting to have the family closer!

Lisa ~ The sudden weight gain has to be water weight. Just keep doing all the good things for your health that you have been doing.

Rita ~ Add my good thoughts that your son will recover quickly.

Rebecca ~ Love Eli's hair.

I have been wearing a knee brace when I go out to the grocery store and today discovered I have a huge purple area on the outside of my knee that must be broken blood vessels. I don't know if it is the brace or another problem.

Carol in GA

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Thinking about Jake, so glad he went to get the knee seen to! Thinking of you, as well. Glad, too, that the kept an eye on him for the night. Hope there is no joint damage from the infection.

Ginny - Hope you enjoy the dinner with your YS and DIL!

Tina - First, welcome back! The pictures were just wonderful. Second, I'm with Machka - 78 degrees would drive me right round the bend for in-home temperatures. I get horribly cranky when I'm too hot for too long.

Heather - Glad the results were negative, and hope you feel better soon! I'm going to have to look into my next booster as well, now that the FDA has approved them here. Jessamy is such a lovely woman - and all three of your grands have such great combinations of her features and Jack's. Handsome family.

I've gained four and a half pounds in the last four days, and I've been tracking my food. I'm not eating nearly enough to account for the gain, and I've been moving, not being sedentary. I'm well aware that a large chunk of it is water weight, but I don't care how far we get past our "dieting" days, it's disconcerting.

It has me seriously contemplating a two- to three-day bone fast at the beginning of next week. Corey was totally fascinated by the complete reset my system went through from the clear liquid fast prior to the colonoscopy. While he usually doesn't weigh in on my food choices, he has urged me to try a two- to three-day liquid fast (without, of course the complete laxative purge after!) to see if it would help me reset my system once more. I still haven't decided whether I'm doing it, but am going to go ahead and get a chicken in today to roast and then re-cook for bone broth, with the thought of attempting a bone broth fast. Has anyone tried this kind of fasting (or any voluntary 24- to 48-hour fasting), and if so, any advice or suggestions?

Hope it is or has been a lovely day for all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I have done a couple of 48 hour fasts. 🙃😁. I ate a good dinner at 6 pm and then fasted the whole next day. It helps to line up some projects so food isn't even "in the wheelhouse". If Cory isn't fasting just let him fix his own meals that day. It is hard to play chef when you want to eat. Water and or black coffee or plain tea. Eat nothing that will prompt your body into thinking food is coming. Even herbal teas can start the process. Usually that first night (at 26 or so hrs mark) I get super cold. Its just that all my energy is going to organs to keep them happy, so hands and feet you're on your own. I take baths or showers. Remember it is not just fasting that you're doing, but you're giving your body a rest, its cleaning house, and its a great reset. If you need to call me, tag me on Facebook and we can giggle at each other on Messenger.🤗. My face is my profile pic.🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can post this so putting in spoiler. It for my son’s medical bills.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Rita - It says they can't find the site. ????

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka-I can relate on the heat issue. I seem to be warm all the time now and have random overly-hot periods of a few minutes. Not like hot flashes. Those came from inside and radiated out. This is just an overwhelming heat all over, mostly on my head. However, the mister is always cold (I think a side effect of some medication he's taking), so we have a battle with the thermostat. He keeps it at or over 78F/25.5C. I want it well below that in the daytime and I'd love it around your temp at night. He likes to sleep in a sauna (always has). When he's at work, I crank the A/C down and I'm comfortable. At night, I toss and turn and sweat. Then he complains that I have health risks for not getting enough sleep. Well, he can just wear a sweater and get another blanket! It's so frustrating.

Have a good day!
    Tina in CA

The temp simply wouldn't be that high in my house!!

I'd either burst into flame or melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

My husband and I sleep in separate beds, but same room. One of the benefits of that is he can sleep under a large warm down duvet ... and I can sleep under a sheet and light blanket.

I have a friend who lives in Honduras. She seems to like it.

M in Oz

I have mentioned the separate beds idea and he won't go for it. So, when I get too hot, I go into the guest room and sleep with the fan blasting. This will happen more and more often for the next few weeks because it's just stinking hot here and we no longer have house guests. I generally sleep much better when I'm alone in a bed.

I frequently feel like I'm bursting into flames. I know it's the house temp because I'm generally just fine when we are elsewhere.

Tina in CA

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Barbie-Hope Jake is on the mend!

Heather-Hope you feel better soon too! Glad it's not COVID.

I am considering the latest vaccine because I have to work at a conference soon. Thousands of people and lots of talking.

Tina in CA