WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Kim-the Medicare system is a huge maze of bureaucracy, there are rules that make almost no sense. I have only had to sign up for hospitalization since I am still working full time and am not drawing any of my social security. Medicaid can be even more mysterious.

Tina-welcome back! It doesn't take long to get behind and feel overwhelmed here!

Michelle-I agree with you-at least we are walking. It's makes a huge difference for me.

Heather-I have considered getting a bike to roam the neighborhood but since I have not been a regular bike rider since college, not sure I want to trust my balance, etc. at this stage. A good friend who was a pretty regular biker (long trips, etc.) fell and suffered serious breaks-gave me pause. I think some things it makes a difference if they have been part of your regular routine. I do enjoy the stationary bike for the movement.

Have what looks to be a decent stretch of early fall-temps in low 70s during the day and 40s-50s over night. Will no doubt have a few more warmer days. Just went outside to see if I could spot the green comet-unfortunately too much cloud cover right now. Will give another try in a bit, closer to sunrise.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Machka: I can't believe all that you do and still post on this blog!
    Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I often post while I'm riding the bus. :)

And I type 65-70 wpm when I'm at my laptop. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-State pulls things from data bases through BIC Cognos and they also use some Tableau Analytics. They are both so touchy. Cognos wouldn't be bad but major program area won't let us perform clean drill through. They have preset items in a query form-may be something they look of but not really useful for ground level users. Neither program brings payments in in a meaningful way.

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

Yeah, I use a finance program for some of my data which is like that ... preset. It's frustrating.

I much prefer going straight to the database.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am a bit envious of those who are cool/cold. I used to be that way, then perimenopause hit and I have been hot ever since. Even though my last period was 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm generally warm but now and then I get super hot.

I think I wore long sleeve tops maybe a dozen times this winter and otherwise I have been in short sleeves. I haven't worn a winter jacket at all. I'm mostly in capris or skirts so the cooler temperatures outside will touch my legs. I don't take trips up north in the state without a desk fan and of course I have one at home and one at work. I have the indoor temperature at home no higher than 18C.

I worry about going to people's places or to restaurants because they will likely be too hot. If they have the temperature set at 20C, it will be too hot.

It's stressful!

And when I get hot, everything prickles like pins and needles or as if I were wearing scratchy wool. And I feel nauseated. Not nice!

I enjoy any moment, however brief, where I actually feel a little bit cool.

M in Oz

(I typed the above post while on the bus ... and then I fell asleep. I have a long bus ride home!)

I'm planning to go through our dressing room sometime this summer and either give away or pack away my knit sweaters (pullovers). I haven't worn any of them in years!

My husband tells me I haven't experienced a cold winter here recently, and I should keep them. But he remembers the distant past much better than the recent past. I haven't felt cold in winter in a long time and I've felt uncomfortable in scratchy clothes since my measles in 2016. That winter, we had snow down to sea level ... it was cold and snowy, and I still didn't wear my knit sweaters. I've got a couple shelves full of them, and they just sit there.

I'm also thinking that there are a number of other things I wore in my 30s I could probably get rid of now too.

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday,
    DH still sleeping. I turned off alarms. Really wanted to sleep in, but.......
    Apparently I read yesterday but that is as far as I got. DH was in a rotten mood Sunday night and yesterday morning. Not sure what crawled up his you know what, but was fine once out and about. We did some shopping. Mostly local hand crafted stuffs. Also rode the Ferris wheel. It has 42 air conditioned cars. Really tall with a bird's eye view of Pigeon Forge. Didn't walk as far so calling it a rest day. ;) Calling for rain today. We are picking up a couple of large items in the truck this morning. Then we will see what the day brings.

Betsy HUGS.
    Tina Hugs! Welcome back.

I am usually cold. I am not a fan of ac, but love a good fan. Hands are more cold than warm. I have to wear mittens as gloves make them even colder and then they hurt worse. Funny as I don't mind cold feet. I still prefer barefoot but will cover with a blanket when seated.

Make it a great day!
    Healing thoughts for those needing them.
    Much love and gratitude for all of you!

Kylia
    Still haven't seen a bear.....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Machka - I don't have any big sweaters. At home, it's warm, and outside, I'm wearing a padded down coat. I can't wear wool at all, even with something underneath. If it's really cold, I wear a thermal long sleeve vest, and a thin acrylic sweater, perhaps a long acrylic cardigan on top. Thicker socks.
    I suggest keeping a couple, just in case. You certainly don't need more than that. I have a minimal wardrobe.

Good morning's writing today. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Barbara - Love you back, dear heart. There are times I feel as if I'm living in a fairy tale, and that I have to stay asleep so I don't wake up back in my old life. Grateful is such a pale word for how I feel about the very existence of these people in my world. I don't know--maybe that's why it's all worked so well, because I tell them how I feel about them.

Kim - I agree-it's always interested me what a horrible reputation step-parents have, and the sort of "not real" sense that our culture foists on adopted parents, when in my experience, bio-relationship dramatics can be just as bad, if not much worse. It's some kind of entitlement, like, "I can be as awful as I want to, because you're related to me by blood and can't do anything about it."

Thanks, too, for the heads-up vent on Medicare, and I'm so sorry you're having that experience! I have a year and a half to go before I have to deal with it, and I'm already receiving social security payments, so there's that, but it sounds if putting a bit of cash away ahead of time may well be a very good idea. Anything referred to as "easy pay" is almost never easy, it seems.

VA "easy pay" experience:
    For instance, the Pay.Gov platform that accepts VA prescription co-payments is completely detached from the VA's healthcare system, so it can't tell you exactly how much you're supposed to pay, you must know how much you owe. And there is no way to find that out unless you have the paper bill in your hand. I made the mistake of sending a paper check once, and it took four months for them to process it, and in the meantime, I started getting monthly nasty-grams about overdue bills.

On sweaters: I have a half dozen long sweaters of all weights that I can throw over what I'm wearing. All are from my working days, so they're at least three years old. When working in an office in the South, it is often kept over-cooled in the summer, and when working from home during the winter, I keep the heat down to save on gas, run an electric heater near my feet if necessary, and throw on a sweater.

Anyway - echo-cardiogram this morning, so I have to leave the house no later than 9 a.m., so that means I need to be in the shower by 8 a.m., which means I need to get on the rowing machine, if I'm going to, by no later than 7 a.m. (an hour from now) so I can cool down before I get in the shower. I hate having appointments, they make me think too much! But this will be my last medical appointment until October 9, which makes me happy.

After my test, I have to go to Sam's Club for a scheduled grocery pickup. I try to never use the gas to drive a half hour into town for only one reason if there are other errands I can accomplish at the same time. Hopefully, I'll be back home by noon.

Hope it's a good day for every one...

Love y'all,
    Lisa,
    Enjoying my rainy (woo-hoo!) morning in the Arkansas River Valley
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Waiting for Dan at the garage so he can drop off the car he has a light on.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    [quote="
    It was a nice weekend, just went by to fast. Going to chirocpractor after work as my right hip is hurting a lot.Going back to the one I went to last year, before his wife passed away. The other one scares me sometimes.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where we are having cooler temps this week. <3 [/quote]

Vicki, How did the chiropractor scare you?

Betsy in NW WA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Kim - is there a Social Security office near you? Maybe if you can just go and talk to someone in person, that would help. Or find a number for the local SS office and talk to someone there. I think they hire a lot of new people at the big call center who just flip through pages to give out answers and aren't that helpful. Good luck to you. This is certainly stress you don't need!

When my DH passed, the funeral home said to contact Social Security and gave me the 1-800 number. I can't recall the specifics but it was frustrating and I listened to their jabber and it was a waste of time. So I dug out the SS paperwork we got when we first signed up and it gave the address and phone number of the local office. The gal I talked to there was terrific, former Marine like DH so we clicked. She took care of the SS and Medicare stuff. I was ready to drive to the office and glad I didn't have to.

Tina - you popped into my head yesterday, I was wondering how you were. Glad to see you are home. :)

Lisa - you certainly struck gold with Corey. <3 Good job on the elliptical.

Pip - love your new bike. Bet it will be fun breaking it in. :)

Michele - yes, at least you are walking even if you are a bit slower these days. That's the way I feel. Some days I can go at a good clip, other days it's slower and I take time to appreciate my surroundings. The gal I sometimes walk with is barely 5' tall, so she hustles to keep up with me. And she knew that was part of the deal when she wanted to walk with me, because she knows I really enjoy walking by myself.

Heather - does someone have a bike you could borrow to try it out? I'm too scared of traffic to bike on the busy main road and I rarely see folks biking it let alone walking on it during work hours. Too many big county dump trucks and such. Plus a pretty steep hill. Got one when we moved here and eventually gave it away.

Rebecca - thank you for sharing your lasagna recipe. Any Athena & Eli updates? ;)

Rosemarie - glad to see you are getting some energy back. <3

I have hot feet and painfully cold hands, especially my right hand, and I'm right handed. I wonder if arthritis causes this :p So I look forward to washing dishes by hand. Kylia - I agree about mittens vs gloves, and when I walk during cold weather I actually make teensy rice socks to heat up and put in my pockets to keep my hands warmer.

Cleaner is coming today, I have a few more things to pick up and put away before she gets here. Want to get a quick walk in before she arrives.

Make it a super day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ That is just awful what you are going through with Medicare. Sounds like you were talking to a real grouch. It would make me furious. I had to call SS last week to change my bank account number and it took 2 hrs mostly spent on hold.

Heather ~ I love reading about all the dishes you cook. I have to Google to see what they are as my cooking is just plain as can be. I also admire all the walking you and Johnny do to help with the children. Sorry your date night was disappointing.

Betsy ~ Hope the chiropractor can help your hip pain.

Lanette ~ My husband loves his heated rice socks in the winter.

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I don't have any big sweaters. At home, it's warm, and outside, I'm wearing a padded down coat. I can't wear wool at all, even with something underneath. If it's really cold, I wear a thermal long sleeve vest, and a thin acrylic sweater, perhaps a long acrylic cardigan on top. Thicker socks.
    I suggest keeping a couple, just in case. You certainly don't need more than that. I have a minimal wardrobe.

Good morning's writing today. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

I brought a lot of them over from Canada where I used to live in thick sweaters.

But most of the really heavy ones and wool ones are in a give-away bag somewhere or maybe I've successfully taken them to an OP shop.

Now, looking at the lighter ones, I realise I haven't touched them in years.

I can't have a minimal wardrobe ... and don't really want one. :) I like clothes!

But also ... because I'm so warm all the time, I dress in layers ... a sleeveless top I can strip down to if necessary. But then usually a business top so that I look somewhat professional at work. And I do need a light jacket of some sort for when I go outside. 3 tops a day during work days. In the winter sometimes I'll add a very thin long-sleeved layer I can shed if I need to.

At home, I usually have 2 or 3 tops going at once for inside, outside, etc. We keep our house quite cool ... under 18C (64F). On weekends in the winter, when I get up it'll often be about 15C (59F) in here.

Then I've got more tops and other clothing going if I'm gardening, and different ones if I'm cycling, and different ones if I'm running. :)

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) It is important for me to remember that the age range on this thread is about 50-85, meaning that some of us are as old as the mothers of some of the others and that some of you are still employed full time, while others have much more open schedules.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I'm at the young end of the scale. :)

Career woman: Employed almost full-time (9-day fortnight) and still building my career.

Student: Currently taking a university course to help further my career.

Carer to my husband.

Mum to our cat.

Grandmother to our granddaughter.

President, national rep, communications officer and ride organiser for the local branch of our long-distance cycling club.

Member and active participant in the local brain injury association and beekeeping club.

Cyclist, walker, hiker, runner, rower, weightlifter, gardener. :)

And when I get some time I enjoy photography, reading, colouring, and music. :)

Jam-packed schedule!!

Machka in Oz

On Time ...

There are 168 hours in a week.

Let's say we sleep 8 hours a night (give or take, heh!) = 56 hours.

168 - 56 = 112 hours

I commute 1.5 hours a day * 5 days = 7.5 hours.

112 - 10.5 = 104.5 hours

I work 8.5 hours a day * 5 days = 40 hours. (I get a 1-hour lunch in there during which time I run errands and/or walk)

104.5 - 42.5 hours = 62 hours

I get ready for work and wind down after work, including walking Rhody and dinner for about 2 hours a day * 5 days = 10 hours.

62 - 10 = 52 hours

Those are the things I have to do, which leaves me about 52 hours a week to do the rest.

Per week ...
    Learning - 1-2 hours
    Transporting husband, attending medical appointments and other carer-related things - 2-4 hours
    Bees - 1-2 hours
    Cycling - 1-4 hours (sometimes more)
    Other exercise - 1-2 hours
    Cycling club - 1-2 hours
    Brain injury association - 1-2 hours
    Gardening - 3-4 hours
    Housework - 1-4 hours
    Paying bills and dealing with stuff - 1 - 4 hours
    Reading - 1-2 hours
    Colouring - 1-4 hours
    Relaxing before bed - 6-ish hours

That leaves me about 10 hours!! Maybe that's when I'm here. :) I think sometimes I use that for sleep. Or for when my bus takes an extra hour during the commute. Or when unexpected things come up. And sometimes social stuff like visiting our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter, especially when we spend 3 hours at their hockey games. :)

Now ... I need to have a look over a couple insurance policies before bed. If that doesn't put me to sleep ...

Machka in Oz

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    <3

Katla in Illinois
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Tracey--Very nice pictures. Glad you had some time to relax and enjoy the time together.Pip--Greast job!!
    Heather--Your dear grandchildren, what great memories for all of you.
    My DH puts honey most everything he cooks. We usually buy local when we can.
    Rita--That scale looks like it would be just the right size for travel. Where did you order it from? So sorry to hear about your son. Sending prayers and hugs for both of you, being so far away is not easy. Have him check at the hospital as there are grants to help pay the bills for those without insurance.
    Carol--A proud grandma moment for sure. Glad you got all your money back.
    Betsy--So sorry for your loss, sending hugs.
    It was a nice weekend, just went by to fast. Going to chirocpractor after work as my right hip is hurting a lot.Going back to the one I went to last year, before his wife passed away. The other one scares me sometimes.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where we are having cooler temps this week. <3

I got it from Amazon. It was only $9.99!
    It’s on sale!
    yfuz4ro153zo.png
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate the very much needed rain and cooler weather.
    Meditation: daily. 7/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 10/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 188/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 34/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low.
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly.
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-State pulls things from data bases through BIC Cognos and they also use some Tableau Analytics. They are both so touchy. Cognos wouldn't be bad but major program area won't let us perform clean drill through. They have preset items in a query form-may be something they look of but not really useful for ground level users. Neither program brings payments in in a meaningful way.

Rita-hope son continues to heal. Pneumonia can also be very tough. I applaud your AF time. I think I least had a drink 40 some years ago. Don't miss it.

Rosemarie-I think boredom is a good sign, Don't push yourself-it can take awhile for energy to return fully.

Rebecca-your recipe sounds basic and good. I think sometimes people can go too far over the top with basic dishes. And what is important-you cooked it and you like it!

Nothing new in my world. Went to Credit Union and got myself off my son's account. Changed around an account to a higher yield money market I didn't know about. Came home, checked some records for work, got trash out. Going to go watch a bit of the football game-won't make it through all the way.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I have never made the lasagna with the white creamy layer, ricotta? Lee is not fond of that so its omitted. I prefer without it too. Now I have made lasagna using thin slices of zucchini, with olives, onions and mushrooms but its mostly a goulash by the time I am done putting it together. I just use a couple lasagna noodles layered in the smaller Pyrex pan I like. So my layers fan out. Speaking of which I do have much of the ingredients, with leftover noodles in the fridge. Goulash here I come!😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa