Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Questions for those of you who use Kindle.

I have the Kindle App (I think).
    And I think I've used it to read one free book.

The app I'm using has this icon below. Is that the Kindle app?
    Are there free books?
    Do I have to buy books?
    Can I "take books out" like a library or from a library?

rhvgufnny10b.png

Thanks!!

I have always preferred to read books on paper. But occasionally it might be more convenient not to carry a paper book.

Machka in Oz

I use the Kindle app and I have a Kindle. I’m reading different books on all, (phone, iPad, Laptop, and Kindle!) LOL. There are some free books on it. To answer the first questions. You can buy books through Amazon, and Kindle itself. Since Kindle is owned by Amazon, if you have Amazon prime, you can join the First Reads program and choose a free Kindle book once a month. Through Amazon there is another program that lets you ‘borrow’ books like at a library. I personally buy them and get the monthly free one. They are kept on the ‘Kindle cloud’ and you can sync between all your devices, or do like me and read different books on different devices. I hope that helps. I don’t know if it will apply to Oz as well.

Rita, in NM
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Questions for those of you who use Kindle.

I have the Kindle App (I think).
    And I think I've used it to read one free book.

The app I'm using has this icon below. Is that the Kindle app?
    Are there free books?
    Do I have to buy books?
    Can I "take books out" like a library or from a library?

rhvgufnny10b.png

Thanks!!

I have always preferred to read books on paper. But occasionally it might be more convenient not to carry a paper book.

Machka in Oz

My library uses the Kindle app. My fire tablet uses it too. I just look for free books. I never pay. I go thru looking at my library bookmark, so first it takes me to the library, then Amazon where it says pick up book, then it downloads it in the kindle app. I then see the book listed in my area of checked out books on my library one. I love it because it gives me 21 days of reading with each item. I will get an email when a book is ready to expire. Sometimes I can check it out again, and sometimes I have to put the book on hold. Its a great thing.👍🏼💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Machka, My library uses an app called "Libby" for borrowing and downloading e books and audio books from my library. The e books can be read on the kindle app on my phone. I usually am reading an eBook on my Kindle app, a paper book in the bathroom and at bedtime, and an audio book or podcast while I walk or do chores. The fact that I can keep the plots separate in my brain is evidence that my thinking is still sharp.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Thanks! Thanks for all the advice. :)

My library does have Libby. I went to the library today and got set up, so I'll see what I can do. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) It is important for me to remember that the age range on this thread is about 50-85, meaning that some of us are as old as the mothers of some of the others and that some of you are still employed full time, while others have much more open schedules.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I'm at the young end of the scale. :)

Career woman: Employed almost full-time (9-day fortnight) and still building my career.

Student: Currently taking a university course to help further my career.

Carer to my husband.

Mum to our cat.

Grandmother to our granddaughter.

President, national rep, communications officer and ride organiser for the local branch of our long-distance cycling club.

Member and active participant in the local brain injury association and beekeeping club.

Cyclist, walker, hiker, runner, rower, weightlifter, gardener. :)

And when I get some time I enjoy photography, reading, colouring, and music. :)

Jam-packed schedule!!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Came home from checking out a road bike for me. One will be on the road, the other will be on the bike trainer. I got me a new to me road bike! Selling for $425, I offered $375, will pick it up tomorrow!
    5shmiea8abtw.jpeg
    lhnxkgbs7x8u.jpeg

Nice!!

I had a Cannondale for a while long ago. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Nothing new in my world from this morning. Did some work on spreadsheets (I hate the data program the state has for extracting records). But-I have a ballpark of numbers I wanted.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

What's the program?

• Machka9
    Options
    Walking speed ...

When I'm on my own and am determined, I can motor at 6 km/h. At about 6.2 km/h, I'm into a slow run.

But I walk comfortably somewhere a little over 5 km/h. That's a natural speed for me.

Since my husband's accident, his walking speed has slowed to about 2 km/h.

I really try to walk that slow because I don't want to leave him behind ... but it isn't natural for me, and actually hurts my hips.

So I find myself stopping and waiting a lot.

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Terri, thanks for the clear directions. You must know me because you left me no way to go astray.

Lanette, my friends who died in the Morocco earthquake were exchange students and we kept in touch. I think I just sent you a message...

I'm going to the pool at the Y this morning. Will feel good to have pool time after my first dog walk with Ella.

Betsy in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Tracey - What fun you must have had with Kaitlyn! :D Was it a kit, or did you cut them?

AF day today. Hooray!

Listened to another Tim Spector podcast this morning while exercising. It's the latest on a podcast I follow, called 'The Imperfects'. Australian, three guys. I really like it. I have been eating Tim Spectorwise for several months now. Haven't lost weight, but I definitely like his way of eating and it has given me more energy. I feel well, generally.
    Tonight we had a broccoli, mixed veggies, and feta frittata. There is always leftovers for lunch the next day.
    Definitely recommend a listen to the podcast. I use Spotify for free.

I wear socks year round and in bed. I have been known to take them off in a blistering heatwave. :o DH has cold feet and very cold hands in the winter. My hands are fine. My father had cold feet.

Got to think what to have for dinner tomorrow as we are picking up Bea and going back to her house. She said she was hoping to move back into her bedroom last night. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Tracey--Very nice pictures. Glad you had some time to relax and enjoy the time together.Pip--Greast job!!
    Heather--Your dear grandchildren, what great memories for all of you.
    My DH puts honey most everything he cooks. We usually buy local when we can.
    Rita--That scale looks like it would be just the right size for travel. Where did you order it from? So sorry to hear about your son. Sending prayers and hugs for both of you, being so far away is not easy. Have him check at the hospital as there are grants to help pay the bills for those without insurance.
    Carol--A proud grandma moment for sure. Glad you got all your money back.
    Betsy--So sorry for your loss, sending hugs.
    It was a nice weekend, just went by to fast. Going to chirocpractor after work as my right hip is hurting a lot.Going back to the one I went to last year, before his wife passed away. The other one scares me sometimes.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where we are having cooler temps this week. <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in (Accountability)for September 10, 2023

Rita in NM - I usually weigh in and record on Monday, but will switch to Sunday. I have lost 1/2 pound this past week. I have been walking every morning the last week, which explains why only 1/2 pound but feeling better for the walking. Journaling, and meditating every day so far this month as well. AND 30 days without alcohol!!

Debbie in CA – up half a pound :(

Lanette SW WA State
    – down a fraction, things staying the same – weight just fine per the smartbmicalculator.com "optimal health" but I still would like to have some clothing as loose as it was a year ago. :( Grateful I have some things that fit well. And overall, grateful I have stopped the gaining. That’s a victory in itself. :)

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    I decided to have another go at painting my dining room and this time tried a Matisse style. I like it, but I think many will prefer the other. :)
    j1yoxh8s2afn.jpg
    Very much enjoyed myself anyway.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

You are very talented, love it!