WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,540 Member
    Options
    Built the lasagna pan. Garfield would be proud! Its so heavy I could use it as a doorstop! I have to put it on the pizza pan because the pan leaks a bit out of the corners. Its really old. I have to slather it with Crisco because otherwise bits of lasagna fuse with the pan! Having cheese bread with it! My only meal of the day. Eating some fridge pickles with mine.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    Options
    Ladies, a reminder for those of you who want to have info listed on the "Weekly Check-in" (formerly Accountability) please get it to me tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks and have a great evening. And a wonderful week ahead. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Kylia- sounds like your having a blast.. good for you.
    I was down in the Blue Ridge when my aunt and uncle were alive..
    bu93inut6qov.jpg
    Miles playing with his cars today .
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,431 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Rita, prayers... it's so hard when it's our kids.
    Lanette, I am a total idiot on the computer,... how do I friend you on the myfitbit app?

Gals, I'm feeling heartheavy. Just heard two friends from college died in the Morocco earthquake.
    So much destruction, I am overwhelmed.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy - So sorry to hear about your friends - I just read a report - over 1000 killed. Were they there on holiday?

I'm not sure how a person can friend someone on a fitbit app - I am on a laptop and don't have a Fitbit app on my phone. Let's see if Machka- or anyone might be familiar with this.

I'll see if I can figure out how to send you a friend invite.

UPDATE - Betsy, I was able to send you a message on MFP so maybe we don't have to go through the friends part first if you are trying to message me? They keep making changes in the software. So check your MFP mail if you can find it on your device and see if you got my message.

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Lanette-Haven't talked to a doctor about spacers. Was researching whatever may give some relief to the stupid foot and saw them discussed/recommended on a couple of therapy sites and figured I had nothing to loose. They really do seem to help feet relax. The arthritis I have on top of left foot is pretty hateful. Steriods I took helped for a couple of days but don't think it will last.

Kylia-thanks for the update on Julie. I often think of her-hope her progress towards her Ph.D. has continued.

Rita-so sorry to hear about your son. Not being able to get to them is horrible. Prayers.

Pip-can't remember if I congratulated you on MS run or not! Congrats! I think it is good that they have virtual options for some events.

Heather-good job to Edie! The girls both seem to be athletically inclined. Perhaps you need to get the thigh checked to make sure there isn't a nasty tear or something?

Carol-your grandson is a nice looking young man (I also think he looks older than 13). Getting the winning run is always sweet!.

Nothing new in my world from this morning. Did some work on spreadsheets (I hate the data program the state has for extracting records). But-I have a ballpark of numbers I wanted. Going down to get comforter out of dryer and hit the rack. I'm one of those that Barbie has to remember still works-but for me it is by choice. I feel bad for those in their late 60s and older who really need to work because the retirement dollars just aren't sufficient.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Thanks! Now I have to start training for the upcoming 1/2 marathon. Ughhh, I’m getting to old for this
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Think Trudy has a trip planned to Morocco in January. Yikes
    She is out in Oregon,or Washington State at her sons new restaurant opening.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,415 Member
    Options
    @teklawa1 These are the pages on my phone.

h8p9b04qqmkn.jpeg

uu0z5x681ujf.jpeg

2k47x88i2s8a.jpeg

vea8xhb3ydoc.jpeg

fw33douo4v01.jpeg]
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Rita, prayers... it's so hard when it's our kids.
    Lanette, I am a total idiot on the computer,... how do I friend you on the myfitbit app?

Gals, I'm feeling heartheavy. Just heard two friends from college died in the Morocco earthquake.
    So much destruction, I am overwhelmed.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy - So sorry to hear about your friends - I just read a report - over 1000 killed. Were they there on holiday?

I'm not sure how a person can friend someone on a fitbit app - I am on a laptop and don't have a Fitbit app on my phone. Let's see if Machka- or anyone might be familiar with this.

I'll see if I can figure out how to send you a friend invite.

UPDATE - Betsy, I was able to send you a message on MFP so maybe we don't have to go through the friends part first if you are trying to message me? They keep making changes in the software. So check your MFP mail if you can find it on your device and see if you got my message.

Lanette

Yes, use My Fitness Pal, not fitbit.

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Betsy-so sad you had friends lost in Morocco. From the reports seems the remoteness (which adds to its beauty) is compounding the problem.. I hope they can get meaningful help to the area.

Barbara-I hope the lifts don't cause shin splints-its one of the same exercises they give for stretching calves! I have very tight leg muscles it seems.

Rebecca-my DH used to make lasagna. I'm not so much on heavy pasta any more but yours sounds like I would have to have a bit of it!

Walkng speed-I have typically been a fast walker but am slowing down as I get older. I used to walk slower when I walked with DH (he had bad legs). At first that was frustrating but then I realized it was something good we did together to visit and catch up with the day.

Off to get ready for day. Need to be in office early today and tomorrow.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    cyntdooley wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Lanette- neither my BFF or myself is fond of the flavor of honey - so we didn't even consider the recipes calling for it.

Wait honey lovers ! I admit that the honey I don't like is grocery store honey and that I have never done a honey tasting of other varieties. I don't remember ever being somewhere where their was honey tasting, but of course as it is not something I lean to I might just have not noticed. But the special honey's are expensive here and I would not spend that money without tasting first.

LOL smiles
    Kim

Most farmers markets usually have local honey. Local honey for prevention of allergies is the best kind. There are usually light, dark and flower honeys. Honey has lots of medicinal remedies. Great for skin cuts or sores. Apply thin layer and cover. More on line info. :smiley:

Yes! Bees and their honey are amazing!

At the height of the season last summer, the whole hive smelled wonderfully of a caramelly stringy bark honey.

Honey - I buy local honey here from friends or acquaintances with their own hives. Yes, it's quite spendy but as Machka says, it crystalizes after a couple years so I know it's the pure stuff. I'm currently eating some that was put up in 2013. I had to set the jar in warm water for a few hours to dissolve the crystals - it's delicious. I've been paying $26 a quart here for the past couple years.
    Lanette B)
    SW WA State

The Heritage Honey choices are $12 for 500 grams. Just checked and 500 grams appears to be about 1/2 quart so our prices are about the same as yours.

Yes, I dissolve the crystals by setting the jar in a bowl of warm water.

auntiebk wrote: »
    Lanette local raw honey here is up to $18 a pint, and crystallizes if it lasts more than a couple of months, happens more often now that I’m not adding it to my tea ;)

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara

Different types of honey crystalise at different speeds.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Found a pair of brand new Ugg] boots, my size, for $10! These are the ones but mine are black . They sell for $220!
    https://www.ugg.com/women-boots-classic-boots/bailey-button-triplet-ii-boot/1016227.html

Aussie boots!

The boots look nice, but I think they'd be way too warm for me.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Annie - I live my life in bare feet. I only put shoes on if it’s a mandatory occurrence. I will wear my flip flops well into Winter. They usually get put away only when the snow is up to my toes.

It was great moving to Australia where a whole lot of people go about barefoot. :)

Cindy - does that cardboard thing work if I just put it around plants I want to keep? Should I do it in the Spring?

Tracey in Edmonton

It seems to work for us. Weeds do get through because weeds are tough little critters, but not as much. So we've done exactly that with one long garden bed I worked on this past autumn.

A couple years ago, I dug it all up and planted lots of flower seeds. Nothing came up. :neutral: So last year, I just ignored it and so many weeds came up. This past autumn I decided that flowers weren't going to work, so I dug it all up and pulled out as many weeds as I could by the roots. Then we planted native bushes which are still small but starting to grow. And my husband put down cardboard around them, then straw mulch over the cardboard.

So far, the bushes are starting to grow, but I don't see weeds!! That's great!!

My husband has started laying cardboard around the base of a hedge we want to fill in. It's starting to fill in, but so many weeds have grown underneath and we think they may be taking nutrients away from the hedge. Hopefully this cardboard will work.

Part of our lawn is at quite a slope, so my husband has planted pigface there so he doesn't have to mow it. He's got cardboard around some of the pigface.

We don't throw out cardboard ... we use it in the garden. :)

M in Oz