• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thinking of you and Jake!

Kim
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Thanking of you Barbie (((hugs)))), and hoping Jake's infection gets under control.💖👍🏼🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,179 Member
    Options
    Regarding bare feet ...

When I was in uni getting my Bachelor of Education, I took a "How to teach Physical Education" course with a British teacher who was emphatic that we and the children we taught should go about in bare feet as much as possible.

Her theory was that wearing shoes, and especially clumpy winter boots, all the time weakened our feet and led to feet, hips, back issues later in life.

Did my feet ever ache after the first few classes! The muscles in my feet, that is. But then they got stronger.

I will wear socks at home if it is particularly cold, but otherwise I walk around the house barefoot. Outside, I rarely walk on the grass barefoot. I've usually got at least sandals on. But I will walk on the sealed footpaths barefoot. At work in the summer many of us (me included) kick off our shoes and walk around barefoot. In the winter several of us walk around in socks. And of course, we're barefoot at the beach ... can hardly wait for that.

I have severe arthritis in my feet, but apparently using my feet, stretching them, walking around barefoot is good. One of those use it or lose it things.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :'( Jake is in the hospital. What he thought was a badly twisted or sprained knee turned out to be a big infection. His primary care doctor ordered blood tests and an ultrasound of the area and had him go to the emergency room late yesterday afternoon. I left him there to come home and take care of the dogs. I went to bed fully dressed expecting to get a call in the middle of the night to come get him, but he texted at midnight that they were keeping him. He had good doctors, a comfortable bed, and I'll be bringing him some clean undies and jammies and personal care products early in the morning so he can get cleaned up. There is no projection about when he'll be coming home. I just borrowed a walker from my neighbor who is a former line dance student from my class.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Sorry to hear that. Did he fall and cut himself?
  • Machka9
    edited September 2023
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka-I can relate on the heat issue. I seem to be warm all the time now and have random overly-hot periods of a few minutes. Not like hot flashes. Those came from inside and radiated out. This is just an overwhelming heat all over, mostly on my head. However, the mister is always cold (I think a side effect of some medication he's taking), so we have a battle with the thermostat. He keeps it at or over 78F/25.5C. I want it well below that in the daytime and I'd love it around your temp at night. He likes to sleep in a sauna (always has). When he's at work, I crank the A/C down and I'm comfortable. At night, I toss and turn and sweat. Then he complains that I have health risks for not getting enough sleep. Well, he can just wear a sweater and get another blanket! It's so frustrating.

Have a good day!
    Tina in CA

The temp simply wouldn't be that high in my house!!

I'd either burst into flame or melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

My husband and I sleep in separate beds, but same room. One of the benefits of that is he can sleep under a large warm down duvet ... and I can sleep under a sheet and light blanket.

I have a friend who lives in Honduras. She seems to like it.

M in Oz

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Barbie-how horrible about the infection. I assume it is all internal (or you would have noticed outside signs). Hope it heals thoroughly and they determine the cause. Take care of yourself.

Heather-hope it isn't Covid. Sore throats can come from many sources but I think you are smart to test when you have the generalized symptoms. Latest booster just got FDA approval here. I will try to schedule close to long weekend next month. I have learned with all vaccines to give myself rest/recovery time since I seem to have definite reactions to them.

Rebecca-Eli is gorgeous! An amazing amount of hair. Since I had 6 and 7 lb. babies he doesn't look tiny to me at all.

Need to get stuff together to leave town for a couple of days. I plan to stop by house and change into jeans for drive and evening, but want it all ready to go. YS and DIL coming to hotel to meet for dinner.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    os525fxy7ezf.png

r7nu4f0klgti.png

c3d3vve9zaew.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Machka - Have you investigated Vivobarefoot shoes? Dr Rangan Chatterjee recommends them and wears them. I have no personal experience.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Have you investigated Vivobarefoot shoes? Dr Rangan Chatterjee recommends them and wears them. I have no personal experience.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I've seen them, but $200 - $480 is a little out of my price range.
    https://vivobarefoot.com.au/collections/womens
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies xoxo
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I am copying this text from a Facebook text my cousin sent today...

This hit home for me When a flashlight grows dim or quits working, do you just throw it away? Of course not. You change the batteries. When a person messes up or finds themselves in a dark place, do you cast them aside? Of course not! You help them change their batteries. Some need AA...attention and affection; some need AAA...attention, affection and acceptance; some need C...compassion; some need D...direction. And if they still don't seem to shine...simply sit with them quietly and share your light.

I tried to post the original but was unable to do it.

Heather if it does not improve in a day or two might test again for COVID and or strep. Both are better caught early. Take care and rest if you can. I have a friend who never tested positive for COVID but 80% sure she had it. People in her building had the same symptoms, and they tested positive for it. When I went to her retirement party I stayed outside, didn't eat any of the food served at the party, and wished her congratulations from afar. She still sounded sick the day of her party.

(((Barbie)))
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Barbie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Jake.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    Hugs for you Barbie! Hoping Jake is better soon!

Heather you too! Hope you feel better!

Annie in Delaware