WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    Annie: I hope your Mom is okay and leaves the hospital soon.

Allie: Congrats on taking a walk!

PIPCD: You really did try with Amanda. Maybe you planted a seed for the future.

Carol: My husband never wanted to spend money either. I really struggled to know what we could afford and what we couldn't. He also didn't like to give things away.

Rebecca: I love the picture of the boys in their uniforms. Your early Thanksgiving dinner reminds me I want to put the Christmas tree up early. I am craving looking at the lights.

Michele: My relationship with my mother improved when I had my son. I guess we had more in common then and i really appreciated pictures she took of my son. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Bryan will at least send you a picture of the baby over the next couple of years. I agree that you should try and send a baby gift.

Sandy: Welcome, Congrats on having 5 grands, I do some gardening...just a little...and am part of a book group. I did explore pottery one summer. Right now I am learning to knit. Zoey is pretty and looks older than age 12.

Lisa: Great on getting some writing done1

Machka: So good of you to adopt a kitty with some anxiety. I am still a little nervous about touching the cats at the cat rescue. However one was very smart and managed to get out the first door 2x and I was able to pick him up and get him back inside. He is the first cat that has been so smart about getting out the door!

Chellie: Congrats on the weight loss and the roller skating!

Tracey: Beautiful arrangement. I went to an Eagles Concert years ago in Boston...it was outside and is a very nice memory.

Terri: I hope you enjoy creative writing. It is on my bucket list to take a creative writing course!

Ginny: Good luck cutting the material to hem the pants!

Heather: Every couple of years I have to go the doctors and have wax removed from my ears. I try and keep up on my own but sooner or later it requires a nurse to really put a syringe of water into my ears.
    My father had the same thing.

Well my trip to the beach got changed to November because my son and DIL want to go and I found a place that will allow 3 dogs. I find this amazing. It is a modest place but has good reviews. I will put sheets on the couches. So this next week end I am going to a Garden that is 2 hours a way. They are having a pumpkin fest and a sunflower garden. I am ready to leave town and am looking forward to this.

I am enjoying the cooler weather. I imagine it will get hot again but for now it is a welcome relief. I sit outside and just appreciate my yard. I am hopeful that as the weather cools, I will be more active and lose weight. I have a wedding to go to near Boston next September 2024. I have a year to lose some weight for the wedding!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

Hopefully, we’ll c
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    KJ I manage the FB page for Friends of Bottomless Lakes. I take most of the pics on there and sometimes a fellow member sends me pics to post. Here are some other pictures of the Pecos Sunflowers blooming right now.
    jdp25v8l1qhi.jpeg
    4sn6qef303eu.jpeg
    7rvkoul2e7pm.jpeg
    ec5wqsad0w5t.jpeg
    p0v2qg6sbfvj.jpeg
    b62bplbyg47y.jpeg

I remember our first trip down to Southern CA when I was in high school. Those sunflowers were blooming all over. Dad had mom stop a few times on the side of the freeway to get some so he could save the seeds. He wanted to grow them for the birds.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Add me to the group of ladies who don't work well with their husbands.
    Mine gets irritated pretty quickly.
    I did notice last week when we worked on adding an extra door to the catio(to make it easier to clean out the play house litter box-a door instead of leaning through the playhouse window to clean it), that he left almost all of the hard work for me to do, like cutting the chicken wire out of the catio and cutting more of the chicken wire to go on the door then used the staple gun to put the wire on the frame. He was cleaning or something(dusting off part of the catio- NOT happy when he did that- it was hot that day too.
    He doesn't explain things he wants very well and gets upset if I don't do what he wants
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    sspell1958 wrote: »
    New here and love seeing the support and friendship you all have developed. I hope I’m not intruding - just looking for same. 65 years old and needing to lose and get healthier. At least that’s the plan 😉. Breast cancer survivor since 2013 and recently Melanoma found early. That one surprised me, but all is good. I’m also married and “Nana” to 5 grandchildren.

Welcome-
    myself and another lady in this group both had melanoma removed last Dec.
    Thankfully yours and ours were all caught relatively early. Have it removed and start healing

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Worked, then walked around the neighborhool, I realized that I left the ice cubes I was going to bring home at BK so went back. Senior bowling, my neighbor did come and she’s going to be on our team “the gutter Gussies”. Went to see about the topsoil. Now Vince has to figure out how much we need. Worked some on the jigsaw puzzle, then had dinner, took another walk around the neighborhood, will probably work some on the jigsaw puzzle then go to bed.

Anne – I’m so sorry about your mother. You are a terrific daughter to care so much

I have pictures of old family members (Vince’s grandparents, my parents, etc) on one wall. On the other walls are things people have given to me or pictures someone made

Tracey – believe me, I’ve tried everything to repair the relationship with Bryan. But I’ve just accepted the fact that nothing will happen until he wants it to. I know that Denise would love if we moved to DE, but we have no desire whatsoever to move north. There is no way we could afford the kind of home we have. Oh, they maybe make them, but you’ll pay thru the nose for a home on 1-1/2 acres with an inground pool with hot tub and waterfall. So I guess in a sense it’s my own fault that I miss so much of PJ’s life. But I don’t want to live in the north. If it were my way and money were no object, I’d probably live 6 months in FL and the other 6 in NC. But that’s not going to happen

Denise has a hard time dealing with any change. And coming down here is a change. She’d have to plan things like taking time off from work, packing, etc. It’s just easier for her if we go up there. This past time for the Tues, Wed. and Thurs, it cost us $500. If they would come here, the only cost they’d incur would be the cost of the gas. But I don’t think that’s going to happen

Oh, I do hope Dollar Tree lower their prices back to $1. Their cards are still $1, but just about everything else is $1.25.

M – as much as Bryan says he isn’t interested in materialistic things, he has chosen to remain in contact with the most materialistic person in our family. Go figure! Vince has said that he feels like he’s walking on egg shells talking (writing) with Bryan. Oh, trust me, I’ve tried so much to keep in touch with him to absolutely no avail. So why keep getting hurt? I’ve been hurt deeply enough for years, I don’t need to inflict more on myself

Heather – my understanding from Bryan was that he married her so that he didn’t have to deal with the visa issue. A few months ago he told us that he’d divorced her. We did already know since he’d told Denise who told us, but we didn’t say anything. He married her in Spain, we went to Switzerland to see my high school friend. Thanks for remembering So sorry about Johnny. Hope he feels better fast

Sandy – lovely pictures. I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler

Speaking of milk – Vince just told me that he needs some for Wednesday. Unfortunately, I don’t think BK sells milk so looks like after work a quick run to WalMart is called for

I’ve always thought of signing up for a stained glass class, but I haven’t found one that isn’t cost prohibitive

Beth – sad to say, I don’t know where to send a baby gift to. I doubt Denise even knows their address. I do hope the surprise goes well for your mom

Kim – I understand what you are saying about Bryan and Denise. Let me explain something. At Denise’s wedding shower Pete’s mother made a comment of “when they buy a house near me”. Then she had them live with her “so that they can save up for a house”. My guess is that 4 adults, 2 dogs, a cat and then a baby was too much for the father so the mother helped them buy a townhome. Pete told me that she picked it out. Jess looked online and the townhome sold for $290. yet Pete told us that they paid $187. So my guess is that the mother put up the difference. Personally, I would have let them continue to live in the apartment they had in PA and if they needed help THEN provide it. But first let them try. But she didn’t

Katie – I think for me it is too painful to even try. Maybe some time in the future...we will see. I do hope I at least get pictures. That will most likely ease the pain

Vicki – since I don’t know how to get in touch with the mom of Bryan’s child, I did ask Denise to text her that I loved them all with all my heart and do hope to keep in touch with pictures. I guess we shall see where it goes. Yes, the last time I saw Bryan was at his wedding. Congrats on the new great gs

Rosemarie – have fun at the Garden

Debbie – happy anniversary

Lisa – next time you’ll do more with the fasting. Proud of you for trying.

Michele NC
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    :)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Tracey - I think your Cri-Cut work is very impressive and professional. It is really hard to monetise these things, as you know. :# Have you thought about giving some small classes in your home? Just an idea. It would require advertising locally of course, and asking around. Or, now you have a teaching qualification, you could see if a local college wants to run classes. Just musing...... :D<3

I've sent you the Instagram post I used for the tiny squares painting. It's something you could easily do with your granddaughter.
    I also think they would make great home decorating pictures, in a set of colours toning with the furnishings. Or seasonal colours theme. It was quick and fun to do.
    Of course, a lot depends on the framing of these things. A good frame can totally change a picture. Some bargain shops have decent cheap frames.

Strangely, I don't put many pictures on my walls. I like blank spaces, I have a couple of things in the dining room and in the downstairs toilet, and one in the hall. We have the batik in the living room. A Matisse cut out propped up in our bedroom, and a couple of my very old efforts in my bathroom. So we now have a huge pile of our paintings!!! Nothing framed or on the wall. One I gave away I painted for my son, which is going in his living room, and the beach hut one for my brother, which I will give him at the wedding. Only six months late! :p
    Keep thinking we should have an informal exhibition and sell some, if anyone wants to buy them. Going cheap!!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I have many blank spaces as well. Our bedroom is just the bed, dresser and chair. It gives me peace as does what my vision of a bedroom should do. I have clusters of pictures here and there, in the living room and library. I am not much for arranging them in a mathematical sense. Here's a couple clusters.🙃
    3licgvnfmuug.jpg
    fz37i3suu7ko.jpg
    Yes that is a green putting hole to practice our putting.😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

no blank spots on any wall around here- if there was, dh would fill it with something.

Ok, time to go to class- still have 4 more pages to read to catch up- 6 by the time I get I am guessing

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,546 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Annie: I hope your Mom is okay and leaves the hospital soon.

Allie: Congrats on taking a walk!

PIPCD: You really did try with Amanda. Maybe you planted a seed for the future.

Carol: My husband never wanted to spend money either. I really struggled to know what we could afford and what we couldn't. He also didn't like to give things away.

Rebecca: I love the picture of the boys in their uniforms. Your early Thanksgiving dinner reminds me I want to put the Christmas tree up early. I am craving looking at the lights.

Michele: My relationship with my mother improved when I had my son. I guess we had more in common then and i really appreciated pictures she took of my son. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Bryan will at least send you a picture of the baby over the next couple of years. I agree that you should try and send a baby gift.

Sandy: Welcome, Congrats on having 5 grands, I do some gardening...just a little...and am part of a book group. I did explore pottery one summer. Right now I am learning to knit. Zoey is pretty and looks older than age 12.

Lisa: Great on getting some writing done1

Machka: So good of you to adopt a kitty with some anxiety. I am still a little nervous about touching the cats at the cat rescue. However one was very smart and managed to get out the first door 2x and I was able to pick him up and get him back inside. He is the first cat that has been so smart about getting out the door!

Chellie: Congrats on the weight loss and the roller skating!

Tracey: Beautiful arrangement. I went to an Eagles Concert years ago in Boston...it was outside and is a very nice memory.

Terri: I hope you enjoy creative writing. It is on my bucket list to take a creative writing course!

Ginny: Good luck cutting the material to hem the pants!

Heather: Every couple of years I have to go the doctors and have wax removed from my ears. I try and keep up on my own but sooner or later it requires a nurse to really put a syringe of water into my ears.
    My father had the same thing.

Well my trip to the beach got changed to November because my son and DIL want to go and I found a place that will allow 3 dogs. I find this amazing. It is a modest place but has good reviews. I will put sheets on the couches. So this next week end I am going to a Garden that is 2 hours a way. They are having a pumpkin fest and a sunflower garden. I am ready to leave town and am looking forward to this.

I am enjoying the cooler weather. I imagine it will get hot again but for now it is a welcome relief. I sit outside and just appreciate my yard. I am hopeful that as the weather cools, I will be more active and lose weight. I have a wedding to go to near Boston next September 2024. I have a year to lose some weight for the wedding!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

I don't think we'll have a tree up this year. I put up my jewelry tree and its lit, so that is nice.
    yebxk2ca723j.jpeg
    My eldest and my youngest sailor sons won't be getting leave until after the holidays are over, so it will just be us at Christmas time. The weather is always so horrendous in Dec, especially past Seattle, so traveling down to middle sons isn't quite what we wish to do. But we're seeing them during Halloween which Athena is excited about!💖🎃🍁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,546 Member
    Options
    Didn't make it my 72-hour fast, in the end - 22 hours later, I caved to a cheeseburger. Well, half a cheeseburger, and a few fingerling sweet potatoes. No excuses, I was hungry. It's the first night in a long time without rapid-fire gas, though, so maybe the key is less full fasting and more intermittent fasting. It's a thought.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I find when I stop eating by 4/5 pm, by the time its bedtime at 9 pm I have processed a lot. That cuts down my gurgle times. There is a method to the madness of "refeeding" or restarting your digestion after a fast. The trick is to start with a small plate of appetite starting foods. For me its a slice of cheddar, some walnuts. I eat those while I fix what I want to break my fast with. If you eat a big meal before letting your body "kick start itself" you can experience some "dumping" to call it bluntly. When I didn't nibble first and just ate, 20 minutes later I was in the loo. So there's that.
    FASTING HOURS ARE HEALING HOURS
    EVERY TIME YOU EAT OR DRINK, YOU ARE EITHER FEEDING DISEASE OR FIGHTING IT.
    (Not telling there, just being poetic🙃😁)
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    Options

Debbie - glad you had a good weekend with your Mom. Did she ever get rid of the roommate?
    My DH and I have never done anything for our anniversary with our girls. In truth we don’t do a lot for each other either. This year he surprised me with flowers, and we go out for dinner if we can afford to. Mostly we don’t do a lot though.
    I understand your reluctance to have son with you, you want a relationship with your husband and he doesn’t ever give you the opportunity to have it.

It’s late and I’m going to head to bed. I’ll chat tomorrow.

Tracey in Edmonton

no, the room mate is still there. Again, I told mom that I will be up there a lot more when the room mate is gone. I told her when she was thanking me for being up there and about how it gets lonely there.
    Dh doesn't seem to even think about spending time with just me, other than going shopping. On vacations, he checks with his friend first to see if the dates/place work for him. Anniversary dinners he even thought about agreeing one year to having his mom take us out to dinner. Told him NO real quick.
    Last year, I think we went out to lunch or dinner another day- I went to zumba class on my 30th anniversary night.
    Dh thinks buying lots of things is the most important thing- like his mom. I would rather not do gifts but want some time-pay attention to ME for a change- I have told him this so much but nothing changes

Debbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Quick question- So, tomorrow is dh's and my 31st anniversary. He wanted to see if our son and his girlfriend wanted to go too. He does this every year. For a long time our son did go with us but now that he has a girlfriend he didn't the last two years but dh asked him to go with us.
    Here is my question- anniversary dinner- is it for just you and your spouse or do you invite the kids to go too?
    We are actually going for lunch and not dinner this year and son will be at work(my idea).
    Anniversaries don't mean a lot, like they should. I need to work on that.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA

We don't have kids at home.

This past anniversary was our 15th. We went to a Brain Injury Association celebration at Government House, then out for dinner at the nicest place in the city.

But most anniversaries, we'll usually have dinner out at a casual place somewhere at some point near our anniversary date. I think we have gone out with other people on occasion.

Over the years, we've been more inclined to do a longish bicycle ride together somewhere at some point near our anniversary date and call that our anniversary celebration.

M in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Ginny oh no, not again! :sick:
    Sandy like your paintings. “Didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted but I learned from it.” Sounds like a metaphor for life ;)
    Carol what you said about time and prayer healing. Amen, sister. ((hugs)) for what you and your sister went through, and for what you're going through with your DH.
    Lisa siding repair didn’t happen. Guy responded to my morning text asking for an eta with “this afternoon”, then didn’t respond to a gentle text at 3:30. Joe was afraid the guy would tear off the front of our house then disappear, so I texted him “Let’s forget it” He texted with “Sorry I have been out of service, I am here” at 4:30. Joe went out to talk to the guy who said he’d been working on a roof that took longer than expected because his helper didn’t show up. Joe said well, let’s just take the pressure off all of us and not do it. Joe’s confident his patchwork will last through the winter and found another contractor for us to call. Money will go back into savings, might need it for DDS or Joe’s new to him car. These things have a way of working out for the best [sigh]. Sorry the cures are being so hard on your system. “Paying attention is the key... but then, it always has been.” Truth this! Hope you enjoy the people and pottery.
    Lanette had to smile at the link to Alexandre family farms. They are exactly what I thought of when you mentioned the A2/A2. They are about 20 miles south of us in the Fort Dick area and their pastures are beautiful. They even have a few Highland cows, separate from their dairy herds. Their kids sell pasture raised eggs at their farm store.
    Kim and Kay thanks for sharing your perspective. ((hugs))
    Beth what a delightful surprise for your mother.
    Vicki will add my prayers, Hope that whatever happens between them, your grandson’s parents keep you in his life.
    Rosemarie safe travels. Well done on finding a place that will welcome the 3 “granddogs” ;) in November.
    Debbie ((hugs)) Hope you can find something to celebrate in your anniversary.
    Michele ((hugs)) Yes to setting boundaries and yes to what others have said about counseling and perspective. Last Sunday’s sermon talked about how repentance must be a precursor to forgiveness, but sometimes the repentance and forgiveness must be mutual to be healthy.
    Rebecca two hours video chatting with youngest? Whoopee!!
    Tracey yours to Debbie. Insightful.
    Tomorrow is casserole-a-thon in the morning an first chair yoga class in the afternoon. Time to snooze!

Today’s gratitude: Joe’s dermatologist wishes he had Joe’s skin. Was able to listen to Joe’s advice. Joe’s willingness to talk to contractors. Aspirin.
    09/18: Move: 2 sets PT w/D, line dance class. Steps:8956
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=32 CI<CO net=308
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, ptT. ptS, library, Post Office, Freddie’s, one load laundry. Wt: 133.2

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!
    2023: Be of good cheer.