WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Couldn’t exercise on Wednesday since we needed to be at Denise’s at 6 so that she could go to work. Surprise, surprise, surprise she actually made dinner and was serving for us too. Admitted, it was just the Knorr pasta & sides with some chicken breast. But at least she did SOMETHING. Maybe Vince saying something last time she just took the pizza upstairs and had it made an impression. Left early Thurs, but I was able to do some HIIT.
    Michele NC

Oooo ... that's a bit harsh.

That's more or less what we eat and is the sort of thing we would serve if you came to visit. :)

GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Michele - I hear how broken your heart is missing your children and your grands. Since we can only change ourselves, I wonder if some counseling for you looking into ways to approach the situations differently would help? I understand that you are often venting here and your approach to them is different than to us here, but I wonder how much has seeped through and the children understand that you are disappointed and hurt.
    Maybe I am resonating differently than I should because I see myself in your kids, I can never level up to what my mom wants me to be – and while she will tell you that she is a fair, loving mom – she can not see the hurt she has caused. I am also one of three, and in our own ways each has distance from Mom, and I know it hurts her. But I also know she will not even listen and accept that we are not who she wanted us to be. So I wonder if your children are feeling differently than you understand – and are doing distance because they don’t know how to approach you in a way that both you and they could repair the situation. Sorry!!! A lot of unrequested arm chair psychobabble - but just because I care and hate to see you hurt.

Love ya all,
    Kim in N. California
    exermom wrote: »
    Kim – I understand what you are saying about Bryan and Denise. Let me explain something. At Denise’s wedding shower Pete’s mother made a comment of “when they buy a house near me”. Then she had them live with her “so that they can save up for a house”. My guess is that 4 adults, 2 dogs, a cat and then a baby was too much for the father so the mother helped them buy a townhome. Pete told me that she picked it out. Jess looked online and the townhome sold for $290. yet Pete told us that they paid $187. So my guess is that the mother put up the difference. Personally, I would have let them continue to live in the apartment they had in PA and if they needed help THEN provide it. But first let them try. But she didn’t

Michele NC

Nothing wrong with that. Lots of parents help out their kids that way.

I wonder if your disapproval of Denise shows through when you visit her and wonder if that might make her reluctant to visit you or have you visit her. Just a thought.

We all do things differently from each other. We here in this group do things differently. We do things differently from other family members. We do things differently from our friends and work colleagues. And it's OK. In fact, it's a good thing ... the world would be pretty boring if we were all the same.

My parents and I do things differently. Even though I lived with them and near them for a good portion of my life, I've gone my own way with many things. It's what kids do. I've had to adapt when I've visited them, and they would have to do the same if they happened to visit me. That's life.

BTW - my husband's daughter doesn't want to have anything to do with us. She and her husband have 2 boys, our grandsons, but we've never met them.

However, we pass on the message that we love them every time we get together with my husband's son. It's all we can do for now. And fortunately, we do get to see our granddaughter relatively frequently. :) We usually go there on their schedule because we know how busy they are.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Blowing a gale here!
    The light grey part shows the gust. Yes, one gust hit 104 km/h at 4:40 pm. I went for a walk at lunch and almost had to empty a bottle of detangler into my hair when I got back.

kle5pjcyu8jg.png

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Almost midday, so taking a few minutes to weigh in with my good buddies.

Lisa: 👍🏻 pottery. Ceramics was one of my favourites at college. I still have some of the sculptural pieces I did.

Kylia: Loved all the holiday pics. It’s always all to short.

Michele: (((hugs))) It’s so difficult to to reconnect. I keep in touch with my brother, but it’s hard when I get very little back. At least the nephews keep in touch. As others have said, you have to do what is right for you.

Allie: keep moving. gentle exercise can’t do any harm.

Annie: Sorry to hear about Mom. I hope she is able to come home soon.

Beth: I hope that all your plans for the visit work out.

Barbie: continued good thoughts to you and Jake. Hope that everything is headed in the right direction.

Ginny: Rats to that Covid. I’m praying that it’s a mild dose.

I’m at home today. Hoping to block out my current crochet project. I finished all the pieces last week. Also planning to sort through winter wardrobe for donations before I swap for my summer stuff. It’s suddenly we’re autumnal here.

Gotta go as DH is just back from badminton, so going to have lunch.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I often hear Tim Spector on other people's podcasts, or just catch an odd video.

Today I woke up early and was worrying about some nonsense, so I watched a decluttering video, mum and daughter. This encouraged me to clean a whole lot of stuff out of my wardrobe, mainly trousers (pants) I kept a couple of slightly too small ones that i like, but if I don't lose weight I will get rid of them. I've got a small pile to take to the charity shop. :D
    I thought my wardrobe was pretty minimal already, but there is always more to cull.

Will probably get a taxi to the school as it blowing a gale and raining.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Woke up thinking it was Sunday and then when the son made his usual call around 7 AM realized it was Tuesday here! LOL :)

Carol in GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Beth--So happy for your mom and her friend. Sounds like it was a great surprise.
    Not a lot happening here. Working and Thursday I go get my mamogram done and see my GYN for my yearly pap. Will be glad to have that over.
    Next week is eye doctor one day and my regular 6 month check up with my regular doctor. Then should be done for awhile.
    Going to be hot again today and next several days. Glad to be inside.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate family, even when it’s hard to deal with them. They are still blood.
    Meditation: daily. 14/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 14/30
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 0/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 200/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 11/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 35
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still.
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    Options
    Blew a gale and rained so we got an Uber to school. Walked home, very blustery, but only showers. Difficult holding up the umbrella!
    Just as I was nearing the house my thigh gave up, so the last bit was a limp.
    My son was in. They have put up my painting in the family room. :D Lots of pictures up in the kitchen and they have done some cleaning. Not so dusty! :) Looks much more homely. The big skylight is uncovered now.(it was covered up for protection from the builders) Still masses to do, and painters and builders still working, but loads better.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Stunning Heather-Bravo
    Well slept a bit better last night..im going to do my pills and then take Alfie out for a walk and check the mail.
    Nothing new and exciting here... which i guess is a good thing