WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options

Lanette - Regarding how, how many, how fast, etc. with light weights, I would never advise that many repetitions. The thought of 30 to 40 reps with any weight disturbs me as I've never met a human being who can maintain safe weight manipulation consistently with that many repetitions. By 20, you're sliding around the edges and getting sloppy. That's why you take a break, reset your mind, then do another clean set.

You must always keep in mind that no matter what weight you're working with, you're also working joints, bursae, cartilage, etc., that are hinging those muscles. In older people, those joints may already be worn or arthritic. I would never use more than 15 repetitions, no matter what you're working with in terms of weight. I tend to work 12 reps. Once you can lift the weight 12 repetitions, then you add a second set and don't go past three sets. If you can easily do three sets, you can start increasing your weight.

Growing muscles is seldom a problem for women unless you're into bodybuilding, you're just trying to get your strength to where you want it, so working to fatigue is always the goal with strength building.

I would also suggest that you not do the same exact weightlifting every day. Give your muscles a day in between at least to repair. I would also change up the lifts you're doing from one session to the next to prevent wear and injury. So resistance bands on Tuesday and free weights on Thursday, and body-weight exercise on Saturday, like crunches, plies, squats, lunges, and so on. Cardio and walking should be on the days in between, and one full rest day a week.

All this is advice, not instruction. Someone else noted that the best exercise or eating program is the one that you'll stick to... and you know what my most-noted advice is - start small and add small increments. You're just trying to be a little better than the time before...

Good luck with whatever you try, dear heart!

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

Lisa - thank you so very, very much! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I thought the 30 to 40 reps sounded like way too much to do at one time. I wish the video would have been clearer on breaking it up as you said and as SWSY instructs. I knew I didn't want to risk injury.

When I was doing well several years ago before a frozen shoulder and surgery sidelined me, I was pretty devoted to three times a week and I was very happy with that and felt strong. Looking forward to being there again, however long it takes - that ZOE video said 8 to 12 weeks and as I recall, that's about right - I was reaching my max on the free weights and ankle weights.

And if it takes longer, so be it.

Thanks again - <3

Lanette

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    (((Rosemarie)))
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    I woke up super early this morning. 2 loads of laundry done, now waiting for the sky to lighten up so I can open the chicken coop door and feed the shop kitty. Walking with my neighbor at 8.

Rosemarie - I hope that grief counselor is helpful to you. Sometimes I am moved to tears due to frustration over getting tasks done around here or just not knowing what to do next. That feeling of helplessness. Somewhat in the dark over some of this mechanical/plumbing/electrical and frustrated by heavy lifting/moving stuff that DH once could do. I'm going to have to hire done or ask a friend or neighbor for help. I need to keep remembering - people are GLAD to help.

Betsy - you and I seem to be sharing the same brain. I too have big ticket $$ items coming up sooner or later and am constantly re-prioritizing the emergency fund. Roof and lawn mower are on mine too. Might be next year, might be several. But eventually and I'm hoping nothing too big crops up in the meantime. I also asked for my DH's advice yesterday, several times. Didn't get a clear answer so asked Rosie the Schnauzer what she thought, lol. Good luck with the tooth. Hoping your sis does well over the next few months.

Heather - good job with the phone. A nice feeling of accomplishment.

Barbie - I bet your Annie is keeping everyone busy. When you get a chance - I'm curious her background. Age? She has such a sweet face and that light cream color is appealing. Do you know if there's some lab in there?

Annie - sounds like a productive meeting for you yesterday regarding your mom. <3 So glad you were able to touch base with the social worker and sounds like your Aunt has good resources as well.

Smart Meter: I received a notice from the power company they are going to swap out the old old meters for much fancier ones - "smart" meters even though they are shying away from calling them that. Usage is measured through the power line, no more monthly meter reader.

Sounds like there are pro's and con's. They'll be able to immediately pinpoint if there's an outage to the exact location of a tree that has fallen on a powerline, for example. So the crews can start repair quickly. But some folks are afraid the power company's intent is to charge a higher rate for usage during "peak hours."

Do any of you have those types of meters and experience the higher rates at times? Things to be aware of?

Make it a good weekend, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,899 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate what a flyswatter can do.
    Meditation: daily. 20/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 20/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 68 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 18/33 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 44/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0
    500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time. This will have to wait as I am not feeling too good today. Fall cold.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you. I have been working on this, so this will be in progress for a while.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    Options
    I was really surprised the picture unfolded without ripping! It was in a box in the storage unit for over 7 years=extreme heat, cold, some humidity too. This was in 1974 when heart worm was just beginning to be a problem. Still after all these years in that area! My friend on the left, Sandy, lived on a farm and belonged to 4-H, I was there to help. Funny how seeing a picture brings back memories of your youth!

Fitness Trainer I used one when I joined a gym in CT. There was 3 free sessions then they pushed you to buy the plan. I didn’t want the plan, especially since the last free one, the trainer pushed me to over-use my arms to the point where I couldn’t do anything but type for a week! They hurt way more than just muscle fatigue.

weights/muscle building It seems I cannot use weights for arm exercises as it triggers my tendinitis. So I was wondering, do you ‘pros’ think that bands would be easier on tendinitis? I have been considering getting a set, but worry they will just sit by the side after a few uses due to pain.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Time to get your Nachos on! Today is national Nacho day. Enjoy!!
    n9dttpgzxdcf.png

RVRita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options