WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, Annie is supposedly lab and Dachshund.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,091 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Smart Meter: I received a notice from the power company they are going to swap out the old old meters for much fancier ones - "smart" meters even though they are shying away from calling them that. Usage is measured through the power line, no more monthly meter reader.

Sounds like there are pro's and con's. They'll be able to immediately pinpoint if there's an outage to the exact location of a tree that has fallen on a powerline, for example. So the crews can start repair quickly. But some folks are afraid the power company's intent is to charge a higher rate for usage during "peak hours."

Do any of you have those types of meters and experience the higher rates at times? Things to be aware of?

Make it a good weekend, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

We have one - ours was converted a few months ago. We can watch our usage online and the corresponding cost. So we can pick times to use more or less power.

My husband finds it fascinating.

And I think our power costs have dropped.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Question of the day: Have any of you ever used a personal trainer? If so, would you mind telling about your experience - are you still utilizing what you were taught?

Lanette B)

Yes and yes.

I also trained to be a fitness trainer ... took all the courses, and did some practical work in a couple gyms, but I was also taking my Bachelor of Education at the time, and couldn't fit the number of practical hours in to officially complete the fitness trainer course.

Machka in Oz

Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, my ex-husband and I were trained by a bodybuilder for a couple years. Evidently, I put on muscle quickly and he wanted me to do the bodybuilder shows, but I was way too shy.

This article explains what I learned from my trainer and from the fitness trainer class quite well.

The basic components of physical fitness, explained
    https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness/health-related-components-of-fitness

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lanette, Annie is supposedly lab and Dachshund.

Barbie
    - that sounds like a neat combo. I could see a little hound in her. How big will she get- do they know? The Dachshund might keep her on the smaller side. I see dogs with Dachshund in their lineage and it seems to be a nice mix. <3

Lanette
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,307 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    Machka - thanks for the Smart meter info. I'm getting excited, I'm like your husband and find this power usage tracking fascinating. ;)

Heather - I think I have the same items you have on your table that need to find a new home as well. :p Very nice bread box.

Lisa - what kind of snake left that beautiful skin? Do you have rattlers there?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,661 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    If you're not fond of snakes, don't look at the image in the spoiler. It's actually a snakeskin. Corey found it wrapped around a couple of the items on the top shelf in his shop, so it can only have been in there for a few weeks since he was in there last. It's about five feet long. I nearly jumped out of my OWN skin when he came walking around the truck holding that thing in his hand. Gleep!
    4ks7gda3ve0z.png

Does he know what kind of snake it is from?
    I found a 4ft skin when I was walking the wetlands during the summer. I picked it up and brought it home. Not sure what I will do with it but it is cool. Think I will put it in a glass case for now
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    L

Heather: I keep my cell phones for years! I was happy with a flip phone but my son thought I needed a smart phone. I do enjoy texting so am glad I have it! I love the bread box!

Today was beautiful weather in Middle GA. I went to WW which was a good meeting. We discussed all the various proteins. I am not going vegetarian but I am not going to purchase meat either. Tomorrow I will
    make vegetable soup and Monday have Tofu and Tuesday Tempura. I took a walk today outside and it was lovely. I plan to do another 2 miles by video now. I have some weights here in the family room and might lift them as well!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Geogria

I was like that with the phone- I was very happy with my flip phone and didn't think I would use all the features of a smart phone. Now, I use it all the time. Play games on it, text friends and go on Facebook..

Our weather was really nice today- walked MIL's dog this morning- wore tank top but didn't get too warm.
    Rain coming in late tonight and tomorrow.
  • Machka9
    Options
    (((Betsy))) I am sorry about your teeth issues!

Another adventure in my car today. I was driving to take in my old paint, batteries, light bulbs to the pop up hazardous waste site. They do this twice a year Oct. and April on Fridays and Saturdays. As I was driving I noticed a flower pot in the road. I missed that when I noticed it sounded like I was dragging something under my car. I was able to turn into a vacant church parking lot. Fortunately I carry an old sheet in my car to cover my seats if I have to transport something messy. I used the sheet so I could get down on the parking lot without getting dirty. So I look under the car and find an ice cream bucket wedged underneath about midway underneath the car. I had sticks in my trunk from son's house. He has an eighty year old Linden that constantly loses branches so I just put them in the trunk until I get enough to take to the compost site. I was able to turn it slightly with the stick but could not get it out. I was about to try to take it to a garage where they could hoist it up and easily get it off. Then I noticed the large pot hole at the entrance. I slowly drove over the pot hole and then backed up. There in the middle of the hole was the bucket with a hole in it from being dragged under my car. For the first time ever I was happy to see a pot hole! LOL Afterwards I tried a technique of tapping right above the heart on the thymus gland for about 30 seconds to calm myself from the frustration. It did help me recoup from the ordeal rather than go for the sweets.

Maybe it's time to start using public transportation!
  • Machka9
    Options
    She had wanted to give me her banking information to do a bank to bank transfer for the fee. She says that is quite common in England.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Geogria

That's how many payments are made in Australia too.