At what age should you fly the nest?

Options

Replies

• nataschalouise
    Options
    I left at 18 for uni, but I never went back :)

I can't even stand staying at home for more then a week now. Me and my mum do things differently, and it doesn't work. I have my own ways of living, cleaning, and I am now used to having privacy.
  • Tavysh
    Tavysh Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Stayed at home and commuted through college, graduated in May just before I turned 20 and bought a house in July. Did I have a job that was related to what I got my degree in? Nope, but I had a job that paid enough to cover my bills so I told myself it was time to go.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 18, when I left for college
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As soon as you are able to be financially independent. That doesn't mean working and going to college and earning minimum wage to me - that's a college graduate with a few months' work under their belt, with the ability to support themselves. Doesn't seem right to do your child a disservice by kicking them out of the house :-(
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I was 20, a couple months after I got my associates degree. It was the best thing I ever did, especially when I see that some of my friends (at 31) are still living with their parents. By 21 I had purchased a condo and started a business without any financial help from my parents.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    18. 19 tops. If you've done your job as a parent, either with college or working (which they should have been doing all through high school, with a portion of their check flagged for savings) and funding a place, your kid should be able to leave the house at that point, and barring crazy circumstances, not return. I'm one of 4. We all took different paths and we all managed. We all did it in this economy too.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 18, I think it was too early.. but I felt like I had no choice. it sucked, I didn't have the money, but I could share the expenses .. I really wasn't prepared though. I think maybe 20 would be better, if you have a job or some savings. but if you have to move to study, then .. well it's another thing :)
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say because the economy is still so tough right now. I know I wouldn't have been able to move on my own because I just don't make enough money to support myself to pay for rent every month, plus power, water, groceries, car insurance and gas. It takes both mine and my husbands paychecks to make ends meet.

That being said, I moved out at 18 but had to move back home at 19 befuase I just couldn't support myself the way I thought I could. I got a dose of reality from the real world. I'm now 25, and I have been married for 4 years. When I was 20, my husband, (then bf) went into the Navy, and I eventually moved in with his family when we got engaged the summer after he left for bootcamp. I lived with them until he came home 4 years later from Japan. (I was unable to move with him to Japan once we got married due to unforseen circumstances with his navy command). We stayed there for a few more months when he got home and then moved out. That was a little over a year ago. Actually, a year and 2 months now.

So, like I said- you can't put a specific age on something like this becuase everyone's circumstances are different.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Left for college at 18 and had no desire to live with my parents ever again after that. I had an apartment with roommates pretty much until my late 20's, then moved in with my husband. That's what all my college friends did. I can't think of one person who moved back in with their parents after school ended. And that's not because anyone was making huge amounts of money. Most people were waiting tables or doing temp office jobs and sharing a cheap apartment. I'd want my kids to do the same thing when they're old enough. If they're making money, they're paying their own way.

ETA - I graduated college in the early 90s when the economy was as crappy as it is now.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

,,,but let us suppose that you had the money and opportunity to move out of the parental home...would you stay or would you go and what age do you think is right?

Under these conditions, I think I would have moved out at birth. Definitely by age 10.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    We are in the midst of this issue. My future stepson just graduated high school, and is starting community college. He lives with his mother. His mother thinks we should be helping pay "room and board" to her while he is living with her. We think he's 18 and should get a job and pay his own way contributing to her household. (ps, we still pay child support for their other child - enough that the mother is not living in poverty or strapped for cash). And yes, we are offering to have him move in with us, and wouldn't require her to pay us anything, but would require him to get a job and start paying his own food, gas, insurance, phone, extras, we will take care of rent.

I worked two jobs in high school to save for college, starting at 16, I have a huge problem that this kid doesn't have (or isn't being pushed to have) at least a parttime job at the age of 18. I currently work full time, carry a fulltime course load for school, and raise 3 children, I have very little tolerance for slackers. I have no problem with kids staying at home through college, to ease the financial burden, but I do believe that they should be contributing members of the household, and I do believe that community college is no excuse to not have a parttime job. And as soon as they have gained the financial income level to be independent, it's time to learn to fly, kiddos.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I moved out as soon as possible... even with no job or apartment.... My children once graduating school were given the option... go to college or get a job and contibute to the household.

My daughter's words... This is my parents house why do I have to pay to stay here...

My words....I have to pay to live here so why shouldn't you??
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm very close to my parents and love them so much, everything I have, my life, my talents, my education, my character, all of that and much more is because of them, and I'm forever grateful for that.... So I didn't want to leave them and moved out only when I got married first time - I was 21.

But I still trying to spend more time with my parents. Sometimes I spend my weekends with them or do a vacation together. Right now I'm planning a weekend retreat for them in Milan with La Scala opera date. I love them so much, God bless them.

If it was my parents choice I'd still be living with them, lol.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a nest. Nor did I ever. I also don't know how to fly.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i moved out at 18...and moved back in at 29 (life happened; circumstances that dictated it'd make more sense to live under the parental roof, etc.). i plan on being there until next spring. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I moved out just before my 21st birthday. Like anything, you've got to do what works for you. Although I had a nice childhood and have a great mother, she and I are pretty much polar opposites in the personality department so we butted heads quite a bit when I was younger (better now but there are still moments). I went to college for 2 years and due to changing my major my schedule was off so I took a year at home to figure things out and get some work experience under my belt. She would've been fine with me staying there, probably for a few more years but I had to get out on my own, finish my college degree, do the 20-something thing.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    A couple of my friends moved back home after college and stayed for several years. Rent free. Genius, 3 years of no rent, no mortgage, lots of free food and laundry services.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

That is so, so sad. Did you come from an egg though?
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

That is so, so sad. Did you come from an egg though?

Don't we all come from eggs?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I got married at the age of 26.

I started working when I was 11 and haven't stopped since. My parents are the best people on this planet, I love them so much. If it were up to them, I would be there forever. I have been married for almost 8 years and see them several times a week and my kids have a great relationship with them.

The idea of parents kicking their kids out at 18 is so sad to me. But whatever. I think it's a cultural thing more than anything.

P.S. I wouldn't put my parents in a nursing home either.