At what age should you fly the nest?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    19. The age my oldest turns in a few days. I want her to move out properly so I can turn her room into a home gym. She pretty much lives at her boyfriends house anyway and is only home to catch up on sleep and get lifts to work.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was 17. I graduated on a Saturday and was on a plane to England on the following Monday.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I moved out with 18. It was hard first but after a while it was a good thing. I got pretty independent and did my own thing. Visited my parents as often as I could and they came to visit as well.
  • TiffieLand
    Options
    I believe I want to move out once I'm stable in not only financial independent but also when i'm independent in everything. And I want to support my parents and stay with them a while if we're on good terms because I know they want to be with me and would be lonely. As an asian, we're suppose to stay with our parents until we are married. Not by living off of them but by being filial to them while we can and haven't gotten our own family and responsibilities to take of then. Money is not enough to return our parents care and love. We used to think otherwise like move out as soon as possible but i'm thinking differently as I am growing older.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there's any age whereby they should be kicked out of the parental home. However, if they are not in full time education IMO they should pay for keep, contribute to bills and buy their own groceries, or contribute to the cost of family grocery shopping. If my kids ever fall on really hard times then I'd have them at home paying nothing rather than living on the streets but I'd do what i can to help them get back into independence as soon as possible. It's a lot easier to find a job while living with parents than it is when living on the street. S*** happens, and it's a sad world if you can't turn to your family for help when you're in the s***.

Also, once they're old enough to get a Saturday job or similar, but still in full time education, i.e. age 13-15 or thereabouts depending on the laws in various places, then IMO it's good for developing life skills and a good work ethic if the parents only pay for the essentials, and they earn their own money to pay for entertainment, new clothes and any other extras. This would also apply for kids who leave home to study at university, i.e. parents pay what they can afford towards the essentials, they work to pay for the rest of it. IMO it's part of a parents duties to ensure their kids are educated, but education isn't just in academics, kids need to learn life skills like budgeting and also parents should instill a good work ethic into kids, and this is a good way to do all those things.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and live at home, I also work full time and go to school, and could give zero f*cks.

amen.

That may not be on purpose, he can't just bring a girl home. Imagine THAT walk of shame. hahaha

My son (18) and daughter(22) both have their own bedrooms, own door key and both have their partners sleeping over whenever they feel like it. I assume they have a normal & happy sex life; I wouldn't know, I always knock first before taking them cups of tea in the morning :happy: The only shame is if they didn't have nice clean sheets on the bed! :bigsmile:

^^^ Oh helllll NO, this wouldn't happen in my house, lol. If my kids need a healthy sex life, it's time for them to move out!

I accept that at 18+ my kids are young adults and are entitled to have loving relationships which include a healthy sex life, Im a realistic person. One has just finished his A levels and one has just graduated, both will be at home for the next few years whilst they job hunt and if they want to move out then to look for accomodation, theres no rush from me as the current job market is pretty poor here in the UK and I do not want to catapult either of them into unsavoury accomodation or dead end jobs, I want them to reach their full potential and that to me means supporting them while they gain work experience, do voluntary work, apply for work in their chosen field. They can also choose to live here until they get married or choose to move out themselves, if they want to live here for the rest of their lives they can also do that as the house is paid for and has already been left in a will to the 3 of them equally, I have a clause drawn up that the house cant be sold unless all 3 are in agreement and if that means one child would suffer by being undersold by the other 2 then legally I wouldnt see anyone of them homeless, hence the clause. They may all choose to conitnue living here after Im dead and gone, or all 3 sell it. Its not an issue for me :)

:D .. You're such a lovely parent! God bless you and your kids :)

Regarding sex life and parenting... I was married twice but I can't imagine my parents would know my sex life, I'd be crazy embarrassed. I hope they think I'm still a virgin :)))