WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Ginny - congrats on Luna's arrival. <3 So glad she's here and all is well. This will be a memorable Thanksgiving for everyone. Hope you can catch up on sleep.

Annie- crossing fingers all is going well at your house. Thought about you a lot yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping that as mom settles in, you'll be able to have a schedule that gives you time to do things in the house (and even outside the house like grocery shopping?) that doesn't require you sitting in the room with her. You probably already have a lot of this figured out!

Kim - we are so appreciative of your wisdom and insight into dealing with elderly parents and everything you learned caring for your mom this summer. Sounds like she's getting along OK in her own house. And thanks too for sharing your experience cooking for that family. It's been different for me cooking a quantity of food like I used to and putting half in the freezer. My DH didn't like leftovers so I also prepared a lot of variety at one time, and it was fun.

Machka - interesting information about hearing loss and dementia. I thought the Lancet study gave a good overview of all the risk factors for dementia, with hearing loss being one of them.

I skimmed the links you provided. There are so many types of dementia. My grandparents who lived the longest and had the best brains in their mid 90's had "old age" hearing loss and no hearing aids - or didn't wear them. Perhaps they were strong in other areas such as no smoking, good nutrition, being active/exercise that kept their brains in good shape despite not hearing worth a darn. I'd like to see more research on hearing loss and dementia with these other factors taken into consideration. Maybe the TILDA study mentions it - I haven't had a chance to look yet.

Joy - I love getting the updates from you, imagining your place on the prairie. Enjoy the game!

Carol - good luck finding a landscaper. If I could whoosh out to your house I'd bring my little battery operated leaf blower and get things cleaned up.

BMI's for older folks: I ran across an interesting article this morning about BMI for folks over 65. In the same vein as the smartbmicalculator. The optimal BMI for folks over 65 is a lot different than it was when we were younger. Here's the link:

https://thegeriatricdietitian.com/bmi-in-the-elderly/

And check out this chart. It tells me quit worrying about the scale and keep working on building some muscle. :p

7u4pmypcqrsv.png

**Reminder to get the Check-In stats to me today or tomorrow morning.**

More I want to comment on but I better get this posted. I've been working on it since around 4 am.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Ginny - Totally missed your post - congratulations on Luna's arrival! So glad all is well.
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Lanette, thanks for the BMI link for the elderly. Found in very interesting.

Joy
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,368 Member
    Options
    Pg 42

Lisa: 🥰 the pottery
    Allie: 💗 Mile’s smiles!

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I honestly don’t know how you keep making meals for anyone but yourself. Your family is so rude and disrespectful to you.

Tracey in Edmonton

Dh ended up eating the pot pie this evening and son and his girlfriend are eating it now.
    I will have some for lunch tomorrow with a salad.
    I do get irritated with them sometime but am cooking more of what I really enjoy and if they want to eat, great, if not, I will enjoy it(like my stuffed baked potatoes- had them twice and really enjoyed them both times.

Spent the evening pricing and packing the 3D printed stuff for the show this weekend. Last night we did the same thing with all the toys we are hoping to sell- these are all from the late '80's and '90s mostly.
    It is a huge show so hopefully we do decent. At least cover the cost of the booth and a little extra for expenses

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    As Tracey mentioned, hearing loss is related to isolation and a reduced ability to be social. The social aspect is a big one to help prevent dementia.

As an introvert who can happily spend a weekend not seeing anyone and not talking to anyone ... and who could easily envision moving to a remote cabin where I only interact with people a couple times a year ... I wondered what was so important about social interaction. After all social interaction is exhausting, draining, irritating, and can throw me into a slump for days.

But ... being social does use the brain in a different way than taking courses, figuring out the logic in a database, reading and exercising because you never know what is going to come out of people's mouths. It's not predictable and often not logical.

So in a conversation you've got to figure out what people mean and think of a response that isn't going to upset them, but is also current, pithy, perhaps witty and opens things up for further conversation. That's really hard to do!! Which is why it is so draining. The brain gets quite a workout!

So if you can't hear, you reduce the ability to exercise your brain socially.

There are lots of things that could lead to dementia. But just because a person is weak in one area doesn't guarantee the person is going to get it.

However, I figure that keeping on top of hearing is one of the easiest things we can do.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Another article ...

Want to reduce your risk of dementia? Get your hearing checked today
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/want-to-reduce-your-risk-of-dementia-get-your-hearing-checked-today-202302162891

"How do hearing aids reduce the risk of dementia?
    If you have hearing loss, does that mean you're doomed to develop dementia? Not at all. This study found that those with moderate to severe hearing loss could significantly reduce their risk of dementia simply by using hearing aids.

This research helps us understand why hearing loss causes dementia. Here's the connection:

There is increasing evidence that the more the brain is stimulated, the less likely it is that dementia will develop. When there is hearing loss, auditory stimulation is reduced. This, by itself, likely increases dementia risk. But even more important is that when an individual suffers from moderate to severe hearing loss, they are less likely to participate in social activities. Perhaps they are embarrassed about their hearing loss. Or they may simply find it unrewarding to attend a social event when they cannot hear what is going on.

It turns out that social activities are one of the best ways to stimulate the brain, as there is evidence that our brains evolved to facilitate social behavior. Given all this information, you won't be surprised to learn that reduced social activity has been linked to cognitive decline. Thus, this new study provides additional evidence that the reason hearing loss increases the risk of dementia is because hearing loss reduces brain stimulation — both directly and through reduced social interaction."

More on the social thing ...

Paid Employment May Protect Women's Memory Later in Life, Study Finds
    https://www.verywellmind.com/paid-employment-may-protect-women-s-memory-later-in-life-study-finds-5086949

"Published in Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology, the research focused on the relationship between women’s memory decline and their work-family experience throughout their lives. It found that those who held down a job for substantial periods of their lives before age 50 had a slower rate of memory loss compared with non-working women, regardless of whether they were married or had children.

The findings revealed that, on average, women who didn’t spend time in the workforce had a 50% greater decline in memory score between ages 60 and 70 years old compared with working married mothers.

The authors of the study say that the benefits of paid work on women’s memory may be the result of the greater financial security, social engagement, and cognitive stimulation that come with employment.1

“Having a paid job also gives you a sense of purpose,” adds Liron Sinvani, MD, a hospitalist with a geriatrics focus at Northwell Health and assistant professor at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research (she was not involved in the reseach). “All of these things together lead to this slowing of cognitive decline, even more than some other factors we think are very important, like having children or being in a relationship.”"

If all that is the case, I have been involved in paid employment for about 40 years!! And I'm looking at another 10-11 years ahead of me.

I must say that, as a carer, going to work is beneficial for me because I can have different conversations with a variety of people than I do at home with my husband. His and my conversations are rather repetitive.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: dry highway and no wind on the way to/from Gold Beach.
    Lisa :love: the Orion afghan. Kylia :love: the pics.
    Tracey what a great display! Con grats for taking off those four pounds!
    Ginny congratulations on Luna’s safe arrival.
    Lisa hope the Levi sighting helped distract from pain, and that you can get in to the docs soonest.
    Machka thanks for the dementia/hearing loss/social activity information.
    Anyone have any experience freezing fudge? KJ???
    11/19: Move: 2 sets PT w/dx2 and x&a, Jeopardy walking. Steps:8154
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=2 CI<CO net=155 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, church and council, Wt:131.2
    11/18: Move: 2 sets PT w/dx2 and x&a, Zumba and Jeopardy walking. Steps:
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=23 CI<CO net=399 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, council minutes and hymns. Wt:129.9

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    November: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, start meditating. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Tracey-I love the gnomes! I have quite a collection. Don't know why I am so attracted to them.

The dementia information is very timely. SIL house mate who is in nursing home shows definite signs of dementia. She is also stopping eating. SIL finds it frustrating. She was a nurse in a nursing facility for years so her head knows it is part of the disease but it is harder to deal with when it is someone you care about. I was not aware that they do not recommend feeding tubes, etc. in these situations. Her friend has a DNR with no feeding tubes so not only will SIL follow her requests but it also is medically accepted. Tough situation.

Got decent sleep last night so getting caught up. Only for 2.5 days this week-have a hair appointment and podiatry appointment Weds. afternoon and we close the day after Thanksgiving.

Off to get a bit of a stretching work out in before hitting the office.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio