WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Simone my reading goal for last year was 12 books. I read 52!😳 This year my goal is 20 but have already finished 2 that I had started last year (lol!). I read just about anything. I belong to Prime First Reads and get 1 book a month free (sometimes more like this month) and pick books by their name and cover, so I’ve gotten mystery, romance (I don’t particularly like these- all the same really) Sci-Fi, horror (Think Stephen King), thrillers (think Koontz) biographies, almost anything! Do you belong to the Goodread app? They have book giveaways that authors do, both Kindle and Hardcover. Last year I won 3 Kindle and 1 hardcover from them. I believe it is good to read all sorts of stuff to widen my horizons! LOL Friend me on here (kevrit) with and I will tell you how to friend me and we can compete reading!

Anyone else interested in free books and a book challenge? Just PM me and we can all connect!

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well starting day 3 I hate this fluctuation thing and that I just can't understand a gain.. All I can think of was to much carbs in the popcorn I had. Because I was under calories on here. Oh well take it and keep with it. Good luck to all
    Linda in Northern Ontario

Could be salt. I know for me that when I eat things with salt, I gain water weight. I now need to avoid salt so will see how my day-to-day weight changes. I only log my weight on Mondays because of those fluctuations, but I do weigh every day to try to figure out where the ‘water weight’ came from on the last day. I also know that a change in activity will cause me to gain water weight, and now I have CKD (Kidney disease) which also causes water weight, so working on finding what i already eat that I can adjust to meet the guidelines to help my BP, CKD, and glucose readings.

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Good morning all who enter here. Well starting my 3rd day. And the day can only be as good as I want it to be. Good luck to all.

I always say in my head, "its a good day for a good day".😁👍🏼🙏🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Rita - I’m in interested to see what crafts you do this year. I have so many ideas in my head for crafts that I end up not doing any.
    I hope you get good news at the doctor.

One craft I think I’ll do this year and may work on this winter is tree skirts for my girls. Their stockings are old and the original ones I made when they were small. They have both said they didn’t want new ones though. They have both said they would like new tree skirts. I’ve never tried one, but I have a tonne of sequins and beads to use up. I may also make advent calendars for the Grands.

Kylia - I have heard that about walking backwards. I was doing a lot of the Leslie Sansone videos and she does the walking backwards.
    I hope DH takes heed, as my grandmother used to say.

Heather and Rebecca - good job on getting rid of things.

I have to wait until the weekend for my next session as my garbage bin is near full and I need to put my regular garbage out. I did get rid of a shel today though.

Rebecca - that gift looks like so much fun!

Karen - happy New Year to you as well.

Lisa - how exciting to have your girl home. It will be nice just the three of you I bet. I actually like taking my daughter away without the Grands once in a while. It’s a different visit.

Sue - I have watched a couple of episode of Unsellable Houses now. They look like they are fun to work with.
    Sorry about your septic and dryer. My brother told me he bought my SIL a new dryer for Christmas as they were afraid of fire with theirs. He said they discussed it and that’s what she wanted, he wasn’t taking chances in ticking her up for.

Lanette - I’m going to have to have a look at Dr. Matt.
    You said you want to eat a meal that is so satisfying you don’t want to snack an hour later. I think this may be one of my big problems. I haven’t wanted anything but snacks in a long time. I truly dislike cooking and I keep just making quick and easy junk instead of putting time and effort in. I need to get more use out of my crockpot and air fryer.

Kelly - I bought the splint thing that Allie mentioned for plantar fasciitis and it seems to be helping. My only suggestion if you buy one is not to get one that covers your toes. My toes keep getting painful and cramped during the night and I have to take it off. I may order another one next pay. I also started wearing my Birkenstock knock-offs in the house and put arch supports in my slippers. I have been wanting to cry because my feet hurt so bad and these things have made a difference not 100% but more tolerable.

Evelyn - our weather is so strange. I see there were fire bans in some areas of AB a couple weeks ago along with water restrictions. I also do a couple days ago that there are fiddleheads starting in the East Coast.

Ginny & Michele - I love Corelle, I have had three sets over the years. One set I gave to my SIL when we moved to AB, the second set I gave to a friend when I decided to go to stoneware. I really missed the light weight and small storage required so 3 years ago asked for another 2 sets for Christmas. I think these will be my final dishes. I have a set for 12.

Lanette - I use a weather app called WTForecast. The language is a bit much, it’s as accurate as any I’ve found they just make it funny.
    My DH used to use the leaf blower to clear snow, it worked well most of the time.

Linda - when I was actively losing I weighed daily and did an average over the seven days. It helped me to stay encouraged because almost always as long as I was logging and tracking there was a loss. If I had gone by the day to day I wouldn’t have believed it.
    I actually started tracking and averaging again, I need to get back in shape.

Beth - I have been eating from the pantry as well. I see there are still some things that are about to expire that I won’t eat and DH is turning his nose at. I may put them on our Freebie site so someone can use them.
    I hope your Mom is able to return to her home.

Heather - you have had a productive day.
    Your bladder information was interesting to me. I have been having issues and need to figure out how to fix them. My doctor has retired and was not very helpful in that regard.
    I am thinking of going to buy another big canvas today to paint a landscape scene. I also am trying to find a handyman that will come mud our drywall so that I am able to paint. I am starting to feel like too many things need doing and DH is showing no interest in helping. I think I could do the mudding myself, but I don’t think I would do a well enough job. The wall is very straight and I have to walk up and down it several times a day any imperfections would be easily noticeable and would irritate me.

Pip - I hope Kirby continues to listen to you.

Rita - great news from the doctor!
    I love the book idea, I am too fussy of a reader to have books just sent to me though. My Grandmother used to do the Doubleday book club and she always was able to find what I liked at the same time as pushing me out of my comfort zone. She for years used them for gifts for DH and I.

Vicki - I hope you find some answers at the doctor.

I have been typing this since Wednesday I think. I had a project due for school that took up most of my day the last couple of days. Today I had a mini quiz and was given another assignment due Monday.

I am expecting my next student loan payment to come today. I am going to hopefully purchase a new sofa this weekend. I really hope to rearrange the living room.

I should get off here and do something. I’m not sure what yet.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I need to make a shopping list of things I need, like a crafters cutting board, exacto knives, my sewing kitt, new craft scissors, and glues. Right now the kit is just sitting on the kitchen table making Japanese ooglely eyes at me.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Tracey - He explained that after the first urge at one third full, the urge will go away. I have since then been holding on until I'm really bursting. It has made a huge difference to my life. I used to take 'just in case' wees all the time. Remember to do pelvic floor squeezes whenever you can.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    [

Debbie My DH has same issues as yours health wise. He is great at walking though and hates to sit still. Prefers to walk if there is a destination though. He rarely has found a burger he won't eat. Good thing he has me. ;)

[

Make the BEST choice you can at the moment you are in.

Hugs!
    Healing thoughts!
    Stay safe!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio watching a beautiful if ominous sunrise

Dh loves to sit and watch tv- that is his favorite thing to do. All of his hobbies have him sitting down pretty much.
    As for food- Dh likes burgers but LOVES Chinese takeout the best. Likes Taco Bell, Church's Chicken, Pho. pizza, Mexican place,etc- pretty much all food. The bad part is that he is picking up food for his mom twice a day plus getting his own food when he is out.
    He would be thrilled if he just had rice and meat, skip the veggies. He eats WAY too many carbs and fried food.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- pushed chispas in buggy- 2hrs 1min 58sec, 85elev, 3.05ap, 90ahr, 114mhr, 6.30mi= 642c
    Strava app= 772c

Didn’t spin or go to the gym. I have to get my California drivers license this year (exp. 2025). I have all the information from my previous marriages (married 4 times) except for husband #1 so I am tackling that. The county couldn’t find my marriage certificate but I was able to get my divorce paper. Hopefully that will be enough to get a license since it has my original name. Moral of the story, don’t get married multiple times!

You need all of that to get a driver's license? That's annoying.

Tina in CA

Yup, my name has changed 4 times. They need a paper trail on how I came from my birth name to the name I have now. That’s means marriage and divorce certificates (they can’t be copies, have to be certified) and a death certificate (3rd husband died)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/chispa- 10.10min, .46mi= 53c
    Strava app = 57c
    Walk w/yogi and Lucy- 2hrs 6min 54sec, 113elev, 2.95ap, 83ahr, 105mhr, 6.27mi= 629c
    Strava app = 768c

Can’t walk as fast as I would like w/lucy, she’s a slow walker :0(
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Vicki - crossing fingers the heart doctor can help you.

Beth - glad to hear your mom has recovered so well.

Heather - thank you for that tip about "holding it." I need to practice doing that.

Pip- good idea Kirby laying off walking for a few days. Did the ER doc give any diagnosis?

Rita - doing the happy dance for your good news at your kidney appointment. :p

Tracey - Thanks for letting me know Rodger's success with using the leaf blower on snow. Think I'll bring it in the house and will have shovels ready too. Hopefully if I'm overprepared we'll just get a dusting of snow.

I finally was able to get my wedding ring off this morning. Several years ago it "cracked" - there was a split that would sometimes pinch my skin if I caught the ring on something and it expanded a teeny bit. I had a bad "pinch" last week. Since I've been grasping weights a lot more, my fingers are larger and the ring used to slip off easily, but not any more. Until this morning. I guess my hands were cold enough that I was able to gradually twist it off.

I have some other rings that are a smidge larger I can wear if I think I need to wear one. I like having the option depending on what hunk I enounter at the feed store, lol. :p:p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Pulled muscle
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Pip- good idea Kirby laying off walking for a few days. Did the ER doc give any diagnosis?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Pulled muscle

That's what I figured. They can hurt like the dickens though.

Lanette
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    Tracey - He explained that after the first urge at one third full, the urge will go away. I have since then been holding on until I'm really bursting. It has made a huge difference to my life. I used to take 'just in case' wees all the time. Remember to do pelvic floor squeezes whenever you can.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

one of the shows my daycare girl watches and loves, calls those "tactical wee"
    At first I didn't get it but now love that saying