Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    Happy new year peeps
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Barbie - You always come up with things that make me think... and I love that thought and image, thank you.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    Lisa The sunroom is looking outstanding...

Kelly
    The pot hole story was a good laugh to start off the new year. I shared the shark one on Facebook. I tried some of the others but they didn't paste for me.

For this year I hope to carry over the habits that are making me feel stronger especially the change in my diet with no wheat and limited other grains. The next step is to reduce of eliminate sugar consumption. Had a great chat with a friends son who is a vegan. Even with no alcohol and a vegan diet he has a fatty liver. Thinking about it he might be eating refined carbs or carbs with too much sugar. His mom loves her sugar!

HAPPY NEW YEAR DEAR FRIENDS!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Today I will spend time with family either electronically or in person, weight in (weekly on Mondays), find a bell to ring, while celebrating my independence, and jump! (My new daily goals will come from these “Today is”.) See spoiler. Lots today
    z5jpwryrhl5t.jpeg
    pr7dmllyk6mv.jpeg
    clyrs7da8fs0.jpeg
    4mx264d1gdj1.jpeg
    ahfsiyfuscj4.jpeg
    t1qqb7ef5fys.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in January 1, 2024

Evie in BC -I checked back to see my weight on Jan 1st, 2023 and lo and behold, I've actually lost 1.6 lbs since then! I was quite sure that I was up by a considerable amount, so not as bad as I had feared. Not as good as I hope 2024 will be, but it's a start!

Kylia in Ohio - Happy New Year! So I ended the year 1 pound heavier. My start for 2024 is 129.6. My concentration was mental health for 2023. 2024 I plan on being selfish in my self care. I am 15 lbs from goal weight. I get close then self sabatoge. Positive attitude says ....I only gained 1 pound, not bad considering my lack of effort in that portion of my life. I have all you ladies to keep me in line!

Rita in Roswell NM - This year has been up and down all year in my weight. I have been retaining water and losing it almost every week! Last year on January 1, I weighed 180 pounds. Today I weigh 176, last week on Monday I weighed 171 pounds. All depends on water weight and what I ate the night before. Too much salt yesterday! RVRita

Lanette in SW WA State – Weight seems to have stabilized into a “set point” good for my age. High protein breakfast helps snack attacks. Looking for ways to add a bit of different resistance type exercise for strength and/or balance. Still walking for bone and strength building with various weights at least 30 minutes per day in 10-minute increments, after meals.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    Lanette Dr. Wholeness love that name...

After responding I will go back and watch videos. I think they will fit in nicely for my mantra for 2024 which I got from Alberto Viilolde...
    creating health, rather than fighting disease.

I may be repeating myself. Given adjusting to turn in DH health not surprised ...I tried teff and goat for the time at an Ethiopian Restaurant that was name after where Lucy who they believe is one of the oldest human found. I loved the tea, the teff (It is a gluten free nutritious grain), a red dal dish, but not so much the goat. Next time the veggie platter. DH managed to go out twice to eat over the weekend. I got the gluten solo pizza with red onion and spinach. Yes another thing to create a decent gluten free pizza crust! Still got used to the cracker-like crust and did not feel bloated after eating!

First video l like his need to humble self and ask for help, then find like minded who are on their way to creating a healthier self like my friends here. In addition creating healthier habits examples he gave were better sleep habits, drink a glass of water first thing when you wake up. For me it is to eat or to drink something bitter (dandelion tincture) before I eat to get the bile working to properly digest my food, eat more fermented foods, continue to avoid what products and most grains if possible, take time to stretch during the day especially if fell tense in my legs...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    On Physical Health

I drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, before I leave for work, and have done for many years. Pretty much since I discovered I had kidney stones.

I refrain from drinking my calories as much as possible.

I also take a small collection of vitamins in the evening. I have tried various ones over the years and have dropped the ones that really don't seem to make a difference.

My diet can be described as "leaning toward being vegetarian". Lots of fruit and vegetables, grains, seeds etc. Some dairy. Minimal meat.

I don't consume a lot of added sugar except for my after dinner deserts. 😀 Those are usually a couple ice cream bars.

I exercise as much as I can but want to increase the amount I exercise this year. Our home gym helps. The stairs at work help. And getting outside to walk (maybe run again) and cycle are my favourite ways to exercise.

I also want to work on going to bed a few minutes earlier during the week.

(Interestingly, the Wellness Wheel is about various aspects of mental health ... just one item on the Wheel is about physical health)

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    Barbie thank you for faithfully starting us fresh! You’re my gratitude for today. ;)
    Yesterday’s gratitude: 12/31 Joe came to me and said “You’re in the newspaper!” local newspaper documents the commissioners’ meetings and quoted all who spoke, including me. I asked him what he thought and he shook his head. “I don’t do politics.” BUT a few moments later he said “but I’m proud of you for standing up for what you believe.” Another example of how he’s mellowed and matured. There would have been a day when he would have made his preference for me not to get involved very clear and in a not so supportive way. Yay Joe!
    Annie hugs, just hugs more and more. Glad you can vent here. Really glad your cousin is helping organize the finances. Hope your father accepts backing away from them entirely. (((more hugs)))
    Lanette thanks for the vit D links. Last May I was at 41. Must be more faithful about taking the D3/K2 EVERY day ;}
    Lisa came to the same conclusion as you about the microplastics. Leaning that way about the Fosamax/progesterone/estradiol conundrum. Love your acupuncturist!
    Kylia so what treasure was concealed in the hidden compartment?
    Rita WAY big improvement. Bravissima!
    Michele does the dentist who’s doing your root canal, know you’re on Prolia? Sounds like someone at BK is trying to maximize profit at the cost of quality and customer service. Short term benefit, but catastrophe in the long run.
    Lanette incorporating exercise snacks while waiting for something else, yes! Run water to heat for dishes? Sink pushups. Wii to warm up? Seated fast marching and surprise! That really gets to the gut. Water to boil for tea? Invite the dogs to play “Chase me!” around the house. ;)
    12/31: Move: : ZERO sets PT , dogs to powerline, Steps:4047
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-12 CI<CO net=-200
    vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, church, fellowship, laundry, Wt:
    Finished thru 2023. Year end summary and 2024 intentions later.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    December: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, meditate 3 minutes/day. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Lanette Thank you for sharing Dr Matt. Healthy mindset and consumption I found interesting. Mindset is a work in progress. Consumption choices.....I tune out the news which my DH likes on every morning and evening. Tuning out is best for me mentally. Everyone knows the world is a mess. It is also full of feel good stories, ie the pothole shenanigans. Too bad the news doesn't give us briefs on things we may need to know followed by lots of good things! I will continue to work on my consumption of good for me which includes all of you! As for the layers towards health. I am doing really well there! I already shop very little processed, wild caught, hormone free, grass fed. I can't do artificial sweetners as they drop my blood sugars badly. If I eat anything after dinner it is usually just a dark chocolate my DH leaves on my pillow. So the 2-3 hr not eating window is good. I do limit vegetable oils. Will continue that. The three that I need to prioritize are...1) meal planning. I know this works as when I do it I snack way less, think more clearly, and lose weight. 2. Water- I want to be a plump juicy grape ;). Will add water first in morning. 3) protein rich meals especially when breaking my fast.

Barbie That was fun! I sang right along!

Great job ladies on weights and challenges. Recognizing out potholes and our smooth roads is awesome in our progress to healthier lives.

Machka My thinking on the reason there are more mental spokes is because if those aren't being addressed the physical isn't going to happen. You do a great job of balancing them all. It is inspiring!

Welcome @njmomof3 !

Well, I ate steamed shrimp for breaking fast. I have had 24 oz water. I dusted new room, watered plants, cleaned master bath including the tops of cabinets-yuck, vacuumed house, and threw out a bunch of stuffs sitting in a basket for 2 years. I sorted the last bag of stuffs that I bagged to deal with later. I have walked/danced 22mins intentional exercise. I read my book for 30 mins. Did my Bible reading. So far great day! Still need to wipe down my bathroom, clear off bed in guest room, and clean out desk drawer that is overflowing. Dinner will be leftovers tonight.

Have sat long enough. Time to grab more water and move to next task.

Love y'all,
    Kylia in Ohio trying to take advantage of new year, new month, day off work to set up success