Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Hello all,

We are back from a road trip. It was a lovely jaunt through Arizona. We did some hiking there and in Nevada. There was an unbelievable amount of people hiking in Sedona. Most were "tourist" hikers who trailed off after the first mile or so. But I could not believe how many people there were. It was really tough to get through that first mile for this super introvert. Just feeling their presence when I know they were only there because they saw something on Instagram or Facebook made it worse for me. I miss travel before social media. It was much nicer.

Tina in CA

That's one of the problems with working in a cruise ship stop city like I do. (Hobart)

During the winter, I can nip out at lunch and get stuff done or go for walks and there aren't many people around.

But come summer, when these enormous blocks of flats dock, and thousands of people pour into the city, it's a struggle to run errands and to find a place to walk where there aren't teaming hoards of people.

They also bring disease to our little island ... like the COVID I'm still struggling with.

First place they all seem to go is to "my" chemist, the chemist where I get my and my husband's medication. I walk in and am climbing over people to get to the pharmacy counter. I had to do that on the Monday of the week I came down with COVID so I've got a strong suspicion that's where I was infected.

It baffles me why they've all got to go to these places at lunch time.

As another super introvert, I feel like I want a Fezzik from the Princess Bride to accompany me!!
    https://youtu.be/XDa5JyPDKvw

We spent 6 weeks travelling through the US in 2012 and took in many of the places you've just been to. We were in most of those places in November and December, and fortunately, they weren't too crowded then. But it wasn't school holidays yet.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - irresponsible dog owners are such a pain. It’s a shame you have to rearrange your yard to have peace.
    I drink at least one Coke a day. I had given it up for 2 years and started again for some stupid reason. I am working on getting rid of it again.
    I prefer salty to sugar except for this.

I’m so happy to read that your legal stuff with DH’s accident has been settled. What a time that has been.

Machka - I enjoyed the MFP carols.

Penny near the North Pole showed us a picture one year showing that she left lights in vases and such after taking Christmas down. I have followed her lead ever since. I just love the soft lighting.

Tracey in Edmonton

I started doing the lights in vases thing after staying at a B&B that did that. This is mine from a few years ago:
    5p0hpot7pmib.png

It was Barbie who posted the MFP carols. :)

It is unfortunate that we had to rearrange our yard, but it might turn out nicer.

The house behind us is a rental and they've had a string of ... odd ... people there. The single mother who could not talk to her little boy without yelling at the top of her lungs. Poor kid. The couple who moved in with an enormous, aggressive, barky dog who came into our yard a few times and scared my husband. They were really odd - he cut down all the trees and sold the wood for firewood!! Finally it seemed the couple split up - he and the dog disappeared and a few months later, she went. Now this current couple is there, but when they moved in, they had another girl with them for a while until another woman started coming to the house, parking in the driveway and calling the girl on her phone and arguing and fighting with her. The girl was on the phone in the house and wouldn't open the door. I'd be out there weeding and could hear the argument because the woman in the car turned the volume on her phone all the way up so the whole neighbourhood could hear. Eventually the girl moved out leaving the couple on their own. Before, they'd chat to us occasionally but since then they just glower at everyone, sit outside and smoke, and of course this dog suddenly turned up.

Anyway, we figured that the dogs that appear over there are usually in the back half of the yard so we'll just move our relaxing area away from the back half of the yard, away from this dog and any others that might come along.

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    Tina - I'm glad that Machka posted that medical link. Take a look. Pain is never 'in your head' - don't let the doctors fob you off. It sounds absolutely awful.

My main concern when it is super windy is that the TV aerial on the roof will come down. It never has! At the moment, the house opposite us is having its roof replaced. There is mighty, towering, scaffolding and plastic sheeting all over it, which makes a horrible noise. Some of the sheeting came loose yesterday. The workmen had had to stop working in the high winds, so there was no one to secure it. Fortunately, everything has survived. Last time our front side fence came down but the new one has stayed up. :D

Hair trim today. My old stylist has left, so I have got to try out a new one. :'( The last one was the best cutter I have ever had. When you have a dead straight long bob, that is important.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/saag-halloumi-spiced-spinach-halloumi-recipe/

Tina - This is the same as the recipe I use, though I found mine on Instagram. I add a sliced red pepper to the initial onion stage, and I use lots of spinach at the end. I use a very large frying pand with a lid, and just put it over the spinach until it's wilted. The most tedious bit is frying the halloumi, which takes patience.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited January 3
    Options
    Not enough time to exercise?

168 hours in a week:
    - 59.5 hours for sleep (7 days * 8.5 hours)
    - 47.5 hours for work and getting ready for work (5 days * 9.5 hours)
    - 7.5 hours for transportation to and from work (5 days * 1.5 hours)
    - 14 hours for housework, groceries, laundry etc. (7 days * 2 hours)
    - 6 hours for clubs and associations (beekeeping, cycling, brain, etc.)
    - 10.5 hours for exercise (the recommended amount of 90 minutes a day * 7 days)

= 23 hours per week for ... whatever you want. 🙂 Like (last year) the legal stuff I was working on. Like courses. Like decluttering projects. Like more exercise.

And just think, if we did do 90 minutes of exercise a day, that's 547.5 hours of exercise in a year!!

Last year I recorded 243 hours of exercise. This year I may potentially have more time so who knows!! (Once I get over COVID).

Something to think about. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Tina hugs!

Flea happy anniversary!

Lisa sorry about your missing pieces.

I was sick in bed all day yesterday. Of course Dad came up to see what the dinner plan was. I think today will be better, I can walk around a few minutes without dizziness.

Today I told my dad that he shouldn't go outside in his underwear to get the paper. He said it was okay, because it was only for a few seconds. I hate that, when he just brushes off my opinion. It's not a private yard, and the streetlight is right there.

Anyway, have a good day my friends!

Annie in Delaware

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday!
    Bloodwork this morning. Pick up more honey from beekeeper. Work. DH to chiropractor. Work. Then hair appointment. She is fitting me in at end of her day. Yay!

Tina Pain is not in your head! Keep investigating. I have had two great doctors that listened to me and didn't quit on me. Hard to find that these days.

Annette WOW! Those steps are impressive.

Tracey Thank you for that suggestion on cards. I was thinking something along those lines. I like the lights in jars.

Machka You have amazing energy and organizing skills. I am inspired.

Annie i hope nothing serious. You have been under a lot of stress for awhile. Your body may just be saying rest. Take care of you!

Last night after my brain/emotions got messed up from missed appointment, I had a hard time getting things to work. Finally settled down enough to catch up DH's check book registries, renewed our vehicle registrations, paid a couple bills, read/cleared emails, and got printer hooked up to my laptop. So productive at least.

Gotta get ready for work.

Hugs!
    Welcomes!
    Healing thoughts!

Much love and thankfulness,
    Kylia in Ohio where they are forecasting actual snow ❄️ on Saturday

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake ,but not ready to get up yet.
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Wednesday!
    Bloodwork this morning. Pick up more honey from beekeeper. Work. DH to chiropractor. Work. Then hair appointment. She is fitting me in at end of her day. Yay!

Tina Pain is not in your head! Keep investigating. I have had two great doctors that listened to me and didn't quit on me. Hard to find that these days.

Annette WOW! Those steps are impressive.

Tracey Thank you for that suggestion on cards. I was thinking something along those lines. I like the lights in jars.

Machka You have amazing energy and organizing skills. I am inspired.

Annie i hope nothing serious. You have been under a lot of stress for awhile. Your body may just be saying rest. Take care of you!

Last night after my brain/emotions got messed up from missed appointment, I had a hard time getting things to work. Finally settled down enough to catch up DH's check book registries, renewed our vehicle registrations, paid a couple bills, read/cleared emails, and got printer hooked up to my laptop. So productive at least.

Gotta get ready for work.

Hugs!
    Welcomes!
    Healing thoughts!

Much love and thankfulness,
    Kylia in Ohio where they are forecasting actual snow ❄️ on Saturday

Thanks but sadly these days I have all the energy of a sloth.

We do one thing in the afternoon and that's it for me. I'm utterly exhausted.

I'm hoping this phase of COVID passes soon and I get some energy back or I am going to have difficulty going back to work next week.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,862 Member
    Options
    My intention for the 12 crafts is to at least do 1 different one every month. I color and crochet regularly, but to change it up a little. I’ve already finished one book (which to be honest was close to done at year change) colored and crocheted on the first. Felt ill yesterday so did nothing. But on the First, I made sure to do the things I want to make habit that day. Below, I have my words of the year and their definitions, along with a statement of purpose. Goals in spoiler.

2024 Goals
    Words of the year: simplify, empowered, and authentic.

SIMPLIFY—make (something) simpler or easier to do or understand.
    EMPOWERED—give (someone) the authority or power to do something.
    AUTHENTIC—.
    of undisputed origin; genuine.

I will be authentic and empowered while working to simplify my life.
    RVRita in Roswell, New Mexico
    1. Do 12 different crafts this year: color, draw, sew, crochet, knit, bead jewelry, candles, make cards, origami, scrapbook, macrame, loop looms 2/12
    2. Walk 7250 steps daily. 1/31
    3. 30 minutes activity 1/7 days a week
    4. Journal 1/5 days a week
    5. Meditate 2/7 days a week
    6. Family phone calls 12/12 monthly.
    7. Save $1000 for emergencies by depositing $50 a month into savings and not touching it. 0/1000
    8. Research and apply for senior independent living in Roswell, one a month. 0/12
    9. Drink 8 days a month or less. 0/8
    10. Read 1/24 books this year.
    “I’m learning to treat myself as if I am valuable. I find that when I practice long enough, I begin to believe it.” In All Our Affairs

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God.” —-Romans, The Bible.

Keep it Simple
    But for the Grace of God
    Easy Does It
    First Things First
    Just for Today
    Let it Begin with Me
    How Important is it?
    Think
    One Day at a Time
    Keep an Open Mind
    Live and Let Live
    Let Go and Let God

say the Serenity prayer.
    “Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can, and
    The wisdom to know the difference.”

I also say a step 7 prayer which is very simple and it goes like this: 'God, please help me deal with my character defects.’

The results of your personality test are in. Here they are:
    Personality type: Logistician (ISTJ-T)
Traits: Introverted – 69%, Observant – 58%, Thinking – 75%, Judging – 56%, Turbulent – 54%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement

Joined MFP 5/26/2010

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/vitamin-k2

https://aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2023/anti-obesity-medications-risks.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10389239/

https://roberthajnal.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Robert-Maurer-The-Kaizen-Way-PDF.pdf
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,862 Member
    Options
    ladycopnh1 wrote: »
    Thank you for the welcome. I will try to catch up on all the conversations in my spare time. I am a full-time caregiver for my husband who has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and gastroparesis, and I'm battling a torn meniscus and baker's cyst both in the same knee.
    If anyone has any suggestions for upper body exercises for a 61yr old, I would deeply appreciate it.
    My treadmill is off limits at this point.

Ladycop - NH

I found these online: https://verywellfit.com/seated-upper-body-workout-1231439
    Perhaps they will help you?

Ps.. I used to live in New England, CT. My nephew lives in NH, daughter in MA, mom and my son in CT. My middle daughter lives in central TN and I have other family in AZ, KY, and PA. We are a scattered family but still keep in touch with each other!

Welcome to the best group! I’ve been on this group since its beginning about 10 years ago!

RVRita, NM
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

There's something I want to get my doctor to follow up on with me.

I also have pelvic region issues and itching, stinging feet from time to time. It's been with me for 2 or 3 decades and was worse when I had my periods, just before my periods and maybe on the first day. Then it would go away till the next month. Now it seems to come on randomly.

I've asked doctors about it, but they've always said that the female body can have odd symptoms and as I moved into perimenopause, they told me that perimenopause can produce odd symptoms.

But more recently I've turned to Dr Google and came up with this: Pudendal Neuralgia

https://www.thepelvichub.com/pelvic-health/pudendal-nerve-neuralgia-symptoms
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24438-pudendal-neuralgia
    https://www.melbournepaingroup.com.au/conditions/pudendal-neuralgia
    (and heaps more)

Unfortunately for me, it would appear that mine could be caused by "Some sports/exercises – particularly cycling (especially long distance)" and one of the recommendations is to stop cycling. But that's not going to happen!!

So we'll see. More investigation needed.

Machka in Oz

Thank you for that! I'll take a look. I also have more pain when I do abdominal exercises - lower ones specifically. I won't stop activity either. I hope you figure out your issue too!

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/saag-halloumi-spiced-spinach-halloumi-recipe/

Tina - This is the same as the recipe I use, though I found mine on Instagram. I add a sliced red pepper to the initial onion stage, and I use lots of spinach at the end. I use a very large frying pand with a lid, and just put it over the spinach until it's wilted. The most tedious bit is frying the halloumi, which takes patience.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thank you. I will give it a try. I am always looking for good meat-free recipes to try.

Tina in CA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    I had a post and it poofed..
    Oh well