WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,137 Member
    Options
    anmlmzdiet wrote: »
    @auntiebk
    Oh, don't worry about missing me at 3:30AM. I'm sure I'll be up soon and wondering why no one else is up at that ungodly hour to talk to me, lol.

Michelle in NV

I think your 3:30 am is my 10:30 pm or maybe even 9:30 pm. I'm usually up till midnight. :)

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday!

Ginny It was so wonderful to meet you in person. It was a bright spor in my day! We must do it again.

Welcome to the new ladies! Keep popping in so that we get to know you! These friendships are among my most treasured.

I have read along....kept falling asleep. Not because you're boring, but because I am mentally tired! I have driven an hour away in one direction or another 7 out of past 10 days! I love to travel, but normally only go away from my home /work zone twice a month. Plus all the traveling was to sit down events with little control over food choices. Hard on me. Yesterday was rough! As Ginny said, we get snow so infrequently that people can't drive. I got to end of my road yesterday morning waiting to turn onto main road when I watched a camero top the hill, go sideways, spin a few times, and crash thru the fence across from me. Scary! They missed the trees, thank goodness! I sat while calling 911. They did turn their flashers on after coming to a stop, so no serious injury I am guessing. Part of me wanted to go out and check on them, but the other part said no, stay in the truck. I had to wait about 5 mins for my heart to calm back down and my legs to quit shaking before proceeding on my journey. It took me 2 hours to drive what normally takes me less than 90 mins. Once I got to the main highway it was much better. The drive home was dry roads, just windy with flurries. Last night was trying to sit with DH and watch TV, but there was too much noise. Curled up in bed about 830. Today is work until 2, then headed to Cincinnati for early dinner with friends. DH had wanted to go to farm afterwards, but they got 6" of snow and driveway is slippery according to the caretaker. Not a heartbreak to me to not go this weekend. Next week looks much calmer both weather wise and scheduling.

I must get ready for work. I have read everything, just no notes.

Thank you to those who have shared.
    Hugs to those who need them.
    Healing thoughts for those dealing with health issues.

You all are important to me, so take care of yourselves.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio thankful for reliable vehicles and warm house
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    I had another bath this morning. Hooray! It feels a bit like mountain climbing, but now I have my handholds sorted out, I can just about manage. I put the phone on a ledge next to the bath, so if I was really stuck I could phone John. :p
    Then foot pampering and anointing with oils.

Then listened to a podcast/video on YouTube, by Dawn, Minimal Mom, and someone whose name I missed, but goes under the name of Crappy Childhood Fairy. They were talking about the effect of trauma on cluttering behaviour. Very good, I thought. Also ways to regulate your feelings and emotions.

Then lunch. I am experimenting with less gluten, so pinched Edie's rolls for my sandwich, to see what happens with the bloating I have been having recently. I think it's all part of the same syndrome, but we shall see. I'm doing more research.

Potted up my IP yoghurt and ate the last of the old yoghurt. :D

Then Waitrose came with a small delivery. Just things we had run out of. I'm waiting for John's pension to go in on Thursday before I buy much. The only substitute was Lurpak, for the President butter we normally buy. I said I would accept it, but I explained that they were very different, because President is lightly soured, or fermented, to give it more flavour. We love it. The delivery guy said he would give us the Lupak for nothing! Win!

Now for a light nap.
    Sea bass for dinner with peas crushed in olive oil. I have a new bottle I want to try, because the last one was a disappointment. My old favourite has doubled in price, so can't afford that now. :* I am currently loving Arbequina olive oil, a small fruit, normally from the north of Spain, but my new bottle is the same fruit, but from Italy. We shall see.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • anmlmzdiet
    anmlmzdiet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's 5:00AM here, and as Bob Cratchit would say, "I am behind my time." I wish I could say it was due to sleep, but I've been up for hours now. It was worse when I was working, as I would go to work dead tired and find myself sleeping on my lunches. @LlisInArkansas I too had a couple of years there where that second income didn't come in. Some of that time I had disability insurance to cover me, but that doesn't last forever. Hubby was more than a little stressed, and I could do nothing to help. That's when the work nightmares really picked up. I believe you when you say it will get better, and the dreams will die down; I'm just impatient.

You know, I can't seem to let the argument in the house go. I need to vent a bit more about my oldest daughter in the the house. She's 18 and beautiful, but boy is she judgmental. When I was trying to make some decisions about the argument, she became highly upset and started telling us, mostly me, that we weren't right. She even called our decision stupid, and my words got flung back at me: "Do you hear yourself." Of course, I know where she learned that one from. She felt I should take one side over the other and reward the one who was, in her opinion, right. My stance was that both girls hurt the feelings of the other, and both girls were arguing, so both got the consequences.

Of course, she's young and didn't see it my way, but it really bothered me. Does anyone else have a teenager telling you how to parent; I wonder.

I made a big pot of red beans for dinner. So I had beans and rice without the rice. Oh, the kids and hubby got rice, but I'm trying to work on better choices. Wish I had made brown rice, but things got kind of stressed in the evening. Two of my girls were arguing something awful, and feelings got hurt to the point that there was stress in the house. We don't usually have this kind of conflict and it unsettled everyone. In fact, they all went to bed without solving anything. I hope today will be better.

And for my NES snack, I am eating a banana. Bananas always fill me up, and I know it's something good for me.

@Anniesquats100 I love vultures. we have some out here, but not in large groups. I once saw a committee of vultures hanging out in a large bushy tree. I had never seen so many vultures in my life. It was amazing. And don't get me started on crows. The crows out here are the size of dogs. They kill everything, especially our baby tortoises.

Hey, I have had this song raging around my brain for several days now. Shall I tell you what it is? No? Of course I'm going to tell.

"Oh, give me a home
    where the buffalo roam,
    and the deer and the antelope play.

Where seldom is heard
    a discouraging word,
    and the skies are not cloudy all day."

Well now you can tell me yours. It's mini revenge for me telling mine.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, I listen to the YouTube you posted with James Clear. I was able to listen while riding my bike and then while walking. I've read his book, so nothing was new, but it was good to be reminded of all his wonderful thoughts about habits.

<3 Barbie
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lanette, I listen to the YouTube you posted with James Clear. I was able to listen while riding my bike and then while walking. I've read his book, so nothing was new, but it was good to be reminded of all his wonderful thoughts about habits.

<3 Barbie

Barbie -

Have you listened to any podcasts/interviews with Peter Attia, author of "Outlive - the Science and Art of Longevity"?

I read a tiny bit of the book a few weeks ago, and as I recall he talked about getting healthy and strong while younger for our "future" selves. He mentioned - when we are younger, do we ever think about carrying a 5# bag of groceries in each hand for several blocks when we are older?

That really hit home with me as I carry a 5# weight in each hand while doing my house walking. I have the book on order again from the library, hope to delve into it more next time.

Speaking of books - I'm getting bogged down with the Comoran Strike series. Kind of dark, so many characters it's becoming work to keep track of them. The Strike & Robin attraction is keeping me going, but not sure for how long. :p

Lanette :p
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Today is a great day to eat cheese!.
    pg0btfxvsvli.jpeg
    jpsst9ba0arj.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options

kevrit wrote: »
    So my knitting project will be to make a pair of fingerless gloves. If any of you have a pattern you like for those, I’d be grateful to try it! I still have a bunch of yarn left over! I didn’t realize I had that much stored up! LOL de-cluttering my yarn!

RVRita in Roswell, NM

:) Here is my pattern.

Barbie's Fingerless Mittens

Knit these mittens one at a time with a set of four double point needles size 4 (larger if you knit tight). Use worsted weight yarn. I use wool to be warmer.

Cast on 36 stitches and put 12 on each of three needles and use the fourth to knit.

Knit around in ribbing (K2 P2) for 26 rows (about 4 inches--or longer, if you wish)

THUMB HOLE
    Knit in the opposite direction by knitting on the inside of the mitten (K2 P2), then turning and knitting on the outside of the mitten (K2, P2). Do this for ten rows.

HAND
    Go back to knitting around. Make this section as long as you like (approximately 16 rows)
    Bind off stitches in rib pattern (K2 P2)

THUMB COVER
    Pick up 16 stitches around the thumb hole and divide onto three needles.
    Knit in the round 10 rows.
    Bind off.

You can use any rib pattern. Adjust size by using larger or smaller needles or casting on more or fewer stitches at the beginning.