WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    I received my diploma today, im officially graduated with honours.
    0467ndv3juca.jpeg

The actual graduation ceremony isn’t until next year though. :(

Have a great night.
    Tracey in Edmonton

l278f1uaq8i1.png

• Machka9
    Options
    MFP's Newsfeed - I actually enter MFP on my laptop through the link directly to this group, so I paid zero attention to the newsfeed. I pull my personal stats off Fitbit and keep them and my weight tracking, etc., on an Excel spread on my computer, so unless I'm food logging, the group is the only thing that brings me here. The loss of the newsfeed is only unnerving because there needs to be a benefit for the owners for the forum continue to exist.

Later, y'all,
    Happy Friday,
    Lisa in AR

I enter into the Community Forum and scroll down to the Motivation and Support subforum.

sicsfmun49uk.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    6f2o62zflqvo.png

xbd1nphbtihv.png

The body of water right outside the window of our new house is a shark nursery ... and it is salt water, not fresh.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    Heather - Great to hear you're able to resuming more and more of your usual activities.

Annie - you also are making me smile getting back to horseback riding. So happy the "senior care" is working out for your dad. What a relief!

Sue in WA - what variety tomatoes did you plant? All of mine finally have little ones, and the Glacier has quite a few which are really putting on size. First year for these for me, it will be interesting to see when they ripen and the flavor. My Sungold plant appears to be struggling. Love the flavor but at my house they all seem to come on at once then crack when the weather turns cooler. I placed an order with Totally Tomatoes and have seed for next year - a couple varieties of container type Romas and cherry.

Lisa - Happy 15th Anniversary and hope the doc visits aren't too stressful today. It's good to get caught up on this stuff, but I tend to worry beforehand too.

Ginny - I'm sure you're right - that bump in the road regarding your proposed apartment in the retirement community was meant to be. Doesn't pay to get upset. Glad to hear the steroids are giving you some relief.

Yesterday when I was doing one of my bridging sessions, I heard a teensy "pop" in the SI joint. It remained a bit painful, so I took an ibuprofen before bed. It's feeling a lot better this morning. Need to keep up daily bridging. I've been doing hamstring stretches which are a pain in the rear, literally - the hamstring attaches to the pelvis and in my case, it's on or near the sit bones. :#

Bottom line: We often don't realize how mentally and physically exhausting pain can be until we get relief from it. Especially the insidious kind that gradually chips away at us. I need to think about this daily and keep up with my stretching and exercise programs. Pip - get that boot ready! I'm begging you for my own good! :p

Hidden Causes of Obesity: As usual, a timely ZOE podcast hit my in-box yesterday. An interview with Dr. Louis Aronne, who has been studying obesity for decades. Some things I picked up: a weight loss gives huge benefits in guarding against diabetes and other diseases, and surprisingly, these benefits seem to last for years even if a portion of the weight is gained back! He also talks about Ozempic and similar medications coming on the market. He's very optimistic about them - he had a hand in developing them. Are they the cure-all he thinks they might eventually be? Lots of food for thought here.

If interested, here's the YouTube video (59 minutes) and transcript for anyone who doesn't want to sit through it. :p
    https://zoe.com/learn/obesity-with-dr-louis-j-aronne?utm_medium=email&utm_source=braze&utm_campaign=podcast_newsletter&utm_content=27_06_24_leads_va&utm_term=transcript&lid=mit4z25zpeir

I skipped my normal early morning walk - will be walking with neighbor D instead in a few hours so I'm saving my feet for that. Might be able to hop on the mower this afternoon and take down the dandelion crop in the front yard. :p If Roger across the street gets after his, I might be shamed into mowing at least part of mine.

Make it a fabulous day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Tracey Congratulations!!!!

Allie I am so sorry about your health struggles. It is a process to regain your health. We are here to cheer you on.

I am currently watching a series on the gut microbiome. One of the current syndromes you hear often is Leaky Gut. They did a good job of explaining how our body processes certain foods, toxins, antibiotics, medications, alcohol, and stress can affect the lining in our gut in a negative way. It is a process to regain optimal health by healing your digestion. Time and patience are part of the process.

Take aways included be careful of fads. Just because you heard about it from the internet or even a friend does not mean it is the right thing for you.

One key that came up over and over was to diversify the number of plants based foods in your diet. Many did caution to take this change slowly especially if you have not had much variety before. The last speaker suggested introducing 1 tsp to start and gradually add from there. The idea is to gently nourish your body back to optimal health. Another speaker suggested cooking veggies and fruit well to make them easier to digest. Puree the foods after cooking can also be a place to start, too! Cooking and throwing away the water for foods high in oxalates might be helpful for those with kidney issues. Examples...spinach, rhubarb, beets...

Another important first step is to start removing highly processed nutrient depleted foods. Limiting or removing foods high in gluten is also a place to start. Unfortunately gluten especially the way wheat is grown and processed in this country is very difficult for our digestion system to process. This is true even without celiac disease.

Keeping a food journal not necessarily for calories I am watching for patterns in how my body reacts to certain foods and/or food combinations can be helpful. Do I notice I feel bad or have more pain after eating this way? If I eliminate them I feel better. When I reintroduce them I do it gradually and see if I have the same negative reaction.

I have noticed with severely limiting gluten products (six months now) I have less joint pain, cleared my sinus infection I have had for years, mood is better, less gum disease, and a twenty pound weight loss. Losing weight also helps your microbiome. It is the right decision for me.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Today is Take your dog to work day. I do every day!! 👽 I only have my ears pierced, 2 holes. Any body piercings here?? Give a hug to your family today!!

zoflobnni4d4.jpeg
    3pchrsto6p7t.jpeg

1qgpzbcw7s78.jpeg
    vdz89ndwn8xw.jpeg
    zief831aahwe.jpeg
    x8x6ek3ha1c7.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell 6eq33nuzforz.png

• kevrit
    edited June 28
    Options
    zebfd9cnm8rq.jpeg
    Dinner yesterday, ground Elk with bbq (home made, no sugar) sauce. (not sure how DH cooked it, but it tasted really good. Not gamey at all. Tasked like lean burger!) topped with cheddar, fried onions, peppers, mushrooms, I put on the side, Tomatoes from our garden tossed with olives and a bit of DH’s Italian dressing. A slice of honey wheat bread.

Snack was a cup of cantaloupe with 1 apricot and 5 macadamia nuts, supper was 2 celery stick with 1.5 TB of organic fresh ground peanut butter. And a Lindy’s Italian ice for dessert. And a handful of grapes.

I had 34 calories left after walks and leg exercises. For me, sticking with fruits rather than sweets works better. The dinner I always try to match the “MyFoodPlate” guidelines. Breakfast today was cream of rice cereal with almond milk, butter, and almond butter, 1/2 banana. 341 calories. Higher than I’d like, but all I have for breakfast. I may 1/2 the cereal tomorrow. To many carbs in this one.

I checked how I’m doing with macros and found I’m higher on fats than either protein or carbs. But that works for carb and diabetes control. Should work for my kidneys too and is working for my colitis. I think I got this! 😊

RVRita in Roswell
    wfw4etcja8zd.png

• kevrit
    Options
    njes8f2su6rw.jpeg
    sy34yitvdq3c.jpeg
    2x0dtm1ubz68.jpeg

RVRita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    edited June 28
    Options
    I managed the walk to and from the Co op, plus a little trundle around the small store. I could have done with a sit down, but they didn't have a chair, even though I asked. I found a pallet of boxes outside and rested on that.
    All added up, it was just under half a mile. :D I took one crutch, more to signify that I might need help than through need. My hip was fine, but I do get backache after a while. I imagine it is doing more work than usual, holding things together. It also.protests when I do housework.

Just about to start roasting the chicken and cooking the asparagus. The beans are thawed. The potatoes are cooked. I think I will also add a few jarred artichokes. I will concoct a small pot of garlic mayo, aioli, to go with the warm salad.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Going to take Alfie for a walk,then will go feed Ginger and get her out later and go to a birthday party for a friend who will be 95 tomorrow.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,433 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I really enjoy reading about what you are discovering about your own health and strategies for improvement. You are doing so well and I've been picking up a few tips from you. Thank you.

Lisa - impressive herb haul! And look at those tomatoes... I'm envious. <3 I'm proud that I haven't killed that basil yet sitting in my kitchen window. :p

My project this week - Bay laurel starts. My current bush is in a too small container, needs to go bye-bye and it's best just to start over. In past years I've been successful with cuttings, let's see if my luck holds. I might do a couple more - all I need is one.
    9b0s6zx16j8n.jpg

By the way, I'm rarely on FB these days other than to scroll through and get the weather report and local news happenings, obituaries. I do pop in to "friends" pages but not very often. Nothing personal, just a time factor. ;)

Rita - thanks again for posting your stats and yummy meal. I definitely think healthy fats keep our appetites under control. And by the way, glad to hear your DH is being such an attentive cook - I wonder if your spell a couple weeks ago didn't spark a new interest for him.

Received the info for Monday's class from Diabetes Educator Melanie yesterday. Topic is using calories burned in exercise to help with weight loss and eating additional calories without going overboard to still lose weight. As MFP will calculate. Perhaps she'll build on that with her decision, in my case, to aim for 1500 calories per day which is too few for me, in my opinion, considering I don't have much weight to lose. If I get into "starving" mode from too few calories and too little fat & fiber, the overeating window opens. Wide. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with.

Machka - I have a hunch if my A1C continues to rise, and/or I start getting T2 symptoms, Dr. Lisa will order a glucose tolerance test. I've kind of been doing my own - checking blood sugar 1 1/2 to 2 hours after a meal with carbs several times per week. I generally vary from 110-130, which is good from what the blood sugar testing gizmo insert says.

I think I'd go for a continuous glucose monitor if it came to that. Where I can get a better feel for what foods are triggers. I've read that in some people, potatoes don't make much difference where in others, glucose goes sky high. We are all different. I don't think the standard glucose tolerance test picks up these variables.

If I eventually go that route, I'll need a smarter smart phone. My 5 year old one is starting to fail with some of the apps. It's only 3G and now 5G seems to be the norm. As long as I can call and text, I'm holding off though until I have time to really shop. I bought a new 7" Fire tablet which is light and fits in my purse and should be able to hook up to Walmart and Starbucks parking lot wi-fi so I can check email and Messaging the rare times I need them when I'm in town.

Lanette <3
    SW WA State where sun is out, nice breeze blowing. The mower will be calling my name.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    [quote="SophieRosieMom;c-48164267"

Sue in WA - what variety tomatoes did you plant? All of mine finally have little ones, and the Glacier has quite a few which are really putting on size. First year for these for me, it will be interesting to see when they ripen and the flavor. My Sungold plant appears to be struggling. Love the flavor but at my house they all seem to come on at once then crack when the weather turns cooler. I placed an order with Totally Tomatoes and have seed for next year - a couple varieties of container type Romas and cherry.

Make it a fabulous day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State[/quote]

Sungold are sweet but they do tend to pop when you pick them. I have a few planted around(they came up volunteer) plus one I planted from a volunteer from moms. Most of my tomatoes are doing ok- did find some tomatoes, not quite the size of a golf ball when I was weeding. Some plants are doing great while others are struggling to just survive-all were planted in the same soil at the same time. My TinyTim are seriously still 2 INCHES tall- they are in big pots in the front yard and they haven't grown in months. The new one I am curious to see is Black Truffle. They took a while to take off but they are huge plants now. I have at least 15 kinds of tomatoes this year.
    Checked my cucumbers- a few are about an inch long- Need to get them trellised up.

Lots to get done today. Went out and picked a quart of raspberries to take to mom's. Have a sink full of dishes to do then start cooking. DH picked up shrimp and lobster tails(both on great sale at Safeway- $6 for 2lb bag of shrimp and $5 for two lobster tails. Originally it was for me to take to mom's for our dinner tomorrow night for a late birthday dinner. Then he asked if I had time, to cook a couple of the lobster tails for his mom then asked son's girlfriend if her and son would like some for their dinner tonight. SO- going to cook two bags of shrimp and 3 packs of lobster tails this afternoon. Cut them up to add to pasta. They can cook their own pasta I think.

I need to also pack and do last minute watering beings I will be gone all weeeknd.
    Aqua zumba tonight then home for a quick change and load up the car for the drive to mom's- should take an hour and fifteen minutes to get there- no traffic at that time of night- get up there by 9:30
    Up at 4am tomorrow for food program at the church.
    I have a friend from high school that I haven't seen in over 40 yrs coming out to have dinner with mom and I- surprise for mom and she is bringing home made ice cream
    I will come home some time on Sunday- playing that by ear.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    My herbs did well last summer. This year they all burned. Too hot too fast. I think I will look for some sort of sun shade for them next year, or have DH build me a planter that can be moved and kept in partial to full shade here. I have basil growing in a pot in indirect sun and is doing very well. Going to buy some pine nuts next pay day and make pesto. You all have inspired me there! I have enough dried Italian herbs from last year to last but not parsley. My parsley didn’t do well at all this year and have gone to seed or dried up. I planted smaller early girl tomato plants this year and got some tomatoes already, but small and only a few. There are more ‘baby’ tomatoes but with the heat, I’m not sure they will do much. My peppers, I have 2 pepper plants and one produced 4 peppers that got soft and rotted before ripening. This plant is full of flowers again. The other plant has 3 small orange peppers on it. I need to pick those. I had one orphan potato plant that came up with the snow peas (they did well) and sprang off runner potato plants. I dug up the potato on the ‘mother’ plant and got enough for 1 meal out of that plant but have 2 more small potato plants growing from the runners. I will let them go and hope they produce too. I had planted beets, which started coming up but burned from the heat. In the fall I will try planting more snow peas and the beats. They should do better in the cooler weather. I have onion tops growing, a full pot of them. These are doing very well! At least one crop is coming up nicely. My mums are budding and getting ready for the early summer bloom, and what I thought was passion flower, were daisies that came up. They are doing well flowering. They will come back next year and spread in the bucket, like my mums did.

All in all, pretty disappointed in my garden this year, but still caring for it and taking note of what I need to do different next year (if we are still here!) We are not planning on leaving the park, but must be prepared for anything. If we do leave, of course the planting buckets will stay. We don’t have the room to take them with us. I’ll just start again! Unless I get my herb garden box, from DH that is! LOL

RVRita in Roswell

I use walnuts or almonds in my pesto beings pine nuts are so expensive. With all the other strong flavors(LOTS of garlic and the basil) it doesn't change the flavor a lot- just an option. Almonds give it a bit more texture