Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2024

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    3 wins...Had a healthier meal when I went out to eat with my son, roof here completed and paid for, staying on track with diet

3 improvements son's deck project still in progress, windows cleaning still in progress, more strength training needed

Grateful for DrewB my dog and friends

Intention to keep learning and having an open mind

Excited...Going to State Fair next week

Intention...Like to see happen today get DrewB nails clipped, get outside and enjoy a good weather day, continue to work on home projects.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,862 Member
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,566 Member
    edited August 22
    Barbie - very nice that your daughter has a way to help line up drivers in the future. I just checked - my little county has a type of "taxi" service affiliated with the bus system and serves the area I'm in. $3 plus 30 cents a mile - people can use it to get to medical appointments in town, grocery shopping, etc. It appears it would take a person all the way to Olympia and the hospitals there, I'm going to check. We need to reserve it a couple days ahead of time, a driver with a car does the transport. I see them around town sometimes.

Kylia - so glad you found you DH's missing heart trinket - What a stroke of luck. :p Was my gold necklace there with it? Can you believe how old your grands are already? Amazing since you don't look a day over 40. ;)

Lisa - happy to hear you are feeling better today. Onward and upward. The floors will wait, tell them to mind their own business if you want to put it off another day or two. :p That's my strategy!

Heather - good job doing the floor exercises yesterday ... and getting back up. ;) And lifting weights and wall pushups. You are in great shape. It took me a while, but I eventually came to the conclusion that being busy doing things with others isn't a virtue. When it gets to the point that it's stressful, time to give it up or cut way back on the jaunts and visitors, like you said. Nice to hear you're back writing again.

Tracey- The bus service sounds so dangerous with drug activity. :(

Mo - hope your headache is better today. Interesting that your mom is losing weight - if so, is this intentional? What kind of dog is Rose? She sounds like good company for you- nice to have a daycare to give you some peace, lol.

Annie - I forgot to mention earlier - happy to hear you're able to book the trip to Las Vegas and will have someone to babysit your dad. You need YOU time - something fun to look forward to!

Rita - "There are no bad foods, it's just the amount" - I'm sure that's true. It's the amount that challenges me at times. When my A1C was checked a few months ago and was up, Dr. Lisa said go ahead and have a treat once a week or so, it won't throw me off. So far I really haven't - luckily, sugary stuff doesn't tempt me anymore. I guess good sourdough does it for me but again, hard to stop at one slice. I'm getting tired of nuts for a snack - though they really do the trick filling me up for a bit. The other day I just grabbed a tablespoon of plain cottage cheese. That worked too.

I've been experimenting with some different recipes using almond flour, egg and a few other ingredients, making fake wraps and the like. Not impressed. I threw the last batch over the fence for the crows and even they weren't tempted -- it took several days for them to disappear.

I follow this Dr. Litrel on FB - he seems like a wise fella, wish there were more like him. I ran across one of his reels this morning: "being old is about loss of mobility". Amen, brother. He talks about the benefits of strength training and lifting weights - I need constant motivation to get back in the habit.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1222454038920044

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
  • margaretturk

Today with my bone broth rather than have crackers I am having cucumber slices topped with a piece of avocado and cheese. Adds a veggie and no processed gluten free cracker. Yes crackers are a plant but have little fiber. Cukes with skins have much more fiber!

Rita it surprises me that foods that could spike insulin are not discouraged in your diabetic class and or limited. Sounds like they are still on the calories model. A serving of soda and a serving of almonds are about the same calorie but do not have the same affects on your insulin. Also 30 calories are used to digest the almonds, the fiber in the almonds feeds the gut, there is no fiber in soda nor calories used to digest it. Does your class bring out this fact? When you have too much insulin in your blood that is what is turned into fat. Your body handles fats and sugars differently in the digestion process. The 80's pyramid got it wrong. It is insulin gone awry because of what you eat that puts the pounds on. This is why fiber is your friend. Fiber slows down insulin response. So for me there are food choices that do not love me. Those would be high processed food,sugar, and starches that do not have fiber think potato without the skins because they are not good for insulin levels. My diet is not perfect and I am still tweeking it as I learn more but I no longer eat fried foods, rarely starches without fiber, greatly reduced my sugar consumption when giving up gluten foods. My blood levels will not be tested for a few more months so it will be interesting to see if they follow how well my blood pressure is doing now.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,508 Member
    :)
  • margaretturk
    I wasn't able to add to my above response that what bacteria you have in your digestive system also has a profound impact on your metabolism. They took stool samples from thin mice and gave them to overweight mice and the overweight mice lost weight. When they did the reverse by taking stool samples from overweight mice and giving it to the thin mice the thin mice became overweight.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,766 Member
    Ha! Thought about you Lanette as I was walking back in from Aldi, and I was thinking, "Yeah, the floors are going to have to wait for one more day..." Not quite as recovered as I thought, though I'm certainly on the way.

Somehow, I lost the "1 thing I'm grateful for" in that list above. I'm so lucky to have my family, both near and far. Talked to my son, my daughter and my husband (twice) this morning. Called my sister to wish her a happy birthday, too. I'm so grateful for their presence in my life.

More later, kids,
    One more nap on my list, it looks like,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 12min 2sec, 54elev, 2.83ap, 79ahr, 105mhr, 6.33mi= 584c
    Strava app = 767c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 47.52min, 725elev, 126aw, 106ahr, 133mhr, 17amph, gear44, 13.52mi= 291c
    Strava app = 344c
    Zwift stats- 47.52min, 728elev, 125aw, 47arpm, 14amph, 13.5mi= 344c

Total cal 875. Took it easy today

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,743 Member
    edited August 22
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

Pg 38
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    Oh Kim. It is all so nightmarish. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, especially after being so hopeful for qualifying for Medicare and how it could change your medical care. It is heartbreaking. Do you have a political representative that could help advocate for you?

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,908 Member
    I’ll catch up tomorrow. I’ve read today but didn’t take notes.

Hugs Kim

Tracey in Edmonton