WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2024

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,237 Member
    I go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. I am going to miss the fresh veggies I get at the Farmers Market. We had a late freeze so that has helped keep a greater selection. I am buying brussels sprouts , apples, squash. I also learned today I need to water my strawberries more because of the lack of rain lately. This was the last week for the cheese I like to buy. I bought two packages of herb Gouda today. I was also able to get a pound of ground Bison. Bison will only eat grass so they are leaner and do not have to worry they have been fed non GMO grain.

Dr. Berg did recommend organic grassfed hamburger. This is the only kind of hamburger I will buy. The red meat that should be eaten sparingly if at all is the restaurant burgers, non grassfed organic hamburger and other cuts of beef that were fatten on grain. For me it is the quality of the meat vs. quantity. I can eat a much smaller portion of high quality verses the cheaper quality meats.
  • margaretturk
    7g6ugwpikfyo.jpg
    From a walk...they used this as a backdrop for senior pictures.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,495 Member
    Heather – poor Johnny Hope he’s feeling better real soon

Annie – how about a protein drink? You’d get your protein, yet also be having a liquid

pip- I’m finding that the older I get, the slower I am. I need to use lower poundage weights, too. I remember doing HIIT at 150 then 120. Now it’s more like 120 and 80. Well...I figure “at least I’m still doing it”.

Allie – I would have taken the lobster in a heartbeat as long as there wasn’t any sauce on it.

Debbie – it was nice that the grandpa at least called you.

Mo – we regularly get fresh CPAP supplies. I’m very surprised that you don’t. I, too, love frozen grapes. Have three bags in the freezer right now. What is glamping? Feel better fast

Terri – our clocks go back next weekend (boooooooo)

Jeanne – about dinners: this is what works for me. When I cook, I make a good sized batch of whatever. Then I portion it out into individual servings and freeze those. Every Tuesday (that day just seems to work for me) I decide what we’re going to have for dinner every day of the following week. Then I take out of the freezer the meal (usually just the meat) and put it in the refrigerator to thaw. I have a small calendar where I jot down what we’re having. This is also the place where I note the exercise that I’ll do. Did this help you any? About replying: what I do is keep a Word document open and when I need to reply to someone, I just put their name and then the message (like I just did)

Mo – I’m in NC and everything here is fried, too. I remember one time going to Culvers, it was during Lent, and the only fish they had was deep fried. One of the things I do a lot of times is substitute silken tofu for the oil (one to one, if the box of say brownies calls for ½ cup of oil, then use ½ cup of tofu)

Well, we got more of the Christmas items back in the garage. Then we sawed this chair in half so we can put it in the garbage. See, we had two of these gravity chairs and someone sat in one and it ripped. I was very leery of the other one, I wouldn’t even donate it. So we threw it out

Off to church, now

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,053 Member
    Evening ladies
    Well im basically packed. Tomorrow is a travel day..this food is doing me in..I have a dinner reservation at a posh restaurant and i don't even feel like eating.. might get a pot of mint tea.and see if they have toast.. your paying 85.00 a meal for this place,its prepaid already..and I already cashed out..so hey i didn't use the onboard credit so got 400.00 back.x79n7q3bn1fx.jpg
    This is Captain Kate, she runs this 1.3 billon dollar ship and she is a sweetheart..I look like something the cat draggged in,and she looks gorgeous 😍
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,543 Member
    Newbie question about navigating this thread…is there a way to respond directly to a specific person’s post or is the only way to post is at the very bottom of the thread?

-Jeanne
    Seattle, WA

If you look at the bottom of each post, there's a Quote button. Click that, and you can respond to a person's post. You can leave their post the way it was originally, or delete the parts you're not responding to.

Another way is to use the @ symbol: @JeanneHiggins1 ... as you type after the @ symbol, it will come up with name choices until you find the right one. Doing this should send you a notification.

Or you can just bold the person's name in your response. :)

Machka in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,931 Member
    A quiet day. Just a short trip to our local shops for fresh produce. Elder daughter and elder grandson are coming for Sunday dinner tomorrow. Younger daughter may also be here. Will have roast chicken, potato wedges and loads of steamed veg.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • grandmallie
    One last sleep in the Uber cosy bed.. and up early to travel home..it was a wonderful trip all in all..
  • mcmillonmail
    mcmillonmail Posts: 98 Member
    Barbie, for some reason, I can't make anything bold when posting. :/ I tapped on the B, and this is what I got: "." Isn't that strange?
    XO,
    Mo in Mississippi
  • Machka9
    edited October 27
    Barbie, for some reason, I can't make anything bold when posting. :/ I tapped on the B, and this is what I got: "." Isn't that strange?
    XO,
    Mo in Mississippi

You have to put your text between the first [ b ] which open the Bold and the second [ /b ] which closes the Bold so that you're only bolding the text in the middle. Like this [ b ] Bold [ /b ] ... only, close the spaces Bold . It's BBCode.

When you use the button, highlight the text you want bold, then click the B.

You can do all sorts of things with BBCode.

For example, if you want to purple you can use [ color = #673F9B ] purple [ /color ] ... close up the spaces and you'll get purple.

#673F9B is the hexidecimal code for purple.
    You can find the hexidecimal for all sorts of shades and colours here: https://www.color-hex.com/color/673f9b

You might also be able to just use the term "purple" ... [ color = purple ] purple [ /color ] ... close up the spaces and you'll get purple ... yes, although it is a different shade.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Another bicycle ride ...

jzpyaevmds40.png

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,743 Member
    Jeanne hello to you in Seattle from a gal on the Isle of Whidbey.
    My meal planning is mostly picking out a protein first, then a veggie to go with, and finally some carb to make me happy. I eat different from my husband, so he either makes his own meals and other times I play chef. I like to eat one or two meals a day and do those within a 6 to 8 window. I sometimes am more restrictive and my eating window is noon to about 4 but I haven't done that in a spell. I am not by any means convincing you or anyone to be an intermittent faster, its just what I do. My husband and I do eat meals together during the day, and sometimes I like what he wants. Rarely does he like what I want though. I say to people that the Navy killed his taste buds years ago!😂
    Nice to meet you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Machka9
    Regarding red meat ... there is some evidence that it is harder to digest

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319583

Meat, particularly red meat, is hard to digest so should be eaten sparingly.

Processed and fast foods are often high in fat, making them difficult to digest. They are also rich in sugar, which may upset the balance of bacteria in the gut.

My gastroparesis, which basically means my digestive process is very slow, is one of several reasons I'm not keen on eating red meat.

Another reason is that red meat isn't the best choice for my kidneys because of my chronic kidney disease.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

I have been reading along and not commenting as I have been on vacation, the last more than 3-day vacation I took was in 2018, and that was to attend my god daughter’s graduation and before that I can’t remember.

So I was off for 7 days!!!!, I flew to Boston and visited at my god daughter’s but my god son and girl friend came up to Boston for 4 of the days I was there so I got to know the girl friend, what a lovely accomplished young woman, visit with both the kids, and then to have 3 days with just my god daughter on Cape Cod. It was a delight. I really needed the time away (of course am swamped with work now that I am home).

Yay!!

Really glad to hear you've finally had a few days off!

GodMomKim wrote: »
    My housemate situation is moving quicker than expected (not all bad, just making it busier) but I will say I thought of some of you as I was cleaning out, organizing the linin closet, figuring out what should be kept what was crazy and how to fold and organize to get the most out of the space, freeing up space for my housemate. The linen closet is a large amount of space, 27 inches deep, floor to ceiling and 50 inches long – so far I have cleaned out about 2/3 of it and have donated a 33 gallon garbage bag of stuff, so Luis has a nice size chunk of space, I also have a few tubs of items gathered to put in a yard sale. And 1/3 left to clean out.

As you know I am likely to take in folks and open my home for guests, so I can sleep 6 people on beds, and more if we needed to in sleeping bags - so I carefully counted out and folded bedding for 4 beds (2 of the beds sleep 2 each) Got track of towels and then kitchen towels and tablecloths There is more to go though, and then I need to look at my book collection, I have 2 book cases in the guest room, now Luis’ room, that I need to pick and choose through so I can store 1 or 2 small boxes of books for when it is a guest room again.

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

PS pictures to come.....

Big house!!

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 3,019 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,662 Member
    edited October 27
    Lovely card, Tracey! I know twins are unusual, but baby shower cards could be a crafty seller.
    We never had baby showers in my day, and it does seem kind of greedy. Some young people do have them now, but it's not such a big thing here. I always feel it's tempting fate, as my baby Kate was stillborn. I prefer to give something after the safe delivery.

Clocks went back last night. Of course, I was awake early, but not outrageously so. I hate feeling hungry before my meal times. My stomach is like a dog's! We eat at 8, 12, and 6. :p No snacking, though dinner is an extended meal with a stewed fruit dessert, or cheese and fruit, a bit later on.

I might drag the haggis out of the freezer for dinner. It has been languishing there for months and we have eaten a lot of our usual protein sources while we wait for our pensions to arrive in our bank account. Then I do a Waitrose order. :) I joined the Southern Co-op yesterday, which makes me a member with voting rights, and money off. In general, I am opposed to store cards, which are basically just spies, but the Co-op is a very old mutual society. And their Irresistible range is very good. High welfare meats etc. I prefer to pay more for high welfare and organic products, as there are only two of us. We tend to have vegetarian a couple of times a week, and a couple of fish days. I am especially particular about the sources of eggs and chicken.
    I realise that people with large families may not have the choice, but I am lucky.

The daylight is shining in now, so I don't have to make our morning cuppa in the dark!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• grandmallie
    Here I am wide awake at 1:30 am but now its 3:10, gee you would think I could sleep decent ,but know I have to get up in a few hours..
    Yesterday i hardly ate anything ,the acid reflux is just killer and i had mint tea,a couple of hard breadsticks and a cut up green apple for dinner ,and It still had my stomach churning..Im going to try and get a bit more sleep before I need to get up.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,931 Member
    edited October 27
    Pip: I know what you mean about not feeling the need to push yourself so hard these days. Your exercise schedule is still very impressive.

Allie: It’s good that you have had a great restful holiday.

Tracey: Your cards are always impressive. How’s the new job going? I assuming no dramas.

Heather: I’m also awake early., watching the sunrise.

DH has gone down to make morning tea. I will get up after I drink mine and sort out my catering for later.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another bicycle ride ...

jzpyaevmds40.png

Machka in Oz

Today's walk ...

zwifi86bwivr.png

nfi8s37wnq3d.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited October 27
    John has an emotional support animal now, a kitten named Mabel

Love y'all! 😍
    Lisa in AR

Lovely!!

Rhody is my husband's emotional support cat and it's wonderful to see them together. :)

We're about 1 hour from my SIL now, and did an out and back day trip the first Saturday after we got back from Canada. We'll do that at Christmas too. When you're so close, there's no point staying the night. It's so much more comfortable to be at home with your own family ... in our case, me, my husband, and our little black cat. :)

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,622 Member
    edited October 27
    Margaret - have you ever heard of the Weston A. Price Foundation? Founded in 1999 to disseminate the research of nutrition pioneer Weston A. Price. Nutritionally dense food that our ancestors ate and thrived on. I think Dr. Berg and other nutrition advisors follow their guide, at least partially.

https://www.westonaprice.org/

Here are their 11 principles.

https://www.westonaprice.org/11-principles-overview/

Along that line, Dr. Catherine Shanahan (drcate.com) wrote a book in 2009 called "Deep Nutrition-Why your genes need traditional food". She dives into genetics and nutrition and incorporates many of the Weston A. Price Foundation's guidelines.

I read her book years ago and again, eating like my ancestors ate made sense to me. What did I eat in the 1950's growing up on a farm before high fructose corn syrup, fast food and the ultra processed food came along? Raw milk, eggs and/or meat including pork, beef or chicken at every meal. Fresh garden produce. That type of thing. My ancestors were generally long-lived, likely a combo of both genetics and nutritious food. For me, diabetes and dementia are lurking with possible genetic components, so I'm taking steps to deal with that.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that any of you adopt this diet or will be doomed if you don't follow it. We are all different. You do what works for you. "Keep your eyes on your own plate" is my philosophy. If anyone is interested, here's her whole book in .pdf. It's free! :p

https://ia801600.us.archive.org/28/items/DeepNutritionWhyYourGenesNeedTraditionalFood/DeepNutritionWhyYourGenesNeedTraditionalFood.pdf

Here's a list with her recommendations, and some updated comments by me. This list is found on page 207 in the book. I hadn't looked at it in a while - but I discovered I've been incorporating a lot of it in my diabetes prevention diet. I like baby beef liver and onions, just never think to buy liver. I need to visit the town's butcher shop.

What to eat per Dr. Shanahan:

1. Drink more milk, preferably raw, organic, whole, or at least organic & whole if raw can't be found. I'd update that to add "grass fed." She's not a fan of low fat or fat free dairy.
    2. Sugar-free peanut and nut butters, the kind with the oil on top (all that oil is typically absorbed by sugar molecules in brand-name peanut butters). Cue "Natural" with the only ingredients nuts and perhaps salt. No palm oil.
    3. Buy sprouted grain bread instead of whole wheat or white. Popular brands are Ezekiel and Alvarado street Bakery. These are usually sold in the refrigerated or freezer section because they are preservative free and you need to store them in your fridge. Many are wheat-free as well. I'd update that to add REAL sourdough bread from small local artisan bakeries, where the natural yeast has partially digested the gluten. I buy Kalama sourdough which produced in my area. Gluten sensitive people can sometimes digest this fine.
    4. For breakfast, eat eggs or whole grain cereals (like steel cut oats).
    5. Use fresh, seasonal vegetables instead of frozen whenever possible. Season with salt and add
    generous amounts of butter. Steam vegetables (like broccoli, asparagus, carrots, and cauliflower) instead of boiling, which leaches vitamins and minerals.
    6. Buy lacto-fermented pickles- Bubbies, for example, and fresh (not canned) sauerkraut and use as condiments/side dishes instead of chips or cookies at lunch. Save the juice when the jar is empty for salad dressing and to use as a starter for making your own sauerkraut.
    7. Never use margarine or low-fat, low-cholesterol “spreads.” Buy organic butter from pastured
    animals. Popular brands are Organic Valley and Horizon.
    8. Choose healthy oils like olive and avocado.
    9. Make your own salad dressing. Even easier, pour olive oil then balsamic vinegar over your salad (pouring the oil before the vinegar helps it stick better). Use a ratio of approximately 2:1 oil to vinegar. For extra flavor fast, add 1 Tbsp of the juice in the Bubbies pickle or sauerkraut jars.
    10. Hard boiled eggs with a dash of salt make a great snack. (I need to remember to make some!)
    11. Eat large salads three to five times a week. Don’t bother with iceberg lettuce. For variety,
    experiment with other greens, including radish leaves, arugula, beet greens or whatever looks
    particularly fresh. Add celery, carrots sprouts, capers, pine nuts, sunflower seeds.
    12. Use fresh herbs often. Add basil to salads with tomatoes; add parsley to hamburger; add garlic
    to butter for vegetables; rosemary to chicken; mint to beef stews or fatty roasts; ginger to stir
    fries.
    13. Instead of canned tuna, buy salmon or mackerel with bones in. Mix with olive-oil based
    mayonnaise or small amounts of regular mayo and mustard to use for lunch as a replacement for
    nitrate-laden sandwich meats.
    14. Eat liver once a week.
    15. Eat soups made with bone stock once or twice a week.
    16. Use bone stock rather than water as the base for making rice, mashed potatoes, noodle dishes,
    etc.
    17. For variety, substitute beets or turnips for baked potatoes.
    18. For light desserts that give a sweet finish to your meal, drink Kombucha or wine.
    19. Use bone-in chicken, turkey, and red meats whenever possible.
    20. When eating boneless cuts or beef, like fillet, serve with bone-stock gravy (also known as demiglace).
    21. Buy fatty cuts of meat, like New York strip, and sear the fat on the grill before cooking to
    enhance flavor. Some research is now advising to avoid searing, it can be a carcinogen. Though I love the flavor of an occasional grilled burger.

What You Need to Cut from Your Diet per Dr. Shanahan:

1. Vegetable oil
    2. Added sugar and honey (to tea, coffee, etc.)
    3. Soda
    4. Juice, except fresh squeezed (But why not just eat the fruit? It’s got more fiber and more
    antioxidants!)
    5. Energy bars and “health” bars
    6. Boxed cereals - sugar and other "preservatives" are often added.
    7. Fried fast foods
    8. Powdered “proteins,” and powdered milk
    9. Salad dressings made with any kind of vegetable oil, including canola
    10. Low-fat products, including milk, cheese, salad dressings, cookies and other baked goods
    11. Snacks and desserts—if you want to lose weight.

Lanette B)
    Rainy SW WA State
  • Machka9
    edited October 27
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Well the diet of eggs rice tea and antibiotics doesn't seem to be reducing my diverticulitis episode.

Have a great day! May you be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware

Try the liquid diet ... it might help!

Rice might have too much fibre for you right now.

Compliant Foods
    Fruit and vegetable juice (no pulp)
    Broth
    Soft drinks
    Sports drinks, electrolyte-replacement drinks
    Coffee, tea
    Milk or dairy-free milk alternatives (soy, almond)
    Milkshakes, malts, smoothies
    Clear or creamed soups (thinned, strained, no solids)
    Honey, syrup, sugar
    Gelatin, pudding, custard
    Ice pops, ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet (no nuts, candy, solid toppings/coatings)
    Yogurt (regular or Greek; no granola, seeds, fruit chunks)
    Melted cheese
    Powdered protein, dry milk, other nutritional supplements
    Liquid dietary supplements (Ensure, Glucerna, Boost)
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-you-can-eat-on-a-full-liquid-diet-2507157

3nypbysytiu3.png
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/liquid-diet-for-diverticulitis-7100637

The site above suggests being on the liquid diet for a few days, then slowly reintroducing low-fibre foods. They've got a list of suggestions.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,662 Member
    Lanette - I do all of that, any rarely eat anything on the banned list. In fact, yesterday, I was going to shop at the butcher for calves liver and got put off by the rain. Today I went out and bought some heavenly local cavolo nero from the deli. Will have it with the haggis. We have switched to whole milk after hearing a podcast about the benefits, though we keep a small bottle of semi skimmed for cups of tea. Maybe we'll drop that.
    It was sooooo lovely out there this morning, with a blue, blue sky, sunshine, and a sweet young man learning the trade at the deli. I bought organic local eggs and potatoes. The neighbours were sitting in the sunshine outside the café, chatting with friends. I feel so lucky to live here.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,565 Member
    Tracy ~ Your talent is outstanding and such a gift to be able to give to others to enjoy.

Allie ~ You are to be commended for planning the cruise you have gone on all by yourself. I have never undertaken a lone trip and would have no idea how to plan one. I'm sorry that it seems that much of your time away was dealing with not feeling well. I know you enjoyed spending time with your cousins. And, you are right, the captain is beautiful and kind looking.

Lisa ~ I wonder why Cory would object to John's cat? That seems strange since you both are so attached to Egg.

This week I cleaned along one wall in our very large den. Moved all the furniture and dusted. It took me almost an hour to vacuum, mop, and deal with the spider webs. But, that part looks great. Now to tackle another wall and under our recliners. Shows the result of not doing any real cleaning for such a long time.

Going to grandson's ball game today and it should be sunny and bright! Will be glad to see him and our DnL as Son will be working!

Carol
  • grandmallie
    Morning friends,the cattle call is done and im at the airport.. the self assist luggage thing wow..you get a workout lol
    Oh well.ive been moving much more walking around the ship..so thats good.
    Tracy and Kyle took the kids to kids gym halloween party yesterday.zc840kvko1n5.jpgbsliiaf2uuch.jpg

They had fun
  • margaretturk
    Lanette That is pretty much my diet except for the liver. I still need to try the organic liver I buy at the farmer's market for DrewB.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,184 Member