WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2024

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,184 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/ family- 2hrs 1min 16sec, 139elev, 3.0ap, 82ahr, 106mhr, 14496steps, 6.07mi= 553c
    Strava app= 735c
    Walk home to gym- 11.13min, 1262steps, 2.71ap, .51mi= 66c
    Strava app = 62c
    Treadmill jog- 18.16min, 1.5mi @ 6.6sp, .40mi @ 7.0sp, .10mi @ 9.0sp, 176spm, 150ahr, 174mhr, 9.08min mi, 2mi= 200c
    Walk gym to stores then home- 16.55min, 1952steps, .78mi= 88c
    Strava app= 95c

Total cal 907

Quick 2 mile run (9min mile) , day off tomorrow then the 10 miles on Friday

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited October 23
    Rebecca - In the Air Force, there was always the possibility to cross-train into another rating (AFSC in the AF, or MOS in the Army/Marines). I only know because my ex did that about eight years into his 20. They trained him in San Antonio and reassigned him to Montana, afterward. I think the Navy calls the same process crossrating. I would hope there's a reasonable chance, since he's been in that long, that it will be offered to your son as an option. It all depends, of course, on what the Navy needs... but he might have to push for it if they don't offer it to begin with.

Vicki - It's good to see you... if you can just stop everything in November and just heal, both physically and mentally, you'll make better decisions and give yourself time to understand what you want to do next. The Medicare costs do seem kind of rough, it's one of the reasons I was fighting so hard to get the VA to up my rating. I honestly don't know what we're going to do between the time my husband wants to retire (at 62) and his own eligibility for Medicare at 65. I hope he's still as healthy then as he is now, as we're looking at three years without any form of healthcare for him.

Allie - So pleased you're feeling better. Any results on the covid test?

Margaret - I keep meaning to say how happy you look in your recent pictures as well. Lovely to see you so sunny and joyful.

Heather - I'm so sorry the news on your brother isn't good. Figured, by your good example, it was time to start playing with a palette knife. I own a couple of them, but literally only used them to stir up paint colors on a palette, so this is new for me. See the spoiler.
    hg64pln5uhcb.png
    14a2hmcp4fbs.png
    Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,053 Member
    Didn't end up going to the Dr,feeling much better..still have a nose tickle every once in awhile but much better.no covid.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,171 Member
    🌞🎶Welcome Jeanne If you are looking for support and want encouragement, you have come to the right place. I came here at age 62 after decades of fighting with weight. I started by creating a healthy eating plan for myself with high nutrition and low calories. One day at a time I stayed with the plan sometimes sitting at the computer staring at the clock waiting for the next mealtime. I got good ideas from others on the thread. I hope you will keep coming back.

🚶‍♀️👣🌞🎊Barbie in NW WA
  • JeanneHiggins1
    JeanneHiggins1 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you Barbie! I'm sitting in an office full of candy and trying to not eat any! If I get started, I won't stop! Luckily I have a volleyball game coming up so I will be distracted!
  • pipcd34
    Welcome to all the new peeps

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,237 Member
    LisaThank you!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,931 Member
    🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,743 Member
    Mo - good job on the walking, running and speed walking. Nice to hear your foot is OK. :p Our previous dog was a schnoodle - the "Sophie" in my handle - and she always slept in bed with us. You could tell where her spot was on the sheets too. Little Rosie the schnauzer prefers to be independent and sleeps in several different places in the living room as the mood strikes her during the week. One of her beds or various chairs. I believe she's guarding the front door. ;) And me. Good girl.

Kim - so glad you got in that trip to Boston. Loved the pictures. And nice of nephew to look in on your mom while you were gone, like you said. I really like that kid! <3

Rita - Very sorry to hear of the stressful stuff going on in your life. Is the sun shining where you are? If so can you spend a little time in it? Maybe you already do. ((HUGS))

I just ran across an interesting article about the benefits of "micro walks". https://rollingout.com/2024/10/18/8-incredible-benefits-of-micro-walks/

Tracey - I used to wear a Fitbit and loved it. Then Fitbit decided they were no longer going to support it on their website, everything was moved to a smartphone which I didn't have at the time. So back to the old simple pedometer. I realize I use my little Fire tablet for a lot of things some of you gals use your phones for. When we lost power for a few days several years ago, and I didn't have a smartphone, I took the tablet into town with me and hooked onto Starbuck's WiFi and caught up on emails. And downloaded some library books. :p

Rebecca - are you still primarily using your Fire tablet to zoom/face time with your sons? I'm so impressed with how you can communicate with them and grab photos to show us. Glad you were able to catch up with with middle and youngest, by the way. <3

Vicki - thank you for popping in. Sounds like you and your DH are making some wise decisions to deal with reduced income in your household. I've been in a similar situation where I had to train my replacement. A part of me felt good that someone would be trained to pick up the slack, but another part of me just wanted to get out of there and get on with life and make new plans, which takes time and energy. You have a lot on your plate. ((HUGS))

Margaret - I'm with you on getting rid of the plastics as much as possible. I freeze a lot of foods in wide mouth glass jars and have tossed a lot of the plastic containers I used to use.

Lisa - for some reason, my back doesn't bother me carrying weights. I used to see people carrying heavy weights for a ways at the gym and dropping them (CLANG!) and always wondered what they were up to. When I carry heavier (8 to 10 lbs) it's just walking for short distances, then resting, and making sure shoulders are back - good posture. I don't lift them from the floor, but from the coffee table. Taking it slow and smooth. I guess I have a strong core?

Kelly/KJ - miss you!! Hope all is well at your house and your kids are getting ready for Halloween.

I moved a LOT of leaves yesterday afternoon. They were wet but raked easily. I guess I got a type of "farmer's carry" picking up the garbage can full of leaves and carrying it into the back yard and distributing on top of the thin soil back there. Worked up quite a sweat. A little muscle soreness today, but back and legs are not complaining after doing this "landscaper's carry." :p

Made an appointment for blood draw/labs next Tuesday morning. I'm so interested to see how things are looking (A1C) since I've been on this diabetes prevention protocol. I'm also curious to see my Vitamin D level. I have a hunch it's fairly high since I pretty much zipped through Covid a month ago.

Ordered some parts for my lawn mower yesterday. Even though it just needs a bearing, I had to buy a whole new pulley set. Which is probably OK since everything is likely wearing out, not just that bearing.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Yep that's all I use as I don't have a phone, but we do have the 1957 rotary upstairs. Then the phone that has the answering machine attached. Both of them are plugged into our modem.💖👍🏼 Its nice our family has a group Messenger site, so if I FaceTime with my middle son, sometimes either youngest or eldest will click on. Its such a nice surprise! That happened when I was FaceTiming with my middle son when I was dogsitting. Suddenly the youngest popped on! Yay! I texted both youngest and eldest sailor sons, giving each of them each others cell phone numbers. When eldest pulls in to port in Japan, hopefully they will get together! My youngest is due from a hug from his big brother.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,743 Member
    Rebecca - In the Air Force, there was always the possibility to cross-train into another rating (AFSC in the AF, or MOS in the Army/Marines). I only know because my ex did that about eight years into his 20. They trained him in San Antonio and reassigned him to Montana, afterward. I think the Navy calls the same process crossrating. I would hope there's a reasonable chance, since he's been in that long, that it will be offered to your son as an option. It all depends, of course, on what the Navy needs... but he might have to push for it if they don't offer it to begin with.

Vicki - It's good to see you... if you can just stop everything in November and just heal, both physically and mentally, you'll make better decisions and give yourself time to understand what you want to do next. The Medicare costs do seem kind of rough, it's one of the reasons I was fighting so hard to get the VA to up my rating. I honestly don't know what we're going to do between the time my husband wants to retire (at 62) and his own eligibility for Medicare at 65. I hope he's still as healthy then as he is now, as we're looking at three years without any form of healthcare for him.

Allie - So pleased you're feeling better. Any results on the covid test?

Margaret - I keep meaning to say how happy you look in your recent pictures as well. Lovely to see you so sunny and joyful.

Heather - I'm so sorry the news on your brother isn't good. Figured, by your good example, it was time to start playing with a palette knife. I own a couple of them, but literally only used them to stir up paint colors on a palette, so this is new for me. See the spoiler.
    hg64pln5uhcb.png
    14a2hmcp4fbs.png
    Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Yes I hope he can do that. Unfortunately they have to take turns doing sea duty and shore duty. Being that he can't really go out to sea anymore, its a tough thing. I mean the galley won't cater to his specific dietary needs, nor can he rush to the head if he has to. Its definitely going to be interesting to see what happens.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • mcmillonmail
    mcmillonmail Posts: 98 Member
    One more thing, Margaret. Can you give me an example of fermented foods?
    XO,
    MO
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,931 Member
    🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri[/quote]

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,662 Member
    edited October 24
    Good job, Lisa, on the paintings. You could have the second one printed for bag panels. No idea of cost, but I had one done last year for a tea towel. :D

I typed directly on my laptop today and got everything moved over from my tablet. Yeah! I spend a lot of time on my tablet, probably more than my phone, so it feels like my friend. That's why I like to write on it, but I would save myself work if I went directly to my laptop, which i only use for writing. I use my tablet mainly for this site, banking, Amazon, Zoom, reading The Guardian newspaper, YouTube, and free catch up TV.
    I'm busy deleting photos on my tablet at the moment to make room for a batch of photos I want to download from Dropbox. I like to have backup for my phone photos. I have a Samsung Galaxy. For texting I use WhatsApp most, on my phone. It's great for sharing photos and videos. I also use my phone for Instagram.
    I was writing about the Late-Permian extinction, sometimes known as The Great Dying. Next I'm thinking of going into the family circumstances that meant my mother met my father. Basically, it all started in 1906, when my grandmother's older sister was sent away from the family to 'go into service', after their father died early. Without that seemingly unrelated event, I wouldn't be here. :o:D

Lovely weather here. We are hoping to plant our tulips this afternoon in a pot next to the daffodils, outside our dining room window. Pretty double pink ones.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,846 Member
    Heather - Thank you! But I'm not printing them, just varnishing them with a cool-to-the-touch matte varnish to protect the paint somewhat and then they will become part of a bag. I strip them off the stretcher bars, press the back of the canvas, with the painting face down on a clean cotton cloth. It softens the gesso used to stiffen the fabric, and then I will use them as another part of the fabric. Truly unique that way. These are the ones meant for those people who pay a lot of money for designer bags without thinking about the cost.

Barbara - I think it was you who asked about the satin pocket in the accordion clutch, and the answer is yes, it is there, but you may have missed it, as the inside fabric was a gold color as well.

Mo - My family kept it from me for months that they had given my dead mother's car to my abusive father (also her abuser when they were married). He had wrecked his truck. Just made me even more hurt and more upset with them when I found out. There's an old saying, "You're only as sick as your secrets," and I'm here to tell you, they always get found out in the end. Yours and your husband's choice, of course, but your son will probably find out, and you need to plan for that.

To the couple people who asked about the Tylenol/paracetamol to clean burnt plastic off an iron: You can't use the capsules of course, you must use the tablets - and the video showed that you just rub the tablets on the hot iron... which I did (holding them with tongs, didn't want to burn my hand) and then used a damp cloth to finish wiping it off. The tablets turned black as they lifted the plastic with them, so used three or four. Utterly clean when it was done. I'm still in awe that it worked.

Too early up this morning, but that's OK, I can nap later if I need to. Got things I want to accomplish.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,543 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka, your plan sounds ambitious! Plants are your friends, and you have quite the green thumb, heck hand!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I'm still learning about the plants. That's not my strong area.

I'm more excited about digging and moving rock!! My first 2 steps involve moving rock, so that's good.

Hopefully it will all come together the way I envision.

M in Oz

Its like Natures Gym but in your yard!😁👍🏼
    I'm excited to see it! As a child, my Mom got Sunset Magazine delivered, and the before and after photos were always so amazing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Inspired by this, I have taken a number of before shots. :)

Machka - moving all of those pebbles would be a pain. We’ve removed them from here. I don’t like how dirty they end up looking.

Tracey in Edmonton
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka will you reuse the pebbles in your dry stream? Wise words to Annie, not her fault, just the disease.

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

It's a lot of work to move those pebbles!

And yes, I plan to reuse them in my next drystream. They drystream needs a basic base layer of inexpensive rock to kind of hold it in place, then I put the more expensive river stone over top.

Machka hope he “Northern” in the murder hornets’ name means Taz beekeepers are safe from them. Sighted on Oct 15 near Port Orchard, WA. https://agr.wa.gov/hornets
    A sepia toned silent movie to present Non Verbal Communication, Brilliant! And I loved seeing you and Rowan back in the day.

Fortunately, the fairly decent gap between mainland Australia and Tasmania means that Tasmania doesn't often get what mainland Australia has. Our biosecurity is fairly tight. For example, if you were given apple slices as part of your meal in a plane, and didn't eat them but instead put them in your bag for later, you'd be pulled up and the apple slices would be confiscated.

Machka had to laugh that the part of gardening you’re really looking forward to is digging and moving rocks. ;) Know your passphrase security advice is sound but I just can’t do it. I have a few passwords, with variations to meet length and character type variations that I use for most of my accounts. Keep them in a little notebook in my desk. If someone gets into our house and study they’ll get more important things than my passwords. We do what we can do.

I like creating the landscape itself. :)

I also like creating the passphrases ... they are funny little short stories that amuse me and would make very little sense to others reading them. :)

Machka in Oz

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,565 Member
    :s
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,662 Member
    edited October 24
    Planted the tulips! At last! One of those jobs you keep putting off and then it takes 20 minutes, including finding a suitable pot, deciding to use the bird bath table to raise it up to window level, finding some drainage stones, and some feet, packing the bottom with brown paper, filling it, planting the bulbs, and topping it off. And watering it.
    We also covered it with a roasting grid, in the hope that it might deter the squirrels, but they will probably just knock it off. The daffodils one has a more secure bbq grill on it.
    Anyway, job done! o:)

Because they are just outside the window, it's so worth doing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JeanneHiggins1
    JeanneHiggins1 Posts: 8 Member
    Good morning from Seattle! Hope everyone has a great day! I’m proud of myself for actually tracking all my food yesterday! That’s a first for me. Today will be tough. Lots of meetings and then putting on Senior Night for my athletes where there will be lots of treats and pizza. Staying connected to “my why” helped yesterday. -Jeanne
  • pipcd34
    Well had a lovely dinner again had a few bites of french onion soup and some of the turkey dinner,but i must admit did polish off the creme brulee..
    I went to one show,but have come back up to my room and relaxed in this very very comfortable bed..
    Right now we are drifting off the coast of Curacao. And we will be docking in the morning.

Sounds like you’re having a great time

• margaretturk
    edited October 24
    Mo fermented foods include...Kombucha, yogurt with no sugar (I make mine staring with a good brand like Stonyfield organic whole milk), if milk intolerant there are those made with coconut milk, sauerkraut found in refrigerated section of grocery store, Kimchi fermented cabage. also found in refrigerated section. Natto fermented soy. I did find some fermented veggies at the farmer's market. Kosher pickles in the refrigerated section. Fermented apple cider vinegar (also good for acid reflux.) Some of these are high in salt like the sauerkraut , pickles, and Kimchi. I only had about a tbsp if I eat these and half a pickle slice if I eat a pickle. Apple cider vinegar should never be drunk straight. Start small tbsp added to small amount of water about 4 oz. Rinse mouth after drinking because it is acidic.

If not used to fermented foods always start with a small amount and build up to a serving size of the fermented food.

If one has been diagnosed with SIBO that in an small intestine bacteria overgrowth. Dr. William Davis author of Wheat Belly has a yogurt recipe to aid in the recovery. Can be made with nut or soy milk He makes his with specific probiotics. Through diet he was able to cure himself of type 2 diabetes.

Over the past year I have listened to many podcasts and YouTube videos and video summits that have explored how the gut effects our overall health and how dysbiosis in the gut can lead to many of the chronic illnesses we are seeing today...skin conditions, cancer, dementia, allergies, asthma, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, obesity ...Unfortunately many things in our current lifestyle have negative effects on our guts. The SAD diet, stress, lack of quality sleep, isolation, lack of exercise (too much sitting), toxins in our water, air, and soil, antibiotics (gylphosate used in GMO farming and in the fed to non organic meat is an antibiotic).

I believe the future of medicine will be through treatment of the gut. One roadblock is big Pharma. There is a lot of money being made in the treatment of symptoms.

As I have said and repeated in many of my posts I do the best I can to mitigate the negatives of our current lifestyles...my diet, lowering my stress, try to sleep better (this is the hardest one for me), exercise (walking Drew, gardening, stretching), social (being here, singing in choir, part of a art painting group, time with family and friends), trying to eliminate what toxics I can from my home and personal products.

I will admit I sound like a broken record. When I take the time to write out these ideas I am doing it to help myself stay on track in my current habits of trying to stay as healthy as I can. Everyone has to find what works for them in their current lifestyle. It has taken me about a year to develop the habits I have now. Good health is a marathon not a sprint. I am still open to learning and to changing my mind in the process of learning better ways to take care of myself and to help those around me.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,565 Member
    I don't know where that angry face came from. I was trying to put a smiley/heart!

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    A picture from the concert DS and I attended on our trip. It does not capture the sun shining through the stain glass. We were up in the balcony. It was a treat!
    pszx893fzbt9.jpg
  • pipcd34