I Ate 1500cals at Once Last Night - WTH?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The problem here isn't that you ate 1800 calories in one sitting, thus blowing by your goal.

The problem is that you're not taking responsibility for it. You're blaming it on low blood sugar, which is absurd. You "weren't in your right mind" or "when you have low blood sugar you need to eat" or whatever.

No. You messed up and binged. It had nothing to do with your blood sugar. You decided to stuff your face. Own that decision.

I guess you have never experienced seriously low blood sugar.

Experiments have now confirmed what the hypoglycemic person experiences. Low blood sugar triggers hunger -- especially carbohydrate craving. In addition, the brain is starved for its preferred fuel: glucose. At rest, the brain consumes one-third of the body's total glucose requirement. The brain is a hungry, rapidly metabolizing organ, and <b>fuel shortages in it create problems with concentration, memory, and mood. A recent study showed that individuals with low blood sugar scored poorly on tasks requiring memory, concentration, and reasoning.</b>

But perhaps most important, low blood sugar triggers an outpouring of counterregulatory hormones (catecholamines) from the adrenals. These hormones oppose the action of insulin and push blood sugar levels back up. Unfortunately for the hypoglycemic person, these "rescue" hormones are the very same ones that produce the adrenaline rush of a fight-or-flight reaction. The results are symptoms like<b> palpitations, sweaty palms, nervousness, tremor, and sometimes even severe panic attacks.

It ain't no picnic. Your brain is starved of glucose and your body over rides your normal cognitive mechanisms in order to procure that glucose.

So what you're saying is . . . I need to stop going to bars to pick up women, but just start carrying candy and looking for hot, symptomatic diabetics?
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you ate properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you dosed your insulin properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you were properly prepared for lows like a responsible adult then you would not have binged. If you were paying attention to your own damn body you would have realized you were getting low and eaten something before you were out of your mind.

Now, as you did none of the above which are all preventative, the sugar going low was your own damn fault. Own it, learn from it and move on. You have bigger issues than a one night binge.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you ate properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you dosed your insulin properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you were properly prepared for lows like a responsible adult then you would not have binged. If you were paying attention to your own damn body you would have realized you were getting low and eaten something before you were out of your mind.

Now, as you did none of the above which are all preventative, the sugar going low was your own damn fault. Own it, learn from it and move on. You have bigger issues than a one night binge.

Don't hold back there, say what you really think :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You clearly don't understand the guessing game that is diabetes. You eat a meal, and then inject. But if you under or overestimate by even a little your blood sugar shoots up, or you crash. It is a daily ongoing struggle, and I'm dismayed at the lack of basic understanding of the mechanisms at play here.

It is not a matter of fault, except perhaps one could blame the diabetes. But certainly, even the most careful of diabetics run into problems from time to time. Perhaps you learn a little about the disease before you start throwing stones.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 1 diabetic and I would binge whether I had low blood sugar or not. I used to beat myself up over it. I realized, I won't get to my goal if I stress about it, so I evaluated why I got the low blood sugar so it wouldn't happen again. Use it as a learning tool.

I vote for this as the best advice. Both 1) avoid low blood sugar 2) make sure you keep juice around if that's the best way to resolve the issue. If you mess up and aren't able to do 1 and 2 once in a blue moon, then it's a blip and don't worry about it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MakeItStop.gif
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

You clearly don't understand the guessing game that is diabetes. You eat a meal, and then inject. But if you under or overestimate by even a little your blood sugar shoots up, or you crash. It is a daily ongoing struggle, and I'm dismayed at the lack of basic understanding of the mechanisms at play here.

It is not a matter of fault, except perhaps one could blame the diabetes. But certainly, even the most careful of diabetics run into problems from time to time. Perhaps you learn a little about the disease before you start throwing stones.

Everything you've said is completely true, I am sure. I won't question as you clearly know more about diabetes than I do.

But the point remains that everything you do is your responsibility - whatever the reason. Ironically the only person saying that she should be ashamed of what she did, is the OP. We're just saying 'accept that it happened, accept that you could have done something different, and learn from it'. It's the denial, and avoidance of responsibility that has people riled up.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself, because you're worth that. But don't forget, so that the next time this happens (should it happen), you can put a stop to it before you go overboard.

Be good and kind to yourself.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Barbara,
    To prevent this fro happeneing again. Keep glucose tablets in your house and take 4-8 depending on your blood sugar. You can also use honey (one tablespoon =15 grams carb) or 8 ounces of skim milk if you don't have juice. I don't think people binge on honey and skim milk.

Good luck to you and try to log everything. Your journal is just for you.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh man, a couple weeks back I had a piece of ribeye that was at least 1700 calories on its own.

So good.

Always acceptable to go over for ribeye!! :love:
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Right, because 90% of diabetes treatment isn't about preparation and understanding. Yes sometimes **** just happens, most of the time however there are any number of steps that can be taken to help someone control their sugar issues. Part of living with any long term health problem is being honest with yourself and as OP won't even log what the binge was illustrates the whole "bigger issues than just a one night binge"
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Part of living with any long term health problem is being honest with yourself and as OP won't even log what the binge was illustrates the whole "bigger issues than just a one night binge"
    A bit like flying a plane while refusing to look at some of the instruments. :noway:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Right, because 90% of diabetes treatment isn't about preparation and understanding. Yes sometimes **** just happens, most of the time however there are any number of steps that can be taken to help someone control their sugar issues. Part of living with any long term health problem is being honest with yourself and as OP won't even log what the binge was illustrates the whole "bigger issues than just a one night binge"

But why log the binge? It serves no purpose. The reason for the binge, was a bottomed out blood sugar episode. She has already addressed why that happened and what kind of drinks she needs to keep on hand for the next time. Logging binge foods is only helpful when you binge due to certain food triggers. A binge after low blood sugar is simply the body's emergency response to a serious medical event. It has nothing to do with food triggers.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But why log the binge?

Because "I'm not logging that because I'm ashamed and scared of it" is such a healthy behavior and attitude.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

But why log the binge? It serves no purpose. The reason for the binge, was a bottomed out blood sugar episode. She has already addressed why that happened and what kind of drinks she needs to keep on hand for the next time. Logging binge foods is only helpful when you binge due to certain food triggers. A binge after low blood sugar is simply the body's emergency response to a serious medical event. It has nothing to do with food triggers.

It serves as a record of how much she ate this week, and she can see any corresponding results in weight gain/loss, etc. Maybe she might want to eat just a little bit less the next few days or exercise more to try to offset the binge. It is still useful to log it even if it is not about identifying a trigger. In several weeks, she can look back and see the record and see how it affected her weight.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't lose any weight. My body is stuck between 150-155lbs so i just eat right and lift heavy. See what happens.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and delete the "Quick Add Calories" and actually log what it was you ate last night. Be more accountable to yourself.

NO! I don't want too. It bothers me what I ate. I need to try my best to avoid lows because they are what cause my bingeing.

Even though you had a really high calorie dinner, your diary only shows you were over goal by about 1000 calories. That's less than 1/3 lb (3500 cal = 1 lb). Just get back on track and move on.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    But why log the binge?

Because "I'm not logging that because I'm ashamed and scared of it" is such a healthy behavior and attitude.

1. She wrote that "it bothers her what she ate". Engaging in a little creative journalism there?
    2. She did log it, since everyone was so insistent that she did.

Your point??
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Not logging on MFP =/= not being honest with oneself. Her diary is open to the public. Maybe she just doesn't want the judgey people that like to curse at others for their mishaps to jump all over her little mishap.'

She clearly IS been honest. She posted the calories and a post about the binge. What difference does it make which foods she ate?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

For several reasons -

1. Your diary should be an accurate reflection of what you put in your body. Disassociating the two leads to denial and thinking that only things you logged actually went into your body. That little voice in the back of your head that says that as long as your diary reflects what you wanted to do it's ok - even if you did eat that thousand calories of cookies. And yes, that precise voice has spoken in my head, and I shut it up and logged the cookies.

2. It turns blood sugar into a re-usable excuse. Trust me, the threshold for what will be considered an understandable slip will drop and drop. Eventually you'll be yelling 'blood sugar!' every time you see a piece of cake.

3. Because the OP needs to start coming to terms with food, and having a healthier relationship with it. There is nothing wrong with eating poptarts, if it's within your calorie and macros limits, and you've met your micros through nutritious food elsewhere. I dare say that if the OP had been a little more permissive with food in the past, this binge wouldn't have been half as bad, and would have been easier to stop when the obvious physiological need was met.