I Ate 1500cals at Once Last Night - WTH?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Considering that T1 diabetic low blood sugar can be fatal, quickly, it's a good thing that you reacted and ate. Sorry that that happened--it's a PITA to live with T1 diabetes.
  • ksturgill03
    Options
    I binge eat when I am upset so I understand completely. Usually it is Pepperoni Pizza or Ice Cream (I can eat half a pint of ice cream in one sitting. Don't beat yourself up. Just get back on track and if you can walk a mile tomorrow and Sunday and you'll be able to burn at least 900 calories.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, are you aware of something called "insulin shock?".

I dont understand how someone with alleged diabetes would not know such things nor know what to do to prevent it as a usual daily thing??? unless maybe someone is making up stories about the whole thing about being diabetic?

its nothing to play with from what i understand about it.

Depending on the severity of the low blood sugar, a diabetic may not even have the awareness to get to the supplies they need in a blood sugar crash. We're so used to hearing about type 2 that people don't really understand the delicate balancing act involved in attempting to manage the disease of T1. Some diabetics crash so quickly that they don't even get the awareness to go eat but instead act uncharacteristically, pass out, lapse into a diabetic coma, and without assistance, they will die. It's one reason T1 diabetics are encouraged to wear medical ID necklaces-it's not possible to be perfectly prepared and does not mean she is playing around with it. A T1 diabetic has every right to be upset when it's all over with about an excess 1500 calories and it doesn't mean she doesn't care about her condition.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP, are you aware of something called "insulin shock?".

I dont understand how someone with alleged diabetes would not know such things nor know what to do to prevent it as a usual daily thing??? unless maybe someone is making up stories about the whole thing about being diabetic?

its nothing to play with from what i understand about it.

Depending on the severity of the low blood sugar, a diabetic may not even have the awareness to get to the supplies they need in a blood sugar crash. We're so used to hearing about type 2 that people don't really understand the delicate balancing act involved in attempting to manage the disease of T1. Some diabetics crash so quickly that they don't even get the awareness to go eat but instead act uncharacteristically, pass out, lapse into a diabetic coma, and without assistance, they will die. It's one reason T1 diabetics are encouraged to wear medical ID necklaces-it's not possible to be perfectly prepared and does not mean she is playing around with it. A T1 diabetic has every right to be upset when it's all over with about an excess 1500 calories and it doesn't mean she doesn't care about her condition.

Thank you for clearing that up ... :)
  • shcolton85
    Options
    If you ate properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you dosed your insulin properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you were properly prepared for lows like a responsible adult then you would not have binged. If you were paying attention to your own damn body you would have realized you were getting low and eaten something before you were out of your mind.

Now, as you did none of the above which are all preventative, the sugar going low was your own damn fault. Own it, learn from it and move on. You have bigger issues than a one night binge.

You clearly don't understand the guessing game that is diabetes. You eat a meal, and then inject. But if you under or overestimate by even a little your blood sugar shoots up, or you crash. It is a daily ongoing struggle, and I'm dismayed at the lack of basic understanding of the mechanisms at play here.

It is not a matter of fault, except perhaps one could blame the diabetes. But certainly, even the most careful of diabetics run into problems from time to time. Perhaps you learn a little about the disease before you start throwing stones.

Everything you've said is completely true, I am sure. I won't question as you clearly know more about diabetes than I do.

But the point remains that everything you do is your responsibility - whatever the reason. Ironically the only person saying that she should be ashamed of what she did, is the OP. We're just saying 'accept that it happened, accept that you could have done something different, and learn from it'. It's the denial, and avoidance of responsibility that has people riled up.

Taking responsibility is essential. And diabetes is never a guessing game. Monitoring is the key. Forgive lapses and never deny.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My husband is hypoglycemic and we were always told the rule is 15 grams carbs (half a soda) every 15 minutes till you test normal. If you take in too many at once you can put yourself in the hospital or go to the extreme and go high in your sugar count and put yourself into a diabetic coma. A healthy option is those vitamin C tablets you see in the stores, they taste great have enough carbs and not too many calories.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and delete the "Quick Add Calories" and actually log what it was you ate last night. Be more accountable to yourself.

NO! I don't want too. It bothers me what I ate. I need to try my best to avoid lows because they are what cause my bingeing.

The only person you're hurting with your dishonesty is yourself and your body. Be honest, and hold yourself accountable! We all muff up it's really no big deal
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you ate properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you dosed your insulin properly your sugar might not have gone low. If you were properly prepared for lows like a responsible adult then you would not have binged. If you were paying attention to your own damn body you would have realized you were getting low and eaten something before you were out of your mind.

Now, as you did none of the above which are all preventative, the sugar going low was your own damn fault. Own it, learn from it and move on. You have bigger issues than a one night binge.

You clearly don't understand the guessing game that is diabetes. You eat a meal, and then inject. But if you under or overestimate by even a little your blood sugar shoots up, or you crash. It is a daily ongoing struggle, and I'm dismayed at the lack of basic understanding of the mechanisms at play here.

It is not a matter of fault, except perhaps one could blame the diabetes. But certainly, even the most careful of diabetics run into problems from time to time. Perhaps you learn a little about the disease before you start throwing stones.

I saw this and almost laughed out loud.

Diabetes is not a "guessing" game esp when you have to inject. YOu have specific qty to inject a specific number of times a day. Some 1x, some 2 and some even 3.

If you are taking control of your life you inject then you eat (within a reasonable time) or you crash, you can't talk, you can't see, you shake, you sweat, you almost pass out in which case most reasonable adults who are taking responsiblity for their own health keep glucose handy (either pills or liquid) and if you choose not to do that you know exactly what to do....you don't binge on 1500 calories.

All I have to say is own it, you did it not the disease and I am with the poster who said if you had done the right things you wouldn't have been there.

Note this is coming from someone who knows.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar is tested 4-5 times per day. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. I take 2 shots of long lasting insulin - one in am and one in pm and i take short acting insulin for each meal i consume.

When i had the low last night it was because i took my short acting insulin for the meal i ate. It was turkey with some gravy so there were no carbs BUT every time i eat just meat (experience) my blood sugar rises with no insulin SO i thought i should take a couple of units to account for that. I was WRONG this time for some reason i do not know SO therefore, I got low at the grocery store with my husband and i sat in the car and ate a nectarine. We drove home and i was still feeling really low so i raided the cupboards til i felt better.

Today came, i got up, tested my blood, took insulin and ate healthy all day and worked out with weights this evening. Yes I take my disease seriously because it is serious. It can cause blindness, heart attack, kidney failure, amputation and the list goes on! Although id like to point out that those complication ONLY come from one's blood sugars being high. Don't get me wrong, lows are dangerous too, but in the present time. High effects danger in the long term.

No one but no one except a Doctor should be "varying" or "changing" or "Guessing" at their insulin injections holy crap.