What Machine is your favourite?

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    For all of you strong ladies suggesting there is no use for machines, your first day at the gym did you head straight for the squat rack? Did you never use any machines when you started? If you did that is awesome.

I only use a select few machines these days as I found found love for free weights and the barbell. However, when I first started a year ago I would never have considered jumping into the squat rack or free weight area of the gym the day I joined. It was scary, indimidating. I stalked women from a far that were doing weights (not creepy i swear, just observing:)), did a lot of research online searching bodybuilding.com for workouts, correct form and started with a generic base of machines and dumbells.

OP, IMO machines are not useless but once you start to work with free weights you will likely never go back! If there is a trainer at your gym who gives free fitness consultations (mine offered that) they may be able to get you started. Stong Lifts and other programs alike are great but if you are anything like me it was hard to start there.

This is a valid concern, and there's nothing wrong with machines (I use them in my workouts regularly). However, I do believe that free weights being more intimidating is insufficient as a reason not to suggest their use from the beginning. If someone, male or female, opts against the free weight section and does machines for a while instead that's fine, it's better than them being on the couch. That doesn't mean I'm not going to advise the best possible means for success: starting light with compound exercises that target your whole body when considered together and supplementing as needed with assistance exercises and mobility work.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    For all of you strong ladies suggesting there is no use for machines, your first day at the gym did you head straight for the squat rack? Did you never use any machines when you started? If you did that is awesome.

I only use a select few machines these days as I found found love for free weights and the barbell. However, when I first started a year ago I would never have considered jumping into the squat rack or free weight area of the gym the day I joined. It was scary, indimidating. I stalked women from a far that were doing weights (not creepy i swear, just observing:)), did a lot of research online searching bodybuilding.com for workouts, correct form and started with a generic base of machines and dumbells.

OP, IMO machines are not useless but once you start to work with free weights you will likely never go back! If there is a trainer at your gym who gives free fitness consultations (mine offered that) they may be able to get you started. Stong Lifts and other programs alike are great but if you are anything like me it was hard to start there.

ETA - to answer your question my fav machines now are lat pull down, seated low row and assisted chin up/dip. Those are the only ones I still use.

I have always been comfortable using free weights and have never had a problem using the squat rack, so yes, the first day I walked into a gym, I used the squat rack (probably not correctly though, but that is ok, I was learning), but I also used other machines as well (because I thought I had to). It has only been in the last year and a half, though, that I have discovered that focusing on the big 3 (squats / DL / BP ) form and technique, with the goal to lift heavy, was waaaaayyyyy more fun for me and more beneficial in the long run. I wish someone would have clued me in on this before I ever got started many moons ago, because I wasted a lot of time doing minimal effort on the maximum amount of machines I could find, boring myself to tears. I didn't know I could just stay in the squat rack.

I'm not saying there is no room for the other machines, I have found uses for them and will continue to do so, but I just don't make them my main focus anymore because I love, love, love, love, love the challenge and full body work I get from learning how to squat correctly, etc.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

This is a valid concern, and there's nothing wrong with machines (I use them in my workouts regularly). However, I do believe that free weights being more intimidating is insufficient as a reason not to suggest their use from the beginning. If someone, male or female, opts against the free weight section and does machines for a while instead that's fine, it's better than them being on the couch. That doesn't mean I'm not going to advise the best possible means for success: starting light with compound exercises that target your whole body when considered together and supplementing as needed with assistance exercises and mobility work.

Not disagreeing with you, I wish I had started my current strentgh routines sooner! For me, it was really hard as a beginer...possibly similar to OP...I feel like you have to start where you are most comfortable, which unfortunately for me was not free weights and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Not disagreeing with you, I wish I had started my current strentgh routines sooner! For me, it was really hard as a beginer...possibly similar to OP...I feel like you have to start where you are most comfortable, which unfortunately for me was not free weights and I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with that!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started on machines, because I was a member of Planet Fitness and there weren't good free weight options. I'm happy with the results I got from machines, but switching to free weights... I'm still amazed at what a difference it made.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Not only did it improve my body quicker than I ever thought possible, but it was humbling... I went from thinking I was all kinds of badass because I could chest press my body weight on the machine, then barely be able to bench press half of that when I first switched to free weights. And my strength improved faster on free weights, too.

The only injury I had while lifting was pinching the side of my hand in the uprights when finishing up a set bench pressing.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Though I prefer free weights over machines, the question was about machines...so my favorite machine would be the assisted pull up machine... Because my dream is to do pull ups with my tiny T-Rex Arms and that assisted pull up machine makes me feel like gorilla instead of a T-Rex.

(And, I do not like gyms. I just a free trial membership in the mail sometimes. )
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP - ignore the guy telling you that "females" shouldn't do or not do this or that. That alone should be a clue to his mindset. My wife and I primarily focus on compound lifts with free weights (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, powers cleans and the like), with a limited amount of isolation movements, and limited machine work. Do some reading that has been suggested (NROLFW, Stronglifts, Starting Strength and the like), get in the gym, and find what works for you. Never let some judgmental person with issues tell you what you are or are not capable of. You have to decide that for yourself.

Some additional thoughts:

(1) Work on form. I strongly suggest Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and his online videos for this reason.

(2) Be cautious about gym trainers as most of them have very limited training and little to no experience with lifting. Read, look at videos, and if you can actually find a truly qualified and patient (the ones that actually listen and help you where you want help), then stick with him/her. A big clue here is if you ask about free weights and the trainer sticks you on a smith machine. If that happens, say "thank you" and walk away.

(3) Get involved on here and join some of the many lifting groups.

ETA: And, to answer your original question, my favorite machine (aside from the squat rack and power cage) is the prone leg curl. I use it every leg workout, after squats and deads.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The one that cuts the meat for my sammich.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    meh. lifting weights is sooooooo 2012... the latest fitness craze is prancersize!

happy-prancing.gif
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    a peach...he's a peach...

OP. Start with what makes you comfortable.

Some women(really should be people, boys AND girls), as some have already said in there, like to start with the machines, it seems less daunting.

Some women(really should be people, boys AND girls) start with free weights. That seems less daunting.

For me personally, I started with free weights. It seemed less frightening to me, to just pick up a barbell or a dumbbell and check out some moves on the internet. There are great books and you tube videos on form, I asked several friends on here about good videos that emphasized great form and books.

I found the machines intimidating, all those pulleys and cables and it just overwhelmed me on an emotional level when I started in the gym all by myself not really knowing what I was doing. To ME, the free weights were so much easier.

What do I love? I love the bench and the squat rack. But that is me and maybe some day I will love the pull up bar too but right now it's on my "working to love it" list.

There's nothing wrong with machines and there's nothing wrong with free weights, there is however something wrong with believing a certain gender should be assigned to one or the other.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Acutally I only criticized those who made it personal. Otherwise I provided examples. Read through the mess above again and you will see I am correct.

Personal attacks are personal attacks. Defend your stance with what you think to be the merits of your opinion, not with insults to people's physiques.

I did since the first instance.

I see on average 50 males in the weight room on a normal 530-715pm workout. Maybe 1 female; then Hammer equipment is all male; Life-fitness machines, of which there are two-three redundancies are 70% female, 30%male.(latter primarily pulldowns or rows) This is my regular gym I have been attending for years. I take the young females from work there, appear similar to the OP as stated, and they unanimously prefer machines and abs related exercises. Easier to start on.

This has been the pattern for years. There is a reason for the consistency.

NB: You have taken a few shots at me, but I do note you earned your body. No complaints on my part.
    Just because you have noticed something at your gym does not make it the norm or make you right. My gym is not like that at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Acutally I only criticized those who made it personal. Otherwise I provided examples. Read through the mess above again and you will see I am correct.

Personal attacks are personal attacks. Defend your stance with what you think to be the merits of your opinion, not with insults to people's physiques.

I see on average 50 males in the weight room on a normal 530-715pm workout. Maybe 1 female; then Hammer equipment is all male; Life-fitness machines, of which there are two-three redundancies are 70% female, 30%male.(latter primarily pulldowns or rows) This is my regular gym I have been attending for years. I take the young females from work there, appear similar to the OP as stated, and they unanimously prefer machines and abs related exercises. Easier to start on.

NB: You have taken a few shots at me, but I do note you earned your body. No complaints on my part.

is this a scientific study?

Oh, and the only machines woman should use are washing machines, and dishwashers...bahahahahahahaha..just kidding ladies...
  • Cranquistador
    Options

You are well known here for your routines and expertise in the lifting field. I have appreciated your time, effort and knowledge and have made great improvements with your help and hard work. and YES my routines include free weights AND machines.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

There isn't anything wrong with that...but that's more psychological vs what was necessary. Either way working hard toward your goals is always commendable.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    I like them all except the bike. I hate the bike! Main favourites are the elliptical, free weights and treadmill.
    I'm only happy when I sweat.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Just because you have noticed something at your gym does not make it the norm or make you right. My gym is not like that at all.

Nor is mine. Between 0530 and 0700, the weight area is pretty much 60/40 M/F. Most of the ladies in there are (what I am guessing to be) high school girls, and mom's getting their lift on before having to get their kids around. They all jump in and work hard, moving plates and bars. There are some machiine users in the morning. They are usually the 60+ crowd, and a few men and women of middle adult age.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Leg Press, Seated Row, and Lat Pulldown.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.

In...

...to catch up on what looks to be a glorious thread...

...and to see if this guy sticks with this horribly (and unnecessarily) gender-biased position.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Robocop