Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm my greatest machine. I use mainly freeweights and suppliment with machines.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Smith Machine for the simple fact that you can do a multitude of exercises with it.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if your gym has TRX strap, but that may be something that you may like, as you use your own body weight and can work every part of your body. I also enjoy using dumbells because they are easy to use, and I can change the weight more easily.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No. Not even the paid and certified trainers at my gym start women with free weights. They all go begin on machines and some bodyweight exercises.

I have a family the OP will decide for herself and either report back how things went or not.

But there really have not been an shining examples in the pro-free weight crowd here to emulate.

In...

...to catch up on what looks to be a glorious thread...

...and to see if this guy sticks with this horribly (and unnecessarily) gender-biased position.
    Um ...

Yeah, no, he's right. There are no women on MFP who have had beautiful results from free weights. None at all. Ever. Anywhere.

Are we in the Bizarro World now?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    God, there are more trolls on these stupid forums than any place I've seen on the Net.

I've seen some idiocy...

...and some lunacy...

...and a few jokes...

...but no trolls, at least in this thread so far.

I hope someone asks you to provide a list of names later in the thread so I can have closure on this point.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites, I love the squat machine Sports-Barbell-icon.png and the chest press machine Sports-Barbell-icon.png and the bent over row machine Sports-Barbell-icon.png
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using the treadmill. I have used both free weights and machines. I don't really have a favorite though.

OP-Try not to listen to the *women should use the machines* crap. That is far from the truth. Go with what *you* like.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is my new favorite.

body-solid-poste-hyper-extension-45-ghyp345_large.png?3070

Other than that, I do use the back extension machine, leg curl, leg extension and cable machines but none of the others.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    hitachi_zpse1c58d45.png
    handheld shoe buffer?
    Dude! It is so obvious what that is.
    It's an ear wax removal tool.
    no. i'm pretty sure it's one of those new lightweight shoe polishers.
    Wrong wrong wrong.

It's a Mr. Microphone.
    Duh.
    Well, I could be wrong.
    Okay, I'm wrong.

It's definitely an immersion blender.
    Looks like a big red x to me. I hate firewalls! :grumble:
    meh, you arent missing anything...just one of those hand held back massagers.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading the machine vs. free weights argument after the second page...

It's all awful. When you are starting out, do what you feel comfortable doing. If you are comfortable on the machines, and the thought of freeweights scares you to the point of not wanting to go to the gym, then do the machines until you work up the nerve to use the weights!

This is coming from a woman who was making huge improvements over several weeks on the machines, and felt so SHAMED by *kitten* telling me that machines are useless that I couldn't even bring myself to go to that gym anymore. Call me a buttercup or whatever you want, but self-consciousness is real, and no one should ever tell someone that what they are doing at the gym isn't good enough. Even if someone actively searches advice on getting past a plateau, try giving them advice without criticizing what they've done up to that point.

^^this is a very important concept.

When anyone starts out, anything is about a beneficial as the next thing, with one caveat...the most beneficial thing is what you will keep doing. Even as they progress, machines are still beneficial, albeit not optimal from an effectiveness perspective in general.

Some machines are bad as they put you in a fixed trajectory (not a fan of ones for shoulders), but many machines are actually very good.

For anyone starting out, especially those that are uncomfortable, use the machines to get more comfortable with weights. When you are more comfortable, start transitioning to free weights where appropriate.

A good routine can and often does include a mix of barbells, dumbbells, cables and fixed trajectory machines. For example, I use barbells for my main compound lifts, but do assistance lifts using dumbbells, cables and occasionally fixed trajectory machines such as leg extensions. In some cases, machines are superior to free weights, depending on the objectives and the circumstances.

This, all of this.

But I like to rage against the machine.
    Assure you are comfortable in movement, read, ask questions, watch videos.

But do. Do a lot.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Smith Machine for the simple fact that you can do a multitude of exercises with it.

just no....that's all I got....
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    +1 to the list of women who started with free weights. (Dumbbells at home lifting heavy). Read more. Now I do mostly barbell.

Cable machine for lat pull downs and seated rows. Otherwise I prefer normal movement.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Tie between leg press and dual cable pulley machine.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    the pool!! try doing 40 or 50 laps a day.
    the heavy bag, try hitting it for 15 minutes a day.
    the treadmill, but no static cardio, split your speeds and do 1 minute intervals at the higher speed.
    these three will get you in shape in no time.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow...what interesting information! I am actually really comfortable doing both free weights or machines. THOUGH I feel like I will look like a fool because of "improper form" while using the free weights. This is what leads me to want to use the machines.

I plan to use both. Also, my favourite is the leg curl/extension.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Wow...what interesting information! I am actually really comfortable doing both free weights or machines. THOUGH I feel like I will look like a fool because of "improper form" while using the free weights. This is what leads me to want to use the machines.

I plan to use both. Also, my favourite is the leg curl/extension.

Wonderful!

Nobody has perfect form when they first start. Watch some videos, do some reading, and pay close attention to what you are doing, you'll get there in no time.

Keep us posted as you progress :flowerforyou:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    HMMM! SOme interesting points were raised. have to be honest that I only ued cardio machines at first. Then I added some machines. I then added a personal trainer who stuck to machines. I got bored kind of quick. She was smart enough to recognize and put me with her strength coach. BAM!! It was magic! I haven't touched a machine in a year except maybe the elliptical. I deadlifted 235 tonight! I am amazed at how my gym life has "matured". A good gym with good trainers will do that for you! When I started, I really needed the cardio and the machines. It built my confidence and my strength. I now know I could have started with free weights but I didn't know that back then.

I agree with those who say to use both and do SOMETHING! As you research and learn, you will leave your comfort zone and do more.

My fave machine is assisted pull up because my goal is to be able to do pull up without assist but I have a long way to go!!!!
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like the barbell machine. Also, hold the machine.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I like the barbell machine. Also, hold the machine.

...right?