Senior Golden Sneakers - August 2010

Options
Hello Everyone,

And special greetings to Marie-CALIECAT-our founder.

August has arrived. Here are the birthdays we have on file for the group. Looks like we have one in August--not sure if this is Sandi38 or someone else who hasn't posted lately...perhaps we will find out if that person fess's up to their birthday:flowerforyou: :wink:

Beth Feb 24, 1971
Doodlesll---March 12, 1940
Sandy---March 10, 1942
Barbiecat ---March 25, 1946
Birdie---March 30, 1948
Barbs----April 6, 1954
Elli---May 16, 1952
Jersey [ toby } May 18,1946
Phoebe---July 26
Sandie--Aug. 1st.
Irene (viliberty)--Sept 18
Jeffrey---Sept. 25, 1953
Jake---Oct., 10, 1945
Marie---Nov. 7, 1930
Gayla---Nov. 20, 1949

I went ahead and started the thread this time as Marie mentioned she was having computer troubles, and I know Sandy is still dealing with the aftermath of her flooded house. Hope everyone is keeping COOL!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barb

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barb, thanks for starting the new thread...

:sad: I looked through the birthday list and saw how many of our members haven't posted in a long time.....

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: for those of us who are still posting regularly, we should congratulate ourselves and each other because we continue to stay in touch even when we have days of pizza or lethargy......as long as we stay connected we are the winners (and the losers :laugh: )

:flowerforyou: today is cleanse day and rest my knee day.........I might tackle a few sorting projects in the garage......we had some friends' furniture stored in the garage for a few months so it was easy to blame them for the fact that we weren't going through the things that needed to be cleaned out......now we have no excuse :laugh:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barb for starting the August Board!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I did think about doing it then I forgot................. I think that is called senility. :blushing:

Marie, isn't it nice to have people love you as much as we do??? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Barbie, I agree with you 100%, staying in touch just keeps reminding us to change our life style and to try to eat healthy and exercise regularly. You are a great motivation and I for one thank you. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Our new AC is wonderful, we are "cool" again!! Got one estimate for tile, so things are going forward.

Gayla, stay cool and stay relaxed, no use pushing yourself too hard in the heat. :noway:

Jeffrey, those sponges worked and the basement is dry. Hope you did well on the race today which I am sure you did. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandi for you our best wishes and happy birthday.

happy-birthday_animated_129.gif
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi hI girls and guys,,Good morning to you. My new computer is working fine Barbs. But I am happy sitting in the background. just being with my friends. Do hope Sandy has not given up on this. She needs a rest after all she has gone thru.Thanks Barbs for filling in. and hope Sandy will be back next montth.

We are really in for a hot, hot week,, But our house is nice and cool.And doing very little cooking.

Happy Birthday Sandi Love your little doggie.So cute, Have you got back to Arizona yet?

Yes barbiecat we do need to keep in touch with our members Lets send them all a welcome Pm I will send some this afternoon, Beth , Elli. We missed you. However I keep up with them on facebook. Elli has a nice garden and been sending some wonderful pictures on facebook. A beautiful picture of a rainbowAnd Sandy post gobs of pictures of our sweet Daisy. Isn't she adorable in her braids I would have to go buy Sammy a wig to get any braids on him.:heart::heart: Marie

Got to get breakfast and geet my day started :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi Sneakers, how are ya?
    I read a few posts, not many, and I saw some lovely photos of: Sandy's lakehouse!! I was expecting to see a small paddleboat in the pics!! very pretty landscaping, what I could see of it.
    Barbs- both of you, great photo, glad you can get together.

Hi Marie, I loved your photos of you and your family on FB.. I knew the girl with the horses on her blouse was Kathy!! LOL

Great photo of you Jeffrey.. are you sure that is you?? Maybe someone much younger than you!! You look great

I'm still making the effort.. low carb..had a break for my birthday.. but I didn't eat everything in site.. just tossed it when I had my birthday dessert. I'm not weighing until I go back to the doctor later this month. The scales there weigh me much heavier, so I don't want the disappointment of weighing at home and seeing a gain at the doctor.. A good excuse if there ever was one!!

Jim has his colonoscopy tomorrow, so today is prep day.. counting down to begin his prep beverages..ugh..they do taste yucky.

It is laundry day for me, so I will get back to it.

I agree Marie, hot outside but cool indoors, where I am staying!!

have a great August
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe, so good to hear from you. Good luck to Jim on his test tomorrow. I have a couple more years to go yet. For another one.
    Are you and Jim doing any crafting? I keEp sying everyday I will get back to my embroidary. But haven't yet.

I am giving the souht Beach diet a whirl now.Don't know if I will make it. Having problems with low blood sugar and my insulin. I had to cut way back on my insulin.

I like FACEBOOK, SO i CAN KEEP UP WITH FRIENDS, mY FAMILY. NOW THAT MY FOUL MOUTHED GRANDAUGHTER IS MAD AAT ME AND TOOK ME OFF OF HER FRIENDS LIST. SHE BEAT ME TO IT.

Don't stayed away too long.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thix is from elli from FB Look like it is close for the baby to be here Thought those of you not on FB would like to know Your Golden Pal. Marie
    Elli Rathbun is unpacked from the wedding trip, and repacked for the baby trip! Life doesn't get any better than this!
    But who got married? I must hve missed something.( Her other son ?)
  • QueenSuzu
    Options
    Okay, thanks to the kind invitation/reminder from Marie, i am going to try posting here, altho i am on FB---mostly to keep in touch w/family and i also belong to Open Diary. But i will try and post here also, as i am DETERMINED to get back on track. I did well to go on vacation, back in May, but then i always "slack-off". Well, i don't like how i feel, it was sooo nice feeling "slender" so i am DETERMINED to eat better, exercise and yes, it is nicer to be slimmer i really want to do it for health reasons. I'm pretty healthy, at least when i go for my yearlies, they always come back good, but i want to make sure that they continue to do so. Overeating and being sedentary will not help so here i go!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Queen suzu, Glad you made it over here.
    Hey sneakers, this is an old friend of Gayla, Phoebe and myself from another weight loss group.That close down.We are all posting on FB now or some of us are. Welcome Suzu I am trying to follow the South Beach diet. so far so good. Miss my Fruit the first few days but kind of got used to it. We have some real good loser here, I am not one of them yet. Oh and by the way Her son has a Jack Russell.She has 2 or 3 cats.

I have a question I got me a new cookbook and it called for white wine Is that cookin wine or do I need to buy it at a liquor store? My son in law said liquor store.I don't know Thanks for joing us. Marie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome Queensuzu!!

Marie,
    Regarding your wine question--if it is a recipe and doesn't specify a type of wine, other than to say "white" you can use a white cooking wine, or a white drinking wine. If wine is sold in TX only in the liquor store..well, that is where he will need to go. In WA and OR, wines are mostly sold in the grocery, just like beer. Not sure how you do things in your state.

Spent an expensive afternoon at the vet's office. The clinic I go to is inside the Petsmart store and they are open 7 days a week. I noticed Mai Li was liking on her left front leg with great (you might say "dogged":noway: :bigsmile: ) determination.

Turns out whatever was bothering her got infected, but before we figured out it was a abscess, this lump looked like a tumor that had appeared out of nowhere. $130 later, we came home with a topical ointment, pills, and she got a shot besides. I had them bandage her leg to keep her from bothering it. Yeah right. In the time it took me to walk in the door and put my keys and purse down, she had gone in the bedroom and made like Houdini and managed to get the whole darn thing OFF!!:grumble: :mad: So now I get to convince her that she is having another bandage put back on. That oughta be LOTS of fun--NOT!!

If you hear naughty words coming from my direction, you know we are having "words" about the process.:laugh:

Have a good night all.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    barbs my town is dry no liquor sold in this town. But plenty of places in Dallas and all around us.. They do sell it in the fine resturant tho.So I guess we will have to drive into Dallas, But first I will try the white cooking wine. I I make any of the recipes. There is a chicken recipe I would like to try. It has 40 garlic in it. We are making an extra run to the grocer store tomorrow, there are a few other things I need.

Have fun getting the leg wrap up. I tried putting diapers on Sammy for I took us a year to get him house broken. It didn't work out.Good nite to all. Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good afternoon ll.
    We went to the store this morning and I fell out of the motor cart. I was tryinf to fwt out and get a pkg. od 2 % cubes cheese. And the mortor cart too off with me half in and half out.I bruise my elbow and the palm of my hand. But not bad. The manager and a helper came to my recue and got me up. Jerry was out waiting for me in the car. But they went and got him.The manager said he will call me tomorrow to see how I am. Real nice folks.

So how is you all day going?
    I had a nice lunch of cheese, red bell pepper strips, roasted green bean, and roasted cherry tomatoes and a bowl of SF jello.The rosted green bean did not do so hot but the cherry tomatoes was real good.

.Tonight i will be having fish and veggies and ricotta pudding.

OK Suzu today is Monday and how is it going?? We can do it.

Jerry has got Sammy on a diet again.poor boy he loves to eat, I guess he takes after me.

:heart: Love to each and everyone of you:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    And drink that water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Welcome Queensuzu!!

Marie,
    Regarding your wine question--if it is a recipe and doesn't specify a type of wine, other than to say "white" you can use a white cooking wine, or a white drinking wine. If wine is sold in TX only in the liquor store..well, that is where he will need to go. In WA and OR, wines are mostly sold in the grocery, just like beer. Not sure how you do things in your state.

Spent an expensive afternoon at the vet's office. The clinic I go to is inside the Petsmart store and they are open 7 days a week. I noticed Mai Li was liking on her left front leg with great (you might say "dogged":noway: :bigsmile: ) determination.

Turns out whatever was bothering her got infected, but before we figured out it was a abscess, this lump looked like a tumor that had appeared out of nowhere. $130 later, we came home with a topical ointment, pills, and she got a shot besides. I had them bandage her leg to keep her from bothering it. Yeah right. In the time it took me to walk in the door and put my keys and purse down, she had gone in the bedroom and made like Houdini and managed to get the whole darn thing OFF!!:grumble: :mad: So now I get to convince her that she is having another bandage put back on. That oughta be LOTS of fun--NOT!!

If you hear naughty words coming from my direction, you know we are having "words" about the process.:laugh:

Have a good night all.

Barb

Barbs how is Mai Li doing today.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yikes Marie!! So sorry you had a fall. I hope you aren't in too much pain. We just got back from our afternoon in the city. We had a nice lunch with Quinn and then did a bit of shopping. We got home just in time for Dave to get his clothes off the line before we had a big rain. I guess I don't have to go out and water my gardens after all. I have lots of tomatoes coming, both large and cherry. We are looking forward to fresh tomatoes. We have been enjoying strawberries from the garden as well as zucchini. I see a number of cucumbers and few peppers starting. Pea pods are there and won't take long to be ready. I have to figure out what to do with all my herbs. I am not sure if I should dry them or freeze them. I love the fresh basil most of all.

Neil was telling Quinn about his new home and seemed excited to do so. We will take him for a visit either tomorrow or Wed. Keep your fingers crossed that it goes well!

QueenSuzu -- Is that you, Suzanne? So nice to meet up with you again. How have you been?

Marie -- My 2-bits about the wine. I only use wine that I would drink to cook with.I don't use expensive stuff but something that I would drink. To be honest, I have never bought cooking wine so I don't know anything about it and it likely is fine. I have no favorites.

Barb -- Sorry about Mai Li. I hope the meds. have kicked in and the abcess is improving.

Jeffrey -- ~~Run, Jeffrey, Run~~

Pheobe -- Sorry I missed your birthday, hope it was a happy one.

Gigi -- I hope you have found us here.

I really need to take notes but thinking of you all. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barb, best wishes and big hugs to Mai Li as she recovers and battles with you over the best treatment....keeping a dog from licking their wounds and removing their bandages is a huge challenge but I know you are up to it.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I'm so glad to hear that there is still a lot of enthusiasm from Neil about his upcoming new living situation....you and Dave deserve some empty nest time together.

:flowerforyou: Marie, I'm sorry to hear about your fall.....take it easy so you recover and are back on your feet again...Jake dropped out of Facebook because he was getting too many weird messagejavascript:add_smiley('heart','post_body')s.....thanks for the update on Elli....yes, it was her other son that got married.....no wonder she's busy

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey.....how did you do in the latest race

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, it's good to hear from you...stay cool

:flowerforyou: Sandy, stay cool and dry

:flowerforyou: Queen Suzu, welcome to the group.....we're glad to have you with us.....tell us more about yourself

:flowerforyou: Right now I am helping my knee heal by sitting still and resisting the urge to go outside for a walk or some chores in the garden......I can walk more now, but I've already been to the dog park and ridden the exercise bike and done some stuff in the yard....now it's time to rest.....my knee feels much better now unless I twist it or walk too fast or too much
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Good to hear from everyone!! Marie I really hope you didn't hurt yourself, but it is really nice of the store to take such good care of you. I hope you don't end up all black and blue and in no pain. You are such a tough young lady, I admire you. :heart:

Barb, I too hope Mai Li is better today, I just hate to hear about anything sad with our animals. Give her a Daisy kiss from Daisy and a big hug from me. :love: :love:

Gayla, it sounds like Neil is ready, are you? Your garden sounds like it is doing well, I hope you enjoy the harvest. :drinker: :drinker:

Jeffrey, hope you check in soon, we want to be sure you are ok after this weekends race. :wink:

Phoebe, hope your birthday was wonderful.

Suzu, welcome to our humble group. We look forward to hearing about you and all your accomplishments.

Barbie, glad you are doing right by your knee, you really know how to take care of yourself and continue to be our role model.

My son leaves tomorrow for a three week over the road trip with his friend where he will be getting more on hand experience with the big semi. He is excited about his new adventure and I am also excited for him.

Still trying to catch up with the month that I lost with he who shall not be named, but things are getting better. I am still not entirely focused on my food and exercise, but I am not gaining too much. I did go back and change my ticker to a 3 pound gain, but hope to change it back real soon.

Sandy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Marie--

Be careful !!! We don't want you falling on your nose!!!! Or any other part of your body, for that matter. I am glad you were not seriously hurt. I am afraid you are probably going to feel more aches and pains in a day or two. :sad:

To those who asked about Mai Li. She took her pill--thank goodness for "pill pockets"--and ate breakfast with her customary enthusiasm. All three of my critters are home sulking, as I had to eliminate going for a walk in order to get my dad to his doctor's appointment.

I confess to conspiring with his doctor to get him referred for a driving evaluation. I am hoping that when he is re-examined, they will say, "Game over--time to stop driving." Now we have to wait for the state to contact him by mail and tell him to come in for another exam. I was already concerned about him continuing to drive, and his physical therapist also expressed concern, so I contacted the doctor's office to see what they thought and the appointment today was the result.

I know it won't be easy for him to give it up, but I would rather keep him, and everyone else on the road in one piece!!!

Gayla,
    Glad to hear that Neil is getting excited about his new living arrangements.

Have to get going for now.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you concern over my accident. I am sure I will be more sore tomorrow. I have notice tonight I am more sore.But nothing serious.
    Well it is about time to put these old bones to bed. We had a hot one today. 105 degrees. might know we are in a heat advisery.That mean old folks stay in with the AC. Sandy sure glad you got your a new AC. We are staying nice and cool in fact I got cold after we got back from the store and had Jerry to lower it. Sammy did go out for a spell to take his sun bath.But not for long.Take care Irene. Keeping you in my thoughts. Glad Barbie is recovering nicely Wonderful tha tNeil excited about his new home. Keeping My fingers+I am sure all will be fine. Gayla is all of your canning done? I have never try that. Just buy it at the store Gayla go buy you a nice black nitie and hit the road with Dave. But you will missed your boys and be home in no time
    take care all Marie.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning My day: of eating
    hope to have another good day

Breakfast:flowerforyou: Cheese cubes to roasssted cherry tomatoes, small glass of tomatoe juic

Lunch Chicken salad tes :flowerforyou:

Supper grilled pork chops brocolli
    grilled onions :flowerforyou:
    :

Snack ricotta pudding :flowerforyou:

yes I am sore this morning.is brised and sore but not like aanything is broken.
    off to another day,

have a good eating day and exercise day. Or do the best you can.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Morning!!

Marie, as I asked on Face Book, do you think you should have your doctor check you out just to be sure you didn't sprain or injure anything? We don't want our "Angel" to be hurt, we love you too much.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

It is a rainy morning but it is supposed to clear up. Today is my card day so it really doesn't matter too much as long as there are no storms. :noway:

Now that my son is "On the Road Again" I can concentrate more on my own diet and hopefully start doing some exercise other than walking. I will have to move upstairs since our basement is out of commission for now. :sad:

Thinking of all of you, hoping you have motivation and a new way of living. We are in this together.

Sandy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the August thread Barb and hope your "little precious" is doing well!:flowerforyou:
    Marie, I'm sorry that you fell in the store! :frown: I agree with Sandy that it doesn't hurt to get checked out by a doctor:wink:
    Sandy, I hope you can spend some time doing something fun for yourself....you've been through such a tough and long stretch with family AND the house!!!:noway:
    I'm sorry I missed all the birthdays...so a belated Happy BD to Phoebe and Sandie!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Barbie, it must be so hard not being able to dance!!!! What an exercise in patient endurance!!! Before you know it you'll be cutting a rug again!!:laugh:
    To any newcomers....WELCOME!!! This web site and these ladies have been my support for almost a year and I've lost 50 pounds! My anniversary (the day I started MFP) is August 14th...can you believe it??!!!
    We just take it one day at a time and do our best to eat healthy! It is not a diet....or I'd be long gone by now.:blushing: It's a wonderful support group who helps each other to make healthier choices and live a new life style.:drinker: :love:
    I am not afraid of weddings or vacations or anything anymore, because I am learning to deal with them ALL in a healthier way! When I fall....I get up....because I look forward to the freedom this new lifestyle gives me!
    I went on vacation and gained a few pounds, but I would have gained a lot more a year ago! I have taken those pounds off now because I simply live differantly day to day then I did then. More exercise, more water, I "think thin"! Every choice we make...or attitude we have....is the direct result of the way we think....so think positive! Think healthy!! Think of making the choices a "thin you" would make....and have a great day!!!:smooched:
    Sending hugs to all!
    BirdieM:heart: