Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - August 2010

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Sandy,
    Glad to hear that Phil is improving. I have a cousin who has had both knee's replaced in the last 3 years, and my late grandmother also had a knee replacement. The one thing they both said to anyone who would listen is that they only wish they had done it SOONER. Good luck to you.

Jeffrey, Good luck on job search.

Just popping in for a sec.

Barb
  • tobysjrzgrl
    tobysjrzgrl Posts: 34 Member
    Sandy, with the left knee I could drive in 3 weeks. With the right it was 4. I start league bowling in Sept. And hope to start country line dancing soon after that. My rehab with the right one was so much easier than the left because I was 100 lbs lighter. Will help with anything. Just ask.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    hI EVERYBODY, SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE ALL DOING OK

MY THOUGHT FOR TODAY

When you can't have what you want, it's time to start wanting what you have.
    ~ Unknown
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone, enjoying sunny Saskatchewan today. I am going to dinner with my sister and a friend. I will try to behave but I have been a bit out of control. I have tried to figure out why but I really can't think of any excuses. Lazy is the best I can come up with!

Marie -- That is a very good thought for the day. We do really need to appreciate what we have.

Sandy -- You are getting a lot of postive feedback about the knee replacement. My right knee has been talking to me (in angry tones) this week and I am not liking it. That would be an amazing thing if I could play tennis after a knee replacement! I have never been able to play before. :wink: Sorry, I am lame but couldn't resist. I have been watching tennis on TV the last few days. I will be missing my favorite, Rafael Nadal, tonight when we are out to dinner. I expect my sister will TVO it so may watch it after. But tonight is an important dance show as well. Too much TV and not enough weeding my flower beds!

Barbie -- Glad you are feeling better about your health insurance. That is a big one!

Hope everyone is well. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hello everyone!!

I have a delicious recipe to share with everyone YUM YUM:happy

Grilled Salmon with Heirloom Tomatoes
    2 Tbsp each white balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 lb mixed heirloom or regular tomatoes, cut into thin wedges.
    1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    2 Tbsp capers

1. Whisk vinegar, oil and garlic in a large bowl until blended. Gently stir in tomatoes, basil, onions, capers and kosher
    salt and pepper to taste.
    2. Brush salmon with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Cook salmon (fillets should be about 1 inch thick) on a grill or in a grill pan over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium doneness.
    3. Spoon tomato salad onto plates and top with grilled salmon.
    Makes 4 servings.

Sandy - I'm in Illinois near Peoria, how was Great America, we took our girls there so many times, we all loved it:love::love:

Gayla - Hope the evening went well and you had a great time with your friend and sister, I'm washing So you think you can dance!! my favorite is Robert.

Marie you're doing so well, keeping in touch:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Take care everyone, have fun what ever you do :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, I have a friend who is in her early 50's who is scheduled for a knee replacement in November (when she has time off work) and she can hardly wait. another friend in her late 60's has had both knees replaced and has continued her work as a nurse in short stay surgery. I am so glad to hear that you have been successful in detaching with love and letting Phil live his life without you being upset.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I'm thinking positive that you will eat sensibly with your sister and friend....you've done well with WW so I think your good training will serve you well.

:flowerforyou: Marie, our raised bed is doing as well as it could....we love it and it looks great but with the cool weather, nothing is growing well...I talked to a friend who always had vegetables to share with us at line dance and she said that everything is growing slowly in her garden.

:flowerforyou: we had a small set back in the health insurance adventure when we found out that Jim's cardiologist won't take the insurance that we wanted to get so now Jim is considering finding a new cardiologist

:flowerforyou: Gigi, the salmon recipe sounds delicious

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, good luck on the job search

I danced through most of the advanced line dance class today then went for a walk with my friend who is all excited about buying a new house and moving out of her old one.....I think she talked non-stop for miles

with all that exercise i didn't take the dogs to the dog park so they had to be content with walks in the yard and on the hill.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Thursday!! It was a very hot day at Great America, but after we got the older girls situated with fast lane passes, Cheryl, Marisa and I headed to the water park and spent the afternoon there. :heart: The girls came later after they were almost melted.
    After the water park, they went back to the rides and I walked the park about 6 miles. It was a fun day although really hot and for the parade there were a zillion mosquitos. :grumble:

Today my husband and I have appointments with our doctor for physicals. No coffee or anything this morning, so I am having a hard time waking up. :happy: Hope to make my meeting after the doctor but it depends on time.

Barbie, if you are going on Medicare don't you only need a supplement insurance to cover what medicare doesn't? We have Blue Cross Blue Shield and my husband has the RX to cover medicines (at least until he meets his quota then we pay out of pocket until a certain amount is reached before they pay again). I take no prescription medicine so I don't have the RX. Are all States different as far as Medicare?

I think you have convinced me to get my knee done, I will talk to my doctor next Monday to ask some more questions, but will not do it until after summer is over so I can enjoy what's left of it with my grandchildren.

Have a good one.
    Sandy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Sandy, my SIL just had her knee done a few month ago and she walked to my house without a cane the other day! :flowerforyou: It's a marvelous thing what they can do these days!!! Glad you're going for it!
    BirdieM:wink:
  • BirdieM
    So sorry I can't keep up with the posts!!! :sad: I'm just soooo busy that I don't even have time to read them much.:noway:
    Don't forget me!!:blushing:
    I'm having a challenging day on the food today! :ohwell: Didn't sleep much at all last night :yawn: so I'm tired, cranky and not focused.
    Got to get my HEAD together, because somethings bothering me....a resentment..:grumble: ..and that can get you into more trouble than the lack of sleep!
    Greetings and hugs to all!!!!!
    BirdieM:heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Sandy,

You are right that a med supp plan DOES supplement what Medicare doesn't, but their are many different options in med supp. Another issue is that doctors do not HAVE to accept Medicare assignment. If they choose not to, that means if you have Medicare, you are out of luck. If that is the case w/Jim (AKA Jake)'s cardiologist, I am surprised--given that it would eliminate a lot of patients, but do to the low reimbursement rates of Medicare, this does happen more commonly with general practitioners. Medicare is a standardized program, BUT, the reimbursement rates very by geographic location. Med supp plans are standardized, but more than one company can offer them and all companies don't operate in all states.

Okay, are you now thoroughly confused?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Only have a sec, so long for now.

Barb
  • Sandydur
    Yikes!! Yes indeed I am totally confused but now that you mention it, there are some doctors who don't accept medicare and you have to pay them and turn the bill into either medicare or the supplement. I choose not to use those doctors but if it was your regular doctor I can see how that is upsetting. (see not as dumb and I look even though I am a blonde). :laugh: :laugh:

Birdie, get out of your head right now!!!! Resentments only mean self pity and you know that. :heart: :heart: Focus on the good things in your life and leave those resentments in the past, you can't move forward if you stay behind. (((((((hugs)))))))))

Hip Hip Hooray!! Went to the doctor and their scale said I was 129, my goal weight!!! My scale said 131 so who's scale do you think I am going to believe???:love::love: :love: :love: :love: I also shrank 2 inches, what's up with that????? I guess I better adjust my goal weight according to my new height. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Didn't make it to my meeting but did read my books, going grocery shopping now, for healthy food!!!!

Sandy
  • BirdieM
    Today has been a very humbling day:embarassed: I got into hersheys miniatures:tongue: and kept eating them and eating them!! :ohwell: I ate at least 25 of them! :noway: I have not done that in the past year! :noway: I have eaten badly on occasion but this was a binge! Now because I am not ON a program.:wink: ...I don't feel like I fell OFF the program. :wink: What I have learned is this. It always starts in the head and usually I can nip it in the bud.:bigsmile: But today...because I got ony 2 hours sleep last night :yawn: and picked in a lot of healthy.....but over my calories stuff....I woke up tired and depressed and feeling defeated befor e the day began.:angry: I was upset with myself for not handling a situation well and I ate over it!!! :mad: Why???? Because there's a little voice inside of me that STILL says........you are a bad person and should be punished.:devil: Yes, I was punishing myself.:embarassed: I know the best way to do that is to try to undo all the good that's been happening in the last year! BUT....I have YOU :blushing: and we all have each other to hang on to:love:
    So I will promise you that I will NOT pick up another unhealthy bite today (even though I can't possibly make up the calories). Think positive.:flowerforyou: Forgive myself :love: and then treat myself to "discipline". :flowerforyou: I AM worth it.....and so are all of you.!!!:smooched:
    So to these little demons in our heads that try to trip us up I say.....TOODLES!!! :laugh: We have sa NEW way of life.....and it doesn't include YOU. It's ok to get knocked down as long as we're not knocked out!!!!:wink:

God Bless!!!!!
  • Sandydur
    Today has been a very humbling day:embarassed: I got into hersheys miniatures:tongue: and kept eating them and eating them!! :ohwell: I ate at least 25 of them! :noway: I have not done that in the past year! :noway: I have eaten badly on occasion but this was a binge! Now because I am not ON a program.:wink: ...I don't feel like I fell OFF the program. :wink: What I have learned is this. It always starts in the head and usually I can nip it in the bud.:bigsmile: But today...because I got ony 2 hours sleep last night :yawn: and picked in a lot of healthy.....but over my calories stuff....I woke up tired and depressed and feeling defeated befor e the day began.:angry: I was upset with myself for not handling a situation well and I ate over it!!! :mad: Why???? Because there's a little voice inside of me that STILL says........you are a bad person and should be punished.:devil: Yes, I was punishing myself.:embarassed: I know the best way to do that is to try to undo all the good that's been happening in the last year! BUT....I have YOU :blushing: and we all have each other to hang on to:love:
    So I will promise you that I will NOT pick up another unhealthy bite today (even though I can't possibly make up the calories). Think positive.:flowerforyou: Forgive myself :love: and then treat myself to "discipline". :flowerforyou: I AM worth it.....and so are all of you.!!!:smooched:
    So to these little demons in our heads that try to trip us up I say.....TOODLES!!! :laugh: We have sa NEW way of life.....and it doesn't include YOU. It's ok to get knocked down as long as we're not knocked out!!!!:wink:

God Bless!!!!!

Birdie, I guarantee there are a lot of us who have binged on something we shouldn't eat but you are the most honest.
    Don't worry and please don't beat yourself up over this, it will pass and you will survive. We love you. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Birdie, my binges are with something that sounds healthy so I fool myself into thinking it's OK----no more almond butter is allowed in my house or Kashi Go Lean Crunch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: i just finished a wonderful Skype meeting with some friends in California....there were dogs and cats at both ends of the call and a lot of laughter.

we had a beautiful day today
    hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Happy Friday!!! By the way my husband and I remeasured me at home and it said 5" 3 1/2 " so I only lost an inch from when I was young, I think the nurse made a mistake in saying 5' 2 1/2", because two inches is a lot. I will have them do it again the next time I see them. :noway: I just hope she didn't make a mistake on my weight, because that would be depressing. :blushing:

My friend brought over two laptops and her desk top computers for me to look at and hopefully fix because her daughter crashed all three computers from a virus on twitter. :explode: :explode: Don't open links that you don't know because they are trouble.

My granddaughter Bryanna called this morning and asked if I want to take her to the book store and out to lunch, how can I refuse?? I will eat healthy since I am watching very carefully again. By the way Birdie, I love candy and each time I walk by the candy bowl I was taking two or three pieces telling myself that is ok since they are small. :laugh: We only fool ourselves!!!
    I stopped eating the candy this week my only vices now are my two glasses of wine ( one making dinner and one with dinner) and my skinny cow truffles bar, I allow for these calories and yes I know they are wasted calories but I can't just stop having a few things I like. It is working for me and I don't recommend it for everyone. Of course exercise is required to gain extra calories and drinking lots of water is a must.:drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day everyone.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    hi y'all

Well we are still baking down here. seems like it is getting hotter each day.

I missed posting yesterday and will lose my days that i have posted. Just have to start over again..

This has been a lost week for me. Where did it go?

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Marie
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Howdy neighbours! Lots of rain yesterday and today. Neil is going to the Ex with a friend so I sure hope it stops raining soon. I don't want him wet!! He started a new medication yesterday for his seizures. He is quite tired so I hope he has a little sleep before they go. I also hope his friend won't make it too late a night but what will be will be! Most of all I hope the new drug does something!! Dave and I had a nice 'all by ourselves' day. We were shopping for some new bedroom furniture for Neil. His room in the new place will be a little bigger than his room here so he can accomodate a bigger dresser. His Grandma left him some money and I know she would be so pleased to furnish his room.

Birdie -- Please don't be so hard on yourself. You have done a wonderful thing losing your weight so consistently. Everyone has a bad day now and then and you are entitled to have the occasional bad day as well. You now have it out of your system and you are in control. Proud of you, girl.

Marie -- I wish I could send you some rain. Here I sit in my bunny hug (I think you call them Hoodies) keeping warm. Dave made us some hot chocolate as the day seemed to call for it. I would be better off having a cup of tea but still looking for a way to get back on the bus!! Lord give me discipline!

Sandy -- Have a wonderful day with Bryanna. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful grandaughter who likes to spend so much time with you. I still hope that one day I will have some grandbabies.

Barbie -- Glad you enjoyed your time on Skype. My kids use it with their in-laws in California. What a wonderful thing it is. We have seen such amazing growth in technology over our lifetime.

Gigi -- Your recipe sounds so good. Do you ever post your recipes on Food.com (formerly Recipezaar.com)?

Hope you all have had a wonderful day. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Hi all,
    Just got back from Durango Colorado. It was so beautiful but these desert rats did not do well at 7,000 feet and had to come home a day early!

Marilyn , we don't change our time and by june the sun comes up at 4:30 and I hate it! Before long it won't come up until 7:30 ugh!

Jeffrey, Congrats and it's okay to have tired fingers! Happy 36th Jeffrey and Day!!

Gayla, you are right about the A.C. We just got a new one and then had new insulation put in this week so we are hoping for a miracle in the cooling!

Sandy, your son is right, low humidity makes a big difference. Thanks for the info on where to go on the boards! congrats on reaching your goal!!!!

Judy, Hi and welcome back!

Marie, fried green tomatoes sounds great!Irene, thanks for checking in and glad your session went well!

Birdiem, hang in there, you are not alone either in the keeping up with the posts and with the issues! I am right in there with you!
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: Finally after endless whining about how cold it is here, it's finally hot and I'm melting :laugh: we have no AC so we have all the doors and windows open and are wearing as few clothes as possible.....I managed well at line dance class this morning but at the dog park, the dogs spent most of the time lying in the shade with the other dogs...they are definitely NW dogs who like the cool weather......I did some puttering in the yard and got rid of the weeds that were making me crazy, but after 45 minutes, I'd had enough

:flowerforyou: tonight we had broiled salmon thanks to a friend who went fishing a few weeks ago and roasted veggies that included zucchini from a friend's garden.....life doesn't get any better than this :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Bernie stayed out all night and was glad to come in this morning.......he had a lot of junk stuck in his fur and when I began to brush him, he decided that he wanted to go out again....now he's hogging the chair I'm trying to sit in.

:flowerforyou: somebody mentioned resentments........I heard that resentments are the way we punish ourselves for other people's shortcomings..........also that resentments are like taking poison and waiting for the other person to get sick

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs to all
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday!!!

Good analogy on resentments Barbie and so true. Sorry you are melting but be careful because there is not that much too melt away. :laugh: Daisy is like your pups, she likes to sleep in the snow but hates being out in the hot weather, we have to make her go out to do her business. :blushing: The salmon and veggies sound wonderful, I love fish where as my husband does not so we don't have it often. :ohwell:

Sandi, your Colorado trip sounds great, sorry the elevation got to you. We too have a new AC and it works just great, thank goodness since our weather has been in the 90's with high humidity. I am not happy with our electric bill but it still is cheaper than a hospital visit for heat stroke. It is supposed to cool down to the 80's over the weekend so hopefully the air will shut off eventually.

Gayla, I hope Neils new medicine will work for him, I just can't imagine having seizure after seizure. That can't be good for his heart can it? He seems like such a wonderful son and I am sure it breaks your heart. I will pray that the medicine works, the surgery is successful and his new home is just what he needs. :heart: :heart:

I will be working on my friend's computers today, so I hope no one calls me to bother me.:laugh: :laugh:

I went a little over on calories yesterday and didn't exercise, you know how guilty I feel??? Today is a new day and I will be under calories and I will ride that stationary bike. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Have a good one
    Sandy