Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - August 2010

Replies

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone! I am going out to dinner with an old friend who is here for a short holiday. We only get together once a year but I always look forward to it. It is more about the talking than the eating so I will try to behave myself.
    We have clouds moving in again today. Dave turned on the sprinklers for the first time this summer. We used them once and then the rain started again. My weeds really need some attention as they take over so quickly. The raised beds are easy but the shrub beds are a bit more back breaking or good exercise as some would say.

Neil sees the neurogurgeon tomorrow. Please say a little prayer that he can help with the seizures. We are so tired of them, especially Neil.

Gigi -- I hope you will find your way to posting. We look forward to hearing from you. I know your eating and exercise plans will be motivating to so many. Be sure to include your birthday so that it can be added to the list.

Better get a move on. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :heart:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hello everyone,

The week started too hot and the AC doesn't stop working, I hate to get the electric bill this coming month.

Marie hope you're feeling better and not too sore, please check yourself with a Dr. you're too important to the group and we don't want anything happening to you.

Barb thanks for starting the month of August and keeping me on track.

By the way my birthday is November 28, 1946. OUCH

My Goals. to keep exercising at least four time a week, I go right after work that seems to work just fine, if I come home and have dinner no energy to go back to the gym. This is my goal for August, also keeping food intake under control.

Gayla how was your visit with you friend, hope you had fun.:drinker:

Well everyone must go now, I'll keep in touch.:bigsmile: Have a great evening.

Gigi:flowerforyou:
  • Lafla
    Good evening to you all.

Gigi -- So glad you found us. I had a great dinner and visit with my friend. There is always so much to talk about when you only see one another once a year. I am sure someone will add your birthday to the list. November is such a great birthday month. :wink:

Sleep tight everyone. Hope you aren't in too much pain today, Marie. :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: Gayla, I will be thinking good thoughts for Neil and his visit to the neurosurgeon.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, you're right about not being afraid of food events. we went to the movies tonight, brought our own healthy snacks and water and didn't even think about eating the million calorie movie popcorn. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Marie, it took me a week after my collision with the dog to decide to have a medical professional look at my knee.....i am the most stubborn person I know

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm cheering you on to lose those last pesky pounds again......I know you can do it.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Gigi,

Thanks for giving your birthday again. I am sorry it didn't make it on the list for the beginning of this month. I will try to remember to do an updated list toward the end of this month and include your b-day and any newbies we might pick up along the way.

Don't remember if I mentioned it previously, but earlier this week, a friend of mine who works as a housekeeper lost a client through an unexpected death, and this man had a 4 year old Miniature Pinscher who needs a home. Less than a week ago, some people I keep running into when I walk my dogs, who themselves have a cute little terrier mix, said they were looking for another dog as company for "Scruffy." So I went to their house tonight to tell them about "Rosco," the Pinscher. They are interested enough to want to see him, so tomorrow my friend will pass the word on to the family and we will see if there is a match. Keep your fingers crossed.

Gayla, hope you have a good visit with your friend. And I will think good thoughts about Neil's doctor visit.

Barbie, I do exactly what you do on the rare occasion when I go to a move theater--usually dragged there under duress by someone who can't wait for the movie to come out on video--always bring my own goodies. I like movies, just like them better when I am sitting in my own chair and don't have to stand in line for the bathroom!!!!

Good night, all.

Barb
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Hi All it's been a while... Things here are going fast and furious heading for my next deployment and the countdown is getting smaller and smaller...I will post more later when I read through and find out what has been going on.
    Beth
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    By the way my birthday is November 28, 1946. OUCH

Mine is 1948! I can't believe you're older than me!!! You look great!!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:happy:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Hi everyone, been working over-time. Got a suprise friday night when i looked at the schedule, oh I'm working, well I guess I can do 26 shifts straight. Uuufff, oh well not the first time this has been done.
    I am overtired at the moment, shouldn't be typing it could lead to a charge by the typewriter police. :laugh:
    Feeling a bit better over the days past, maybe soon I will get to the gym. Got back in the saddle with my diet and tightened the cinch a bit too. Gained 2 pounds from drinking a whole lot of water to rinse out the body, so I did not change my ticker. I hope next week will be better.
    Got to get ready for the pillow of dreams, AC is a wonderful thing, better sleep-better mood-and attitude!
    Bless all of you, should be tapping in tomorrow.:happy:
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Hi everyone!

Yes I am the birthday girl....thank you for the balloons! love them

Marie, take care of yourself....the body takes a long time to heal these days!

It sounds like you all have wonderful gardens and are aboutto harvest your croups. Are you canning or freezing?

We have been in San Diego enjoying the cool weather. Heading back to Arizona tomorrow. Will be there a few days and then 3 days in Colorado.

My goals for August are to exercise 4 days a week and to really work at getting off of the sugar.

Will weigh in on Tuesday.

Catch you all later!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Wow Barbs I thought there for a minute that you were going to adopt the little doggie. Son't know hoe is would be with 4 little critters.
    Marie

Beth I sure haet to hear you will be going back soon. But this will be the last one? Hope so.

Jeffrey how did the run go>>????

barbiecat I thought I wash my step counterl ike you said you did once. but it fell out of my pocket and was in my chair. Lukey me/

Gayla how did it go at the new place suit Neil. This is where tufft love comes in.We will all be pulling for both of you Don't know if I could handle it or not Love Marie
  • barbiecat
    :flowerforyou: Marie, I'm so glad you found your pedometer.....I feel lost without mine...I'm starting to get more steps now that my knee is getting better....for awhile I had only 2000-3000 a day.

:flowerforyou: Sandi, Happy Birthday a few days late....we have a garden but because of the long cold spring, not much is really growing except the roses and lilies.....I don't know if our tomato and pumpkin plants will actually grow something edible.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: marlouise, don't worry too much about the extra weight from drinking a lot of water, it will go away before long and you'll feel better for having all that water......i try to drink at least eight glasses of water every day and a lot more if I eat food that is full of sodium/

:love: :love: :love: I went to the advanced line dance class today and danced about two thirds of the class....after lunch I went for a walk with my friend but walked slower than usual and for not as long.

:drinker: Beth it's good to hear from you again....when is your deployment and where will you go?

:noway: :noway: :noway: Jake and I are old enough to be busy learning about Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans......wasn't it just yesterday that we were 40 years old ???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

we're off to bed early:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Thursday!!! Went to bingo last night, did not win!! :sad: Today is my meeting and I am chairing and speaking. I will either talk about detachment or about gossip, two things I struggle with. :grumble: We tell newcomers at our meetings to keep coming back and it holds true here also, keep coming back, it will work if we work the program and lean on each other for support. :heart:

Barbie, not sure if I told you I like your new profile picture. :happy: And please both you and Gigi talking about age, you are still young, I do agree that it seems like yesterday when we were 40, even 35, I just don't like how fast time goes. I feel young, still active but when I look in that mirror I wonder who that old person is. :ohwell:

Picked out some tile for the basement but when I brought the sample home not sure I like it with my paneling. Will make a decision today so that we can get our house back in order soon. :love: :love:

How are the mosquitos in your area? We can't even hardly go outside without being attacked, day or night. This rain is just ruining what is left of summer. Here it is August and because of he who will not be named we lost the whole month of July.
    Some of the kids are going back to school next week, it is just too early for that. :huh:

Have a great day, keep tracking calories, keep posting and keep smiling!!

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Sandy said it nicely

Have a great day, keep tracking calories, keep posting and keep smiling!!

They are still working on our roads out front. Can you belive the city has been laying
    Have a good day all of you sneakers. a new water line and this is the eight month of it. Had enought.

Wish we had some of this excess raIn some of you are getting. Jerry don't think he will have to cut grass nex week..

HAve a good day all of you sneakers.
    Jerry and jERRY AND i ARE JUST ROLLING ALONG WITH THE TIMES.
  • :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    Hello All,

Marie, Sorry they are still tearing up your street.

Irene, Good to see you up and about. Hope your treatments are going well.:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • Lafla
    Hi everyone! I often wonder who that old person is in the mirror too! It takes me by surprise more when I see a picture or the mirror at the hair salon is the worst, it hides nothing!! Good thing that I have always really liked old people! Actually, when I finished nursing school I wanted to work in geriatrics but the forces intervened and put me in Coronary Care which I found out I loved. Ultimately I ended up working with infants, love that too. How I digress. Every time I think of my career I am amazed at how blessed I have been to have worked in many different areas and loved them all.. I am sad for folks who have to work at jobs they don't like and can only wish them a happy retirement! If only I liked doing housework life would be perfect.

We took Neil to see the Group Home and he was very impressed and says he is going to love it. They showed him their activity schedule which is very busy and made him very happy. I know there will be rough days and that I will have to be strong because this has to work!! We saw the neurosurgeon yesterday. Forgive me if I told you this already. I have told so many people that I am feeling like I have told you. He has no guarantees that this will work, actually is about a 50 to 60% chance of working. I knew that and wish is was higher. He didn't sugar coat the risks and they do make me nervous. He said to let him know what we decide and I said that we have done our homework and do feel that we have to try it as Neil cannot continue to live this way. We can see that the medications are not working as well as they once did and there is no where to go in the medication world that hasn't already been explored. I pray that we are making the right decision. I did like the surgeon which feels good. They are in a summer slowdown which is putting his surgery dates behind but he expects it to be done before the end of the year.

Beth -- Wow, that deployment seems to have come up fast. Enjoy your time at home. It is always good to hear from you.

Irene -- So glad that you popped in. It makes me feel like you are doing ok. I hope the treatments are not too bad.

Marie -- I hear you about the streets. Everywhere you go in our city the road are torn up. Detour should be the city slogan!! Our winters are very hard on the streets.

Sandy -- I wish I was there to hear you speak, I know you will do a wonderful job. Gossip is huge!! I can't wait to hear more about what you shared. You are amazing and by the way, you look very young and have an amazing attitude!!

Barbie -- So sorry that your knee is still giving you problems. It is wonderful that you are getting your exercise in. . I don't think anything can hold you back for long!

Barb -- Did the dog find a home? I thought for sure you were taking him home.

Take care everyone and keep smiling. No matter what you are dealing with, smiling has to make it better. Gayla :heart: :wink:
  • CALIECAT
    Gayla, thanks very much on the update of Neil. So glad he is so happy about the new place. when will he move in. Sounds like a nice place. and plenty for Neil to do.

I made me a pot of black bean soup will have a bowl and a nice salad for my dinner.. I have even thought about joining Jeanie craig just to order their food. But decided I can cook for myself. I will have enough soup to put up for 3 more meals. I need to get my freezer clear out so I will have room for it.
    Looking forward to fall.
  • weaklink109
    Hi Gayla,

I thought I posted an update about Roscoe the "orphan" doggy, but I guess it was on another thread. Anyway, the deceased's son decided he is going to keep Roscoe, after all, so he isn't going to need another home. My neighbors were a bit disappointed, but they will keep looking for another little one as a companion for their cute little terrier.

There was NO CHANCE I could have taken him. I already live in the zoo,:noway: remember?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Barb
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hello everyone,

Well I made my goal for the week, four time to the gym:bigsmile: Still doing ok on the calories intake, so far.

This summer I planted a few plants of Basil, they are ready, planning to make all the PESTO, I can :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we love it, the only thing I need to buy is the pine nuts, hard to find. Walmart is out so I will continue looking.

Looking forward to a Play tomorrow night ALL SHOOK UP:laugh: Does that bring memories back?

Irene Hope your treatments are going well, our prayers are with you:love:

Marie congratulations 95 days login, I'm so proud of you.:drinker:

Gayla good new about Neil, so happy you're both impressed with the place.

Sandy in reference to being OLD- I know who the old person is MY MOM:huh: and that is the truth, every so often when I look in the mirror I see my MOM, I'm very proud to be 63. looking forward to many years to come.

Marlouise water is the best tool of all, just keep drinking it:drinker:

Sandy thanks for the kind works, you look terrific.

Well tonight is nail night, here I go, so the can dry before I go to bed.

Have a wonderful evening everyone.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    :drinker: Marie, I remember when the street in front of our house was torn up
    what a mess and an inconvenience

:drinker: Gayla, I'm so glad that Neil liked what he saw at the new place.....sorry that the news about the surgery still leaves some unanswered questions and indecision.

:drinker: Barb, I have a friend who has three little dogs and a bunch of cats and she just took on another dog who needed a home....she has an obliging husband to help her but, even so, she has a bigger zoo than you do.

:drinker: :heart: Irene, it's good to hear from you....best wishes for continued success with your treatments

:drinker: Gigi, congrats on getting to the gym

:drinker: Sandy, I would have loved to be at the meeting you were chairing, what great topics.....i hope the sharing was awesome and useful

:drinker: I danced the whole line dance class today, some of it with my usual reckless abandon, then went to the dog park where I felt less timid., then I came home and put ice on my knee and sat for awhile......the doctor said that it would take six to eight weeks for my knee to heal completely so it seems to be right on schedule.....my goal is to be able to dance at the five day line dance workshop that I'm going to on September 12.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: