Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers - August 2010

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: This has been a cool, rainy, very little exercise weekend, Yesterday I went to a tea party in honor of a friend's birthday.....about 25 women all wearing hats, some wearing gloves, many wearing dresses.......the hostess had tables with lace table cloths, china cups and saucers, fruit, cherry tomatoes, little sandwiches, and about a dozen rich desserts.......I had herb tea, cherry tomatoes, grapes, and one small egg salad sandwich. the dress I wore was the one that I bought last year for a wedding.....it was a little looser this year but still looked great.....I bought a hat at Goodwill that looked great with it.

:flowerforyou: Today I went to an all day meeting and took my own lunch with me so I didn't have to deal with the served Mexican food.....the good fortune was that the women on both sides of me had also brought their own lunches.......Jake went to the Seattle Mariners game with his friend and ate a pretzel with cheese on the ferry and a hot dog and an ice cream sandwich at the ball park but he got his 10,000 steps and we did yoga in the morning so he feels like he came out even.......and the Mariners won the game. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, congratulations on coming in first in your age group and for doing so well overall in the triathlon.....you have worked so hard and been so faithful to your exercise.......I know you're enjoying the freedom to train so often because you know it won't be long until you have punch a time clock again.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Marie, we don't go to the movies very often but we've been more recently than you.....Jake likes to buy DVDs so we can watch movies at home with the dogs.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, you asked about mosquitoes... they are usually not a problem here but this year they have been plentiful and aggressive in the morning when I walk the dogs.....even with my coat, hat and gloves, they have managed to find a soft piece of flesh to bite.

:flowerforyou: best wishes to all of you living in hot places.....it's so cool here that our gardens are barely growing.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Barbiecat, how do you like your raised garden? .I am going to plant spme herbs for i would like to make some of Gigi pesto, It sounds so good. for my fall garden.

I am up early this morning for Jerry 6:30 va doctor appt.
    Alice and I had a lovely time yesterday and I enjoy the footbsll game last night.
    Be talking to you guys later,

Marie
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Hi Barbiecat and Marie, my mission for the day is to bump us up to the first page. I always panic if I have not found you on the first two pages and this was about to make page 4.

It is beautiful here today but it is headed for 112 later this week. only 104 today.

Started pumping water today....am on glass 6 so that is pretty good.

Today is my weigh in day and I was up a pound . boo hiss

You all have a great day!
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Hi everyone from sunny Saskatchewan. We continue in the low 80's which is high enough for me. I never look forward to those 100 degree days and luckily we don't get many, none this year so far. We have had a very cool summer so 80 feels hot. I think of you folks in the hot weather and hope your a/c works well!!

We were shopping today and came home to the smell of a rotting potato, ugh, hate that. It was one small potato but what a smell it created. I have cleaned it up and it still smells. I brought in some lavender in hopes that it's lovely scent will win. So far. . . . not!!

Sandi -- Man, that is way too hot! You have to get lots of water in when you have those kind of temps. Sorry about the weight but don't fret, you know how to do it and it will come off next week.

Marie -- glad you had fun with Alice. She is such a great daughter (learned from her Mom). I hope Jerry gets a good report from the Dr. I had a good laugh about wearing sweatshirts when the temp. dips to the 80's. Around here you still see people running in shorts with snow on the ground. Funny how we all adapt to our temperatures. I remember being in the US (forget where now) and we were comfortable in shorts and t-shirts but the locals had mitts and jackets on.

Gigi -- I have seen those tomatoes on the food network and thought they looked so tasty. I will keep my eye open for them next year. We watered my son's tomatoes while he and his wife were away on a golfing trip. His tomatoes look very healthy, I think he fertilizes more than I do.

Barbie -- Your birthday tea sounds like fun. It reminds me of our Girl Guide teas we used to have and all the women were dressed in their gloves and hats. Nice memory. I bet you looked great!

Have a great day, take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Monday!! I went to my knee doctor today and he really thinks I should replace my left knee. He did give me a shot in each knee to see if that would help but he isn't too confident. I am thinking of of doing it and if so I would like to do it in September or October because I would want to be healed for Bryanna's dance competitions which start in January. I also asked about exercise and he said swimming is the best for my knees and the stationary or regular bike is the next best. So I think I will stay away from the Julian MIchaels DVD's since they require jumping jacks and high knee kicks. I know if you diet and/or watch your food without exercising it just doesn't work, the body needs to burn some calories. I have started to watch my calories today and will ride the stationary bike in a little while. I read it is good to exercise later in afternoon since your body is warmed up and loose. :tongue:

Sandi, 112??? My son claims it is still not as bad as Chicago with it's humidity in Arizona but it is still hot. Another way of finding us easily is to go community and click then to my topics and we should be first on that list, unless you are with a lot of different threads.

Marie, how did your cowboys do, I didn't see any scores and I don't watch football?

Barbie, I can just picture you in your dress and hat for the tea party. Should have taken a picture to share with us. Did you remember to stick out your pinky finger when drinking your tea??

Gigi, you sound like a good cook like most of the ladies on this blog. I do not grow vegetables, nor am I a great cook. :laugh:

Jeffrey my boy, how are you feeling after the big race?? You do know how proud you make us, don't you??? :heart:

Washing some clothes and just relaxing today.

Talk to you soon.
    Sandy
  • tobysjrzgrl
    tobysjrzgrl Posts: 34 Member
    Hello everyone. Hope you still remember me. I've been in Jersey since 18 June. Most of it has been spent in the yard.
    We have not been here since last June and it;s major overgrown with wysteria (sp) Have not been on the computer much. Hope to rectify that. Hope all are well.
    Judy
  • CALIECAT
    Sandy , the cowboys won. Yeah.,

Jerry went to the doctor and told the doctor about his horness and the doctor said he had an infection and gave him some pills to take. I can barely understand him when he is trying to talk to me.

This heat is really hot. i THINK i MAY HAVE SOME FRIED GREEN TOMATOES ON THE VINE. My zinnas are looking good . They love the hot weather.My hibiscuit are not too happy tho I did get Jerry to put my yellow one in a pot so we can bring it for the winter. I will leave 3 out and cover them up and hope they livedthru the winter,

Our grass looks kind of sad. We have not had a drop of rain in over a month..
    MArie
  • Just got home from my second chemo session. Not bad, just a little boring and tiring sitting there the required hours. My granddaughter Sylvia stays there with me and "takes care of me." She is a good one! Now it's time for a nap. Take care everyone. God Bless!
  • CALIECAT
    HelloJudy, Good to hear from you. Hope you get back with us more now. your weight lost is till will good. Congrats on your weigh lost.

Marie
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Hello everyone,

Monday what a day at work so busy, I can't wait to retired in December, those are our plans. Freedom after December. here I come Cancun is in my future.:drinker:

Barbie - That tea party sounds like a great time, love to wear dress & hats, Did you take a picture? You must share:wink:

Judy - Welcome back, its good to have you again.:love:

Sandy - I have a few friends that had knee replaced and for them was the best thing they ever did, the only regrets that they did 'nt do it sooner. Good Luck.:flowerforyou:

Gayla - You're so lucky to have 80's so far today 98 & more the same tomorrow, maybe some rain in the forcast.:bigsmile:

Marie - I washed part of the game last night, Congrats on the WIN ,WOOHOO!!!:drinker:

Irene- Great to hear fron you - You have an amazing granddaughter Sylvia:love::love: :love: I' m so proud of her, take care & keep yourself healthy:heart::heart: :heart:

Have a great evening everyone.

Gigi:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • gigi46
    Hello Gayla,

I found out the name of the tomato I told you yesterday, Is Tomato Black Krim, they are beefy and delicious.

Hope this helps.:happy: :happy: :happy:

Talk to you soon, Keep smiling:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Good Morning All!

Been quite a week so far around here! I have 3 job interviews this week. Let's hope for better results! Day and I booked a cruise for the end of the month. We are in sore need of a vacation. After the cruise we are going to see Amanda for a few days. She has finally set a firm date for the wedding, June 11. I am moving Samantha back to school on Thursday. 2 truck loads and one car full!

I have healed up pretty good from the triathlon on Saturday. I have a couple of cuts on my face from the swim but nothing too bad. I had a good workout yesterday. I did 2 strength workouts and then ran 7 miles. The run was good, strong, and hot! I have plyometrics today. Maybe a short run too.

Today is Dayanne's and mine anniversary! 36 years! I was 20 and she was 19 when we married. I would do it all over again just the same way.

I am still doing battle with the moles. They seem to be winning. I am thinking that I may not have a lawn left when they get done. So I am going to work on that today too. I went to the dentist this moring and I have to have some filings in a a month. Nothing too bad. So that was good.

That is about it for now. Sandi I have heard that the knee thing is good. The operation is pretty easy but the rehab is a little tough. Keep us posted! Irene best of luck. I have you in my prayers! Gigi and everyone else nice to read your post!

Jeffrey
  • CALIECAT
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Happy 36th anivversitary Jeffrey and Day.

tHANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS DAY WITH US aND WISHING YOU MANY MORE TO COME.!!!

mARIE
  • Sandydur
    109256sq4pnu4imm.gif

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DEAR DAY AND JEFFREY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member

Today is Dayanne's and mine anniversary! 36 years! I was 20 and she was 19 when we married. I would do it all over again just the same way.

Jeffrey

God Bless you both!!! Happy Anniversary!!!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Happy Anniversary Jeffrey and Day!! Have a wonderful celebration. Fingers are crossed for one of those interviews to produce a job. I wish I was going on the cruise with you!! Where are you cruising to? I have seen lots of good deals on cruises but not for us until we have Neil settled.

Sandy -- Will it be a long wait for surgery if that is the route you decide to take? You are so active that I am sure you would appreciate good knees. How is the rest of your life?

Marie -- I hope that Jerry's hearing will improve with medication. Are you still in the heat wave? We are cool today with rain, rain, rain!

Gigi -- I will have to tuck the name of the tomato away and then hope to remember it next year! All the talk of tomatoes has my mouth watering. Mine are still very green so we have a bit of a wait still. Our feed of beans was yummy. They likely are ready to be picked again soon.

Take care everyone. Keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • gigi46
    Hi everyone,

Happy 36th Anniversary Jeffrey & Day, I know the special feeling I have been married for 43 years and seems like yesterday. Its wonderful to feel this way. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Good luck with the interview hope you get the one you want.
    Happy Crusing!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie hope Jerry is improving everyday with the medicine. Keep cool, we had a lot a rain today, tonight thunderstrom after 10:00PM and the early morning.:noway:

Marie I almost forgot Congralutions on 100 days You're amazing:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gayla if you forget the tomatoes I'll keep the name for next year.

Well I got to the gym last night and tonight, hope to make it two more time, the weekend is going to be a llittle hard to keep in touch, we are going to Chicago with 6 other couples to Billy Elliott the Boadwasy Show , I'll let you know if we enjoy it.

Have a great evening, :heart: :heart:

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Jeffrey and Day, Happy Anniversary, I hope you have done something today that's an absolutely fabulous celebration

:flowerforyou: Sandy, :bigsmile: :sad: I guess it's good news and bad news about the knee replacement.......I have friends who've had them and say that it changed their lives for the better.......best wishes to you.......get the card players to come to your house while you're recovering, get some good books and movies, and get some hand weights for exercise while you can't get on your feet.

:flowerforyou: Gigi, good luck getting to the gym and getting your exercise.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, your weather is as weird as ours......we had rain this morning, Jake cut the grass at noon, and we took the dogs to the dog park this evening after all our appointments were finished.

We met with a great woman today who explained a ton of stuff about Medicare and supplemental insurance and we think we know what we're going to do......what a relief. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: She made all the confusing stuff understandable....and the dogs liked her.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tobysjrzgrl
    tobysjrzgrl Posts: 34 Member
    Happy Monday!! I went to my knee doctor today and he really thinks I should replace my left knee. Talk to you soon.
    Sandy

I had my left knee replaced 3 years ago and my right one done in May. Two of the best things I;ve ever done. Good luck.
  • Sandydur
    Happy Wednesday!!! I am so happy to hear about all the positive replies about knee replacement. Toby, are you able to do things you couldn't before such as bowl or even play tennis? Right now I can't do those things (not really wanting to play tennis but would love to be able to bowl again). How was the recuperation? How long before you were able to drive? Sorry to ask so many questions but you are the only woman I know who actually had the surgery. :tongue:

Barbie, good idea about the card players coming to my house but not sure Daisy will co operate. They are all in their late 70's or 80's and if Daisy were to jump on them they might fall down. :laugh: She is much better on the jumping though and if necessary I could put her outside until they sat down. :laugh:

Gigi, I didn't realize you were from Illinois until you talked about Chicago. I am from Itasca, which is near Schaumburg, so we are practically neighbors. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I know someone who saw Billy Elliot in New York and they loved it. Have fun.

Gayla, you are so nice to ask and my life is going well. We had a busy weekend so we briefly saw Phil, (we can use his name again). He looks much better and is doing therapy to get stronger. He still has his crabby days but that is to be expected I guess, as long as I am not there I really don't care. I don't ask about him much just general health questions, but I am detaching with love and is working well for me. How are you? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie, hope both you and Jerry are feeling well. Keep cool, it is very hot here also along with humidity and mosquitoes.:sad:

We are going to Great America today, I will be at Hurricane Harbor sitting by a pool sipping some fancy drink. :laugh: :laugh:

Have a great day.

Sandy