Why all the negativity???Where is the Motivation?

Options

Replies

• LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Honestly? People get called "bullies" for calling bogus diet trends bogus diet trends. It gets freaking old. "Oh no, how dare you say Fat Flush Water/Detox #112/My 21 Day Water Fast is a load of crap? BULLY!"

I do not know what prompted your particular rant, and I honestly don't care enough to browse through your posting history or try and read your mind. I've just quit taking these "everyone's sooo mean" threads seriously because as a whole they are posted when someone cannot tell the difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid.
    Ah totes. A guy on another thread tried to get another dude banned for laughing at OP for being delusional.
    Even saying it makes me feel like I'm in high school.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    How can you tell when someone is giving you "the silent treatment" on a message board?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I get so much support on my wall. Lots and lots of support. My friends are the greatest.

As for the forums, there's a lot of derp. The people who call the derp what it is are the unsung heroes of MFP, even if they tick people off and get called "meanies."

Without debate, there would be no critical thinking. I LOVE debate. I love critical thinking.

and gifs.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    the silent treatment,

Ok...I'm probably cyber bullying you..but...how does one give someone the silent treament on an internet forum?

I'm just imagining somebody not posting on a topic and saying "That'll show em'" I don't know why but it makes me laugh.

ETA: Apparently I'm not the only inquiring mind that wants to know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Much of what is often perceived as "rude" or whatever is actually people who know what they're talking about correcting someone who is just slinging around a bunch of diet and fitness myths and broscience. It's actually far more rude to just go along with missinformation.

Of course, noobs don't see it that way...Dr. Oz told them that raspberry ketones were the miracle fat burning cure, so it must be true and everyone must support them...with rainbows and daisies flying out of their *kitten*.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Much of what is often perceived as "rude" or whatever is actually people who know what they're talking about correcting someone who is just slinging around a bunch of diet and fitness myths and broscience. It's actually far more rude to just go along with missinformation.

Of course, noobs don't see it that way...Dr. Oz told them that raspberry ketones were the miracle fat burning cure, so it must be true and everyone must support them...with rainbows and daisies flying out of their *kitten*.

Yup. Blunt is not the same as rude. Sometimes people may not always say things the way you would like to hear them, but that doesn't make it rude, it doesn't make it bullying and it sure as heck doesn't make it wrong. And, what I have found is that the more someone gets upset about a comment, generally the truer it is to their situation. In other words, the truth hurts.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

First whether it be the person on simply the idea... it should never be called stupid. That is what I am talking about. Why must it be "stupid " because you don't agree with it?

So if I say everyone should eat pennies because copper is good for you no one should call me stupid? Alrighty.

This whole "never ever possibly do or say anything that might cause other people to be offended" crap is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Honestly? People get called "bullies" for calling bogus diet trends bogus diet trends. It gets freaking old. "Oh no, how dare you say Fat Flush Water/Detox #112/My 21 Day Water Fast is a load of crap? BULLY!"

I do not know what prompted your particular rant, and I honestly don't care enough to browse through your posting history or try and read your mind. I've just quit taking these "everyone's sooo mean" threads seriously because as a whole they are posted when someone cannot tell the difference between calling an idea stupid and calling a person stupid.

First whether it be the person on simply the idea... it should never be called stupid. That is what I am talking about. Why must it be "stupid " because you don't agree with it?

Because some things are stupid. The 21 day water fast? Real example. Someone wanted input on doing a 21 day fast, and anyone who did anything other than blow rainbows up her butt was being "negative." She was trying to get justification for starving herself for three weeks. She wanted support in this, and the scary part was she was actually getting it from some very vocal people.

The detoxes--those too are pretty stupid, and some are actively harmful as well as a waste of money. I'm not going to tell someone that it's a smart idea to poop for two weeks to remove nonexistent "toxins" precisely because I think that would be a mean thing to encourage. But go ahead, encourage someone's butt water blowout and pat yourself on the back for supporting them. I guess that makes you a nicer person than me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *gives everyone the silent treatment*
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I too experienced the meanies of MFP. I wrote a thread about it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've got a serious question. if you are thinking that an internet forum is not for you, then why post that you are thinking of staying away from the boards? Seems a bit dramatic and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Also, I recommend that if these forums are too much for you to handle that 1) it may be you needing to not focus so much on the supposed tone of said disagreement/post and 2) don't go on other forums, like for gaming. They make MFP look so tame.

And finally...disagreeing =/= negativity.

For anyone wondering why this particular 'mean person thread' was created:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099829-learn-what-it-means-to-eat-clean?page=3

It's not the disagreeing... I'm all for constructive criticism. There are nice ways of doing it... I'm talking about the ones that want to just say how stupid you or your idea or your opinion is. The ones that want to post a negative mean comment on everything that is put out there. There are comments that are meant to be helpful in disagreement but there are also people just set on making people feel stupid... I was ready for negative comments on this as well. Like " well if you don't like it then get off MFP" things along that nature. I'm just not a negative person and I was just raised to be nice to others and not to ever be rude or disrespectful. Everyone was not raised that way sadly.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    the silent treatment,

Ok...I'm probably cyber bullying you..but...how does one give someone the silent treament on an internet forum?

I'm just imagining somebody not posting on a topic and saying "That'll show em'" I don't know why but it makes me laugh.

*silent treatments you*

wait
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    the silent treatment,

*silent treatments you*

wait

DON'T YOU REALIZE HOW LONG I HAVE BEEN IGNORING YOU??! WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO, SPELL IT OUT?
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've got a serious question. if you are thinking that an internet forum is not for you, then why post that you are thinking of staying away from the boards? Seems a bit dramatic and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Also, I recommend that if these forums are too much for you to handle that 1) it may be you needing to not focus so much on the supposed tone of said disagreement/post and 2) don't go on other forums, like for gaming. They make MFP look so tame.

And finally...disagreeing =/= negativity.

For anyone wondering why this particular 'mean person thread' was created:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099829-learn-what-it-means-to-eat-clean?page=3

It's not the disagreeing... I'm all for constructive criticism. There are nice ways of doing it... I'm talking about the ones that want to just say how stupid you or your idea or your opinion is. The ones that want to post a negative mean comment on everything that is put out there. There are comments that are meant to be helpful in disagreement but there are also people just set on making people feel stupid... I was ready for negative comments on this as well. Like " well if you don't like it then get off MFP" things along that nature. I'm just not a negative person and I was just raised to be nice to others and not to ever be rude or disrespectful. Everyone was not raised that way sadly.

There are people like this everywhere (and I mean actual jerks, not just people who disagree with you on a message board).

You will not change them.

Learn to ignore them and let it go.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yay! This again :huh:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our website. The entire community looks forward to receiving your instructions on proper behavior!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

If an "idea" has been proven (through the scientific method, several times over) to be factually incorrect, it's stupid.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    i'm climbing down off my soapbox now and bracing myself for the expected negativity this may draw.:yawn:
    Trolling/flame baiting is a violation of the Community Guidelines.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    the silent treatment,

*silent treatments you*

wait

tumblr_mcwnv8gV0z1rgpf05o1_250.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    i am happy to be friends with nice modivating people with no negavity....

^this
This discussion has been closed.