I hate this post, that is all.

I hate this post,that is all.

Post Hate Inception!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    "Skinny" is very subjective. It's fine to have a certain goal in mind, but you don't have to sell yourself short just because you have broad shoulders and hips (I do as well). I want relatively large muscles and a body fat percentage of 20%. That would be considered "skinny" for some. Other people want smaller muscles and a body fat percentage of 18%, also "skinny". Doesn't make their goal any better or worse than mine.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I bet she hates it because anyone can be "skinny" and "lean" if they eat the right way and do the right exercises. A lot of women, and people in general, use the "build" of their body as an excuse to why they aren't even going to try to be "thin" or to lose weight at all. And before worrying about whether or not you can be buff or thin, you should focus on losing extra fat first because that is what is unhealthy for your body. A lot of people get caught up on that thought when for now the main focus should be losing the fat, helping your heart and body and then worrying about how tone or thin you can get. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone wanted to be toned and muscular over being thin, if both are done in a healthy manner.

Wrong. I know Stacy well and she is very lean and fit. What she is saying - as have others in this thread - is a woman can still be "skinny" regardless of what hand the genetic lottery dealt her. Sure, some are more inclined towards adding muscle than others (true for men as well as women) and some are predisposed to look skinnier yada yada yada. Point is that automatically saying you can't do something because your body isn't built that way is an excuse that is wrong as often as it's right.

I don't want to be skinny either. Problem?

post-19250-Archer-Deal-with-it-gif-JWdp.gif

No. I could not care less what your goals are or aren't. I'm just correcting a misconception about my friend's post.

Oh I see. It's just your friend who cares about other people's goals, you're just here to white knight it up.

Carry on then.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    People get their panties in a bunch way too easily...
    I think it's a great goal!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I get what both sides are saying. Let's just get along already. :-) My two cents...I used to say the same thing as the OP, but that was when I was 206 and in denial about how my choices on diet were affecting my physical appearance. I had someone or something to blame it on at all times. Then when I started being accountable for myself, change happened. :-) Now...5'7" 148 of lean muscle. I get called "skinny" all the time. I politely ask them not to comment on my body because I would never come out of no where and comment on them being noticeably overweight. Let's all just embrace our own goals and our own bodies and stop putting others down already.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

And if I made a post titled "No Fat For This Girl" ?

Exactly

Nothing wrong with a post titled 'No Fat For This Girl'. Sheesh, people are making mountains out of molehills here.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

When people talk about their goal why talk about what's not your goal?

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

Because it's popular to pick on skinny.

So what if someone posts that they don't want to be fat? Is that picking on fat people?

:noway:

If a skinny person posted that I would think they're being out of order.

If a fat person posted that it's about what they are and are wanting to change etc, so that's acceptable
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Why?

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

Nobody is picking on skinny. She is just saying that her goal is different than what society might dictate or want for her. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

No she isn't 'just saying' that at all.

I never ever want to be fat or obese, I don't create posts like that because it's rude, insulting and unnecessary

Responses like this are why people get annoyed when "body shaming" comes up and think it's an overreaction.

"I don't want to be skinny because it's disgusting and gross" = body shaming.
    "I don't want to be skinny because I've preferred to focus on athleticism and my natural body shape" =/= body shaming.

Good bye.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Why?

So what if someone posts that they don't want to be fat? Is that picking on fat people?

If a fat person posted that it's about what they are and are wanting to change etc, so that's acceptable

I am not fat now and have no desire to be fat in the future.

How is that out of order? :huh:

In fact there is a whole section on this forum for "Maintaining Weight' which implies people who at a weight they like and no have desire to put on more/are actively taking steps to prevent their weight from changing. ie: Don't want to get fat. Is that whole section offensive?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I bet she hates it because anyone can be "skinny" and "lean" if they eat the right way and do the right exercises. A lot of women, and people in general, use the "build" of their body as an excuse to why they aren't even going to try to be "thin" or to lose weight at all. And before worrying about whether or not you can be buff or thin, you should focus on losing extra fat first because that is what is unhealthy for your body. A lot of people get caught up on that thought when for now the main focus should be losing the fat, helping your heart and body and then worrying about how tone or thin you can get. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone wanted to be toned and muscular over being thin, if both are done in a healthy manner.

Wrong. I know Stacy well and she is very lean and fit. What she is saying - as have others in this thread - is a woman can still be "skinny" regardless of what hand the genetic lottery dealt her. Sure, some are more inclined towards adding muscle than others (true for men as well as women) and some are predisposed to look skinnier yada yada yada. Point is that automatically saying you can't do something because your body isn't built that way is an excuse that is wrong as often as it's right.

I don't want to be skinny either. Problem?

post-19250-Archer-Deal-with-it-gif-JWdp.gif

No. I could not care less what your goals are or aren't. I'm just correcting a misconception about my friend's post.

Oh I see. It's just your friend who cares about other people's goals, you're just here to white knight it up.

Carry on then.

Pretty much.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Why?

Nobody is picking on skinny. She is just saying that her goal is different than what society might dictate or want for her. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

No she isn't 'just saying' that at all.

I never ever want to be fat or obese, I don't create posts like that because it's rude, insulting and unnecessary

Responses like this are why people get annoyed when "body shaming" comes up and think it's an overreaction.

"I don't want to be skinny because it's disgusting and gross" = body shaming.
    "I don't want to be skinny because I've preferred to focus on athleticism and my natural body shape" =/= body shaming.

Good bye.

/thread
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I came here so I would no longer be skinny (anorexic). I want to be healthy and strong.
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow, is it always like this? I'm new here and a little surprised by some of the snarkiness. We're all made different and from different backgrounds, so of course we're going to have different goals. Accepting and appreciating each others differences is, I presume, what makes a site like this work.

Seems to me that the OP was good-intentioned and not out to insult anyone (or make excuses, for that matter). I accept the post for what it said and just reading about her wanting to be strong has motivated me!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this post. And agree completely! When the inevitable zombie invasion happens I want to be able to out run, out wrestle, and out climb them! :drinker:

You get close enough to a zombie to wrestle it your fuct.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    PBT, you be quiet. I've always been skinny but I'm still strong and capable in advanced yoga, handstand push ups, swimming, climbing trees and so on. I suck at running but that's about it.

* all I'm trying to say is that skinny people are still capable of athletic ability.
  • myprana
    Options
    I'm not here to be skinny. I don't have the body to be skinny. I have broad shoulders, big thighs, big hips, and a big butt. I always will. I'm built to be strong. I'm built to be athletic. That's what I want to achieve. Anyone else feel the same?

Strong and athletic is always good in my book, but don't sell yourself short. I'm obese right now, but once upon a time I was very thin and toned. You'd never guess by looking at my body now that I could ever get that way.

So there may be a skinny AND athletic body hiding under your current body. :bigsmile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Why?

I am not fat now and have no desire to be fat in the future.

How is that out of order? :huh:

In fact there is a whole section on this forum for "Maintaining Weight' which implies people who at a weight they like and no have desire to put on more/are actively taking steps to prevent their weight from changing. ie: Don't want to get fat. Is that whole section offensive?

Why would anyone that is skinny or not overweight want to create a post/thread about how they don't want to be fat/obese?

It just doesn't make any sense, what would anyone be trying to achieve with that?? To show off? To make fat people feel crap? I can't see anything positive that would come of it.

Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing...

ETA I think you're missing my point, it's perfectly ok not to want to be fat/skinny/muscular/curvy but I'm saying I wouldn't post on forums about it, what would be the point of that?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
This discussion has been closed.