No Skinny For This Girl

Options

Replies

• adepko
    adepko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate this post, that is all.

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

When people talk about their goal why talk about what's not your goal?

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

Because it's popular to pick on skinny.

Nobody is picking on skinny. She is just saying that her goal is different than what society might dictate or want for her. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

No she isn't 'just saying' that at all.

I never ever want to be fat or obese, I don't create posts like that because it's rude, insulting and unnecessary

I would like to take a minute to comment on my OWN POST.
    To the person I have quoted, feel free to excuse yourself from my post. You have grossly twisted my words and turned them around maliciously on me. Nowhere in my words did I "bash" skinny people. Nowhere in my post did I say skinny was bad. I simply stated my goals: I don't want to be one of those super skinny women. I want to, as it has been said already, embrace my build, embrace my curves, and work for a muscular body. I am not saying skinny women can't be strong. I am very close to skinny women who are stronger than I am. So, even though I shouldn't have to explain myself to you, stop causing drama and let this site be the uplifting place it should be.

To everyone else, thank you for the support. Thank you for voicing your opinions and holding up the characteristics that this site was build on. I salute all of you.

To all of the skinny, strong women, MORE POWER TO YOU! That is fantastic! I am honestly not being sarcastic or anything here. I'm sure your bodies are wonderful, and as long as you are happy that way, you go get it sister!

All in all, everyone has a body type they want. Mine happens to be what I stated. That doesn't mean I'm "bashing" any other body types. Everyone is different, and everyone will feel beautiful to themselves with a different body type. The main thing is that we all keep working to get to those hot bods! :)

Peace and blessin's.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Ok ladies lets take a minute here and calm down. Now I do not know the OP from Adam, but I think she was just trying to voice her opinion in a way to maybe get a rise or maybe make a stand about some of the overly misued adjectives that we are faced with every day. I was very shocked by all the posts in this thread. I wanted to post something so everyone could all take a minute, take a breath and maybe just read this.

Skinny: Adjective, very lean or thin; emaciated:
    Lean: Adjective, (of persons or animals) without much flesh or fat; not plump or fat; thin: lean cattle.
    Fat: Adjective, having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese:
    Fit: Adjective, in good physical condition; in good health:

Body Fat
    The body fat percentage of a human or other animal is the total mass of fat divided by total body mass; body fat includes essential body fat and storage body fat. Essential body fat is necessary to maintain life and reproductive functions. The percentage of essential body fat for women is greater than that for men, due to the demands of childbearing and other hormonal functions. The percentage of essential fat is 2–5% in men, and 10–13% in women

There is no single ideal percentage of body fat for everyone. Levels of body fat are epidemiologically dependent on sex and age.[2] Different authorities have developed different recommendations for ideal body fat percentages. The table below from the American Council on Exercise (not an official government agency) shows how average percentages differ according to the specified groups and categories:[3]

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

So there you go, I do not care what anyones "goals" are, I can only hope that they are achieved and they make them feel better.
    Regardless if you can describe a woman or a man as fit, lean, fat, skinny, cut,swollen, athletic, thin, boney, pear,apple or hour glass shaped, muscular, huge, solid, fine,tone,big boned, diesel, hot, sexy or what have you.. The point is if they are truley happy and content with how they look it should not matter to you and you should not judge how they look or how they feel about themselves. This site is for motivation and to help each other stick to our goals and give a helping hand along the way.

In technical terms regardless of body structure, if you have a low body fat% you could be described as skinny, or any of the other positive adjectives some people consider as positive.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Wow they took this post and ran with it......................ran a friggin marathon.

Now Now people "God don't like ugly". One of my favorite hickish sayings. Gotta say it with an accent though
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PBT, you be quiet. I've always been skinny but I'm still strong and capable in advanced yoga, handstand push ups, swimming, climbing trees and so on. I suck at running but that's about it.

* all I'm trying to say is that skinny people are still capable of athletic ability.

Really? Always? Gosh, would never have known.

Quit being jealous, it's obvious to everyone.

:laugh: So not jealous of you. I'd rather JSF if I had to choose..:laugh:
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is there is no one definition of "skinny". To some people, a size 0 or 2 is skinny. While there are plenty of women out there who can be strong and healthy at a size 0 or 2, there are also plenty of women who would either be dangerously underweight at that size or whose skeleton is wide enough that it wouldn't fit into a size 0. There are other people who define "skinny" as healthy weight.

I will never fit into that first definition of skinny. Even at my thinnest, when I was a bony, gangly teenager, I was a size 8 or 10. When I am at a healthy weight, body fat percentage, and hip-to-waist ratio, I probably will be a size 8 or 10. But I hope I will someday make it to that second definition of skinny.

Should people who are a healthy size 0 or 2 be bashed for being skinny? No. Most certainly not. But I don't think saying "I'll never be that skinny" is defeatist for some women or necessarily insulting to the size 0s and 2s.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    rcocW.gif

tumblr_ma8ax5zexc1rfduvxo1_500.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    PBT, you be quiet. I've always been skinny but I'm still strong and capable in advanced yoga, handstand push ups, swimming, climbing trees and so on. I suck at running but that's about it.

* all I'm trying to say is that skinny people are still capable of athletic ability.

Really? Always? Gosh, would never have known.

Quit being jealous, it's obvious to everyone.

Ah, the accusation of jealousy. The argument tactic of the deficient debater.
  • jenn_boomz
    jenn_boomz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif
  • adepko
    Options
    rcocW.gif

tumblr_ma8ax5zexc1rfduvxo1_500.gif

Love.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Why?

I love that you have a realistic outlook. You know what your body is capable of and you are making the best of it. I too have broad shoulders and although I've never been athletic, it's nice to think I could be that.

Because she could have posted about what she wants without saying she doesn't want to be skinny. Why else mention skinny other than to put it down.

She didn't put anything down. All she said is that is not her goal. If that's your goal, fine. Nothing against you.

Maybe she doesn't want to be a ballerina either or a 100 other things, why not put that?

Nobody is picking on skinny. She is just saying that her goal is different than what society might dictate or want for her. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

I never ever want to be fat or obese, I don't create posts like that because it's rude, insulting and unnecessary

To the person I have quoted, feel free to excuse yourself from my post. You have grossly twisted my words and turned them around maliciously on me. Nowhere in my words did I "bash" skinny people. Nowhere in my post did I say skinny was bad. I simply stated my goals: I don't want to be one of those super skinny women. I want to, as it has been said already, embrace my build, embrace my curves, and work for a muscular body. I am not saying skinny women can't be strong. I am very close to skinny women who are stronger than I am. So, even though I shouldn't have to explain myself to you, stop causing drama and let this site be the uplifting place it should be.

To everyone else, thank you for the support. Thank you for voicing your opinions and holding up the characteristics that this site was build on. I salute all of you.

To all of the skinny, strong women, MORE POWER TO YOU! That is fantastic! I am honestly not being sarcastic or anything here. I'm sure your bodies are wonderful, and as long as you are happy that way, you go get it sister!

All in all, everyone has a body type they want. Mine happens to be what I stated. That doesn't mean I'm "bashing" any other body types. Everyone is different, and everyone will feel beautiful to themselves with a different body type. The main thing is that we all keep working to get to those hot bods! :)

Peace and blessin's.

:flowerforyou: :heart:

I have to go lift weights and then eat a ton of egg whites. I expect another page or two in here by the time I get back people, don't let me down!!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Why?

Peace and blessin's.

Excuse myself from your post?... is this on your own private forum? Gosh how did I stumble in here?

Oh no, looks like it's still good old mfp public forum.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It's possible to be skinny and fit. "Healthy" is such an arbitrary term around here. As long as you put effort into your well being and overall fitness, then you have my respect. That goes for people who are muscular, skinny, or fat.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

We have a few mutual friends that tell me she is jealous. I trust them.
  • Achrya
    Options

Why?

Peace and blessin's.

Excuse myself from your post?... is this on your own private forum? Gosh how did I stumble in here?

Oh no, looks like it's still good old mfp public forum.

Where's Hildy J to defend the OP and preach the good word of "Why don't you just ignore it if you don't like it?" anyway? Why is she never around when it seems like she's actually be useful?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to get skinny either. I'm here to get fit, healthy and stronger. And if I meet that goal at 160, then I accomplished what I set out to do.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies lets take a minute here and calm down. Now I do not know the OP from Adam, but I think she was just trying to voice her opinion in a way to maybe get a rise or maybe make a stand about some of the overly misued adjectives that we are faced with every day. I was very shocked by all the posts in this thread. I wanted to post something so everyone could all take a minute, take a breath and maybe just read this.

Skinny: Adjective, very lean or thin; emaciated:
    Lean: Adjective, (of persons or animals) without much flesh or fat; not plump or fat; thin: lean cattle.
    Fat: Adjective, having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese:
    Fit: Adjective, in good physical condition; in good health:

Body Fat
    The body fat percentage of a human or other animal is the total mass of fat divided by total body mass; body fat includes essential body fat and storage body fat. Essential body fat is necessary to maintain life and reproductive functions. The percentage of essential body fat for women is greater than that for men, due to the demands of childbearing and other hormonal functions. The percentage of essential fat is 2–5% in men, and 10–13% in women

There is no single ideal percentage of body fat for everyone. Levels of body fat are epidemiologically dependent on sex and age.[2] Different authorities have developed different recommendations for ideal body fat percentages. The table below from the American Council on Exercise (not an official government agency) shows how average percentages differ according to the specified groups and categories:[3]

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

So there you go, I do not care what anyones "goals" are, I can only hope that they are achieved and they make them feel better.
    Regardless if you can describe a woman or a man as fit, lean, fat, skinny, cut,swollen, athletic, thin, boney, pear,apple or hour glass shaped, muscular, huge, solid, fine,tone,big boned, diesel, hot, sexy or what have you.. The point is if they are truley happy and content with how they look it should not matter to you and you should not judge how they look or how they feel about themselves. This site is for motivation and to help each other stick to our goals and give a helping hand along the way.

In technical terms regardless of body structure, if you have a low body fat% you could be described as skinny, or any of the other positive adjectives some people consider as positive.

Bro, you have a third leg.

Fair warning. Put your keyboard down, back away slowly before its too late.
  • adepko
    Options
    I'm not here to get skinny either. I'm here to get fit, healthy and stronger. And if I meet that goal at 160, then I accomplished what I set out to do.

You go girl!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_lkbahxSELN1qglrwm.gif

I'm sure. I'd dare for any one of them to point one wall post I've ever made about you. :laugh: SO SAD!
  • Achrya
    Options

I think your 'mutual' friends are confusing 'jealousy' with 'having a general dislike of the things you say'.

I suppose I could just be confused. Maybe my brain is also clouded with jealousy.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Me too - My frame is somewhat broad and my shape is hourglass so I will never be skinny, nor do I want to be. I have good muscle structure and though I'm not athletic, my build is. I'm very happy with my results so far.
This discussion has been closed.