WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    :wink: Jill thats a lovely story about Christmas cake..... I can picture the mailman running after your friend with the christmas cake, from one end of Europe to another.....
    :flowerforyou: Sylvia happy for you n your grandsons, sending all of u my prayers. What an NSV u swam for an hour without realising it!
    Joyce: a boiled potato salad with lemon juice, salt and chopped chillies comes to my mind
    Vicki Yay for the warmth and prayers for your Father. am also glad about your new glasses
    :flowerforyou: Grandmallie you are so amazing, the other day at the gym when I thought I was bushed a picture of u emerged in my mind icing your heel, smiling as always and I remembered all the walking, cycling u do and just sipping lemon water in between. Did it inspire me to finish???
    Meg u are working hard and keeping up with all all your healthy habits. Wow!
    Michelle that would be a bummer a size 4 and a size 8 trouser when u want two size 6.
    :laugh: Heather alls well that ends well..... father agreed to pay
    Barbie 37k steps!!!:noway: well if its Barbie :smokin: its possible. Thats what inspires me. Thanks
    Suzy waiting to see your pics....am sure it will be a great activity n such fun
    :flowerforyou: Yanniejannie so glad for your friend and you. Do take care of yourself too. What goes around comes around :love:
    Today finished with a brisk walk in the morning with hubby before going off to school.... we had to go in to complete grading papers n preparing the result. All was well till lunch was served..... Puri ( fried bread) with potatoes. Since I hadnt carried my lunch ended up tucking into puris:blushing: .So, have decided will not feel guilty but workout in the afternoon a little more..... In the past I would end up feeling guilty and beating myself about it...
    Second lesson learnt always , always carry my food .
    Prayers n hugs to all those who need them and Cheers to the remaining
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday Morning Ladies: This has been a crazy and busy week, and I ate so bad last nite I didn't even post it :embarassed: . The tired is beginning to set in, but will have to wait til Sunday nite. Octoberfest at Church today, be there at 3 to set up (I did get the coleslaw made last night :tongue: ) still need to finish sewing the cape for Elizabeth's costume for tonight. I take care of my Dad, so need to get his laundry finished, then work on his feet ,(his nails get so bad) he is diabetic and I don't want to let them get out of hand. :love: . Church on Sunday, then finish my own laundry and house cleaning (Maybe someday they will invent a self cleaning house :laugh: ) but until then it's all me. I am going to try very hard to get back on my tracking and eating better today, my Dr's appt. is Monday, I'm still down but not where I want to be.

Eileen in ND--Welcome, the Ladies on here are wonderful and very encouraging.

Meg--Sugar is very tricky--hopefully you will find a balance soon. I try and stay away from sodium as much as possible. Sounds like a busy weekend. Enjoy.

Katla--Love your picture, awesome getting into skinny jeans.

Grandmallie--Glad your shoulder is feeling better, Hope your weekend works out.

Joyce: Glad you found such a wonderful Dr.

Heather--Glad all worked out well with your car.

CritterSue--Sorry about your FIL, sending prayers.

Sandy--It is nice when someone notices all the hard work you do.

Michele--I want just 1/4 of your energy to work out but not with Jillian Michaels (mean :frown: ) :laugh:

YannieJannie--Glad your friend is feeling better, good luck on your job decision. Hope your are able to get some rest.

Barbie--Love dancing but I have 2 left feet, sounds like wonderful fun.

Linda --Awesome No Pain, Hope it continues.

Liz--Prayers for your Family.

Sylvia--Hope all is well with your Son.

Vickie--Glad you have heat. Enjoy your weekend.

Teral--Enjoy those strolls with your Hubby.

Hope everyone has a Blessed and Wonderful Day. :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Our community is having a hazardous waste recycling day today, and we plan to get in line early. We have a partial can of old deck coating to get rid of and a box of batteries. It isn’t a big box of batteries, but it is a heavy one. We use rechargeable batteries as much as possible to cut down on the number of batteries we buy and throw away, but even they eventually wear out. I’m also sending off a box of slugbait. I’m going for the less toxic version in the future. DH finished working on the boat for now. The next step is to get recommendations for a good place to service the outboard motor. It is 42 years old, too. We got it started yesterday, so we know it runs. I want to move the boat back into the storage unit in the mean time.

Joyce: We don’t currently have any canned soup on hand because of the sodium content. DH just can’t handle it. We don’t have ramen anymore, either. When you’re shopping, look closely at the sodium levels and plan to compensate by drinking more water. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Eileen in ND: Welcome to a great group. This is an excellent place for encouragement and help with motivation.:flowerforyou:

Teral in Plano: It sounds as though your day was filled with blessings. Congratulations.:flowerforyou:

Animika: Dealing with high calorie food by adding exercise is very wise. Drink plenty of water, too, to help wash it away.:drinker: :drinker:

Tina in FL: DH is diabetic and has had the worst feet forever. Last year I finally talked him into getting a pedicure. He loves pedicures now that he knows his "man card" won’t be revoked, and his feet are so much better. We go in about every four to six weeks & both get our feet done. (He doesn’t get his toenails polished, but I do. I favor “French” style polish with white at the tips and clear covering the rest of the nail.) :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    Didn't exercise this morning as I was coughing from before 5am and felt altogether blah.
    Nothing serious, but I decided to give myself a day of rest.

Hairdresser came and I didn't let her cut too much off this time. Much happier with it.

Then DH and I made the first of our Christmas cakes. We will do the other tomorrow. I always get him to do all the bits that require patience, like greasing and linjng the tins and chopping nuts.:laugh: :love: It is in the oven now for at least 4 hrs and soon the whole house will be smelling like Christmas!
    I also made a start on tonight's dinner, chicken with chinese and button mushrooms. Will have with pak choi.

My Happiness Hypothesis book arrived so I will let you know if I discover any great insights!:wink: Also in the post were a couple of small things for Christmas surprises for DH. I might give him one for our anniversary in November. Had to chase up a parcel for my step daughter that couldn't be delivered to her apartment in London. I must say Amazon were very good and are redirecting it to her work place. But it won't arrive on her birthday. It is a book about Burma where she is soon to go for 3 weeks holiday. She is one of the world's great travellers, but DH is sad that he is not going to get any grandchildren from either of his daughters. Still, he is making a great job of being step grandad to mine!
    Had a lovely thankyou card from my DDIL today with a photo of my granddaughter on the front. It was to thank us for the babysitting we have done and the presents we have bought. Of course I feel just enormously grateful to have the opportunity. It gives me so much pleasure.:love::heart: Can't wait for Friday 8th when we'll be seeing them again and this time DS will be cooking dinner. Double yum! Recently he's been working late so we've grabbed a snack for the train home or last time got kebabs in.

Bit headachy now and feeble. Eyes ache.

Bye for now my friends,
    Heather UK, where it's set to be very stormy tomorrow night.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday to the 50+ Vitamins here, old and new,

Glad to read up on all your lives, wow! such a range of human experience. Today is going to be great and crazy,
    and we head to the hospital when the new grandbaby is born...sometime in the next few hours, I guess.
    Glad DD3 did not go for C section.....if ever there were a pair of child bearing hips, she has them!

She is 39, and this is the first.....and this is her dream life, after spending a decade on painkillers for long term car accident pain.

Perhaps the baby brings new memories that will rewrite all the old bad memories out .......

I had a clean food day yesterday, both in calories and from grains, my allergy nemeses.......another day or so, and I will feel the
    difference in my brain.

I went to a poetry reading ( who does that these days? - it was organized at my uni by my mentor) and the poet and the poetry were wonderful! Very accessible for understanding, lovely images. As much as I like the great American poet Wallace Stevens, she is much easier to grasp and feel....... I recommend her work, try her out : Jan Zwicky. She taught at Harvard for a while, but you can find her on You tube, and she reads her own work really well!

Have a great day everyone! BJ
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Eileen welcome to our family. Although North Dakota may be a beautiful place to live I don't envy you in the winter. Lot of claories burned shoveling snow!

Joyce
  • puzzler57
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I love reading everyone's posts. All the comments on exercising are motivating. I made it to the fitness center once this past week, and anytime I had to use stairs I turned around and did them twice. I know it's not enough, but it's something.

We had our last cookout of the season last week. It was so great to have my children with me. I counted calories for my portions and so enjoyed the great flavors while still staying in my plan. That made me feel good. Love those Johnsonville brats :-)

How do you all manage so well to respond to everyone's posts? Do you take notes while you read so you can answer? I started doing that so I could add my comments/encouragements/compliments but ..... So how do you do it?

Since I'm new to mfp, does any one have any suggestions on what parts of the site might be helpful / practical / a must use?

Time to get to my homework.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hello to all regular and new!
    Have been reading and keeping up with everyone, seems like Prayers and Hugs need to be doubled this month.
    Congradulations to all who are winning at this battle, I have had unexpected company and been busy, always stressful when not prepared.....
    Haven't done too well lately was up 2 lbs as I just didn't get off track but derailed!!!!! Better this week down .05
    Love your pictures from skinny jeans, horses and new babies

:drinker: best wishes to all take care of yourselves and thank you for being here daily

Juanita in sudbury
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's down right cold, windy and raining here today. Good day to curl up with a good book and a nice cup of tea. I went to aquafit this morning, the teacher was late and not really prepared but it was still a good workout. I stayed and swam lengths for awhile after too.

I lost 2.4 lbs this morning....woooooooohoooooooo finally slightly less then when I started the Y 2 months ago. Hopefully it means that I'm back to losing again????

Enjoy your day.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I've missed you lovely ladies. I haven't visited in such a while.

We had to say farewell to our beautiful dog Charlie a while ago after nearly 16 years of faithful companionship & it really hit so hard. Even now I still expect to see him waiting by the window when I come home. I keep starting thank you notes to our vet & the crematorium service who took care of things afterwards but haven't managed to finish them yet.

On the plus side our gorgeous 10 month old grandson Ethan is walking & providing many joyful moments.

I'm off to catch up so hugs to you all.

Geri in UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    just popping in,
    today is not good, eating out of control, not even gonna count anymore today, no exercise and stressed to the hilt... OY, hopefully tomorrow is a better day...
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This morning after swimming and breakfast I went back to the Y to watch my granddaughter play her first ever basketball game. It was a hoot! None of the 7 year old girls had a clue what they were supposed to do, but they had the biggest smiles on their faces! It was so much fun to watch. My son was in a bad mood though. He said he is on the verge of his second divorce, so apparently they aren't getting along too well. I always got the impression that she resented his kids. He did not have contact or custody when they first got married, so it must have been a lot more than she bargained for. And now with all these health problems too. I hope they can work it out, but all I can do is butt out. They sure don't need my advice.

We are out at the lake cabin now, and it turned out to be a beautiful day. For some reason we always have a bunch of wasps in the cabin. Today it seems like more than usual. My theory is that they live in the walls, so I don't know what we can do to get rid of them. We keep a butterfly net to catch them and put them outside. Hubby is too sweet to kill them. They aren't aggressive at all. First thing when we arrive, I have to sweep up the dead ones and he gets rid of the live ones.

Tomorrow I'm going to the girl's school open house and community fair. It's so nice to be a grandma in demand.

I hope you ladies are having a great weekend!

Sylvia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. I had to go grocery shopping since we went out Thursday and I hate doing that on a weekend, but it wasn’t too bad. My store is being remodeled and even the employees don’t know where things are so it’s an adventure. Apparently the construction workers come in at night and move things to work on the next item! I didn’t want to take the time to go to both
    Walmart and HyVee and I paid for it …..expensive!!!

Watched NE play; they lost to an unranked team. So we’ll work on the basement now til baseball comes on. The carpet guys were no call-no show, so DH called someone who has done other carpet work for us and he hasn’t called us back. Harumph!

Joyce: thanks for the info! I don’t ever use seasoning; I do it all from scratch, but I’ll look for that brand. I assume you get it at walmart since the other stuff is their brand. Glad you finally got to enjoy Les Mis!

Susan: we are doing an enforced makeover LOL. The basement flooded may 12 for the 2nd time in 3 years. It’s a pipe that has broken twice now, but I think we got that fixed. It’s impossible to get contractors to work around here; we have so many summer storms they are backed up for months. So that is why it’s October and we just got the carpet put in!

Michele: interesting news about burning calories after exercising!

Yanniejannie: nice to be noticed and offered a job! Yes, Carlos Beltran is a great player who has not been in the world series before. He was injured the other night though; he ran into a wall and got a chest contusion. I’m not sure if he played in game 2 or not, but he went to the hospital in game 1.

Katla: we have Kroger here (it’s Bakers) so I’ll look for that soy sauce. I do use dried beans sometimes but have gotten kind of lazy!

Eileen; welcome to the group. Lots of us here are type 2 diabetics as well,

Teral: you are right about parents having to teach kids the realities of life, but at least mine don’t listen. They want nothing to do with discussions of safe sex, checkbooks, insurance, taxes (DD#1 has never filed even though she could get money back), student loans (Same DD has never gone to talk to the financial aid counselor about loans or grants….she plans to pay cash), taking care of a car…etc, etc, etc. I finally told DD#2 I’m done with trying to teach you this stuff; you’re on your own for finding out!

Anamika: good attitude; that self-beating usually leads me to eat more!

Tina; sounds like a busy weekend for you too! Find some time to relax!

Heather : hope that headache went away!

BJ: sounds like your life is full and wonderful. I love poetry readings

Puzzler: I open a word document and read one post at a time and respond to it. When I’m all done I copy and paste onto mfp. I had several instances of writing directly into the reply area only to have the site go down or my post go into cyber space, so this way works well for me.

Juanita: darling puppy! You’ll get back on track in no time!

Sandy: good job on the weight loss!

Geri: so nice to see you again. Your grandbaby is adorable. So sorry for the loss of your wonderful fur baby. We love our animals don’t we? Life is never the same without them; each one is unique and special.

Grandmallie: take a deep breath. Stress does terrible things to you! Sending hugs.

Well gals I am off to the basement! Take care and have a good evening! Meg from Omaha
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Popping to say that I feel like grandmallie - not having a good food day - not overeating so much yet just not making good choices and I am soon to be on my way to my sister's for some dinner and a housewarming...Lord help us all! Thank goodness I did take a walk. :smile:

Meg, I have found that when that same child turns about 25 they realize how little they do know. I do feel your pain; no fun.

Sure hope everyone has a great evening; Sue and I are having cooler temps tonight - it feels like fall.

~Blessings~

Teral in Plano
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve been reading and trying to keep up with everyone! Sending hugs and prayers to those in need!!!

I have the flu:sick: , and yes, I did have a flu shot:grumble: :angry: ! This is day 9 for me. I opened my 5th box of Kleenex just a little while ago, my nose went from being extremely sore, to numb now:frown: . One of the worst symptoms has been the awful headaches, nothing has eased the pain:sad:, and the coughing....ick! I did go to the Dr. and she said it`s lasting anywhere from 10 to 14 days:noway: :sad: . I have lost a little bit of weight:happy: , although I got on the scale this morning and was up a whole pound:noway: , not sure where it came from:huh: ( I have had no appetite) ! I have been staying home for the most part, drinking lots of fluids and trying to rest. This past week has been really trying though, if it could go wrong, it did, and my sweet doggie Noel has been very yappy, does not help when you`re ready to rip your head off anyhow:explode: !

Congrats to everyone losing and all the great NSV`s!!!!

Sandy:smile: Congrats on the scale finally moving in the right direction for you:bigsmile: !!!!

Anyone have any Halloween plans? I was having a Halloween dinner here tomorrow for the girls, since I`m still sick we are delaying it for another week:sad: . The house is all decorated, guess I`ll just have to leave it up a bit longer:ohwell: !

Have a wonderful night everyone!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold NC
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ladies, so encouraging to read this thread. Good luck to all and especially DeeDee-- the flu sounds awful.

Today I went on a hike in Prince William Forest. It was a beautiful fall day. Two years ago I would have been unable to keep up with the group, but because of MFP and hours of time spent walking, swimming, running and exercising-- I enjoyed myself without a second thought.

Good luck to all and especially DeeDee-- the flu sounds awful.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Need advice again. I have been looking at the Fit Bit since my pedometer seems to be so unpredicatable. There are several kinds of Fit Bit's, Flex, One and Zip. The Zip is the cheapest and you know how that speaks to my husband. Does it track your sleep. And as far as sleep, what do these things tack when you sleep? How restless you are, calories burned during sleep, what? Thanks

Joyce
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I have a fit bit one and I absolutely love it. I didn't want the flex because you wear it on your wrist. I clip mine to my bra strap and leave it there for the day. It comes with a wrist strap that you wear at night and it tracks your movement so you can see how you sleep. I believe all of them link with mfp and estimate calories burned.

Sandy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Joyce, I don't know anything about the FitBit but I have an Omron pedometer model HJ-72OITC...I bought it from Amazon. I carry it in my pocket from early morning until bedtime. It has been very reliable. except that it doesn't count steps if you walk too slow or do certain line dance steps. I use it only to keep track of steps. I've had it for about three years and I love it. It has software that allows me to keep track of steps walked so I can see trends and averages.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: DeeDee, here are flowers for you to help you feel better soon.

:flowerforyou: FiftySixFit,, isn't it a great feeling to be able to keep up with the world....keep coming back and share your progress with us.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, success is inspirational, disaster is educational......you learned a great lesson today about being prepared by bringing your own food.

:flowerforyou: Puzzler, the best parts of this site are logging food, logging exercise, and posting on this thread so you have an encouraging community of supportive friends.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I had a super day that included walking my dogs (a lot), walking with a great friend (for two hours), doing strength training (while watching TV), spending time with my darling hubby, and going to an early morning spiritual meeting......now it's time for bed :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 36,000 steps today
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great sat.I got good news from the dr.He still thinks I have stubborn inflammation.Thinks I over did it this week with walking and cleaning.Thinks also with the gaining of wt didn`t help.Doesn`t see a need for xray at this time.Have home ex to do and come back in a month.
    Leah`s party was so nice.I loved being able to see my 4 grand children at once.Gonna try posting a pic later.
    Promised the dr I would loose 4 lbs by appt.Also suggested I don`t go below 1200.
    HUGS
    jane