WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2013

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - I'm so sorry to hear you have the flu. That's awful! I hate coughing more than about anything. Sometimes I kept saltine crackers on the head of the bed and tried to nibble a cracker if I felt the cough coming. Of course I couldn't do that now that I've cut back on sodium, and also those little things are loaded with calories. When I have a tickle in the back of my throat that's making me cough, I squirt Chloraseptic all the way to the back of my throat and it kills the tickle for a little while. It doesn't taste good, but at least I can get some rest for a while. I wonder how many calories that stuff has?

I hope you get some relief and feel better soon.

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    katla - when I first get into the water, it usually feels cold. I always say to myself "chocolate chip cookie, chocolate chip cookie" because I figure I'm burning enough for an extra chocolate chip cookie. Don't know how true this is, but it helps me get in the cool water! I'm sure the water exercise continues to burn even after you get out of exercise class. I just don't know if it's as high a burn versus land aerobics as they say. But I'm sure you're continuing to burn. As I understand it, I don't remember the extact numbers, but when you weight train you burn something like 3x as many calories after exercise as when you do aerobics. Makes sense since so many muscles are working. We have a hazardous waste recycling next weekend. However, one of the things I was going to take were all these cans of spray no-stick (for cakes, etc) and now that we can put them in the recycling bin starting Nov. 4, I just put them all in there. We really don't have much, so I don't even know if we're going to go. Just a few batteries and a spray can that had paint in it.

To people who have a Kroeger's near them: does Kroeger sell their own buttermilk in pint containers (not just quart)? Do they carry any brand of whole wheat breadcrumbs or even panko? These are the two items I have a friend get at Harris Teeter which was recently bought out by Kroeger. Do they sell the Betty Crocker low fat brownie mix (low fat)?

Eileen in ND - welcome!

Teral - when is #8 expected???? Congrats

Tina - you sound so very busy

Did an hour of yoga this morning. It's so cold, it just came on so fast that I wasn't ready for it. That's probably why I feel it more. Tomorrow I'll do a DVD of pilates. Then a guy who worked for Vince is going to stop by, I've already accounted for the meal.

Heather - feel better fast

puzzler - the areas on this site that I defintely use are the logging of the food, this thread, and the recipe which calculates the nutritionals for you. Honestly, I really don't use any other part of this site. What I do in responding to some people is I keep a window open in WordPad and as I get to the post, before I forget what it is I was going to say, I write it down in that window. Then I just copy and paste the whole thing. I keep track of which post I read last by making a note at the bottom of the page like "page 11 - puzzler". I make sure I save the document after every entry, there are times when the computer cuts out for no apparent reason

Sandy - I'm constantly amazed at how much water I drink when I'm in the pool. The worst part is that I have to run to the bathroom all the time. But the good part is that if I'm having a hot flash, the pool is the place to have it....lol Sometimes I can't figure out if I'm sweating because I';m having a hot flash or because I'm working so hard. That reminds me. Last time I went there early expecting to swim some laps and use my water shoes (they really add resistance!) I could have sworn they were in my one bag but when I went to get them, they weren't there. They must be in my other bag. Yup, that's where they were

Geri - so sorry about Charlie.

Just got back from the social. Why is it that people tend to want all the mayonnaisey-type salads? Those were the first to go. I just had my 2 veggie burgers, Nature's Own round, some salad and 2 pieces of bruschetta. When we got home, I had one of those 3 Musketeers minis and now I'm having hot chocolate. I think the quick add calories that I accounted for will take care of that (I'd already acounted for the veggie burgers and round)

After the meal I played the "new" canasta. I've never played that. Really, there isn't that much difference between that and the "old" canasta. But it was still interesting.

Sylvia - I do hope your son is wrong about the impending divorce. But if it comes to a divorce, maybe its for the best if she resents his kids. What about the unsalted tops saltines? Are they still too high in sodium for you?

Meg - I know for a fact that you do continue to burn calories after exercising, I just don't remember the exact numbers. I do remember that you burn more after doing weight training than cardio, tho

DeeDee - you poor dear! Sending virtual chicken soup to you (along with Vaseline for your nose). No special Halloween plans. I'm having mahjongg here Mon night mainly because one of the gals really wants to see the decorations. The one gal who usually leaves early to watch "Bones" I told her she could just watch it here.

Joyce - good questions about the FitBit. I'll be intersted to read the answers. I'm reading some of the reviews of the FitBit One on Amazon. Some of them will tell you things you'd never thought of. There's a lot of discussion about how it adds steps when you're in a car and some people seem to feel that it can easily get lost. Personally, I'm waiting for them to come out with something that not only calculates steps but also has the ability to monitor your heartrate. I don't know if I want to spend that much money on just a pedometer.

janemartin - great news from the doc

Michele in NC
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Arhh...just hit a key and wiped out my previous post. Beautiful day here...cool, crisp air and sunny. Weighed in and lost a pound...who-hoo! Tonight I did not have a drink or eat bread, red meat or any complex carbs. Wasn't gonna blow my loss. Tying to stay at 1200 cals and lift weights more. Planked for 1m and 15 sec...it is sooo hard to do.
    It's bedtime for this bonzo.
    susan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Hi there all. My throat is really suffering now and my cough is worse. But I feel better in myself. Did my gymming today and will do a minimum of weight training. No planking - I can't face it!:cry: Nearly lost my voice altogether.

One more cake to make and then then it's making pudding next week. The first cake turned out fabulous!:happy:
    I will finish my tax return tomorrow, but I've done all the calculations.. I'm due for a refund!

Dee dee - flu -- how horrible! I haven't got any kind of temperature so it's not flu, but I empathise. I hope you eventually get to enjoy your Halloween. We don't make so much of Halloween over here, though children do go door to door. Our bigger celebration is Guy Fawkes Day on November 5th when we celebrate the fact that conspirators failed to blow up the king and parliament. There are bonfires with effigies of Guy burnt on them and fireworks, both public displays and in people's gardens. It is a very noisy night and in London the noise was deafening. Also people let them off for weeks either side. Down here in the countryside the farmer has a huge bonfire in the field behind us and huge fireworks for his five children, so we get a free show. When I was a child children used to make a "Guy" and sit in the street with it asking for a "penny for the guy". My mother said it was begging and wouldn't let me. I used to love the 5th. The smell of burnt gunpowder and the damp squibs in the garden with my fsther trying to light the firworks which half the time refused to work. There were ones called "jumping jacks", which are now banned, which threatened to jump down inside my wellington boots. Terrifying! We did do a few garden shows for the kids when they were young and I hope they remember them.

Fiftysixfit- great NSV.:flowerforyou: It's so great to be fit. It's my biggest surprise since losing weight. I first did it to be slim and look nice in clothes, but now I value the fitness angle just as much.

Janemartin- I had groin strain for several months, but it eventually went away. Really painful.

Susan - 1 lb lost! Yeah!:flowerforyou: Doesn't it put a smile on your face!

Love to all. I was up in the night coughing, but I really am enjoying reading The Happiness Hypothesis while I am awake! So it is making me happy!:laugh:

Heather in sunny, soon to be very, very stormy UK
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    1380600_10201817318170698_155438605_n.jpg

Ziplining yesterday at Go Ape, it was a fun day and the weather was perfect.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning, Ladies!

It has taken me so long to read the posts and write notes that I have run out of time to chat! I will be back after church.

Michele- I agree w/ Katla; it is amazing how helpful cooks/chefs will be to please customers. No salt should be an easy and often heard request. Substitutes can usually be made easily for almost any side. If the restaurant wants your business, they will try to keep you there and happy. Ask, it surely can't hurt.

Yanniejannie- Maybe the job offer is a sign that you have lots to offer people and this is a way to share those offerings. Think it over, carefully, and do what is right for you.

Joyce- Crockpots! There are wonderful soup recipes w/ low sodium that can be thrown in a crockpot and forgotten until you are ready to eat! I have a small crockpot and a super-big crockpot. I use the little one when I am here alone, and we use the big one when SO moves in for the winter. The crockpot soups are delicious and much healthier than the canned soups.

Eileen- Welcome! You will find lots of support here.

TazGirl- I hear you! Thursday and Friday were very bad days for me. It sounds like you are going to have a busy weekend. That will burn off some of those extra October Fest calories for you. Take care!

Sandy- Congratulations on the weight loss!

(((((Grandmallie)))))- I give good hugs! Take care, my Friend.

DeeDee- I am so sorry that you are sick.

Suzy- Oh, that ziplining looks like great fun!

TTYL!
    Pat (Phoo in Az)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Zip lining really looks like fun! I have thought about it before, but didn't think I could do it because I was so heavy. Maybe that will be my big reward once I lose the weight. And horseback riding too. Thanks for the photo.

Has anybody done an exercise called "stomach vacuum" or "ab vacuum". I saw it mentioned in another thread and looked up a video on YouTube. It looks like something I could do. But they didn't say how often to do it. It looks like it might help with my terrible tummy.

Our local grocery store has a fantastic bakery, and they had their fresh baked french bread on sale yesterday for 99 cents! Hubby loves that stuff. I don't eat it anymore, but I love to smell it. So this morning I made french toast for hubby and it looked so good I ate one bite about the size of a quarter. Oh, how I wish I had never tasted it! It reminded me how much I miss real food. It's a miracle I didn't fly off the wagon and scarf it all up! I don't even know how to log one bite onto my calories. Hubby ate four pieces plus half of the extra one I made for the dogs to share. Good thing I only make it when we're at the lake and he doesn't eat like that every day.

Now he's upstairs grading papers and I'm downstairs with a Bruno on my lap watching squirrels. We'll head back to town so I can go to the girls school this afternoon.

Have a great Sunday!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.
    I am so disappointed in myself and confused.I wt myself and up 20 lbs again.I`v gained almost 100 lbs in a year.I don`t see how.
    I keep my calories below 1500,most times less than 1200.I have a thyroid disorder.The levels are ok now.
    I`m not giving up.I promised the dr I would loose 4 lbs by next appt.I know I`m limited cos of the pain.
    frustrated,
    jane
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele – we get panko at Kroger all the time, I even think they have their own brand. DH works at the Kroger pharmacy so we do most of our shopping there and have never had any problem getting a product. You can always ask the manager to order something in for you, as well. RE: buttermilk, I’ve never noticed what sizes they carry, but can’t you freeze any excess in a muffin tin or ice cube tray? And I have seen low fat mixes in the baking aisle.

DeeDee – I’m so sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon.

Joyce – I have the basic FitBit model that costs about $60 and am very pleased with it. I have clipped it on my bra strap, but mostly clip it to the waist band of my underwear. I have not had any trouble gaining unearned steps while driving, etc. I even tried to fake it out after reading that, but it has not added any steps as far as I can tell. I didn’t feel a need to have one monitoring my sleep or sync w/MFP, so the basic is just fine. I log my exercise differently than by the number of steps, i.e., by minutes of circuit training, walking, etc.

Gail, metro ATL
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    2d930jm.jpg
    (L-R) Georgia Gals -- Laura (Yardtigress), Gail (Gardengail) and Lorraine (luiescott). (My friend Sue, who is not on MFP, but joined us yesterday, took the picture.) We had a great time getting to know each other and found we had so many common interests, including a wide range of hobbies – pets, all sorts of needlework and sewing, gardening, etc. On our way to Gibbs Gardens we stopped at a local shop with all sorts of fibers for knitting, crocheting, and jewelry making.

Ta-da!!

Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have a rainy morning and it feels cozy inside. It looks like we got the fishing boat put into the storage unit at just the right time. Yay! :bigsmile: I gave a promise to DH that we could bring it home for more work the next time we get a dry spell. Today we’re going to go to the dreaded mall. :noway: Macy's and Penney's are both having sales. We need new sheets and I still need long pants. Two pairs are not enough. Three counting the skinny jeans, but they’re for occasional use rather than every day. DH needs some shirts. He was given a whole bunch of Levi’s that hadn’t been worn when we visited his sister. They’d belonged to their friend who had “outgrown” them before even wearing them. That was good luck for us.:flowerforyou:

Puzzler: The most valuable assets of this site are the goal setting, and food logging. Never let them go. I didn’t find this group for a few weeks when I started, but it is awesome and really helps me stay motivated. It is also a best asset. I have tried using the recipe feature a little bit to get calorie and nutrition information for the foods I cook. I’m still learning about it and have been more than a little frustrated with the measurement of ingredients. They need to add a converter so we can measure in conventional cups and teaspoons or metric units and not have to go through endless lists of ingredients to find the format we need.:flowerforyou:

Sandy from ON: Congratulations on the loss.:flowerforyou:

Geri in UK: Losing a dog is tough. :cry: You have my sincere sympathy. When our last dog died unexpectedly from a bee sting we were devastated. I was still working and didn’t want DH to be home alone day in and day out, so we went looking for a pup right away. It was a good choice for us. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: It is wonderful that you have a close relationship with your grandchildren. :heart: I wish your son and his wife the best and think you are beyond wise to stay out of their issues. I’ve never heard of wasps that aren’t aggressive. The ones around here are NASTY. :grumble: Have a good day.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I hope you get over the flu quickly. :sick: You’ve had too many rounds of sickness this year and it is your turn to feel great. :flowerforyou: We have no Halloween plans. We decorated outside but not inside the house this year. We do have some candy on hand just in case someone does come, but we don't usually have any trick or treaters here.:ohwell:

FiftySixFit: Congratulations on your good hike in Prince William Forest. Isn’t it great to be a “new and improved” self? :bigsmile:

Susan: I open a word document on my desktop and write my posts there as I go along. It doesn’t wipe out everything if I hit a wrong key, which I usually do. Then I copy and paste it into MFP when I’m ready. I know there are others who also use this method.:flowerforyou:

Suzy in DE: I love the picture! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the experience when I tried it, but didn’t get back in line for “seconds.” The thing I enjoyed most was the satisfaction of stepping out of my comfort zone and taking a risk. I discovered I am a braver person than I’d thought.:bigsmile:

JaneMartin: Are you logging every bite and swallow? How is your sodium level and water intake? Weight can fluctuate quite a bit due to water retention. I’d look at those two things as a start.:flowerforyou:

Gail: Wonderful photo! Thank you for sharing.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

October goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    2d930jm.jpg
    (L-R) Georgia Gals -- Laura (Yardtigress), Gail (Gardengail) and Lorraine (luiescott). (My friend Sue, who is not on MFP, but joined us yesterday, took the picture.) We had a great time getting to know each other and found we had so many common interests, including a wide range of hobbies – pets, all sorts of needlework and sewing, gardening, etc. On our way to Gibbs Gardens we stopped at a local shop with all sorts of fibers for knitting, crocheting, and jewelry making.

Ta-da!!

Gail, metro ATL

Ooh, looks like y'all had fun. Next time, maybe I can fit it in.

Dave and I actually came in first in the Walk for Paws, not just in our age group, but first of everybody. It was totally a walk, not a run. We didn't win anything, but they had lots of certificates for the dogs: oldest, youngest, cutest, best looking, friendliest, smallest, largest. I think they all got something, LOL.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    today started off well, but I am just beside myself now.
    we went and picked up DGD yesterday from the place they were taking pictures, I dont know what the bride was thinking when she put the bridesmaids in cocktail dresses with lace upper part and cap sleeves, it had to be in the 40's and windy as all get out, and my DD and DGD were the only ones that had there coats, they had to take them off for pictures, my DD when she flew in was so sick she was green, and dreaded flying home, I got her bonine and told her to take it before her flight.
    my whole family went out for breakfast this morning which was wonderful, got a few pictures, and then I took my DD and DGD to see DGD other GF and step GM,we were there an hr, then Tracy's boyfriend asked us to go see his grandparent's who live out in the sticks, were were there about 20 minutes, had enough time to get home get her stuff in the car and get her to the airport...
    I had to park because Taliah had fallen asleep and Tracy needed help with luggage.
    the last image I saw before they went through security was my lil baby carrying a huge mickey mouse and huge crocodile tears streaming down her face because she didnt want to leave. that's all she kept telling her mom, she wanted to stay at grandma and grandpa's
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think what I was wondering most about the fit bit was whether it measures calories burned doing the strength exercises.

Oh that zip line looks so exciting. I think sometime if I ever want to do something like that I would have to go with a group of adventurous women or my son in law.

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    joyce- I have the fit bit flex, it measures steps, sleep, calories burned, not strength training though.
    I am emotionally exsausted ,Im going to bed, hopefully feel better in the morning.:frown:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DeeDee - I am sorry that you have the flu so badly. I hope you recover quickly.

:flowerforyou: Love the Georgia Gals picture. What a wonderful idea to get together where possible.

:flowerforyou: Jane - that must be so frustrating for you to gain. I hope you do not get discouraged. The type of food is also important. I aim for nutrient rich, which typically means lean meats and lots of veggies. Portion control is critical, which means weighing your food. Do you use a food scale? Certainly age has a lot to do with it. I have not lost an ounce in about a month, but I am kicking up the exercise a notch.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia - I looked up "Stomach Vacuum" and I could do that. The repetition is 3 sets of 20 seconds 3x week, and build up to 60 seconds per set. It targets the innermost tummy muscles (they say).

:drinker: I just came back from a fundraiser by Jazzercise in support of Breast Cancer research. Tomorrow I see the doctor because my lower back is still hurting (although it does not stop me from exercising) and I injured my right knee last week. The back pain has been chronic for more than a year now, and it got worse when I started my walking program in January. So I need to have a diagnoses and then I can determine what the treatment should be. I have tried everything I can think of for now, including resting, anti-inflammation meds, chiropractor, massage, different types of exercises. I know swimming would be a good exercise but frankly, I hate swimming. I can assure you that he will say that one of the key "treatments" is to lose more weight, to relieve pressure on the spine. I have also been wondering if my scoliosis has something to do with it.

It has been a fantastic October here, and the fall colours are amazing.

:heart: See you later
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been tooooooooooo busy lately since hubby's been working full time. Besides keeping things together around the house, going to work myself and walking the dogs, I'm having to wrap things up at the garden without his help this year. :sad: it's amazing how easy it seemed when he was helping! :laugh: I still have many veggies to harvest, but yesterday I brought home all of the parsnips and kale, then blanched and froze them all. I'm loving life, really, just have lots to do!!

Hope everyone's doing great, I'll try to check in soon and read up!

DeeDee, get well!

Love the Georgia Gals pic, how sweet!

:smile: jb in Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been tooooooooooo busy lately since hubby's been working full time. Besides keeping things together around the house, going to work myself and walking the dogs, I'm having to wrap things up at the garden without his help this year. :sad: it's amazing how easy it seemed when he was helping! :laugh: I still have many veggies to harvest, but yesterday I brought home all of the parsnips and kale, then blanched and froze them all. I'm loving life, really, just have lots to do!!

Hope everyone's doing great, I'll try to check in soon and read up!

DeeDee, get well!

Love the Georgia Gals pic, how sweet!

:smile: jb in Portland

JB: It is wonderful to hear from you! I've been wondering if you'd fallen off he planet & I'm glad it isn't true. It sounds as though you're busy and things are going well. Check in when you can. You've been missed.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well, I blew it! I ate mac & cheese. It was soooo gooood! I had a bag of cooked pasta that was left over from the party and I made another casserole of mac. I planned to portion it out for my Dad's meals and have DH eat the balance. Well, DH ate some and said it was great, so I had to taste...a lot. Grrr. It was bite after bite, spoonful and another, just a little more. I bet I ate a plateful. Then about 30 minutes later ate granola!!!!

Gail- I didn't know you can freeze buttermilk. That's good to know. I freeze peeled bananas, cheese and of course mac & cheese. I need to get the rest of the mac & cheese in the freezer...fast!
    BTW, great pic of the Georgia girls. Sounds like a fun day!

Heather- I am going to have to get a copy of the Happiness Hypothesis. Am reading Lowlands presently. Seem to have a pile of books in need of reading at my bedside.

Katla- I agree with you about your advice regarding the food log. It is essential for me, really reigns me in and I have a better understanding of the quality of my food with the nutritional analysis. It's great.

going to read the posts on the mfp message boards. Learn a lot from them. Sometimes they're funny and some are just mean and awful snarky. I do like the before and after pics. They're amazing.

Go Cards!
    Susan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think I’ve gained enough weight to satisfy all the doctors so now I have to make some changes in my eating to stop the gaining. Boo Hoo…..a few favorite goodies will have to go. Fortunately I didn’t go too far off the path that helped me lose weight so it won’t be too hard to get back on track.

:bigsmile: Suzy, that ziplining looks like an awesome experience…you look great in the picture

:bigsmile: Georgia Gals….you look awesome in your picture. What fun it must have been to get together.

:flowerforyou: Renny, it’s probably time to get a professional opinion about your back, but have you tried Ice?

:flowerforyou: Katla, the older I get, the less I like shopping……I bought my last two pairs of jeans online but I did have to go to the shoe store for my shoes.

:flowerforyou: Jane, never, never, never give up…..some things that helped me were to get away from processed foods (things in cans and packages), add more veggies, and break up with bread and cheese. With practice I learned to do without dressings and sauces. Keep looking to make your eating more nutrition dense.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, I can’t take even one bite of foods that are a problem for me…..I learned that the hard way.

:flowerforyou: Susan, I wouldn’t dare have a bit of macaroni and cheese or I’d do just what you did and eat too much.

:flowerforyou: The sky was clearing when I walked the dogs before breakfast---I could see the moon and the stars----so after breakfast I was shocked when five minutes into the walk it started raining hard and I had to go back to the house and get a hat with a brim to keep the rain off my glasses. I was soaked through several layers of clothing two hours later when we got home. It cleared later so Jake could power wash the house and I could walk the dogs with dry head and feet.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 24,000 steps today