Your dog

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I promise next time I won't let my pit bull off the leash and yell "sick 'em!!!"

I swear
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Well, there is a huge difference between a dog running up toward you and a dog attacking you, so it is worth mentioning. If you know and are comfortable with dog behavior you'd probably be more comfortable on your runs in neighborhoods with dogs, imho.

I can't decide if it's rude or not. I'd have to see the specific case, the neighborhood, the dog, etc.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to keep pets restrained. Allowing pets to roam the neighbourhood is potentially dangerous for them (other animals, vehicles) and for people. It's the responsibility of the owner, since they know their pets' temperament and others don't. If a small child gets knocked over by a happy dog, they can still get hurt. If someone has been attacked by a pet before, they could have eeveloped a fear of them. And having a strange dog following you is stinkin annoying. I had one follow me every time I went running for a few weeks and then one day he displayed aggressive behavior and was growling at me, hair up and teeth bared He was a neighbour's dog and the neighbour didn't care. So the next time I ran, I carried a knife. Thankfully I never needed to use it.

I love my dog, that's why I have taught him manners around people and keep him in a big fenced yard when he's not inside.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    That wasn't my Labrador retriever. It was my neighbor's boxer. He will get himself run over one day...until then I keep my dog closely at heel when we walk by his house and myself ready to pepper spray him.
    The Baroness is in the house or on a tie out in the fenced back yard if we aren't walking her on a leash. The fence is to keep the boxer and the blue heeler out. The heeler has outgrown running away but she was a mess as a puppy.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

<--- Damn! That means she finally broke the only window that she hadn't broken, yet, this year. She's a bit neurotic about laces, but if you are running bare foot you should be fine.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    One time while I was running, a guy in a car rolled up next to me and started yelling at me for having my dog off leash. I explained to him that 1) I didn't own a dog and 2) the animal he was pointing at was a coyote.

Sorry, what was the question?
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    I love animals and have 3 dogs, but I really hate that too. It messes up my run.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I really like dogs, but they shouldn't be permitted to run free. It isn't safe for the dogs, and it isn't fair to people who are afraid of dogs.
    agreed
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Well, there is a huge difference between a dog running up toward you and a dog attacking you, so it is worth mentioning. If you know and are comfortable with dog behavior you'd probably be more comfortable on your runs in neighborhoods with dogs, imho.

I can't decide if it's rude or not. I'd have to see the specific case, the neighborhood, the dog, etc.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to keep pets restrained. Allowing pets to roam the neighbourhood is potentially dangerous for them (other animals, vehicles) and for people. It's the responsibility of the owner, since they know their pets' temperament and others don't. If a small child gets knocked over by a happy dog, they can still get hurt. If someone has been attacked by a pet before, they could have eeveloped a fear of them. And having a strange dog following you is stinkin annoying. I had one follow me every time I went running for a few weeks and then one day he displayed aggressive behavior and was growling at me, hair up and teeth bared He was a neighbour's dog and the neighbour didn't care. So the next time I ran, I carried a knife. Thankfully I never needed to use it.

I love my dog, that's why I have taught him manners around people and keep him in a big fenced yard when he's not inside.

A knife, wow. Sounds messy and potentially ineffective. In my old neighborhood there was a big dog that used to run loose and attack my dog when we were out walking. I carried pepper spray or a boat horn -- you can get a very small, very loud horn at boating stores and I think that would scare pretty much anything off without the pesky piercing of vital organs.
  • metaphoria

A knife, wow. Sounds messy and potentially ineffective. In my old neighborhood there was a big dog that used to run loose and attack my dog when we were out walking. I carried pepper spray or a boat horn -- you can get a very small, very loud horn at boating stores and I think that would scare pretty much anything off without the pesky piercing of vital organs.

I grabbed what I could find. It was that or a skillet.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    OP, I'm a dog lover but I sympathise. But you're kinda lashing out on most of us for no reason and coming off as a drama queen.

Next time something like this happens, call the cops. Good dogs need good owners and even if a dog is not vicious or anything, letting them run around like this is a safety hazzard to not only people (many are afraid of dogs) but also to the dogs (getting hit by car, getting pepper sprayed by someone afraid of dogs etc.)

Next time when you create a thread, I suggest you be reasonable and not lash out. Perhaps grab one of the non-threatening looking dogs and hug them or let them lick you and make your day better so you don't try to make our day bad
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Unfortunately it was not the dog's fault. The dog was just being a dog. Much of the time they end up paying for their owners stupidity, ignorance, indifference or other lack.

I understand peoples frustration with such dog owners, I have them myself, but punishing or even worse hurting the dog because you lose your self control isn't going to win you any karma points. You are the one with a brain and a conscious mind; you should try using them.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member

Maybe try 2 skillets and then you could incorporate some upper body strength training into your run. I see the beginning of a new fitness movement! :smile:
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    As a runner and a dog owner I trained my dog to never jump up on people. If I'm running and a dog runs at me I run at the dog and they always get out of my way . In dog understanding it's a sign of dominance. I never have a problem...
  • In our neck of the woods (yes, literally) we routinely wind up our 3 mile loop walk/ runs with 4-5 dogs that don't belong to us, packing along behind, around or with us. Only 2 biters on the road... I take a stick with me, I will only use it if I need it - usually for snakes, etc... not the dogs. I have dogs of my own, but sadly have to leave them at home because we gather more dogs and can't even hardly move if I take them along on leashes. True the Yorkie or Beagles I could carry, but the St. Weiler is kinda big at about 90 pounds, kinda dumb, and still learning his paces. He does awesome if there are no other dogs around, but if there are people, he wants so bad to go visit, but stays at heel or sitting (not so still) until told he can move... We keep ours kennelled/ penned or in the house... just safer for our dogs... cars do a lot of damage really quick.
  • metaphoria

Maybe try 2 skillets and then you could incorporate some upper body strength training into your run. I see the beginning of a new fitness movement! :smile:

Its like prancersizing but you cook bacon afterward! Brilliant!
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Most dog owners, I have come to learn, do not give a rat's *kitten* whether or not you want their dog up in your business. In fact, they will get upset at you for suggesting that their dog should somehow be restrained from going anywhere they want, running after whoever they want, and sniffing wherever they want.

Twice I sprayed water on dogs that approached me...both times the female owners lost their ****, yelled and screamed at me, and physically threatened me. One held her walking stick up as if to hit me, and I stood there looking right at her and said "go for it. I could really use the money" so she did the smart thing and walked away, while yelling at me about what a terrible person I am. The other screamed "if you ever do that again I will take you down!!!" I'm not exaggerating even a tiny bit.

You're a tattoed, pierced up freak. How would you feel if every Senior Citizen your appearance scares started Attacking you with their Cane or Walker. Really no difference...

You're a judgmental awful person.

DIF

Oh and I agree that people should really watch their dogs. My little monsters are psychopaths. They really don't care for anyone but my family and will literally bite ankles. We keep them inside and tie them up when we have company so they don't do any damage.

Oh and FYI a dog owner who risks their dog biting other people is really being cruel to their animal. A dog that bites a person may be put down if the bitten party puts up enough of a stink. It happens. Protecting other people from your dogs is protecting your dogs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I really like dogs, but they shouldn't be permitted to run free. It isn't safe for the dogs, and it isn't fair to people who are afraid of dogs.
    agreed

Also agree. Former dog trainer, love my dogs.

But, I get pissed when I get chased. Leash laws exist for the safety of everyone, including the dogs.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    some of you people have an awful lot of issues with dogs..was someone not puppy kissed enough as a child? ya'll need a nap and some cookies!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I keep my dogs on lead, too, even though they wouldn't hurt anyone not trying to hurt me.

But at my parents' condo, you'll have the odd dog come up with his owner after running in the big spacious area, still off lead for a moment in the front yards, and the dog runs over and says hi. For all I know, that's what the OP meant.

Or like in my area, where there is no leash law and a lot of the country folks' dogs are trained to go to a certain spot and stop. They really do stop. I can't say I'd do that with mine, but I don't get scared when their dogs come within yards of me walking, because that's still their territory. They stop. But it can freak out a newcomer who walks by, I imagine.

I don't know. When I was a kid, a jogger came into our yard with a baton and took out my dog's eye. After several surgeries, he had to have it removed. He wasn't out of our yard, ever. Apparently the guy thought it was wrong for him to run towards the edge of his yard and alert. He did alert as the guy ran by every day. So? He never got too close and never would. I'd have to hear what someone meant by 'running up at them' since that! Was the dog in the road or still in its own yard, etc? Does chasing mean the dog is in or out of his own yard? That sort of thing.

But in the country, a lot of folks use their dogs for real protection, so context matters. Don't cut through someone's yard out in the country, lol :D Folks usually know that.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Unfortunately it was not the dog's fault. The dog was just being a dog. Much of the time they end up paying for their owners stupidity, ignorance, indifference or other lack.

I understand peoples frustration with such dog owners, I have them myself, but punishing or even worse hurting the dog because you lose your self control isn't going to win you any karma points. You are the one with a brain and a conscious mind; you should try using them.

QFT

I'm glad that dogs running free isn't the norm where I am, we all take much more care over keeping our dogs safe and secure. As a dog trainer and an owner of reactive dogs, particularly one who WOULD chase anything fast moving, I feel it is responsible to maintain safe control - so in his case, he stays on a lead the majority of the time so he doesn't get the chance to practice the unwanted behaviour, no point in setting dogs up to fail, then berrating them for doing what comes naturally.

Probably could've found a better way of posting your dislike however, rather than alienating many people by generalising about their effing dogs :wink:
This discussion has been closed.