Your dog

Replies

• i have tried to train my dog to sit/stay when a runner or mountain biker goes past. he's pretty good about it. i some people though (usually men, in dark clothes) he really wants to chase. i have had one incident that put the fear of god into me and i don't fault the runner for being extremely pissed off.

i have heard that you should remain very still if a dog runs at you (obviously annoying if you are on a run...) and the owner can get the dog away from you by not grabbing it's collar, but my pulling on it's back legs - this upsets the dog's balance and allows the owner to regain control.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

As a distance cyclist, I totally understand. We don't know if the dog is going to be friendly or not. If the dog is chasing me, I have full reign to kick it in the face to prevent injury to myself. Before y'all judge me, I'm an animal lover but I don't want to suffer a bite and hard fall at 14-16MPH. If I have to take such measures to protect myself, it is the dog owner's fault.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    some of you people have an awful lot of issues with dogs..was someone not puppy kissed enough as a child? ya'll need a nap and some cookies!

No, but twice have had dogs jump up on me from behind on a trail, completely surprising me (I had headphones on) and scaring the hell out of me. Owners several paces behind looking at birds. I've also had dogs off leash run at me with teeth bared, slober all over me and stick their noses in my crotch. I don't think it's unreasonable to find that unacceptable. It's my personal space.

Btw, I love dogs.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    some of you people have an awful lot of issues with dogs..was someone not puppy kissed enough as a child? ya'll need a nap and some cookies!

No, but twice have had dogs jump up on me from behind on a trail, completely surprising me (I had headphones on) and scaring the hell out of me. Owners several paces behind looking at birds. I've also had dogs off leash run at me with teeth bared, slober all over me and stick their noses in my crotch. I don't think it's unreasonable to find that unacceptable. It's my personal space.

Btw, I love dogs.

i just think instead of everyone getting all pissy at the dog, get mad at the owner but dont rant here talked to the owner.
    personally i love dogs, as a child walking to the bus stop i was attacked by a rottweiler, and i do mean attacked, but i still love dogs. i understand everyone is different and some may be fearful of dogs, but dont jump to the conclusion that ALL dogs are going to attack you.
    i get personal space and whatnot and i dont let my dogs off the leash anymore simply because my rescue boxer likes to give everyone kisses, my pitbull would never leave my side he is trained very well. but i wouldnt want to risk someone getting scared and hurting my poor animal just because they have issues with dogs off their leashes
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

Why do you assume the dog is trying to attack you? Have you never seen a dog run up to someone just to say hi?

And if it really is a safety issue (for the dog or people on the street) doing nothing but posting on an online message board ensures that absolutely nothing will change. Stop being passive aggressive and ring the doorbell, talk to the "stupid" dog owner. If the dog is any threat to attack an innocent person on the street, call animal control.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Bad owners. Its all about the owner and not the dog.
    Lots of people have dogs and cant control them. Keep your dog leashed if you cant make it listen to you.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member

Why do you assume the dog is trying to attack you? Have you never seen a dog run up to someone just to say hi?

And if it really is a safety issue (for the dog or people on the street) doing nothing but posting on an online message board ensures that absolutely nothing will change. Stop being passive aggressive and ring the doorbell, talk to the "stupid" dog owner. If the dog is any threat to attack an innocent person on the street, call animal control.

the point is, you don't know. as a runner, when an animal starts charging at you, there's no way to know if it's going to be violent or just friendly. you assume the worst, and adrenaline kicks in.

as for posting about it on here: ya'll need to shut the **** up about ragging on that. there are so many nonsense posts and venting threads created. you guys KNOW this. so shut up.

it's not the damn dog's fault in any case, it's the irresponsible humans.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member

As a distance cyclist, I totally understand. We don't know if the dog is going to be friendly or not. If the dog is chasing me, I have full reign to kick it in the face to prevent injury to myself. Before y'all judge me, I'm an animal lover but I don't want to suffer a bite and hard fall at 14-16MPH. If I have to take such measures to protect myself, it is the dog owner's fault.

YES. precisely THIS!
  • elyelyse
    the point is, you don't know. as a runner, when an animal starts charging at you, there's no way to know if it's going to be violent or just friendly. you assume the worst, and adrenaline kicks in.

This x 10000000000
  • All I know is that if my beasts were to get away from me and come at you, you'd better watch out because you'd be in trouble. They weigh a staggering 4 lbs between them and they mean business.

Ollie.jpg

Toby.jpg

OllieandToby.jpg

Good lord almighty that's cute!

And I agree with everyone else that says do NOT be mad at the dog... they're just being dogs. It's the pitiful owners that don't take responsibility for their dogs. Same with children, (up to a certain age) if you don't teach them then they don't know. There are leash laws for a reason... to protect the people AND the dogs. I can't stand people that just let their dogs out the FRONT door to go potty and just shut the door and wait for the dog to come scratch on the door. Meanwhile it's running in the road with cars going by, it's following runners and walkers and also taking the chance of being stolen (happens A LOT in our area).

HAVE A HAPPY SUNDAY! GET YOUR PETS SPAYED OR NEUTERED! lol
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Y'all all make great points, and I'm not disagreeing. However (lol)... one of the 'problems' with dogs is that the adrenaline you get if you are afraid of them is like a signal to them that there is a crisis. If at all possible, y'all, stay calm and try to assume you're fine. You'll literally be fine more often if you can project that confidence, because it tells the dog that everything is fine and you are no threat.

And if you are running or biking and there is a real problem dog, you might want to stop and walk slowly and confidently unless you are really fast. That running away thing can get dogs going, because some get in predator mode.

Hopefully there aren't really that many problem dogs, but who knows? I could believe that a lot of owners don't care to train their animals. You don't see it much where I am, but untrained animals here don't stand a chance between the fast drivers and the predator wildlife out here.
  • Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

Every post i read on MFP makes me like my dog more...

dude man up its not going to attack you, the dog just wants to say Hi
    Dont get your pink compression shorts in a twist
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

how is anyone supposed to know that your dog is just trying to say hi? If I'm out running and a strange animal is charging toward me, I'm not going to be all 'hey puppy!' I'm going to tense and try to get out of there.

Also, some people are afraid of dogs. Is it that difficult to keep your dog on a leash?

Point being, as sweet as your dog may be, the world does not revolve around it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    One time while I was running, a guy in a car rolled up next to me and started yelling at me for having my dog off leash. I explained to him that 1) I didn't own a dog and 2) the animal he was pointing at was a coyote.

Sorry, what was the question?

That's awesome. :laugh:
  • elyelyse
    Y'all all make great points, and I'm not disagreeing. However (lol)... one of the 'problems' with dogs is that the adrenaline you get if you are afraid of them is like a signal to them that there is a crisis. If at all possible, y'all, stay calm and try to assume you're fine. You'll literally be fine more often if you can project that confidence, because it tells the dog that everything is fine and you are no threat.

And if you are running or biking and there is a real problem dog, you might want to stop and walk slowly and confidently unless you are really fast. That running away thing can get dogs going, because some get in predator mode.

Hopefully there aren't really that many problem dogs, but who knows? I could believe that a lot of owners don't care to train their animals. You don't see it much where I am, but untrained animals here don't stand a chance between the fast drivers and the predator wildlife out here.

Running away will put some dogs in predator mode.... Sorry, but I'm out for a RUN!!!!

So I should change the way I move, the way I stand, the way I breathe, my pace, my attitude, etc...in order to ensure that someone else's dog doesn't approach me? Why is this on me? I have done all those things...I shouldn't freakin have to.
  • Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

how is anyone supposed to know that your dog is just trying to say hi? If I'm out running and a strange animal is charging toward me, I'm not going to be all 'hey puppy!' I'm going to tense and try to get out of there.

Also, some people are afraid of dogs. Is it that difficult to keep your dog on a leash?

Point Invalid... Look at my dog
    43359607_2944.jpg
    The world should revolve around his cuteness... that would make the world a better place
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member

Running away will put some dogs in predator mode.... Sorry, but I'm out for a RUN!!!!

So I should change the way I move, the way I stand, the way I breathe, my pace, my attitude, etc...in order to ensure that someone else's dog doesn't approach me? Why is this on me? I have done all those things...I shouldn't freakin have to.

I'm not saying it's on you at all. I'm just saying what might help if you find yourself in a problem situation. A problem dog doesn't care about your exercise program or who has which rights :D
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

Point Invalid... Look at my dog
    43359607_2944.jpg
    The world should revolve around his cuteness... that would make the world a better place

Your dog is adorable, but that doesn't mean its ok for it to be off leash.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

When I was a kid, I was riding my bike when two dogs started chasing me. They ripped a hole in my pants and broke the skin where they bit through the fabric. I thought they were going to pull me off my bike.

I run in a nature preserve that is off limits to dogs. People ignore the signs and bring their dogs anyway. A few years ago, a big dog (off-leash) ran up behind me and knocked me down on the trail. I injured my knee and couldn't run for about a year after that.

Most dogs I meet are friendly, but not all of them "just want to say Hi."
  • elyelyse

I'm not saying it's on you at all. I'm just saying what might help if you find yourself in a problem situation. A problem dog doesn't care about your exercise program or who has which rights :D

I don't expect the dog to care, I expect the owner to have respect for other people. If you let your off leash dog appraoch a person without their permission, you are being disrespectful. Period. Especially if I ask you while you are far enough away to please not let your dog approach me. I have people look me right in the face and refuse to keep their dog away from me. One guy said "hey, I can't control her" and in one of those rare occasions when I think of something good to say before it's too late, I replied "well, I guess that makes you the b!tch"
This discussion has been closed.