Your dog

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

You sound mighty salty...

Shovel? You know... for all that sand in your vagina...

For the record... my dogs are safe and sound from erratic runners, wielding an arsenal. Oh yeah, and vice-versa. ;)

I'm not salty, but people in hospital emergency rooms getting stitches and rabies shots probably are.

And I have a hunch that your dogs are nowhere nearly as well behaved as you think they are...
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BTW, in Florida if a dog bites someone it gets put down. One and done.

And yet Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman walk amongst us, still. Go figure.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I understand your concern for yourself, perhaps your concern is for others as well, so would suggest you file a complaint with the police department regarding the unsafe conditions of your neighborhood. I have two dogs, 55 & 75 lbs, and I wish people would stop coming up to them while I walk them, b/c my oldest (& biggest) will attack if he thinks I'm being threatened in anyway. Comes down to human responsibility, not the dog's.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    BTW, in Florida if a dog bites someone it gets put down. One and done.

And yet Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman walk amongst us, still. Go figure.

Exactly. I know of two squirrels I would rather see living than those two. Those squirrels terrorize my dogs, too, so they are not my favorite furry friends or anything like that, lol
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Another run, another stupid f*cking owner letting his wild-*kitten* dog run up to me like he was going to attack me. If your dog tends to run out of the yard and chase people, here's an idea - keep it on a f*cking leash or chain, or in a fenced in yard.

Oh lord, when my dog was a pup and we would be walking and this SAME thing happened, I would scoop him up. My fiancé would be like "Stop it, you are going to give him a complex!" I was just so worried he would get hurt! I kept doing that until he hit about 30lbs, then figured he could fend for himself. He is now 55lbs and if a random dog runs up to him, he is friendly...until they pull an "Elvis lip" and then he wants to eat their face. A lady brought her dog over to meet Nash (our dog) the other day and her dog gave him the Elvis and Nash was all "Rawr, Rawr, RAWR!" and the dog peed himself. Oops. And if our three-year old is with us...wow. He hates when other dogs are closer to her than him.

There is neighbor on our street that has had THREE DIFFERENT dogs get loose and bite kids. AND THEY KEEP GIVING THEM BACK!!! I think it is because they are little dogs. (And my poor big baby pitador who wears princess crowns the three year old puts on him and snuggles under the blankets with us and is best friends with the mailman is the one getting s*%#ty looks out on walks) When we were adopting our dog, she was picking up one of them and said "I'm sure we will see you again." WTF!!?? We have a fenced in yard so luckily they don't get to us, but every time I see one loose, I call animal control.

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Oh lord, when my dog was a pup and we would be walking and this SAME thing happened, I would scoop him up. My fiancé would be like "Stop it, you are going to give him a complex!" I was just so worried he would get hurt! I kept doing that until he hit about 30lbs, then figured he could fend for himself. He is now 55lbs and if a random dog runs up to him, he is friendly...until they pull an "Elvis lip" and then he wants to eat their face. A lady brought her dog over to meet Nash (our dog) the other day and her dog gave him the Elvis and Nash was all "Rawr, Rawr, RAWR!" and the dog peed himself. Oops. And if our three-year old is with us...wow. He hates when other dogs are closer to her than him.

There is neighbor on our street that has had THREE DIFFERENT dogs get loose and bite kids. AND THEY KEEP GIVING THEM BACK!!! I think it is because they are little dogs. (And my poor big baby pitador who wears princess crowns the three year old puts on him and snuggles under the blankets with us and is best friends with the mailman is the one getting s*%#ty looks out on walks) When we were adopting our dog, she was picking up one of them and said "I'm sure we will see you again." WTF!!?? We have a fenced in yard so luckily they don't get to us, but every time I see one loose, I call animal control.

My aunt was actually attacked by a pack of tiny dogs - ended up in ER getting stitches. I think people just don't discipline them or don't consider them dogs if they are tiny. They just let them run rampant and think it's cute.

I have been bitten by a Yorkie. Didn't break skin -but the owner was just shocked that little stinky poo lovie pie would have done that. I didn't provoke said Yorkie - cutie snugims nipped me when I wasn't doing anything. Thought I was getting too close to their territory (um, owner/servant)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's simple: if you can't control your dog (and that includes stopping him running after the nice man in the OP) then you should keep him/her on a lead.

If you really are a dog lover, you would support this position as the most sensible to protect dogs (because we all know toodles/fido/butch/etc wouldn't hurt a fly). But then, if you're letting a dog you can't control off the lead, then you're probably not much of a dog lover. More like an asshat who shouldn't be in charge of another living being.

Oh, and this is much more fitness and exercise related than most of the crap that gets posted in here.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was out for a run and attacked by a German Shepherd. It was terrifying. The owner was right there, paying no attention to it. I screamed at him to control his dog, and he said "he doesn't listen to me, what am I supposed to do?!".

For real. He said that while blood was coursing out of my leg.

What if instead of my leg it had been a little kid's face?

I guess the OP was a little aggressive in his opening post, but really, why so much hating on him?! As an avid animal lover, I know you love your dogs, but this kind of thing can be extremely dangerous!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump. I need to sleep now, but I see there are dog pictures! I'll be back in 8 hours.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

what? Jazzy my 110lb baby girl akita just wanted to say hi.

jazzy.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I guess the OP was a little aggressive in his opening post, but really, why so much hating on him?! As an avid animal lover, I know you love your dogs, but this kind of thing can be extremely dangerous!

The opening post was submitted shortly after my run. If being chased by a snarling dog doesn't get your adrenaline pumping, check your pulse, you may need a defibrillator...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

The opening post was submitted shortly after my run. If being chased by a snarling dog doesn't get your adrenaline pumping, check your pulse, you may need a defibrillator...

glad you were not hurt but this topic did give me a chance to post a pic of my fur baby so thanks. :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, there is a huge difference between a dog running up toward you and a dog attacking you, so it is worth mentioning. If you know and are comfortable with dog behavior you'd probably be more comfortable on your runs in neighborhoods with dogs, imho.

I can't decide if it's rude or not. I'd have to see the specific case, the neighborhood, the dog, etc.

QFMFT
  • RunThinLift2Tone
    Options
    I agree, strange dogs suck when running. I always stop, point at it and yell harshly "GO HOME!" and it has always worked. (so far, fingers crossed)
  • abickford82
    Options
    One of the reasons I picked home workouts...I just got sick of it. If I ever have access to a treadmill I use it, but despite leash laws being in effect people treat their dogs like they're humans and see no reason for it. It's annoying.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I agree, strange dogs suck when running. I always stop, point at it and yell harshly "GO HOME!" and it has always worked. (so far, fingers crossed)

Actually, that works on almost everyone...
  • abickford82
    Options
    A few years ago I was out for a run and attacked by a German Shepherd. It was terrifying. The owner was right there, paying no attention to it. I screamed at him to control his dog, and he said "he doesn't listen to me, what am I supposed to do?!".

For real. He said that while blood was coursing out of my leg.

What if instead of my leg it had been a little kid's face?

I'm so sorry this happend to you. The worst that ever happend to me was I got nipped on my calf before the owner pulled him off me. What ever happend if you don't mind me asking?
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I was attacked in someone's living room by her 2 pitbulls when she left the room to get a soda in the kitchen. I don't blame the dogs. She was clearly NOT a good dog owner and didn't put any effort into raising those dogs with obediance or discipline.

Glad no one got hurt on your run, op.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    note to self, must keep my Greater Swiss Mountain Dog on leash...

I SO want a Greater Swiss!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I understand peoples frustration with such dog owners, I have them myself, but punishing or even worse hurting the dog because you lose your self control isn't going to win you any karma points. You are the one with a brain and a conscious mind; you should try using them.

so self defence doesnt apply when it comes to dogs. ive been attacked (albeit minorly) by dogs 3 times as a kid. as an adult i had a rotty bearing down on me, it went for my leg, i got my leg out the way in time and booted it in the head.

if i had a dog running at me and i was unable to determine its intention (sometimes you can tell when a dog is just being friendly or is angry), i wouldnt hesitate in hurting it to protect myself. am i just meant to sit there and let it chew my leg off?

happily it hasnt happened to me, and i have no fear of dogs. i have actually caught a few strays around my house and office and called the animal welfare league to come and get them. but if i was being charged at by an angry dog then all bets are off.
This discussion has been closed.