Your dog

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    resurrecting, but i have to vent.

i was run down by a loose dog while out running the other day.

if you have one and can't keep it under control, keep it leashed or in a fenced in yard.

or, your dog will meet my foot.

That's funny...while out walking 2 bully dogs on NY's Eve day, a runner came flying up behind me on the sidewalk & I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the footfalls behind me :sick:

She HAD to run on the sidewalk, so she waited till the very last few feet before rolling up on us, to move into the street. The dogs and I heard hear at the same time & I had to hang on for dear life to keep from becoming a kite :grumble: We recovered & continued our walk despite the minor interruption.

It happens.
    Meh.
    If all I've got to kvetch about is a stranger not being considerate of me, well, life's pretty good :blushing:

I'm just glad I wasn't my 85# APBT who's fearful of *everything* or the 150# Choc Lab that was my next appointment who's *also* easily startled. That train I wouldn't have been able to stop. :drinker:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

if you have one and can't keep it under control, keep it leashed or in a fenced in yard.

That's funny...while out walking 2 bully dogs on NY's Eve day, a runner came flying up behind me on the sidewalk & I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard the footfalls behind me :sick:

She HAD to run on the sidewalk, so she waited till the very last few feet before rolling up on us, to move into the street. The dogs and I heard hear at the same time & I had to hang on for dear life to keep from becoming a kite :grumble: We recovered & continued our walk despite the minor interruption.

It happens.
    Meh.
    If all I've got to kvetch about is a stranger not being considerate of me, well, life's pretty good :blushing:

I'm just glad I wasn't my 85# APBT who's fearful of *everything* or the 150# Choc Lab that was my next appointment who's *also* easily startled. That train I wouldn't have been able to stop. :drinker:

sorry. big difference between a person getting within a few feet of you before moving out of the way, and a strange dog running up to you with teeth bared and jumping on you.
  • hookilau
    Options

It happens.
    Meh.

sorry. big difference between a person getting within a few feet of you before moving out of the way, and a strange dog running up to you with teeth bared and jumping on you.

Ok....slippery slope ahead.
    I am not always able to stop the dogs I'm walking & when they 'alert' with teeth bared, It's not a good scene all around.
    We were only startled & we recovered quickly because the bullies I had been walking were a little better socialized than the other dogs I walk.

I'm a professional dog walker in a suburban neighborhood where there isn't usually anyone out during the day but me, the SAHM's & retirees.

Again I say. Meh. :laugh:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

and, if you had lost control of those dogs and they came at me, as a runner, instinct would kick in as well as adrenaline and i would have not hesitated to kick them. if you can't control them, perhaps you shouldn't be walking them.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

and, if you had lost control of those dogs and they came at me, as a runner, instinct would kick in as well as adrenaline and i would have not hesitated to kick them. if you can't control them, perhaps you shouldn't be walking them.

Seriously...if you don't have control over the animal, you should not be subjecting the public to them. That's incredibly irresponsible. The fact that you don't see that as a problem is distressing.
  • hookilau
    Options

I seriously don't care, good luck if you think you can kick my dog :laugh:
    If your arrogant enough to come running full speed at a stranger, then I hope I don't meet up with the likes of you for your sake. My pepper spray will reach you LONG before the dog does :laugh: :blushing:
  • hookilau
    Options

Seriously...if you don't have control over the animal, you should not be subjecting the public to them. That's incredibly irresponsible. The fact that you don't see that as a problem is distressing.

While I thank you for your concern, I don't share it :drinker:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Loose dogs is exactly why I carry a club with me while walking. If the owner can't stop them, they get a taste o' me lead-filled shelleighleigh upside the skull. One whack has been enough. Two for pit bulls.
  • pcole1smile
    Options
    Wow! I bet you may find it hard to believe the world does not actually revolve around you. Believe it or not the day that dog got out of the yard and chased you, which BTW is their own natural chase drive instinct, his owner accidentally forgot to latch the gate because he had gotten a emergency call. The best way to get a dog to chase you is run from him. If you do not like that possibility try the kinder approach and help you neighbor out by taking a moment to put his dear pet back in the yard, latch his gate and get on with your run. No one will know except you, the dog and the man upstairs but I promise you will be a lot less stressed out if you do...
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Loose dogs is exactly why I carry a club with me while walking. If the owner can't stop them, they get a taste o' me lead-filled shelleighleigh upside the skull. One whack has been enough. Two for pit bulls.

This had me LOL so hard! I don't even run where I live any more because of the dogs but when I do and because it is early morning and still dark, I carry my steel bat with me. Now I don't want to have to use it, but I will to protect myself and thankfully I've never had to.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Lol!

Worth revisiting this necro thread for alone....
  • hookilau
    Options

Loose dogs are a concern to everyone, I don't think it matters what the breed is. We don't see them much here in my neighborhood in NY (at least on the street). The last 2 loose dogs I saw were loose because someone didn't close the gate or something & one I was able to convince to get in my car with me (a wee thing) then we drove around till we found someone looking very distressed a couple of blocks away. They were pretty glad to see little 'schmoopy' or whatever his name was :laugh:

The other dog was just scared stupid cause he gets yelled at every time he darts out the front door & was afraid to go home with his very angry lady. She was standing in the middle of the street & her and the dog had a funny Mexican standoff thing happening :ohwell: I helped her corral him in someone's yard & snared him with an extra leash I had in the car.

Not all dogs are out to 'get' people/runners/etc. yanno :flowerforyou:
  • hookilau
    Options
    Wow! I bet you may find it hard to believe the world does not actually revolve around you. Believe it or not the day that dog got out of the yard and chased you, which BTW is their own natural chase drive instinct, his owner accidentally forgot to latch the gate because he had gotten a emergency call. The best way to get a dog to chase you is run from him. If you do not like that possibility try the kinder approach and help you neighbor out by taking a moment to put his dear pet back in the yard, latch his gate and get on with your run. No one will know except you, the dog and the man upstairs but I promise you will be a lot less stressed out if you do...

:laugh: :drinker:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Loose dogs are a concern to everyone, I don't think it matters what the breed is. We don't see them much here in my neighborhood in NY (at least on the street). The last 2 loose dogs I saw were loose because someone didn't close the gate or something & one I was able to convince to get in my car with me (a wee thing) then we drove around till we found someone looking very distressed a couple of blocks away. They were pretty glad to see little 'schmoopy' or whatever his name was :laugh:

The other dog was just scared stupid cause he gets yelled at every time he darts out the front door & was afraid to go home with his very angry lady. She was standing in the middle of the street & her and the dog had a funny Mexican standoff thing happening :ohwell: I helped her corral him in someone's yard & snared him with an extra leash I had in the car.

Not all dogs are out to 'get' people/runners/etc. yanno :flowerforyou:

Well, meself at least, can tell the difference between an aggressive dog, a friendly dog, and a skeered dog.

That said, ALL loose dogs are a threat to cyclists, regardless of their mindset.
  • hookilau
    Options
    :laugh: @ skeered dog!
  • brianages
    Options
    I win the "Ugly Dog" contest.

vscj6w.jpg
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Well, meself at least, can tell the difference between an aggressive dog, a friendly dog, and a skeered dog.

Really? Because I guarantee that if you ever saw my dog barking at you you'd stop and wonder whether or not he's friendly or aggressive because he has a seriously frightening bark. When we first obtained him (some asshat dumped him off at the end of our road and we took him in) a friend of mine who has a rottie -- who is huge and pretty scary himself --came to the door and the dog started barking up a storm. Said friend was afraid to come in the house based on how the dog was acting. He did come in and got licked to death but my point is that you can't tell how a dog is going to react based on how they're acting.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

vscj6w.jpg

How in the world is that dog even remotely ugly? I love him!
  • Shellerini
    Shellerini Posts: 57 Member
    Options

vscj6w.jpg

awww cutest puppy ever
  • 360hope360
    Options
    Fenced yard is good, its not the dogs fault, its the owners. Should always keep your dog fenced but on hot days keep him inside. If he is aggressive- get him trained.
This discussion has been closed.