Ladies, I need your opinions on birth control!

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    the pull out method doesn't make u fat like the pill!
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options
    The Pull Out has been shown to be over 99 percent effective

Lies. Pull out is approximately as effective as condom use when used correctly. 27% of women will get pregnant in one year from using the pull-out method incorrectly. Most men don't have enough self-control to do it right.

I assumed he was being sarcastic. Pretty sure we know it's lies lol

Not being sarcastic I've practiced this 1000's of times and only 2 hits.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you insist on having birth control I suggest getting an IUD. They say they don't give them to people w/o kids, but they really do. My friend has one.

Not even an option for women with heavier periods. Did you know that?

False.
    No, it's not false. Mirena has hormones, therefore she is not talking about Mirena.

The copper IUD causes heavier periods and therefore is not an option for women who already have heavy flows. I know this because I looked into it for myself and actualy researched and discussed it with my doctor.
    Mirena, for most women, stops periods. Its great...so not sure if the statement that they don't give it to women with heavy periods is true.
    BUT, like PPs mentioned, not sure if they let you get it if you don't have a child. One of my friends doesn't even want kids and they still won't let her get it. She's only 27 so it might depend on your age too.
  • MrsCamp2013
    MrsCamp2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tried different types for 7 years, and never did find one I liked. I originally went on bc when I was 16 (approx) to regulate my periods, and then I just wouldnt get any periods. I was on Yaz. I would go 2-3 months without one. Not a big deal at that age. When I started doing the deed with my now husband, I was concerned because I would wonder if I was pregnant. So I went in and got put on something else to give me more regular periods (Loestrin) , and it didnt work, so she put me on an off brand of loestrin with a different hormone dose (can't remember the name, sorry) and it regulated me, but it gave me the worse pms. I was in so much pain I couldn't handle it. So I just recently (about 3-4 months ago) went off birth control all together, and I am so much happier! Totally regular periods, manageable pms and cramps! Just the hubs and I have to use a different form of BC (condoms) which are pretty effective if you use them the right way.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Best birth control: self love.

Just saying.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    the pull out method doesn't make u fat like the pill!

Unless you mess up and get preggers. Oops!
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've been on alesse and I'm not sure if i'm having bad reactions to it.... My pharmacy mixed me back and forth from alesse to another brand because it was cheaper but they said it was the same pill... except when getting alesse you are paying for the brand name.

Now I was perfectly fine before i started birth control... Regular cycle, no pain from cycle and whatever. I essentially just started them as a secondary protection with my hubby. so we would have a choice to use a condom or not.

However, since i started using them i feel as though my cycle is never on a certain schedule and i've also been getting more and more menstrual pains. It was nothing at first but now it gets pretty bad sometimes.

Another thing i've noticed is that after orgasm, or even out of the blue, i get extremely severe pain in my uterus area for about 10 minutes. Pain that i literally go through the thoughts of "am i dying?"

so I don't know if this is from the birth control but when i looked up the issues i'm having a lot of people suggesting it could be the birth control messing with my hormones. It's typically that or menopause.. but i'm 23 so unless i'm having it severely early....

anyways, i haven't gotten pregnant, that's the bright side but the down side is that i'm possibly having really harsh side effects.

Goodluck!

(Don't worry to anyone who reads this, i am seeing doctors on this but you know doctors... takes them a while to figure out what it could be sometimes... )
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was on the mini pill. I just recently stopped. I had been on it since 6 weeks after having my daughter, so about 9 months. At first, while I was still breastfeeding it was fine because bf suppressed my period. Then, when I had to quit breastfeeding I began getting my period every 2 weeks instead of 28 days :grumble: You also have to take it at the exact time everyday for it to be effective. I didn't like it, I hated it. I'm going to go back to natural planning. I learned how to use opks and basal body temperature to predict and track ovulation and it's very reliable if you have regular cycles. I began doing this because I went off of my birth control (full hormone, reg pill) and my cycles were really irregular. Shortly after, we decided to TTC and it was really hard to predict ovulation because of my irregular cycles. I blame that somewhat on the pill and a little on my weight on health at the time. I don't really trust any kind of BC that isn't natural planning due to my bad experiences with the pill and the mini pill. Natural planning and condoms are my preferences.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Pulling out works fine as long as she swallows.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mirena FTW! It really did hurt like a ***** when they put it in, and there was some cramping for about a week afterwards and a few weeks after that, I would get a painful twinge, but since then it's been a dream. I get some mild spotting every month, but not bad enough to need even the lightest pad and each month it gets a little lighter, so it looks like I'm on the road to no-period-ville! And my moods have been a lot more stable since switching from TriSprintec.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been on the mini pill for a few years. My brand of choice is Jolivette

One thing you have to know about the progesterone only pills is that you have to be very diligent about taking your pill on time every day. I know they say that about all BC pills but seriously, this is different. Instead of having a 24-48 window, these only have like 3-5 hours.

As someone else pointed out, you could take 10 different women on the same pill and they'll react differently but the only other thing I noticed is that my emotional PMS symptoms have really calmed down. I'll stil get a few zits and am tired and hungry and a bit whiny at times but I don't rage like a psycho anymore - or at least not unless someone REALLY pushes my buttons. :) In fact, I've had a couple of months where my period hit and I was completely shocked. Once I remembered I was breaking out and felt a bit more hungry the last couple days it made sense but that's how tame my symptoms are. I have to keep a couple pads in my purse, just in case! :)
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I avoid all hormonal birth control (including the Mirena IUD, which I tried).
    To me, the side effects outweigh the "convenience".

I wish I had never used hormonal BC, to be honest.

Same here.

It took me a long, long time to realize that the BC was why I was so exhausted all the time. That and the fact that my hormones were so wacked out I just didn't want that any more.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Best birth control: self love.

Just saying.

ForeverAlone.png
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used the Sympto-Thermal Method to avoid pregnancy for 5 years before conceiving my baby girl. (planned pregnancy)

http://www.tcoyf.com/

You don't need synthetic hormones. Like some of the others have said, I used hormones for several years before stumbling upon "fertility awareness" as a much better option. It takes more effort, but the benefits are worth the effort.
  • Ortho evra
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    formerly: ortho micronor (progesterone-only). no periods! just groovy
    now: no need. :grumble:
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa, I can't believe some of the responses in this post. I mean, I know it's the internet - but WOW.

There is a lot of extremism in terms of opinion here, but really!

First off, I've been on birth control for 13 years, due to my childhood doctor putting me on them due to acne - at 12. By acne, I mean pretty much none. Yes I dislike her for it, but I can't do anything about that now. But regardless, I've tried lots of different forms.

1 - Loette. A very low dose combined bcp. It worked great for me prior to being sexually active. As I 'filled out' the dose wasn't strong enough anymore. I had to take a step up at around age 20.

2 - Yaz & Yasmin - Yasmin gave me boobs! I loved it! I really loved the shape it gave me, and had no problems with it whatsoever. I was on Yaz for a short time, but went off it and back onto Loette because it was expensive for a college student. I was recently on Yasmin for 2 years. I DID NOT put on weight on it (well I did - but it wasn't because of it). I DID NOT put on a ton of weight after coming off it - in fact, I lost 5lbs. I didn't lose hair. I didn't break out like crazy. I didn't get bloated. I came off it simply because of the blood clot hype, and we travel a lot.

3 - I am now on Levlen, it's early days but it's going just fine. Nothing weird to report.

4- I've been on Nuvaring. I didn't like how it felt, so I went back on Yasmin at the time. Personal choice there.

5- I went off birth control many times throughout those 13 years and didn't notice any change in my personality for better or for worse. No crazy fluctuations in weight.

6 - In the next year, I will be taking myself off bcp simply because we want to conceive. I'm married. At no point during my dating history would I have ever considered not being on the bcp while dating or in relationships. Coming off bcp will be because I want to have a baby with my husband - it will be the right time. We will use condoms while I am trying to figure out my cycles.

Please ladies, we're all different. By all means, share your stories, including the horror stories, but it's not the case for everyone. Your horror story could be someone's miracle birth control. And god, I enjoy sex with my husband. I am quite happy to be on bcp so we can enjoy ourselves. Seriously.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Please ladies, we're all different. By all means, share your stories, including the horror stories, but it's not the case for everyone. Your horror story could be someone's miracle birth control. And god, I enjoy sex with my husband. I am quite happy to be on bcp so we can enjoy ourselves. Seriously.
    Indeed. And your miracle could be someone else's horror story. We ARE all different.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa, I can't believe some of the responses in this post. I mean, I know it's the internet - but WOW.

There is a lot of extremism in terms of opinion here, but really!

Yeah it's always impressive the number of physicians that are on this site. I didnt know we had so many gynecologists especially with some of the comments from the men.

Talk to your doctor, there is a lot of good long term data out there that shows the effectiveness of BCP, and when in doubt talk to your doctor.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Talk w/ your doc > asking strangers on teh interwebz